Car guys/girls that love engine sounds...how you feeling about the upcoming electric era?

• Thread starter furryboy96
  • 12 comments
United States
United States
bloodykills750
Like it says in the title, if you are like mean, the sound of a car means a lot to you especially when it comes to high performance vehicles. The roar of the engine greatly enhances the driving experience. However, the era of internal combustion will be coming to an end. I predict that 2035 will the last time that a new car with an internal combustion engine will be built. After that's it's all electric. Now I know that we are doing this to save our planet and that daving the planet is a lot more important than how nice your car sounds, I really do...I'm just not ready so say goodbye to the sound of an engine. I could easily accept electric cars if they made a decent sound but in my opinion, they just do not. I wish more companies would invest in low carbon synthetic fuel for engines like Porsche is doing but I don't think that's gonna happen. What I am hoping is that over time as technology continues to change and improve that someone will be able to create an electric car or motor that produces a nice sound without the use of fake noise via speakers. I know that sound dumb but we don't know what kind of tech we could have in the next 20 to 30 years. Anyone those are just my thoughts. What about you guys? It also makes me wonder how much longer will crate engines manufacturers continue to make internal combustion engines

Last edited:
Rip this into mp3 and play them while you drive.

EVs absolutely do make noise, especially high-performance ones. While it's not the rumble of an engine, it does sound sort of sci-fi like and it's cool in its own way. With that said, I'm not fused by engine noises going away. Ask the younger me and I'd be disappointed since I liked a shouty car, but now give me something reasonably quiet.
It also makes me wonder how much longer will crate engines manufacturers continue to make internal combustion engines
For as long as there's a market for them, which will be a really long time. But EV motor swaps are a thing and you'll see more and more EV resto-mods coming out too, so crate manufacturers will just switch what they're making.

Modern non-performance ICE cars are already pretty much silent (the fan and tires are really the only noisy bits) so I really don't have much concern over the sound an electric car makes.

Last edited:
For a daily driver, I don't care. My current car is pretty quiet under normal driving.

Sound is the least of my worries with an EV anyway.

Rip this into mp3 and play them while you drive.

:dopey:

The sound of a car's engine is its best "marker" for its speed...ugh, excuse my scuffed english, it's 3am... When I'm playing a racing game, I rely on the sound to determine my speed through a corner, rather than paying attention to the speedometer, so it's essential for me. Whenever I tried to take an EV around the track, or even that turbine Lotus in PC2, that sound sensor feeling is gone and it messes me up...making driving much more difficult.

In everyday driving, silence is nice, but I'm such an audiophile that even the sound of my 20-year-old diesel Clio gives me the "fizz", as May would say... There's just something about the sound and going through the gears that makes driving that much more fun.

If EVs had gears, and made a louder whizzing sound in "sport mode", I'd like them.

There's also the issue of not being able to hear an EV approaching which can make it dangerous for pedestrians, but I heard something about that issue being worked on...

I feel like the train has already left the station, and I don't care much about what kind of noise a 2022 car makes.

There's also the issue of not being able to hear an EV approaching which can make it dangerous for pedestrians, but I heard something about that issue being worked on...
That was a problem in parking lots and similar areas, but not so much on the road, because most of the sound that a car makes at speed comes from the tyres and the road. There is now legislation in place that requires quiet vehicles to produce sound at low speeds (<30 km/h in the US and <20 km/h in the EU).

There is now legislation in place that requires quiet vehicles to produce sound at low speeds (<30 km/h in the US and <20 km/h in the EU).
Some hybridized cars have been equipped with noisemakers for years. Enthusia even includes this detail on its first-generation Prius, which is one clue I had pointing to this fact.

Last edited:
Petrol turbo engines, which are the norm for ICE these days, already mute engine sounds to the point where high performance variants frequently have synthesised engine sounds. As @Wolfe stated, the point where ICE cars make authentically pleasant sounds has been and gone and no one was ever going to lament the passing of the sounds of a diesel engine anyway.

Considering that BMW is working with Hans Zimmer of all people to address this exact issue, I'm not terribly worried. Plus even the sounds of electric motors/transmissions have a certain futuristic appeal to them, like in Formula E.

Back