Car of the Week 228: COTY GTS Finale

• Thread starter Racer283
  • 3,110 comments
I'm not sure if you saw but Nicola Materazzi the guy behind Ferrari F40 project just passed away. Would anyone be up for a tribute of the F40 on Tuesday night.

I'm not sure if you saw but Nicola Materazzi the guy behind Ferrari F40 project just passed away. Would anyone be up for a tribute of the F40 on Tuesday night.
I wouldn’t say no to such an idea, throw the 288 GTO and the Stratos in as well.(Technically it was the Gr4 & Gr5 Stratos he worked on, but eh.):P

For the 200th week of COTW we will be paying a tribute to the man that helped create the Ferrari F40 and who also helped work on the Ferrari 288 GTO and Lancia Stratos Gr4 and Gr5 race cars. This week we will pay tribute to Nicola Materazzi. Bring out the Ferrari F40, Ferrari 288 GTO and Lancia Stratos.

nicola-materazzi-tra-bugatti-eb110-e-ferrari-f40.jpg

Ahhh, I was wondering when the 4C will finally be picked! This car was by far the biggest surpirse to me! This is an N200 class car...do I need to say more? Managed on the Nordschleife a 07.59.634. All stock as always of course.

Nordschleife rivals:

Tsukuba rivals:

Verdict: A deserved, certicified sleeper.

Last edited:
It's no secret by this point that I despise most of the Italian cars I've driven here for Car of the Week. They always seem to have some baffling, inexplicable quirk to them, like having an asinine obsession of quoting their dry mass, an addiction to understeer like Lamborghini, or just sheer, utter bloodlust like the Stratos and Countach. I groan internally every time an Italian car gets chosen, because it's almost a guarantee that it'd drive like like an ice skater on an oil spill. Hopefully you can imagine my surprise then, when Alfa came out with a tiny, carbon tubbed, RMR competitor with crosshairs aimed directly at Lotuses and Porsches.

Not only does it drive rather well counter to expectations, I actually find it rather hard to fault the 4C on the track. It's incredibly neutral, corners obscenely flat, with a front end that responds delightfully linearly with the wheel and pedals, has extremely short and rather close gearing, and has a healthy powerband from its tiny 1.7L turbo 4 Cylinder. But that is not to say that it's without its share of Italian quirks—The engine's powerband encourages drivers to avoid the last 500 or so revs as the engine dips off near redline, but third and fourth are so far apart that you have to rev out third to get the most of it, meaning you have to short shift the car in every gear except 3rd. But, much more damning than that is that there's just some Italian quirk about the differential of the car that makes it extremely nervous and snappy when on power. Even with TCS enabled, the car simply can't put down power without first swinging sideways, which it'll do at the drop of a hat with no warning or transition. Granted, it's not something a quick flick of opposite lock or two can't fix, but it really inspires a lot of fear rather than confidence from behind the wheel, which is the complete opposite of what I'm looking for in a sports car. Hell, I clench my butt cheeks every time I get on the power past the apex of a turn, and by the end of race day, my wrists were hurting from the ritualistic snap corrections I had to do with the steering wheel. It wouldn't be that surprising in something like, say, a Hellcat, but a 235HP car? Yeah, nah, not my thing.

While Italian cars are usually objectively terrible, but are loaded with a certain charm and personality that endears them, the 4C I find has the exact opposite problem, in that, objectively speaking, it's really good, but I find driving it an extremely flat, emotionless experience. I never once thought to myself, "oh wow, this is so fun, I want to keep driving this!", but rather, "oh, hm, yeah, this works, just have to be careful". I drove the 1997 MR2 GT-S and 2017 A110 on race day. Neither had the pace of the 4C, but the MR2 in particular I liked a lot more than the 4C, because not only was it much more consistent and stable, I actually found myself playing with it because of that. The A110 is... almost exactly like the 4C with some sliders moved around: more power, more mass, less oversteer, though still present.

Now, if we had an Exige or a production Cayman in the game, it'd be a lot easier to judge an Alfa 4C. As things are now though, I can only say I really can't find my groove in a 4C, and I find it an extremely stressful (and painful) car to drive. If you have better chemistry with it though, I can absolutely see it being a be all, end all benchmark car.

The only thing this car did well is a accelerate in a straight line; most likely from its undercooked springs that are less at home on a sports car, and more reminiscent of my cooking..... or the rear suspension of a muscle car that's only mission in life is to go 1/4 at a time. The only cool feature on this car was the g-force-Venn-Diagram-thingee on the instrument cluster. But you don't need to be Maverick, or an Italian tosser to know that the less than stellar G's aren't represented accurately by the cartwheels I narrowly avoid each time I pitch this car left or right.

While I might still be a douche bag, I'm not Itallian, and I'm no sucka. The only other time I EVER SEE MYSELF DRIVING THIS CAR AGAIN, is when we test it (or hopefully don't) in that new GT7 series that Esther keeps telling us about.

Beater.

On a much better note, as soon as I get back from surfing, I’m finally gonna put this bisnatch together. It’s already dog-approved!

FC0C1934-88F3-451C-B089-C0BE1B6A94DB.jpeg

Last edited:
Just a side note, the modern A110 and the car of the week have, since GTS' inception, been banned in the lower classes in the "Legend of the Streets" street-racing community on here. That says something about how they stack up against other road cars.

Nissan has had a couple of goes at Le Mans with it's top finish in 1990 with the R90CP. Nissan haven't had the best of luck with Le Mans but they have some of the best looking or weirdly made Le Mans cars such as the '15 GT-R LM Nismo, ZEOD, Delta Wing and R390. This week we look at the Group C Nissan R92CP. This week birthday boy @Yard_Sale chose the car.

957dd1a2c0e6628c5f8354fea5b926ab.jpg

Nissan has had a couple of goes at Le Mans with it's top finish in 1990 with the R90CP. Nissan haven't had the best of luck with Le Mans but they have some of the best looking or weirdly made Le Mans cars such as the '15 GT-R LM Nismo, ZEOD, Delta Wing and R390. This week we look at the Group C Nissan R92CP. This week birthday boy @Yard_Sale chose the car.

957dd1a2c0e6628c5f8354fea5b926ab.jpg
Oh heck yes!!!
I will be super rusty tonight, but hopefully won't make too much of an ass of myself.
I love this car. Already have a livery I love ready to go. But haven't played in almost 2 weeks...
See y'all on the track! Glad to be back.

As I mentioned before the race at Brands Hatch from tonight’s racing, Group C’s racing around there wasn’t something that you’d only see in games, heck they ran 1000km races with them around there too. :eek:

Here’s a tasting from the 1985 running of the race. ;)

And if that’s wet your appetite or re-enforced your beliefs that they were madmen, the uploader has some footage from other runnings of that race, have fun. :cheers:

As I mentioned before the race at Brands Hatch from tonight’s racing, Group C’s racing around there wasn’t something that you’d only see in games, heck they ran 1000km races with them around there too. :eek:

Here’s a tasting from the 1985 running of the race. ;)

And if that’s wet your appetite or re-enforced your beliefs that they were madmen, the uploader has some footage from other runnings of that race, have fun. :cheers:

I've got like 3000 miles on that car and you still smoked me.
You are a true master of the game sir.

The R92CP is a BEAST. I managed a 05.33.635 around the Nords with it. The fastest of the old Gr.1/LeMans monsters, the second fastest real life Gr.1 car and the fourth fastest Gr.1 car overall=it's a monster. Driven stock on hard racing tyres without any driving aids, except ABS.

Verdict: BEAST

Sadly I have IRL commitments tomorrow, so I'll be missing out on the TT.

...which probably means it's a very good car, given the stuff I've been forced to miss out on.

Ah, the Audi. I don't remember this car much, except for the time that it and the other FF cars were incredibly busted in Sport Mode BOP due to having far higher top speeds. I do have to question why there are FWD racing cars with 300+ WHP, but I suppose someone will answer me in no time flat.

The car was pretty numb to be honest. As far as front wheel drive cars go, it felt almost usable. Off throttle it turned very well.
That is the level of excitement this car gave me.
Having said that, the racing was great! It's a hard car to pass with it due to the understeer so it made for some great battles.
Verdict: crap, but still better than the Mito.

We are going for a classic JDM car for this week. It finds itself among the Fairlady sisters. Earlier versions of this car has been used as antagonist in Need for Speed Underground 2 and Fast and Furious: Tokyo Drift. Through out the years this is still one of those favorite cars among JDM purists and car culture. This weeks car is the Nissan Fairlady Version S '07. This weeks car is chosen by @Vic Reign93

2005-Nissan-350Z-scaled.jpg

I’ll be out tonight dudes. Predictably, I’m at work for the next few days. On the other hand, expect a Nissan RC-whatever-92 report, cold off the press and dead on arrival by early next week.

Maaaaaaaybe sooner…. but probably later.

In a nutshell, the Z33 is almost exactly the same as it was in FH5 COTW. The only differences as noted by Vic and I are that the springs are a little softer and that the tires we used are two grades up from the FH5 counterpart.

...That, and it correctly uses the VQ V6 sound in GTS rather than the E46 M3's engine sound.

It's a Sleeper. To paraphrase Vic from the FH5 thread, it's a decent car that's not got one stat that's too high...Though the top speed is quite good.

And I will now curse you all with the knowledge that a hardcore offroad variant of the Z33 exists in FH5:
ZCOTW3.PNG

Managed a 07.58.255 on the Nords with it. Made a little mistake just before the last right hand corner. Could have easily been a 07:57.xxx and with this better than all the other Japanse sport cars with ~300hp, except the allmighty Skyline R34 from the 2000s. Great, great car this. What a joy to drive. Just excellent!
Driven stock on hard sport tyres without any driving aids, except ABS. First lap in third person view, second one in cockpit view and third one in cinematic replay view. All driven laps are the same lap.

Nordschleife rivals:

Tsukuba rivals:

Verdict: slight sleeper?

Back