Car of the Week 228: COTY GTS Finale

• Thread starter Racer283
  • 3,110 comments
We begin a new year of COTW. Hopefully we will see another exciting year of rivalries, close races, maybe some new members and of course cars. This week our new member to the COTW Family was chosen to select the first car for the 2023 season. This week we are taking a look at the Peugeot RCZ Gr.4. This weeks car is chosen by @Jackattack-i

latest

THE slowest Gr. 4 entry of the 28 in total. It's really nice to drive though.
Driven stock on hard racing tyres without any driving aids, except ABS. First lap in third person view, second one in cockpit view and third one in cinematic replay view. All driven laps are the same lap.

Managed a 07.07.505 on RH tyres on the Nords with it.

Verdict: neutral in general, somewhat a beater in the Gr.4 section

I already told everyone in our PS Chat group, but I figure I might as well share the news here anyway.

My 7 year old Logitech G29 wheel broke during race day when we ran the RCZ Gr.4. I heard two loud snaps from the wheel motor housing when I went off track at Suzuka Turn 1, and now my wheel can't turn left more than 90 degrees, which isn't even enough to Spoon properly. Local Logitech support tells me that repairing the wheel will cost about the same as a whole new wheel, and so I might as well just get a new one altogether.

Problem is I'm barely scraping by day to day as is, and so saving up for a new, (hopefully) more expensive wheel is going to take a while. I'm not sure how long exactly, but I'll be out of racing and writing for a good while.

I could try racing with a DS5, but because I've had my G29 for more than 7 years, I've also not driven on a controller for 7 years, which is also to say, "I've never driven on a controller in GTS". Not to mention, if I'm struggling just to keep the car on the track, I don't know how valid an opinion I can give you about any car.

The RCZ Gr.4 was a blast and a half to race wheel to wheel with, though. Instead of giving up on reviewing it, I most likely will just delay it massively.

I already told everyone in our PS Chat group, but I figure I might as well share the news here anyway.

My 7 year old Logitech G29 wheel broke during race day when we ran the RCZ Gr.4. I heard two loud snaps from the wheel motor housing when I went off track at Suzuka Turn 1, and now my wheel can't turn left more than 90 degrees, which isn't even enough to Spoon properly. Local Logitech support tells me that repairing the wheel will cost about the same as a whole new wheel, and so I might as well just get a new one altogether.

Problem is I'm barely scraping by day to day as is, and so saving up for a new, (hopefully) more expensive wheel is going to take a while. I'm not sure how long exactly, but I'll be out of racing and writing for a good while.

I could try racing with a DS5, but because I've had my G29 for more than 7 years, I've also not driven on a controller for 7 years, which is also to say, "I've never driven on a controller in GTS". Not to mention, if I'm struggling just to keep the car on the track, I don't know how valid an opinion I can give you about any car.

The RCZ Gr.4 was a blast and a half to race wheel to wheel with, though. Instead of giving up on reviewing it, I most likely will just delay it massively.
Try to save up for a T300RS. worthwhile upgrade.

Seriously SUCKS to hear!
sad-crying.gif

(Not even kidding)

This car originally started as a VGT project for Gran Turismo but in recent iterations of Gran Turismo has become the car of the World Championships. This car was created by Adrian Newey who is the Chief Technical Engineer for Red Bull Racing. Let's see what real championship players race with when they go for the coveted Gran Turismo Trophy. This week we are taking a look at the Red Bull X2019. This weeks car is chosen by @Nismonath5

latest

This car originally started as a VGT project for Gran Turismo but in recent iterations of Gran Turismo has become the car of the World Championships. This car was created by Adrian Newey who is the Chief Technical Engineer for Red Bull Racing. Let's see what real championship players race with when they go for the coveted Gran Turismo Trophy. This week we are taking a look at the Red Bull X2019. This weeks car is chosen by @Nismonath5

latest
Oh boy. Making this COTW after the utter havoc in Nations last Saturday at Road Atlanta? This will end well. /s

See clips #5 and #1 for the total mayhem this spawn of Satan will cause.

The way I see it, this car is the final boss of Gran Turismo.

Why?

Say you're Valerio Gallo. Or Igor Fraga, or whichever top GTWS driver you like. You're at the world finals, one race away from ultimate glory. That final race will always be run in the X2019.

That means that no matter what your opinion of it, whether you like it, hate it, or otherwise, you'll come up short of Gran Turismo's grand prize if you don't master it.

Last edited:
It’ll certainly be a machine that’ll ask the most of you as a driver to try and tame it.

Despite packing slightly more power than the X2014 Standard with over 800hp from a 3.0 litre V12, it’s actually much slower than the X2014 round a track.

The X2014 Standard is for chasing lap records without needing the Fan Car assist, the X2019 Competition is for chasing opponents at high speeds in close proximity of each other.

In fact the RBX hierarchy would be like this if they all came back in the future.

Starting with the RBR 125 Kart, then moving to the X2014 Junior and then afterwards you jump up to the X2019 Competition.

The X2014 Standard will be the last step before getting into the RBX Fan Cars, which’ll be with the X2014 model, Then the X2010 Fan Car(The Vettel version for arguments sake.) and lastly the X2011 Prototype at the top of the RBX mountain.
👍

I mean it could do with an RBX car between the Junior and the Competition, but not much else. 😉

Take that all into consideration when we do race it and you find yourself just about hanging on to it through the turns, because it could be A LOT faster. :P

Ohh finally the LC500! One of the positive surprised to me in the game and one of the most beautiful cars in GTS/GT7 and of recent times in general. Feels heavy, but at the same time also surprisingly nimble. On the Nords, stock on SH tyres, I could manage a 07.45.903.

Nordschleife rivals:

Tsukuba rivals:

Verdict: Definatly a sleeper to me.

Time to move away from 21st century and head down to a classic British car from the 1900s. Jaguar has a pretty storied history in auto racing since the end of World War II. All of Jaguar models started with X and went through the alphabet until Chief Engineer Williams Heynes stopped with K. From then on Jaguar cars would always start with XK and then add the model letter. Jaguar E-type would be a combination of two thoroughbred race cars. It got its inspiration from the prototype XKSS and the D-Type. This week we are taking a look at the classic Jaguar E-Type. This weeks car is chosen by Racer.

297694446_10160867872766874_3918625896846805674_n.jpg

The Jaguar E-Type if oft cited as the most beautiful car ever made. To my filthy millennial eyes though, that honour has always belonged to the FD RX-7, but it might surprise some to learn that the designers of said third gen RX-7 were heavily inspired by the E-Type.

I'm usually not big on driving these ancient cars, but missing out on the E-Type especially stings for me.

Last night there were only three of us, @Vic Reign93, @Baron Blitz Red, and I. We did a couple of races on GTS before we did couple test races on GT7. From what we saw on GT7, was that the connection between us was pretty decent. We hardly noticed any stuttering or jumping between us three but we would like to do a big stress test in the coming weeks with majority of the COTW crew to get a better feel of the connection between everyone. We are looking at holding the stress test on one of our Tuesday nights or we can plan it on a different day.

Let us know what you all think.

Well I'll be representing the PS4 Pro crew, with all the bells and whistles... (Bells and whistles sold separately lol)

Just let me know and I'll be there if you'll have me.

Cheers

Last night there were only three of us, @Vic Reign93, @Baron Blitz Red, and I. We did a couple of races on GTS before we did couple test races on GT7. From what we saw on GT7, was that the connection between us was pretty decent. We hardly noticed any stuttering or jumping between us three but we would like to do a big stress test in the coming weeks with majority of the COTW crew to get a better feel of the connection between everyone. We are looking at holding the stress test on one of our Tuesday nights or we can plan it on a different day.

Let us know what you all think.
PS5 gang here. I’d prefer to do the test at our regular time.

Well , the person who picks this week's victim , might also pick a car that's available in both games... Just an idea.

Last week's test , Racer didn't own the E type, so we ran a mix. But the random that joined ran a car that was unfairly quick. Not sure if the lobby can be set to Friends only, but maybe if available, we could try that for the testing.

Just spitting out ideas here.

Cheers

Lobbies can indeed be set to Friends Only.

No guarantees but I can try to be there on my basic PS4.

e: I have an idea of some cars that could be used...I'd need to check though.

Last edited:
It’ll likely be a Brand Central pick if we’re doing a car that’s on both games, I’ve seen a few cars on Alex’s list that, A: we haven’t driven yet, B: are available in Brand Central and C: aren’t going to break the bank. :)

The impromptu GT7 test was more for checking lobby stability more than anything so I was playing quite loose with the regulations, but I can easily button up all that for the trial run. :D

As I mentioned during the test, the BOP does well in ensuring all things stay equal (as long as there’s no widebody or engine swapped cars as they can’t enter.), but there’s currently no Track Voting and any lobby changes aren’t made known to the lobby so it might be a good habit to start quickly double checking the regulations yourselves.

Last edited:
Managed a 07.49.948. Expected it to be about this "fast". Has even lower top speed than the Maserati GT. I really like how it looks and it's rather fun to drive. Very drifty. The fun kind of drifty.
Driven stock on hard sport tyres without any driving aids, except ABS. First lap in third person view, second one in cockpit view and third one in cinematic replay view. All driven laps are the same lap.

Sorry for not being able to attend the GT7 test. How was it for everyone?

I've been loosely keeping up with Obelisk's weekly spec racing series on GT7, where he runs the 2002 Copen and the two pickup trucks. I have to say, I wasn't impressed by the state of GT7 lobbies now that we're almost a year into the game's life, with even some PS4 players visibly lagging despite the host being on a PS4 as well.

Watching the replays Vic shared however, the connection was butter smooth! There was a good mix of PS4s and PS5s, and after the first few turns, I completely forgot I was supposed to be watching for lag, and just enjoying watching the weekly shenanigans as per usual.

Trial Mountain Circuit__1.jpeg

Trial Mountain Circuit_.jpeg

Daytona Tri-Oval_.jpeg

So, what is our opinion on GT7 as of now? Do we want to move onto GT7? I get the nagging feeling that even some of our regulars have gotten bored of GTS. Maybe moving onto GT7 will help?

I’ve got to start clearing space for GT7, hopefully my PS4 can handle it. I won’t be able to do the GT7 stint.
I've had about an hour on PS4 GT7 at a local shop when testing out wheels. If you don't mind a slight drop in graphical quality and having the time to have a quick wank in between every loading screen, the PS4 version plays just fine. I personally didn't encounter the freezing issue that plagues the PS4 version of GT7 that's been reported since November last year that is still not fixed in the current version, and that is something you will have to keep in mind if you're getting the PS4 version of GT7. IMO, GT7 as a game right now isn't worth buying a whole new system for, unless you're a VR fanatic.

Last edited:
Back