Car of the Week 228: COTY GTS Finale

• Thread starter Racer283
  • 3,110 comments
This week we are going racing with one of the few road going cars from Citroen. The car we are testing this week is the Citroen DS3 Racing. This weeks car is chosen from one of our newer members @FullhouseGame

14039-thumb.jpg

Great choice. I love this car.

Citron DS3 Racing
IMG_20200218_090453885.jpg

I tested this car, as usual, with no TC, SH tires, and no electronic nannies.

The Citron DS3 Racing was not what I expected; the car is a true French hot hatch, and that alone makes me like it. I also love the look of it, Citreon always makes impressive designs that almost look like pre production concepts. I love the livery it comes with stock, but as you can see I played around a bit with livery. I also loved the interior which was super interesting, but I'd have to lower it to drive it in that mode.

This is a neutral car all around. Acceleration is decent for an N200 until 4th year when it runs out of oomph. 1st is all wheelhop, but 2nd and 3rd pull fairly hard. This car has long gearing for a hot hatch, making it somewhat of a hot hatch grand touring car - the redline allows you to hit super high revs, meaning you must figure out where each gear truly ends so that you can milk the extra power at redline.

I took it to my testing current testing grounds, Sardegna Road Track A. The car achieved a somewhat impressive (especially for an N200) 2:25.004.
Cornering is so neutral in this car, with slight body roll in hard turns. The brakes are great and slow the car down very quickly.

Overall, I very much enjoyed this car, and it's one of my favorite N200s - but it's not a standout of N200 like the Toyota MR-2. However, this car IS truly fun to drive, like a better Mini Cooper S. It's distinctive sound, gearing and feel make it stand out among it's rivals.

Verdict: Neutral

Last edited:
A couple days ago, I joked that I should just take an Aston Martin DB11 and pretend it was an Aston Martin One-77. As it turns out, maybe I should have.

Let’s start with the looks. From the front, the car looks a little dopey, at least in my opinion. That massive gaping grille certainly isn’t doing the car any wonders, however I suspect it’s a necessary evil to cool the monster under the hood. From the sides and behind, the car does look much more exotic, if not necessarily very beautiful. It looks like what Aston tried to do was make a blend of supercar and GT car, and somehow ended up with an amalgamation if both, neither side really works. That said, I do get the sense that it’s one of those cars that looks far better in real life, so I won’t judge too harshly.

The same cannot be said about performance. But first let’s talk about the engine. What an excellent engine in this car. Polyphony doesn’t do this car justice, Aston Martin V12s sound glorious and this is no exception. The way this nuclear power plant manages to give you the power of a small space shuttle with the precision of an expert archer simply cannot be ignored. The powerband is comfortably linear, no scary torque spikes or turbo lag, you know exactly what you’re going to get when you press the throttle. Connected to it is an extremely tall geared transmission, but thanks to the sheer power of the engine, it means you can simply sit in a gear instead of losing time trying to shift the car into its powerband. It’s a shame they bolted this excellent powertrain to a cruise ship.

Aston Martin went to great lengths to make this the ultimate GT hypercar, using advanced manufacturing techniques and fancy building materials, and the result of that is a car that somehow weighs MORE than a Mach 1 Mustang. (I’m not joking.) This coupled with the soft suspension means you end up with a sporty looking car that dives and hunches back like an old Buick with worn out shocks. You can see that in the pictures attached. It’s just as bad in the corners. I swear, at some points of you turned in while braking at just the right point, it would almost lift a rear wheel off the ground. While the car is surprisingly good at putting its power down, it simply cannot corner at speed. So when you lap the Aston, you get into a rhythm of blitzing down the straights, slamming hard on the brakes to slow the behemoth down, going very slowly through a corner, and only well after the apex can you get back on the power. If you do so before, the car hunches back and you lose traction on the front tires, basically causing mountains of understeer. This car was genuinely frustrating to drive.

So it’s no good on track, but maybe it’s a good GT car. Well, not quite. While the suspension lets you settle in nicely, the engine never really settles in with it. It’s always tugging at the reigns, hating that it has to go slow. This is another case where Aston Martin tried to blend GT and supercars together, but ultimately not satisfying either. Also, the interior is a horrible sea of black plastic, looking only slightly nicer than something out of the entry level V8 Vantage. (Fun fact, the tach stops at 8000rpm even when the engine is able to rev slightly higher)

So is it worth the 1,320,000 credits? Unless I’m missing something, then definitely not.

Out of curiosity, I then hopped into the Aston Martin DB11 after setting a laptime in the One-77. The DB11 has 600hp as opposed to the 748hp of the One-77, and amazingly it’s somehow 400lbs heavier too. However, the DB11 was a completely different experience, it’s body motions were tightly controlled, not chaotic, and it was certainly no slouch in the straights either. It ended up being just under a second slower around Suzuka, which is truly impressive considering it’s far heavier and less powerful. But by far my favourite thing about the DB11 is the interior. When you buy the car from Brand Central, different paint colours come with different interior shades as well, so I ended up getting something with a lovely tan interior. My goodness, what a beautiful place to be, it made the One-77 feel a bit like a dungeon.

So not only is the DB11 only slightly slower, far cheaper, easier to drive, and nicer to sit in, I actually think it’s better looking too. It highlights the shortcomings of the One-77, and while it’s a fair few years more modern, the One-77 never really feels worth it’s massive asking price. So sleeper or beater? I’d say it’s a big heavy beater.

I agree with all of this. I won't do a formal review as we've moved on to your awesome pick, which I did do a full review on.
I just want to point out that I totally agree this is car is a beater especially for $1.3 million. If it was $800,000, we'd be having a different conversation. Agreed the acceleration is great, but a 1996-2004 Lotus Esprit V8 Twin Turbo would lap this car and the DB11, especially the later '03/'04 cars.

Huge pet peeve of mine that they didn't include Lotus. I swear if they pull this 150 car **** in Gran Turismo 8 I'm done.

*All I need to be satisfied is a late model Lotus Esprit V8-GT and a 1996-1999 Mitsubishi GTO MR which is the second fastest stock JDM and beats the R32 Skyline GTR from 0-top speed, not to mention it blows away the Z32 and FD3s.*

That's 2 cars PD! NOT HARD!
AND PLEASE NO MORE **** 1991-1993 GTO/VR4 MODELS. ONLY A QUARTER OF THAT PLARFORMS FANS LIKE THE 1G - THE 5 SPEED, WEIGHT AND LONG ASS GEARING KEEP THE CAR FIGHTING FOR A SPOT IN N300, SHOULD HAVE CHOSEN AN MR MODEL OR THE ICONIC USDM 1999 VR-4!!!

Rant/over. Sorry @FullhouseGame , didn't mean to take your review and make it about me. As usual your review was throrough, spot on and all true - I waited for your review before buying the One-77, and you were right about all of it, especially the DB11 being a better car!

I agree with all of this. I won't do a formal review as we've moved on to your awesome pick, which I did do a full review on.
I just want to point out that I totally agree this is car is a beater especially for $1.3 million. If it was $800,000, we'd be having a different conversation. Agreed the acceleration is great, but a 1996-2004 Lotus Esprit V8 Twin Turbo would lap this car and the DB11, especially the later '03/'04 cars.

Huge pet peeve of mine that they didn't include Lotus. I swear if they pull this 150 car **** in Gran Turismo 8 I'm done.

*All I need to be satisfied is a late model Lotus Esprit V8-GT and a 1996-1999 Mitsubishi GTO MR which is the second fastest stock JDM and beats the R32 Skyline GTR from 0-top speed, not to mention it blows away the Z32 and FD3s.*

AND PLEASE NO MORE **** 1991-1993 GTO/VR4 MODELS. ONLY A QUARTER OF THAT PLARFORMS FANS LIKE THE 1G - THE 5 SPEED, WEIGHT AND LONG ASS GEARING KEEP THE CAR FIGHTING FOR A SPOT IN N300, SHOULD HAVE CHOSEN AN MR MODEL OR THE ICONIC USDM 1999 VR-4!!!

Rant/over. Sorry @FullhouseGame , didn't mean to take your review and make it about me. As usual your review was throrough, spot on and all true - I waited for your review before buying the One-77, and you were right about all of it, especially the DB11 being a better car!

Guys, just no. :P

There's a forum for suggesting cars on this site.

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/board/cars.339/

Lol, no worries. I’m glad you liked the review! I will say, Aston Martins have never really been my cup of tea. They’re excellent cars, but for some reason I just can’t seem to fall in love with one. Even the DB11, which is quite nice and impressive to drive considering it’s weight, I just don’t love it somehow.

Just a heads up, it's entirely possible I'll be late or miss tonight's racing entirely, as it's the Taupo 12 Hour this weekend and the team is in overdrive getting cars prepped, tools ready and everything transported down to the track. I know Vic's on holiday, so is it possible @Racer283 or @Baron Blitz Red could perhaps take over the hosting duties for tonight? Sorry for the late notice, I'd been more confident I'd be back in time (And indeed, still might), but I don't want to keep you guys waiting if I can't get there ontime.

Lol, no worries. I’m glad you liked the review! I will say, Aston Martins have never really been my cup of tea. They’re excellent cars, but for some reason I just can’t seem to fall in love with one. Even the DB11, which is quite nice and impressive to drive considering it’s weight, I just don’t love it somehow.

Same here! I agree the DB11 is a very nice car, but I can't find a way to "bond" with it (pun intended). I also think Aston Martin makes some of the most beautiful ars in the world.

I've always been a huge Lotus fan, it's my favorite brand which is part of why I dislike Astons.
Lotus is known for their light weight sports cars, Aston Martin is known for their heavy GTs, and I only like Japanese GT cars - the Mitsubishi GTO/3000GT VR4 being my all time favorite GT car due to its insane straight line speed (I owned a '96 VR-4 that ran low 13s stock). My favorite car ever is the Lotus Esprit V8-GT, and it always cracked me up that the Lotus Esprit always beat the V12 Aston Martins in a straight line (excluding the newer ones).

Your reviews are so detailed and on point I feel like I'm reading Car and Driver from the 90s when they had much better writers. I love your reviews and am really happy you joined us!

Only thing I don’t like about the DS3 is that you can’t recolor the orange dashboard in the livery editor.
Agreed, though I imagine the extra work required to enable interior decorating at the visual level GT Sport's on would be nothing short of immense...

Same here! I agree the DB11 is a very nice car, but I can't find a way to "bond" with it (pun intended). I also think Aston Martin makes some of the most beautiful ars in the world.

I've always been a huge Lotus fan, it's my favorite brand which is part of why I dislike Astons.
Lotus is known for their light weight sports cars, Aston Martin is known for their heavy GTs, and I only like Japanese GT cars - the Mitsubishi GTO/3000GT VR4 being my all time favorite GT car due to its insane straight line speed (I owned a '96 VR-4 that ran low 13s stock). My favorite car ever is the Lotus Esprit V8-GT, and it always cracked me up that the Lotus Esprit always beat the V12 Aston Martins in a straight line (excluding the newer ones).

Your reviews are so detailed and on point I feel like I'm reading Car and Driver from the 90s when they had much better writers. I love your reviews and am really happy you joined us!
Thanks man, that means a lot! I won’t lie, I’m not the biggest fan of the Japanese GT cars, but I immensely respect their capability and I completely understand why so many people love them. The Japanese car companies were on an absolute roll in the 90’s.

*Apologies about the late post! This review may be a bit disjointed, as it was written over multiple different days due to how time has worked out this week. Hopefully, it’s still an enjoyable read!*

Different types of cars have to conform to different types of personalities. For example, a big Mercedes or Audi tends to be a solemn affair, wearing shades of black or grey with perhaps a dash of chrome. These are serious cars for serious people, and must behave as such. Hot hatches on the other hand, are more like a t-shirt, adorning themselves with splashes if colour and design, not afraid to try new things just because it might look cool. And the undisputed kings of the hot hatches have always been the French. Ever since the Peugeot 205 GTI, France has held up a reputation of excellence when it comes to small, practical, and extremely quick hot hatches.

The Citroen DS3 Racing very much fits into the mold of a French hot Hatch. It’s small, FWD, turbocharged, affordable, and downright funky to look at. Seriously, this car is just cool. No matter where you go, the black with orange highlights will turn heads. It’s not just grabbing too, keep looking at it and you realize just how handsome a car the DS3 is. From the floating roof to the orange wheels, it dares to be different and it looks all the better for it.

However, to be a proper French hot hatch, it needs to do more than just look good, it needs to drive good as well. And thankfully, Citroen has done an excellent job here. While it’s not a hot hatch on the same level as the Megane, it’s a decently quick car in its own class.

First, let’s start with the engine. It’s a relatively small turbocharged engine, producing a punchy 203hp. It makes decent power throughout the rev range thanks to that turbo, but you need to really rev it to get the most out of this motor. This is where GT Sport actually misleads the driver a bit. The shift timer on the hud display will start to flash, but you actually have another few hundred rpm before the cars true redline, which is bang on 7000RPM. If you want to be fast with this car, you need to ignore the hud and focus closely on the cars actual rev counter, then shift the second it hits 7000. Other than this minor issue, the engine proves to be powerful enough to give the car some speed, but not powerful enough to make it hard to drive. The transmission, while having fairly tall gearing, is well suited to the engine, meaning you’re very rarely left dead in the powerband. Tall gearing is sort of what one would expect in a car like this, helping it achieve decent fuel mileage in normal driving conditions. Acceleration wise, the car likes to spin it’s power away in 1st, so careful throttle control is needed to get the best out of it, then 2nd, 3rd, and 4th all pull quite nicely to redline. The car hits a wall at 130mph in the top of 4th, and you won’t see much past 135 in 5th. Again, not unexpected or uncommon, and more than competitive in its field. I suspect this is one of those cars where the extra fine control a steering wheel brings over a controller would be very useful.

Handling wise, the little Citroen DS3 Racing is a treat. Approach a corner, and the car rotates lovely on brakes, allowing the driver to point the car towards the apex. Mid corner, you want to gently ease into the power, to roughly half throttle, and the car pulls itself exactly where it’s pointed. Then when approaching corner exit, gradually apply more throttle as the car straightens out. It’s very easy to spin an inside wheel when cornering due to the Citroen’s open differential. If there’s one thing I had to complain about on this car, it’s the open diff, it really limits the amount of power you can use in the corners. Planting the gas at the wrong time results in fairly strong, though recoverable, understeer. Other than that, the car rotates nicely off power, the brakes are exceptional, and the car is very good at communicating with the driver what’s happening.

Initially, the car was tested at Brands Hatch, but after a few laps there I decided to see how it would handle the Nurburgring. Surprisingly, it was great fun to throw around the Green Hell, plenty of traction and power, and of course the excellent brakes, and after a couple laps it set a time of 8:42.8. Not bad for a small affordable French hatchback. Out of curiosity, I then lapped the king of modern hot hatches, the Volkswagen Golf GTi Mk.7. Immediately the Golf felt much quicker. While the VW is heavier, it also has more power and an electronically controlled differential, meaning it’s not losing time with wheelspin and somehow managing to not understeer wide at full throttle mid corner. In addition to this, it managed 140mph down the straight, 5mph more than the DS3 could muster, so how much faster did the VW lap the ring? 8 tenths of a second. Undoubtedly, getting an 8:42.0 out of the VW was easier than getting the 8:42.8 out of the DS3, but it’s still extremely impressive that the little French hot hatch could keep pace with the Golf. In fact, I suspect the Citroen was actually making up time in the corners because the VW was faster down the back straight, which is quite amazing considering how high tech the Golf is.

Sadly, after this, I got a little carried away. I thought that the Golf would make mincemeat out of the Citroen, so after seeing how close the two were, I decided to try a couple more hatchbacks. Specifically, The Lancia Delta HF Integrale, and my personal favourite, the Ford Focus ST. The Lancia, despite its AWD grip, struggled around the Nurburgring, mainly due to the fact it weighs so much more than the Citroen, but only has 6 more horses to pull itself around. The Ford was a different story however. Despite being the heaviest of the bunch, it boasts exceptional corner balance for a FWD car, allowing the driver to chuck it around corners at speeds far higher than you could with most other cars in its class, and having an extra 50hp didn’t hurt either. But the simple fact that I had to go to a car with 50 more horsepower and a fancy electronic differential to gain ground on the DS3 is telling of how good the little Citroen is.

The takeaway from this car for me was that it’s a great car to drive, and while it’s not quite the fastest in its class, it’s not far off. So if you’re racing some hot hatches, and you want to race something different without getting left behind, then the Citroen DS3 Racing might be for you!

For all those viewing from the sidelines,
Round 2 of the CROSSOVER CUP just finished a few hours ago, and TEAM COTW dominated the round.
TEAM COTW now have a 2 point lead over TEAM CHALLENGE HUB.

Round 3 is open, we are using the Audi R8 4.2 FSI R tronic '07 around Red Bull Ring.

I'm planning to, assuming time allows, post my thoughts on the Aston and the DS3 tomorrow. In the meantime, here's what we'll be going over this week!

Chosen to commemorate Grasser Racing's Daytona 24hr win, it's the Lamborghini Huracan GT3!!!

images (4).jpeg

Everyone knows the Gr.4 Huracan is a heavyweight in it's class, does the Gr.3 variant have the same domination? We shall find out soon enough! Bring your bulls, bolt on your racing tyres, and meet us all at the track 10pm CST!

This week's car was picked by @JackRyanWMU

I'm planning to, assuming time allows, post my thoughts on the Aston and the DS3 tomorrow. In the meantime, here's what we'll be going over this week!

Chosen to commemorate Grasser Racing's Daytona 24hr win, it's the Lamborghini Huracan GT3!!!

View attachment 894418

Everyone knows the Gr.4 Huracan is a heavyweight in it's class, does the Gr.3 variant have the same domination? We shall find out soon enough! Bring your bulls, bolt on your racing tyres, and meet us all at the track 10pm CST!

This week's car was picked by @JackRyanWMU
Hold on tight. This bull is a handful.

Slippery Bull
A mildly serious review of the Lamborghini Huracan GT3 by MrWaflz55

8358770052794712604_0.jpg

(possibly my favourite livery I've ever made)

Ah yes, Lamborghini's weapon of choice in FIA Group 3 events. One I remember well for all the wrong reasons.

The Lamborghini Huracan was unveiled in 2014 and replaced the then-ageing Gallardo as the "baby Lambo", the affordable (relatively speaking) option in the Italian manufacturer's lineup. It's no doubt the Huracan road car has gone on to be a success for the company looking back on it in 2020. It upped the performance to near-Aventador levels and set numerous lap records in Performante guise. So what happens when you hand the keys over to Dallara for a racing version of your successful 4WD supercar?

In real life, a pretty good result. The Huracan GT3 and GT3 EVO have been popular among customer racing teams since production started in 2015. The car is successful on the international circuit, having won dozens of races in many racing series around the world. It's won the 24 Hours of Daytona, the Internation GT Open, many Blancpain events and so on.

How well does this world-beating performance translate in game? Not very well unfortunately. Possibly the most noteworthy characteristic of the Lambo GT3 in GT Sport is how slippery the handling is. The Huracan gets loose in the corners far too easily for a GT3 car, or at least other cars of its ilk. Stability is one of the key areas this car lacks. This sentiment of mine is reflected in the use of this car online and in the FIA championships, where it's usually in the top split on high-speed tracks with few corners. That's where the Huracan is most at home, on the straights. It's pretty good on any track where handling isn't a main concern, and its lap times on circuits like Tokyo Expressway shows. Unfortunately, you'll probably end up struggling on more technical circuits where handling is more important. It's hard to be consistent lap after lap in a car that you're fighting instead of one that's working with you.

I want to love the Huracan. I sure do in Assetto Corsa, but the handling here is just too loose for me to want to use it on a regular basis in Group 3 events. I have a much easier time controlling other cars that have much more forgiving handling characteristics. They also are much faster over race distance due to the extra consistency.

(fun fact: I had silver in the Barcelona Circuit Experience for a while until I sucked it up and learnt the car. If I had a 458 GT3, that would have been a gold run on my first try.)

Verdict: Beater

Slip slidin' away,
Slip slidin' away,
You know the nearer your destination,
The more you're slip slidin' away

I didnt find the Huracan GT3 as bad as all that. I do get that its among a bunch of GT3s that are quite tail happy the Huracan isnt that bad. I do get it though... the 458 GT3 was better in my hands.

However like a lot of GT3s "you can run with what you're given" and you can win in this one however yeah, not all that user friendly. I do think the famed Ford GT is much worse.

Hey guys, quick update on my account info. One of the perks of Premium is one name change per year, and I asked Jordan to do away with the ‘epic leet-speak‘ in my username. I’m a tad older than when I came up with that alias a while ago and it feels much better now. So it’s gone from “MrWaflz55” to “MisterWaffles”

Slightly different username, same idiot!

Back