Car of the Week 228: COTY GTS Finale

• Thread starter Racer283
  • 3,110 comments
We all know about the big battle between Ford v. Ferrari in the mid 60's. Why not create the big battle between the two giants in GTS. Though we don't have the Mark II Ford that would have gone up against the Ferrari's but we have the successor of the Ford that would win in 67 in the hands of Dan Gurney and A.J Foyt. As for Ferrari they would compete in the next couple of years but they could never reclaim total victory after Le Mans '65. By 1973 they fully pulled from sports car racing and have solely focused on F1.

This week is our 100 week special and we are testing the Ford GT40 MK IV and Ferrari 330 P4. Hopefully we can reach another milestone in GTS by getting to Week 200 before the end of the games life. This weeks cars are chosen by Racer.
EaPuRZb_VfqT8fdX_vu1lFo88HYdGmtbs6cmdVx-8vRBCQrUJS7Q3QwCxo6rCJ-ZWwozZ9UGZDJtukm-Idm5LD-mGL4JI3jismSFYAEnXx6_S9HJvuMgo5PvP5DNopAdT3af

k9DdRur.jpg

This is all I can think of when paying for these cars. I have the 330p4 and I can only say that the car is leagues above a fully tuned and powered Daytona.

With a basic HSG tune and Le Mans gearing, ie. 400km/h max final drive the 330p4 is faster than I expected. I'm able to win races even on short circuits like Laguna Seca Goodwood where you top out at 250km/h.

I cannot imagine an XJ13 or a GT40 MkIV anywhere near the 330. How does it do it with only a 450hp 4.0 v8?

Well the thing weighs 800kg. I find the handling effectively viceless. The V8 seems to have just enough torque to get going but nothing excess to overpower the rear wheels.

You should have this car for the 1979 events. I'm not sure I will ever get the MkIV at this rate.

GT-winner.png

I looked at the piece of paper that had been presented - or more accurately, meekly pushed into what can barely be considered my half of the table. I then looked up at Esther the editor, who was silent, head down, and squirming in her seat, hands on her thighs. I looked at the quote again, and then back at Esther. The quote, and then her again. And again. Her nervousness and jittering was almost palpable across and on the table. It was the most vulnerable and unstable as I have seen her in the few short months I've been working with her.

"This can't be real", I thought. And yet, there it was, in black and white and plain English, at my fingertips. I pinched my thigh with my free hand just to make sure I was awake. I was.

"Twenty... MILLION, USD?", I ask to confirm, still clinging onto that last thread of hope that maybe my math and eyesight both have gotten worse with age, or that the usually well put together, highly effective, and assertive Esther would tell me otherwise like she always does. I was only worsening the situation.

"Y-yes...", she replies, after what felt like an eternity of hesitation.

"How the actual FRICK am I supposed to get that kind of money?"

"W-well...", she stammers, as though a running car with an ignition coil pulled out of one cylinder. "a-as usual... you pay a bit... and then earn it back via subscriptions and ads in the review-"

"Twenty MILLION dollars?!", I cut her off while throwing the clear folder across the table back at her, already annoyed at the corporate BS that was being force fed into me.

"I'm sorry...!", she repeats, this time immediately, with a long trailing off. For a while, there was only heavy silence in the room, as the full weight of the situation sank further in, pressing in, weighing on us, making it difficult to even breathe. The unease, uncertainty, helplessness, and even panic, is not unlike what I envision the aftermath of a literal bomb dropping to be like.

Week 100 of Car of the Week is fast approaching, and to commemorate, the big wigs at COTW had the brilliant idea of pitting two 53 year old priceless relics of racing cars against each other: the Ferrari 330 P4 and the Ford GT40 Mk IV. Well, I guess "priceless" isn't really the word to describe them, is it? They both have a price on them: twenty million dollars. Each.

Needless to say, no insurance firm run by someone with even half a brain cell would insure either car for racing, with a quote so high, their accountants must've thought they/we were similarly high when they've had to print out a number that big. You can tell they really weren't prepared to quote a premium with so many zeroes at the back of it: the numbers already spilled out of the table and off the page. Who knows if it really was twenty million; there could've been more zeroes after they couldn't fit on the page. Basically, we either buy the cars for ourselves for twenty million dollars each and race them as our own, or we pay an insurance firm twenty million dollars per car to insure them for racing. I think the choice is clear.

"I know only two ways of making money", I say in an annoyed, yet resigned tone after a sigh.

Esther looks up at me finally, her face a crumpled mess of a plethora of emotions, yet somehow shining through it all was... a sort of earnestness that burrows its way into one's heart.

I continue: "Reviewing... and racing."

"You don't have to do this, it's a stupid idea!", she tries to reason, and rightly so.

It was my turn to pause and hesitate, finally. I tell her, after thinking about it for all of three seconds, "I want to."

She looks at me dead on with pleading eyes, not knowing what to say. And for a while, neither did I. The rational side of my brain was still stuck at trying to process what I had just said, myself. We just sat across the table from each other, silent, my eyes darting about the room, sometimes meeting. It was a comforting calm before the storm I was going to walk back into on my own free will. I really appreciated that moment. It was... reassuring, and encouraging, somehow.

"I'm sorry", it was my turn to apologise, once the initial shock had worn off, though there was no getting away from the atmosphere. "It wasn't your fault."

She mutters something inaudible from just across the table.

"I'm sorry?", I ask for clarification.

"I'm sorry", she restates, barely audibly this time.

"What are you apologising for? I just said-"

"I'm sorry!", this time, loud enough to take me aback. I recoil back into my seat, my heart feeling a little weak after the scare.

There was a long, long while of just the two of us sitting there, me looking at her while she hides her face from me below a lowered head. Still hidden behind her long hair, she finally brings herself to say, "Promise me you'll be safe."

I reply with as sincere a smile as I could force, "I'll try my darndest."

By some weird thread of logic that makes sense in some other universe I'm no part of, I find myself in Italy to try to rake together that twenty million. Italy's most famous racetrack is also one of its most boring: Monza. Endless straights catering to people who love numbers and straight lines more than anything in a car, spitefully broken up by the samey Chicanes because the FIA told them that a racing circuit needs to actually have corners. Truly, this track is the most nothing circuit I've ever seen in my entire life, aside from ovals. It tests for absolutely nothing aside from acceleration and braking, which, surprise surprise, any other track tests. You could put me in my loudest, favourite cars, and I'd fall asleep on this track. The ONLY reason why they're even still relevant today is because of nostalgia: which is to say, these tracks have no good reason to even be relevant today. How much of a nostalgia hit are you going to have if you don't even run the oval, anyway?

It would at least make for safe, if not boring racing, if people actually knew how to brake for Turn 1 at Monza. And it was precisely because of this safety and boredom that makes me feel better about driving a decommissioned rental Porsche 919 round seven laps at a time to earn money. Being a modern, hybrid LMP1 car capable of speeds in excess of 330km/h (205mph), Monza might actually end up being a good fit for something else other than Ferraris with less than zero handling.

To get this out of the way first and foremost: the 919 is not very competitive at all in Gran Turismo Championships' nonsensical "Group 1" category, which lumps together modern hybrid LMP1 cars with DCT gearboxes carrying at least seven forward cogs, with antiqued Group C monsters with five speed sticks of a bygone era... and then sprinkle in about a dozen more one-off concept cars by various manufacturers, de-tuned to somewhat match the performance of these two vastly different groups. Back when I was an active racing driver, I vehemently avoided Group 1 races because Group 1 is easily the dumbest category in Gran Turismo - and trust me when I say that that's saying something. If fuel was an issue in the race - and it most likely is, there is simply nothing that can compare to the thriftiness of the hybrid Toyota TS050, making every Group 1 race a TS050 One Make. If fuel WASN'T an issue, then the field opens up a bit more, to accommodate the SRT Tomahawk VGT. In the off chance that the track had enough high speed sections, then the Nissan R92CP would dominate, with an uncontested top speed of 374km/h (232mph). Truly, this is a complete dumpster fire of a category, beyond the saving of Kaminori Samauchi and his simplistic tweaks of power and mass.

Nowhere in the above paragraph does the name "Porsche 919" come up, which means it has zero relevancy and competitive merit in Group 1. If you're the sort of person that cares only for a racing car's competitive merits - no issue with that at all, that's what these things are meant to do - you can stop reading right here.

Visibility in the Nine One Nine- oh, sorry, the Nine Nineteen, is only as can be expected... which is to say, non-existent. (Seriously, is there a law that dictates how these names should be read?) As if being buried deep into the carbon tub of the car shielded by body panels everywhere but the front 35 degrees wasn't enough of a hindrance to the driver, the windshield wiper sits dead in the middle of the windshield in its off position, and the squared off steering wheel blocks off the entirety of said 35 degrees of forward vision you do have when turned:

I TRULY don't understand how other people can drive LMP1 cars; I can't even see out of them. The only thing I can see is on the right... fender, is a reminder of how great a racecar I'm driving, and that German engineering is indeed the best in the world, with the implication that failure will not be tolerated. Surely there's no way a driver can fail to win a race, seeing constant... encouragement, like that, right? That's how the human psyche works, right?

Assuming I don't have to forfeit a hefty 110 thousand dollar deposit for damaging the car, I'm promised a whopping 330k USD net profit per seven lap run, which might have been an easy enough thing to do at Monza, but the rich socialites I'm running with aren't exactly... experienced racing drivers. They probably had like a three day crash course on "how to not crash your new Group 1 toy" before being chauffeured here. It didn't take very long at all for me to realise that there's simply no reading their movements or intents, because they're babbling like toddlers and falling over themselves instead of speaking in coherent sentences in the language of "Carese". God help me if they overcook a brain dead, simplistic chicane with the aid of distance markers, and go off into the kitty litter, because they have NO CONCEPTION of what a safe, responsible track rejoin is, and I may end up losing more than my 110k deposit if I gave them what they rightfully deserved.

This problem is exacerbated by the driving characteristics of this rental 919. The hybrid system in this car, along with its sawn-off gearing means that this car accelerates with such ferocity, it truly does feel like you're tearing a hole through the fabric of space in front of the car and getting sucked forward. Your guts will compress, your neck will shear, and your eyes will water worse in this car than if you actually got punched for real in the stomach. For some context, this featherweight prototype weighing in at a scant 875kg (1,930lbs) with AWD accelerates at the limit of the tyres' grip in 2nd and 3rd - that's right: this thing stops as fast as it goes in 2nd and 3rd, and it is very possible to wheelspin in 2nd WITH RACING SLICKS if you just give it a boot full in 2nd. Out of tighter corners that necessitate dropping into these lower gears, you best make sure your car is straightened out before you progressively roll on the death pedal, as otherwise the car overloads all four of its tyres in an instant, transforming this juggernaut of technological marvel born from decades of racing know-how into a paralysed roller coaster on rails locked onto the nearest available kitty litter store. And while the car has been toilet trained, the same unfortunately can't be said for its driver.

Over the course of the seven laps of Monza, and later five at Le Mans, I had initially worried that the batteries of the 919 would die off and leave me limp for the picking against the Group C cars, and within reach of the other more modern LMP1s that are being driven... *cough* more conservatively. However, the 919 never left me hanging, as it very cleverly balances out real time performance while making sure the batteries stay charged. The first five forward gears are all hybrid battery assisted, which lets the 919 stand toe-to-toe with, and even out-accelerate the Group C monsters, but because said five gears are shorter than a Diglett even when stacked on top of each other, you'll find yourself in 6th in no time. For some context, I'm sure I spent only about a second in 2nd, 3rd, and 4th each (thanks for the video, Nismo!). Above 6,000rpm in 6th and 7th, the batteries stop powering the car, and instead draws part of the power from the Internal Combustion Engine (ICE) to recharge. This effectively means that you have just about a thousand BHP combined from both the ICE and batteries in the first five gears, and immediately less than half that the moment you shift into 6th, as now the ICE is being used to recharge the batteries while also propelling the car. This not only causes the 919 to behave vastly differently at different speeds and corners, it also causes the car to noticeably lose out in acceleration, letting Group C cars sail by, seeing as they have nearly a thousand BHP all the time. I get the impression that this car was meant to burst into a competitor's slipstream, before relaxing in 6th and 7th to recharge the batteries over the Mulsanne Straight. Seeing as you'll be spending most of your track time in 6th and 7th at tracks like Monza and Le Mans, you'll also be spending most of your time recharging the batteries as well, which means the batteries never die no matter how many laps you do with the car.

What's especially impressive to me however, is not only how the 919 never seems to run out of charge, but also how... even the torque curve is on this massively complicated setup, with turbos and hybrids, somehow squeezing 500BHP and 320km/h from a 2 Litre V4, and somehow suppressing all that wizardry to just 875kg. The hybrid and turbochargers seem to compliment each other perfectly, with the hybrid patching up throttle response and low end torque, and the turbos recharging the batteries once they get spooling. It's massively impressive to me not just from a technological standpoint, but also how it made for a shockingly natural feeling driving experience, even with the vastly different personalities at different speeds. While I always complain about how modern cars are too gimmicky and complicated for their own good, the 919 proves that it can be done right in a lightweight package, and I can only wish this technology would trickle down to road cars sooner than later (HINT: Porsche, please sponsor me a 918 to review? I promise I'll be nice!)

It is entirely possible for the 919 to run out of charge on most "normal" tracks, or if there's a sudden obstacle you need to dodge in the middle of a straight, yellow flags, etc.. It's a car that's very reliant on its charging cycle around a track to stay competitive, and even on its established cycle, it has little charge to spare. However. It's just inadvisable to run LMP1 cars on tighter tracks, in general. The 919 especially, because not only does it need long straights to recharge its batteries and to make the most of regenerative braking, but the way it drives on the limits of its grip even on corner exit I'm sure will destroy its tyres in record time on a more technical, suffocating track.

While the Group C cars waltzed past me on the straights, this space age racing machine 919 stops so much better than the antiqued Group C monsters, it feels like you're panic braking trying to dodge a stunned deer in your headlights at every corner entry. And, true to its Porsche DNA, this long wheelbase LMP1 car is actually... fun, to corner with. The 919 not only feels willing, but engaging to drive, as well. I even felt small flashes of my Cayman GT4 Clubsport in the "chuckability" of this car. And just like the Cayman, the 919 is a very encouraging, engaging, playful, yet forgiving and predictable drive, explosive acceleration aside. Of course, being this engaging also means it tires out the driver much quicker, even at wide open tracks like Monza and Le Mans. Having only driven some Group C cars for fun, never having bothered with Group 1, I get the distinct impression that prototypes meant to run Le Mans are numb and almost train-like in how they handle and feel just so they don't put too much strain on the drivers too quickly; you aren't really meant to nail every braking point and every apex, or drive it at ten tenths all the time - both the man and machine have to last. The 919 however, proves that the sport has blown past that sort of thinking and norm, seemingly as quickly as it accelerates to 6th with charge.

But perhaps it's not entirely fair to see the 919 as "just" a Le Mans Prototype - it's a car that raced in other disciplines of motorsports, like the 6 Hours of Spa, Silverstone, and Interlagos - tracks with, you know, actual corners. And the 919 did well in all of them. As if winning the most grueling and prestigious race in the highest echelon of motorsports, the 24 Hours of Le Mans multiple times, wasn't enough, Porsche wasn't done flexing with this car; they even built a 919 Evo version to claim more lap records, outpacing modern F1 cars in some instances. Truly, this car might just be the Jack of All Trades, Master of Many. Winning Le Mans twice was probably just a side thing for it, as a testament to what an engineering marvel the 919 is.

It's biggest problem isn't within itself, but rather, external. The fact that the TS050 exists is the one and only nail it needed in its coffin, and the defeat it hands the 919 isn't even a honourable one. For as clever and mind boggling the systems in the 919 are, they feel like trying too hard to overcompensate for something. The TS050 doesn't sap power from its engine to recharge its batteries - ever, meaning the 919 loses out on top end acceleration against it. The TS050 also harvests a ridiculous abundance of charge from regenerative braking - so much so it makes the 919 look like a e-pauper, barely getting by from corner to corner. This may be due to the fact that Toyota has been making Priuses for well over a decade by the time the TS050 debuted, meaning they have more regenerative and hybrid know-how. Or it could just be the fact that the TS050 has a 8MJ (2.2kWh) battery, while the 919 only has a 6MJ (1.7kWh) battery, which I'm sure puts these two cars in different classes of LMP1, but lumped into "Group 1" all the same. The increased charge in the TS050 compared to the 919 not only helps it in fuel efficiency, but also in high speed runs as well.

Competitive merits aside, the 919 is my favourite LMP1 to drive, simply because it's a blast to drive. It's sublime handling, backed with a sense of occasion, made me smile every time I drove it. And that, to me, is the most important thing, because I'm never going to take Group 1 seriously. It really made me appreciate the LMP1 class more, and the insane technology that goes into each car, and made me see just how far Le Mans prototype cars have come ever since the sorely missed Group C era.

But good GOD it's ugly.
I'm sure the 918 looks a LOT better though...

One doesn't spit in the wind, tug at Superman's cape, or argue with results. The 919 dominated every discipline of motorsports it was entered in, only seeming to struggle in a joke of a category that is Group 1. One could also make the argument that the only reason Toyota won 2018's 24 Hours of Le Mans with the TS050 is because Porsche pulled out after 2017. The 919 is, by all accounts, a staggering display and flex of engineering. And it helped me win 330k in just under eleven minutes of track action.

Now to just do this... 61 times.

I need scissors.

I put on a tough, unflinching façade, back straight up against the chair. Surrounding the proceedings were legions of guards, each ready to take me down at a moment's notice. The middle-man, verifying the authenticity of each bill in each suitcase, works with a terrifying silence and efficiency, building a flow and tension in the air almost just so that it could snap at his will. Every bill he picked up with that machine like grace and efficiency, each held into the scrutiny of the light, might as well have been individual razor blades ready to cut that net of tension in the air, beckoning the untold horrors of hell to rain upon me.

Twenty million dollars. I could retire and lead a lavish life in the lap of luxury in a big home in the middle of nowhere. I could be running for presidency, I could end world hunger. I could buy every car I've tested in COTW and still have change left over. I could even buy a McLaren F1 as their prices stand today. Or, hell, I could even buy 6 Gordon Murray T.50s. I could buy buy my way out of this crippling loneliness and anxiety every night, and yet... here I am, about to blow it all on an antique race car.

I always knew I needed help.

The middle-man stops, holding a note in his hands. The guards, professional as any human being can be physically expected to be, show hints of gasping and tensing their muscles through their poker faces. All that remains now is for the verdict to be read.

"Sir... these notes...

are all legitimate."

Everybody in the room heaved a sigh, as though the room itself exhaled all the foul atmosphere. The guards loosened up, and the seller reverted back to his businessman smile, before handing me the key to the historic Mk IV Ford GT40. A thorough technical inspection by the Ford technicians and a test drive later, the final papers were signed, and the car was now legally mine.

"It's incredible to see someone so young so... interested in such a vintage race car", says the owner, probably more impressed by the twenty million than my interest in the car. "Where are you displaying it, might I ask?"

"Le Mans", I reply in a tone more monotonous and lifeless than Microsoft Sam's.

"Oh? I wasn't aware that there was a special event at Le Mans... usually they'd ask me to loan them my car for display purposes at these big events... heh, you understand, surely. Are you building some sort of museum near Le Mans? Hard to imagine it would be lucrative with, you know..."

"It's not going into a museum."

"O-oh...?"

"I'm racing it."

Well, I got close!

Over the last few weeks, with everything else I've had on my plate (Lemons racing prep, Track day organization, even a take off of GT Academy for GT Sport that's just run where the winner is going to get a test drive in a real 2K Cup race car!), I haven't had much wiggle room for good old fashioned credit grinding.

That said, I've gotten up to 16.5 million. Now, to try and scrape together the rest in time for tonight!

I looked at the piece of paper that had been presented - or more accurately, meekly pushed into what can barely be considered my half of the table. I then looked up at Esther the editor, who was silent, head down, and squirming in her seat, hands on her thighs. I looked at the quote again, and then back at Esther. The quote, and then her again. And again. Her nervousness and jittering was almost palpable across and on the table. It was the most vulnerable and unstable as I have seen her in the few short months I've been working with her.

"This can't be real", I thought. And yet, there it was, in black and white and plain English, at my fingertips. I pinched my thigh with my free hand just to make sure I was awake. I was.

"Twenty... MILLION, USD?", I ask to confirm, still clinging onto that last thread of hope that maybe my math and eyesight both have gotten worse with age, or that the usually well put together, highly effective, and assertive Esther would tell me otherwise like she always does. I was only worsening the situation.

"Y-yes...", she replies, after what felt like an eternity of hesitation.

"How the actual FRICK am I supposed to get that kind of money?"

"W-well...", she stammers, as though a running car with an ignition coil pulled out of one cylinder. "a-as usual... you pay a bit... and then earn it back via subscriptions and ads in the review-"

"Twenty MILLION dollars?!", I cut her off while throwing the clear folder across the table back at her, already annoyed at the corporate BS that was being force fed into me.

"I'm sorry...!", she repeats, this time immediately, with a long trailing off. For a while, there was only heavy silence in the room, as the full weight of the situation sank further in, pressing in, weighing on us, making it difficult to even breathe. The unease, uncertainty, helplessness, and even panic, is not unlike what I envision the aftermath of a literal bomb dropping to be like.

Week 100 of Car of the Week is fast approaching, and to commemorate, the big wigs at COTW had the brilliant idea of pitting two 53 year old priceless relics of racing cars against each other: the Ferrari 330 P4 and the Ford GT40 Mk IV. Well, I guess "priceless" isn't really the word to describe them, is it? They both have a price on them: twenty million dollars. Each.

Needless to say, no insurance firm run by someone with even half a brain cell would insure either car for racing, with a quote so high, their accountants must've thought they/we were similarly high when they've had to print out a number that big. You can tell they really weren't prepared to quote a premium with so many zeroes at the back of it: the numbers already spilled out of the table and off the page. Who knows if it really was twenty million; there could've been more zeroes after they couldn't fit on the page. Basically, we either buy the cars for ourselves for twenty million dollars each and race them as our own, or we pay an insurance firm twenty million dollars per car to insure them for racing. I think the choice is clear.

"I know only two ways of making money", I say in an annoyed, yet resigned tone after a sigh.

Esther looks up at me finally, her face a crumpled mess of a plethora of emotions, yet somehow shining through it all was... a sort of earnestness that burrows its way into one's heart.

I continue: "Reviewing... and racing."

"You don't have to do this, it's a stupid idea!", she tries to reason, and rightly so.

It was my turn to pause and hesitate, finally. I tell her, after thinking about it for all of three seconds, "I want to."

She looks at me dead on with pleading eyes, not knowing what to say. And for a while, neither did I. The rational side of my brain was still stuck at trying to process what I had just said, myself. We just sat across the table from each other, silent, my eyes darting about the room, sometimes meeting. It was a comforting calm before the storm I was going to walk back into on my own free will. I really appreciated that moment. It was... reassuring, and encouraging, somehow.

"I'm sorry", it was my turn to apologise, once the initial shock had worn off, though there was no getting away from the atmosphere. "It wasn't your fault."

She mutters something inaudible from just across the table.

"I'm sorry?", I ask for clarification.

"I'm sorry", she restates, barely audibly this time.

"What are you apologising for? I just said-"

"I'm sorry!", this time, loud enough to take me aback. I recoil back into my seat, my heart feeling a little weak after the scare.

There was a long, long while of just the two of us sitting there, me looking at her while she hides her face from me below a lowered head. Still hidden behind her long hair, she finally brings herself to say, "Promise me you'll be safe."

I reply with as sincere a smile as I could force, "I'll try my darndest."

By some weird thread of logic that makes sense in some other universe I'm no part of, I find myself in Italy to try to rake together that twenty million. Italy's most famous racetrack is also one of its most boring: Monza. Endless straights catering to people who love numbers and straight lines more than anything in a car, spitefully broken up by the samey Chicanes because the FIA told them that a racing circuit needs to actually have corners. Truly, this track is the most nothing circuit I've ever seen in my entire life, aside from ovals. It tests for absolutely nothing aside from acceleration and braking, which, surprise surprise, any other track tests. You could put me in my loudest, favourite cars, and I'd fall asleep on this track. The ONLY reason why they're even still relevant today is because of nostalgia: which is to say, these tracks have no good reason to even be relevant today. How much of a nostalgia hit are you going to have if you don't even run the oval, anyway?

It would at least make for safe, if not boring racing, if people actually knew how to brake for Turn 1 at Monza. And it was precisely because of this safety and boredom that makes me feel better about driving a decommissioned rental Porsche 919 round seven laps at a time to earn money. Being a modern, hybrid LMP1 car capable of speeds in excess of 330km/h (205mph), Monza might actually end up being a good fit for something else other than Ferraris with less than zero handling.

To get this out of the way first and foremost: the 919 is not very competitive at all in Gran Turismo Championships' nonsensical "Group 1" category, which lumps together modern hybrid LMP1 cars with DCT gearboxes carrying at least seven forward cogs, with antiqued Group C monsters with five speed sticks of a bygone era... and then sprinkle in about a dozen more one-off concept cars by various manufacturers, de-tuned to somewhat match the performance of these two vastly different groups. Back when I was an active racing driver, I vehemently avoided Group 1 races because Group 1 is easily the dumbest category in Gran Turismo - and trust me when I say that that's saying something. If fuel was an issue in the race - and it most likely is, there is simply nothing that can compare to the thriftiness of the hybrid Toyota TS050, making every Group 1 race a TS050 One Make. If fuel WASN'T an issue, then the field opens up a bit more, to accommodate the SRT Tomahawk VGT. In the off chance that the track had enough high speed sections, then the Nissan R92CP would dominate, with an uncontested top speed of 374km/h (232mph). Truly, this is a complete dumpster fire of a category, beyond the saving of Kaminori Samauchi and his simplistic tweaks of power and mass.

Nowhere in the above paragraph does the name "Porsche 919" come up, which means it has zero relevancy and competitive merit in Group 1. If you're the sort of person that cares only for a racing car's competitive merits - no issue with that at all, that's what these things are meant to do - you can stop reading right here.

Visibility in the Nine One Nine- oh, sorry, the Nine Nineteen, is only as can be expected... which is to say, non-existent. (Seriously, is there a law that dictates how these names should be read?) As if being buried deep into the carbon tub of the car shielded by body panels everywhere but the front 35 degrees wasn't enough of a hindrance to the driver, the windshield wiper sits dead in the middle of the windshield in its off position, and the squared off steering wheel blocks off the entirety of said 35 degrees of forward vision you do have when turned:

I TRULY don't understand how other people can drive LMP1 cars; I can't even see out of them. The only thing I can see is on the right... fender, is a reminder of how great a racecar I'm driving, and that German engineering is indeed the best in the world, with the implication that failure will not be tolerated. Surely there's no way a driver can fail to win a race, seeing constant... encouragement, like that, right? That's how the human psyche works, right?

Assuming I don't have to forfeit a hefty 110 thousand dollar deposit for damaging the car, I'm promised a whopping 330k USD net profit per seven lap run, which might have been an easy enough thing to do at Monza, but the rich socialites I'm running with aren't exactly... experienced racing drivers. They probably had like a three day crash course on "how to not crash your new Group 1 toy" before being chauffeured here. It didn't take very long at all for me to realise that there's simply no reading their movements or intents, because they're babbling like toddlers and falling over themselves instead of speaking in coherent sentences in the language of "Carese". God help me if they overcook a brain dead, simplistic chicane with the aid of distance markers, and go off into the kitty litter, because they have NO CONCEPTION of what a safe, responsible track rejoin is, and I may end up losing more than my 110k deposit if I gave them what they rightfully deserved.

This problem is exacerbated by the driving characteristics of this rental 919. The hybrid system in this car, along with its sawn-off gearing means that this car accelerates with such ferocity, it truly does feel like you're tearing a hole through the fabric of space in front of the car and getting sucked forward. Your guts will compress, your neck will shear, and your eyes will water worse in this car than if you actually got punched for real in the stomach. For some context, this featherweight prototype weighing in at a scant 875kg (1,930lbs) with AWD accelerates at the limit of the tyres' grip in 2nd and 3rd - that's right: this thing stops as fast as it goes in 2nd and 3rd, and it is very possible to wheelspin in 2nd WITH RACING SLICKS if you just give it a boot full in 2nd. Out of tighter corners that necessitate dropping into these lower gears, you best make sure your car is straightened out before you progressively roll on the death pedal, as otherwise the car overloads all four of its tyres in an instant, transforming this juggernaut of technological marvel born from decades of racing know-how into a paralysed roller coaster on rails locked onto the nearest available kitty litter store. And while the car has been toilet trained, the same unfortunately can't be said for its driver.

Over the course of the seven laps of Monza, and later five at Le Mans, I had initially worried that the batteries of the 919 would die off and leave me limp for the picking against the Group C cars, and within reach of the other more modern LMP1s that are being driven... *cough* more conservatively. However, the 919 never left me hanging, as it very cleverly balances out real time performance while making sure the batteries stay charged. The first five forward gears are all hybrid battery assisted, which lets the 919 stand toe-to-toe with, and even out-accelerate the Group C monsters, but because said five gears are shorter than a Diglett even when stacked on top of each other, you'll find yourself in 6th in no time. For some context, I'm sure I spent only about a second in 2nd, 3rd, and 4th each (thanks for the video, Nismo!). Above 6,000rpm in 6th and 7th, the batteries stop powering the car, and instead draws part of the power from the Internal Combustion Engine (ICE) to recharge. This effectively means that you have just about a thousand BHP combined from both the ICE and batteries in the first five gears, and immediately less than half that the moment you shift into 6th, as now the ICE is being used to recharge the batteries while also propelling the car. This not only causes the 919 to behave vastly differently at different speeds and corners, it also causes the car to noticeably lose out in acceleration, letting Group C cars sail by, seeing as they have nearly a thousand BHP all the time. I get the impression that this car was meant to burst into a competitor's slipstream, before relaxing in 6th and 7th to recharge the batteries over the Mulsanne Straight. Seeing as you'll be spending most of your track time in 6th and 7th at tracks like Monza and Le Mans, you'll also be spending most of your time recharging the batteries as well, which means the batteries never die no matter how many laps you do with the car.

What's especially impressive to me however, is not only how the 919 never seems to run out of charge, but also how... even the torque curve is on this massively complicated setup, with turbos and hybrids, somehow squeezing 500BHP and 320km/h from a 2 Litre V4, and somehow suppressing all that wizardry to just 875kg. The hybrid and turbochargers seem to compliment each other perfectly, with the hybrid patching up throttle response and low end torque, and the turbos recharging the batteries once they get spooling. It's massively impressive to me not just from a technological standpoint, but also how it made for a shockingly natural feeling driving experience, even with the vastly different personalities at different speeds. While I always complain about how modern cars are too gimmicky and complicated for their own good, the 919 proves that it can be done right in a lightweight package, and I can only wish this technology would trickle down to road cars sooner than later (HINT: Porsche, please sponsor me a 918 to review? I promise I'll be nice!)

It is entirely possible for the 919 to run out of charge on most "normal" tracks, or if there's a sudden obstacle you need to dodge in the middle of a straight, yellow flags, etc.. It's a car that's very reliant on its charging cycle around a track to stay competitive, and even on its established cycle, it has little charge to spare. However. It's just inadvisable to run LMP1 cars on tighter tracks, in general. The 919 especially, because not only does it need long straights to recharge its batteries and to make the most of regenerative braking, but the way it drives on the limits of its grip even on corner exit I'm sure will destroy its tyres in record time on a more technical, suffocating track.

While the Group C cars waltzed past me on the straights, this space age racing machine 919 stops so much better than the antiqued Group C monsters, it feels like you're panic braking trying to dodge a stunned deer in your headlights at every corner entry. And, true to its Porsche DNA, this long wheelbase LMP1 car is actually... fun, to corner with. The 919 not only feels willing, but engaging to drive, as well. I even felt small flashes of my Cayman GT4 Clubsport in the "chuckability" of this car. And just like the Cayman, the 919 is a very encouraging, engaging, playful, yet forgiving and predictable drive, explosive acceleration aside. Of course, being this engaging also means it tires out the driver much quicker, even at wide open tracks like Monza and Le Mans. Having only driven some Group C cars for fun, never having bothered with Group 1, I get the distinct impression that prototypes meant to run Le Mans are numb and almost train-like in how they handle and feel just so they don't put too much strain on the drivers too quickly; you aren't really meant to nail every braking point and every apex, or drive it at ten tenths all the time - both the man and machine have to last. The 919 however, proves that the sport has blown past that sort of thinking and norm, seemingly as quickly as it accelerates to 6th with charge.

But perhaps it's not entirely fair to see the 919 as "just" a Le Mans Prototype - it's a car that raced in other disciplines of motorsports, like the 6 Hours of Spa, Silverstone, and Interlagos - tracks with, you know, actual corners. And the 919 did well in all of them. As if winning the most grueling and prestigious race in the highest echelon of motorsports, the 24 Hours of Le Mans multiple times, wasn't enough, Porsche wasn't done flexing with this car; they even built a 919 Evo version to claim more lap records, outpacing modern F1 cars in some instances. Truly, this car might just be the Jack of All Trades, Master of Many. Winning Le Mans twice was probably just a side thing for it, as a testament to what an engineering marvel the 919 is.

It's biggest problem isn't within itself, but rather, external. The fact that the TS050 exists is the one and only nail it needed in its coffin, and the defeat it hands the 919 isn't even a honourable one. For as clever and mind boggling the systems in the 919 are, they feel like trying too hard to overcompensate for something. The TS050 doesn't sap power from its engine to recharge its batteries - ever, meaning the 919 loses out on top end acceleration against it. The TS050 also harvests a ridiculous abundance of charge from regenerative braking - so much so it makes the 919 look like a e-pauper, barely getting by from corner to corner. This may be due to the fact that Toyota has been making Priuses for well over a decade by the time the TS050 debuted, meaning they have more regenerative and hybrid know-how. Or it could just be the fact that the TS050 has a 8MJ (2.2kWh) battery, while the 919 only has a 6MJ (1.7kWh) battery, which I'm sure puts these two cars in different classes of LMP1, but lumped into "Group 1" all the same. The increased charge in the TS050 compared to the 919 not only helps it in fuel efficiency, but also in high speed runs as well.

Competitive merits aside, the 919 is my favourite LMP1 to drive, simply because it's a blast to drive. It's sublime handling, backed with a sense of occasion, made me smile every time I drove it. And that, to me, is the most important thing, because I'm never going to take Group 1 seriously. It really made me appreciate the LMP1 class more, and the insane technology that goes into each car, and made me see just how far Le Mans prototype cars have come ever since the sorely missed Group C era.

But good GOD it's ugly.
I'm sure the 918 looks a LOT better though...

One doesn't spit in the wind, tug at Superman's cape, or argue with results. The 919 dominated every discipline of motorsports it was entered in, only seeming to struggle in a joke of a category that is Group 1. One could also make the argument that the only reason Toyota won 2018's 24 Hours of Le Mans with the TS050 is because Porsche pulled out after 2017. The 919 is, by all accounts, a staggering display and flex of engineering. And it helped me win 330k in just under eleven minutes of track action.

Now to just do this... 61 times.

I need scissors.

I put on a tough, unflinching façade, back straight up against the chair. Surrounding the proceedings were legions of guards, each ready to take me down at a moment's notice. The middle-man, verifying the authenticity of each bill in each suitcase, works with a terrifying silence and efficiency, building a flow and tension in the air almost just so that it could snap at his will. Every bill he picked up with that machine like grace and efficiency, each held into the scrutiny of the light, might as well have been individual razor blades ready to cut that net of tension in the air, beckoning the untold horrors of hell to rain upon me.

Twenty million dollars. I could retire and lead a lavish life in the lap of luxury in a big home in the middle of nowhere. I could be running for presidency, I could end world hunger. I could buy every car I've tested in COTW and still have change left over. I could even buy a McLaren F1 as their prices stand today. Or, hell, I could even buy 6 Gordon Murray T.50s. I could buy buy my way out of this crippling loneliness and anxiety every night, and yet... here I am, about to blow it all on an antique race car.

I always knew I needed help.

The middle-man stops, holding a note in his hands. The guards, professional as any human being can be physically expected to be, show hints of gasping and tensing their muscles through their poker faces. All that remains now is for the verdict to be read.

"Sir... these notes...

are all legitimate."

Everybody in the room heaved a sigh, as though the room itself exhaled all the foul atmosphere. The guards loosened up, and the seller reverted back to his businessman smile, before handing me the key to the historic Mk IV Ford GT40. A thorough technical inspection by the Ford technicians and a test drive later, the final papers were signed, and the car was now legally mine.

"It's incredible to see someone so young so... interested in such a vintage race car", says the owner, probably more impressed by the twenty million than my interest in the car. "Where are you displaying it, might I ask?"

"Le Mans", I reply in a tone more monotonous and lifeless than Microsoft Sam's.

"Oh? I wasn't aware that there was a special event at Le Mans... usually they'd ask me to loan them my car for display purposes at these big events... heh, you understand, surely. Are you building some sort of museum near Le Mans? Hard to imagine it would be lucrative with, you know..."

"It's not going into a museum."

"O-oh...?"

"I'm racing it."

The Seller chuckled at the young buyers intention to race his new ultra expensive vintage racer.

“You remind me of a guy who came by a few months ago to also buy a Ford GT40 to go racing.”

“You had two of these?!” Square replied with surprise.

“No actually it was a friends GT40 he bought, guy put it up for sale after nearly sticking it in the wall at Monza.”

“Who was the buyer?“

“A relatively young guy like yourself, rather modest and he asked my friend on the test drive if he could open it up a little, which was a mistake.”

“Tell me he didn’t wreck it?”:scared:

“He didn’t, just scared the living daylights out of my friend, the guy drove it harder and faster than he ever did, the guy was a demon behind the wheel.”:lol:

“Sounds like he was right to sell it.”:P

“No kidding, guy even added a little extra to the asking price to pay for dry cleaning.”

“Haha, at least he was polite about it, almost as if he was..”

“British? Yes he was.”

*Record Scratches*

“Oh you’ve got to be 🤬 with me.”

“?”

“There’s only one person I know who matches up with what you’ve described about him.”

“You know the guy?”

*Small flashbacks to prior race meets against the speedy Brit.*

“All too well.” Square sighed.

“Looks like Team Ford just found it’s new Ken Miles.” the seller chuckled. :D

—-

Thought I add on a little bit to that story with the fact I did pick up that GT40 a few months in perpetration for this. ;)

Well... t'was an awful week for me. I simply couldn't get a read on the Mk IV, and I didn't even have a P4.

Anyone here doing a review for either of these cars? I'd really love to hear others' experiences with these cars.

Well... t'was an awful week for me. I simply couldn't get a read on the Mk IV, and I didn't even have a P4.

Anyone here doing a review for either of these cars? I'd really love to hear others' experiences with these cars.
The Ferrari was epic for me, just the kind of ballance I like in a real race car. Lots of front end grip, you can turn in at just about any speed and wrestle it to the apex with oversteer. The noise it makes is awesome and the gears are well spaced. Not sure I would have changed a lot even if I was allowed to set it up. Not too sure everybody felt that way about it, but I loved it!

Ferrari vs. Ford vs. the Battle of no practice...

Well it's been a while folks, but I finally got some racing in again. Week 100 saw the High Rollers Club come back to our reality. It's been some time since we had that honour. I've had my 330 in GT Sport for quite some time... about 2 and half years. Although I have used it, it's been quite some time since it has graced my screen with its beauty.

And you can tell... wow, even though I was personally happy keeping up with, and somewhat challenging our resident alien with an accent, I felt overwhelmed trying to keep an icon of racing within the borders of clean. Not blaming the car at all... somewhat like yours truly, for a car in its 50's, it is surprisingly agile, but I wasn't showing off its prowess by missing my apexes, etc.. Had I kept up with practice, its superior handling would have been showcased properly. My best race of the night was surprisingly at LeMans, the historical venue of this famous (or infamous) battle.

Have a look, and see what I mean...

Art in motion, but I couldn't paint a picture without numbers behind the picture telling me what colour was where. :lol: Ok, ok... I may have done half decent, but damn... I know I could have done better, as I have in the past. Would it have changed the result??? Doubt it, but I would have more been more satisfied and possibly less embarrassed. At least I didn't pull a Vettel and take out my own teammate lol.

It's a must have weapon... no matter which side of the fence you're on in this debate, its beauty is iconic. Period. End of sentence. End of discussion.

Cheers

Chances are you already know the story, seen the movie, and read the book. So I'll skip past the preamble and go straight to my evaluations of the GT40 and 330 P4, which I was able to do since my pedal set came in the mail sooner than I expected. And I would need every bit of the improved throttle and brake feel with both of these cars. Not only did I test with TCS and ABS turned off, but the Ford and the Ferrari are both shod with Bias-Ply tires in Assetto Corsa. For the track, I opted for Vintage Silverstone, as I wanted to be able to turn more laps with both cars than Vintage Le Mans would have allowed.

The GT40 and the 330 couldn't feel more different in their approaches. It was like comparing a professional wrestler to a ballerina. The Ford felt like it had to be man-handled to get it to do what I wanted from it. In fact, it reminded me of the '87 NASCAR Chevy Monte Carlo I've been piloting in iRacing. It required a heavy effort on the wheel to get the GT40 to turn in, but applying the gas too quickly would unsettle the back end quickly and create oversteer. Much like the old Monte Carlo, trying to go fast in the Ford felt like dancing with a chainsaw.

In comparison, the 330 felt so much more compliant and responsive. It's still not an easy car to drive by any means, however the Ferrari felt so much lighter than the GT40 and easier to put where I wanted to be on the track. Throttle control is still crucial on exit, but the 330 felt much more willing to turn in and follow the racing line. And while nothing beats an American V8 rumble, an Italian V12 scream comes pretty damn close.

Yet for how different these two cars were, they ended up practically identical on the time sheets. A difference of only a couple of tenths separated the 330's best time of 1:41.938 from the GT40's 1:42.144. No question though, if I had to drive one of these cars for hours on end, I would choose the 330 to do it in. It might not even be a hundredth the prestige of a Le Mans victory, but Ferrari takes the win in this competition.

And thank goodness Assetto Corsa doesn't make you grind for hours on end to be able to drive these cars...

Havent driven this one in a while but I've driven it after they nerfed its top end.

I was usually in the N500 class and it would just ping 300km/h almost but now I tihink it barely hits 270km/h?

For short tracks it really is a great car... with its twin the Evo X Gr.B car they are just amazingly good to drive... great turning.

I believe the WRX has a variable centre diff? I think its 10:90 max to 50:50 - this makes it a boon to tune to your racing conditions.

For 400/500/600 classes its a great car except on the long tracks like Le Mans etc. due to the bad top end.

Hey guys. My PC just conked out. I might not be able to attach photos to my review, and I might not even have a review out for a while... I hate typing on a touchscreen.

Must be a sign my reviews are horrible :indiff:

My phone rings. It's rare that it does, especially when it isn't some dubious unknown number trying to spam and scam someone.

"'sup?"
"Hey Dino. I'm going to need a bit of help with this week's car."
"What is it?"
"It's... a blue car."
"Oh come on, even you're more descriptive than that!"
"That's the thing, I don't know what it is!"
"Does it have no badging? What does it say on the car?"
"Symmetrical AWD... and I'm not sure if it's the owner's idea, but... it says a bad thing on the back."
"Oh, yeah. Those've been around a long time. Several different generations and trims. Could you send a photo?"
"Of the STI?! *gasp*"
"Yeah."
"Dino, what are you asking?!"
"What?"
"I don't have...! I'm clean!"
"Oh my g- THE CAR!"
"Tsk... See, this is why you need to be a lot more professional in your mannerisms, your speech, your choice of words, and... urgh, look, can you just... open your front door?"

Oh for f...

"Please stop doing this, EsthURGGGH!", I opened the door to immediately be cut off mid sentence to shield my eyes and stumble back, as though a vampire leaving his lair in daylight. It wasn't the sunlight that stung my eyes and caused me to recoil, however. Rather, it was the monstrosity that's being unloaded onto my driveway: a... blue... car... Frankenstein... thing.

"What in the blue hell is THIS?!", I exclaimed in shock, yes, but mostly disgust: a widebody, tuner boy racer wannabe gangster mobile was being lowered down onto my driveway.

"So... you don't... know, what this is, either?", asks Esther timidly.

"I mean, I- yes of- no I mean- no. I mean, WHAT THE HELL?!"
"Lee, you're scaring me."
"I thought we at COTW review stock! Unmodified! Why this?"
"This is unmodified, apparently... I have the certification papers from the technicians of COTW right here."

A stock WRX that looks like this? Now that she insists on it, I think I'm starting to recall some funky homologation models both Subaru and Mitsubishi pumped out for the resurgence of "Group B", revived by the FIA-Gran Turismo partnership. Though, it's hard to really think of these as homologation models, seeing as these cars were never put up for sale publicly - only distributed within inner circles of the FIA-Gran Turismo and their racers. In fact, I think they called it the... uh...

The "Subaru WRX Gr. B Road Car."​

And with that, I think I've hit my irony quota for this year.

Almost as attention grabbing as its bombastically flared fenders is its rally car suspension kit, true to the nature of the racing car it was meant to homologate. You wouldn't guess it however, just by looking at the spec sheets: this thing has a ground clearance of 135mm (5.31in), which is exactly the same as my bone stock Spirit R RX-7, and let me be the first to tell you that it's no All Japan Rally Car. Rather, where it has clearance is between the wheels and the fenders, which look to allow for way more suspension travel than it has ground clearance... needless to say, it's entirely stupid, and hence why I thought this was some 19 year old's toy car financed by their unbeknownst parents' credit cards than something a sensible and practical manufacturer like Subaru would've put out on the street.

Further, this car, if not for its sky scraping suspension setup, would look almost too much for a GT3 spec racing car, with fenders flared to comically bulbous levels, then lavished unsparingly with clear carbon fibre parts: Carbon fibre skirts, freaking window frames, interior trim, and what looks like the entire underbody as well. Many of these woefully expensive carbon parts, such as the diffuser and front lip, are perfectly poised to smash into the ground with all the weight and momentum of the car in a rally stage, which is why rally cars DON'T use carbon fibre parts, and you need look no further than the very Group B WRX that this thing homologates to find proof of this. For something that screams "RALLY!", it doesn't even come with mud guards.

Even as a poser car for some angsty, rebellious teenager seeking validation from the opposite sex, this car's looks just doesn't work. No one wearing a skirt would be able to step across the chasms between the flared fenders and side skirts, meaning this car isn't even good as a poser car. Flared fenders usually make a car look squat and poised to strike, with performance implications of a lower centre of gravity to help better cornering speeds. Yet, as previously mentioned, this thing looks like a school boy who barely was able to afford the cheapest seats in a Nickelback concert: tiptoeing, chin up, and waving its hands up in the air. The height and width of this thing just looks excessive, and it's hard to even imagine any practical application for either. The base WRX was never a looker, granted, but the body kit on this just takes it to tragically comical levels, destroying any preexisting semblance of proportion. I think the worst angle of this car is easily dead on from the rear: the overcompensating man bulge fenders look like fish gills, or knife holders, and the car almost feels castrated, plugged up, and gagged, with only one exhaust pipe, down from the FOUR of the WRX STi.

I haven't even gotten into the car yet, and I'm already suffering a migraine from this week's awful car. I'm not even done complaining yet!

Most... egregious... confounding... flabbergasting... whatever big word that means "appalling" you can find in a thesaurus to put in here, wouldn't be big enough to describe the atrocity that is the rear occupancy of this car: It retains the rear row of seats of the perfectly sensible and capable base WRX, complete with all the upholstery, amenities, and even seatbelts to allow this car to carry approximately 3.6 adult passengers in terrified comfort... except, the rear doors of this damn thing DON'T OPEN. Get this: the rear door panels are bespoke, as they are part of the GINORMOUS haunches of the rear fenders. As a result, the door handles of the rear are drowned out in the bulge, and aren't replaced. So you think, "okay, a bit of a pain in the rear, quite literally. I'll just open the front doors, bend over the side skirts and door sills and reach in from the front to-". Yeah, I'll stop you right there. The rear door handles of this "sedan" have been axed, too. What really rubs salt in the wound from the loss of the rear doors is that the bespoke rear door panels of this car are their own, separate panels, not integrated or welded shut to the rest of the B Pillar, with panel gaps big enough suggest that they open. I don't know why Subaru wouldn't just make a coupé version of the WRX, like they did with the 22B, and homologate THAT instead. Would it be too much trouble to engineer bespoke door handles for the rear in addition to the bespoke ENTIRE REAR DOOR PANEL?! And if there was never any intent for the rear doors to open, why not axe the entire rear row of seats and use the space to, oh, I don't know, mount a 6 point harness, and install a roll cage? Why, of all the more conventional, cohesive, simpler, and sensible of alternatives, was THIS the outcome?

"So... do you know what this is or not?", asks Esther.

I'm not sure what sort of sick regulation in the homologation rules of Group B that has twisted an otherwise sensible, massively capable, everyday car that's easy to recommend anyone into this exacting monstrosity of bad teases and contradicting messages, that looks to be good for precisely NOTHING. To recap: this car's name says it's both a rally car and a road car. It's suspension travel area and aerodynamic tweaks scream rallying, but the ground clearance, and the materials its constructed out of begs for the sanity of paved roads. This car has the silhouette of a 4 door sedan, the requisite five seats, panel gaps for the rear doors, but... it has no rear door handles, making this a 2+3 coupé?. What IS this car? How would one classify and define it? What is it meant to be, what is it meant to do?

"This is...

a blue car."

The WRX Gr. B Road Car isn't any less confused on the track, either. The interior of this homologation car is largely left unmodified from the original STi, aside from swapping some plastic panels for carbon fibre replacements, furthering that cheap, desperate, ruined by a 19 year old look as these look almost like fake CF wraps rather than a purposefully lightened and gutted interior. The largely original interior makes the digital dash identical to the one found on the rally car SUPER conspicuous. It's surreal to see such a modern, digital dash, complete with shift lights, operated by a leather wrapped steering wheel with contrasting red stitching and a stick shift. I don't know, if I had to choose between proper racing buckets and harnesses, throwing out the rear seats, or a fancy dash, the last on the list would be the lowest in priority :rolleyes:.

It has to be said though, that visibility out of the cockpit of this modern day WRX is superb. Part of that is due to the interior being nearly identical to the road car, yes, missing roll cages and not having the seat sunk deeper into the car. I had expected a car with bulbous fender flares to be difficult to place, but it's quite easy to find the edges of the car on the track, actually. I just wouldn't want to be the valet that has to navigate a tight parking lot in this car though, let's just say.

The WRX Gr. B Road Car (THAT'S a mouthful...) behaves and handles well enough on a narrow, winding mountain circuit like Bathurst, offering tons of grip for days, with the bad road surfaces, bumps, and off camber turns barely registering through the car. Yes, it's soft and compliant, but somehow, it also manages to retain a high degree of agility and response rivaling those of sports cars, in spite of that softness and compliant setup, which is something I've always admired the Subaru wizards for. Initial bite under braking and turning of the wheel is excellent: the car feels light on its feet, and nimbler than its 1,425kg (3,142lbs) mass would suggest. For some context, it uses roughly the same braking points of my lighter and slower FD RX-7 round Bathurst, and that's really saying something.

However, try to get it to bite a little more, try to tuck in the nose a little more for a deeper apex, and the front end goes completely numb and limp from the overly soft suspension, offering no real feedback and squandering weight transfer to delays. It gives a very odd sensation, like most of the weight is wasted trying to compress the suspension rather than pressing on the wheel. I might be mistaken about this, but there was nothing at all I could do to get the car to bite into corners with deeper apexes. This means that, while the car excels at a narrow, winding mountain pass like Bathurst, it completely falls over and dies at any wide open racing tracks that has you turning across the entire width of the track to find an apex - tracks wide enough to hold 6 cars side by side. It has good enough initial response, but just doesn't follow up with trail braking, or mid corner adjustments into deeper corners. On tracks like these, the WRX Gr. B Road Car becomes an unruly, unwilling beast you need to wrestle and wrangle around every corner. You need to brake early, turn the wheel hard, and hold onto that stiff steering wheel fighting back, preparing to turn it some more and to utter some choice words in the process. It's a workout to drive this thing on a proper, paved racetrack, and one that isn't very gratifying.

Long time WRX loyalists and enthusiasts will no doubt rejoice in the fact that this car uses a highly tuned EJ207 Boxer 4 cylinder, now outputting 479PS and 542.6N-m (400.2ft-lb). That's right, this homologation car is based off the JDM Spec VA WRX, which has the old as hell- I mean, proven EJ20 Engine that has been the heart of Imprezas and WRXes since the earliest examples. This fourth gen WRX is noteworthy for being the last car to carry that engine, which was only available in its home market of Japan. Too bad it has to exhale and make its Boxer rumble through only ONE exhaust pipe in this car.

The EJ20 not only has had its peak power increased as well, but was given a WALL of torque spiking up at around what looks to be 2,000rpm, but realistically feels more like 3,000. This wall of torque continues with almost a table top flatness until slightly tapering near the redline of 8,500rpm. This means the car bogs at launch, is completely undriveable on public roads despite the phrase "Road Car" being explicitly stated in its name, and will require slight short shifting to make the most of on the track. Thankfully, the gear ratios on this homologation car have been suitably shortened and made closer together to reflect and complement the rally focused engine characteristics. Despite not being in the car's name, this homologation car is THANKFULLY based on the STi version of the car, meaning it has a proper 6 speed manual instead of the "oh god why hath thou allowed this to happen" CVT on the base WRX. The drivetrain pairing on this car is really, really good: you can shift almost whenever and wherever, and you will ALWAYS have torque to not only get you going, but to break out the rear tyres and hold drifts as well as and when you desire - signs of a bona fide rally car. The ratios work with and hide the deficiencies of the engine really well - you won't find faults of the engine on the track unless you specifically go out of your way to look for them. I've heavily criticised many aspects of this car, but this marriage of drivetrains is one made in heaven, and whoever set it up is very clearly a professional of experience.

While strangely barred from fiddling with the torque split of the centre diff in the paddock, I could freely adjust the centre differential as I drove from the centre console. Default torque split is a rather safe and conservative 40 Front 60 Rear, but it allows you to choose from NINE settings in increments of 5%, ranging from 10 Front, 90 Rear, to an even 50-50 split, otherwise known as "don't". On dry paved roads, I find my happy place to be 30-70, though I've had to raise it a notch to 35-65 in heavy rain. And this, I think, really says a lot about this car: out of the box, it tries to convey to you that it can do everything really well, but has had the unfortunate side effect of making itself look like a bit of a clown. It's massively capable, and has the hardware for doing impressive things, such as running circles around Group 3 homologation cars, ironically. But, for every application, it will require serious fiddling with to make it do what it can. Torque split, suspension settings, brake bias... you really need to put in the time and effort to set it up for every purpose and every event, from launch, circuit, rally, wet, or even doughnuts in a parking lot, as otherwise it will just crumble in the sad, forgettable place of "in the middle of nowhere".

Invest the time and effort into setting it up however... it will give you a sensational time that nothing else can hope to match. Nowhere is that clearer than at a rally stage.

"Lee, I know the flight connection to Italy got cancelled and you only got two races with the crew, so I thought we should arrange for more individual testing. There's this big, promising looking track in America that hardly anyone uses, but is recognised and sanctioned by FIA-GT..."
"Fisherman's Ranch?"
"Bing bong! How'd you know?"
"It's a dirt track though... I'm no rally driver, Esther."
"Come on, can't you just drive around for a few photos?"
"These cars don't rally, Esther. They'll destroy their underbodies and it'd be a nightmare to clean before returning to their owners, and besides-"
"It was a request from the owner of these cars, actually."
"What?"
"Apparently some expensive parts of the cars need replacing, and since these are rally cars, regular wear and tear on a dirt track is covered under our insurance, so..."
"Ripping a hole through the underbody of the car isn't 'regular wear and tear', Esther..."
"Tsk... Are you doubting my legal prowess? I have the signed forms right here."
"You're asking me to go out there and deliberately wreck these cars, Esther!"
"Mm hmm. The owner let us test his cars for free, with the condition that we must wreck them on a rally track so that insurance will buy him brand new replacements. You seem really good at wrecking expensive cars."
"Esther... too soon."
*giggle*
"Sounds like a totally sheet deal. How'd you get insurance to agree to it?"
"That's a trade secret!"
*sigh* "I'll give it a go."

Ploughing Fisherman's Ranch with the diffuser of an Evo X.

*SCRAAAAAPE*

We'll be right back.

Meanwhile, in Italy...​

Is that... a CORVETTE?!

Group jump! Look at all these buttholes having all this fun without me!
(See Vic, the problem with being faster than light is that you can only live in complete darkness.)​

Now that both cars have been destroyed, along with most of my anatomy from the lack of proper support and restraints in these cars, we can end the review, but not before I tell you how FLIPPING GLORIOUS these cars were to drive on the dirt.

I've only had a brief crash course (emphasis on "crash") in the Group B Lan Evo Rally Car to learn the track with a very British sounding instructor whose name I didn't catch, so safe it is to say that, again, I'm no rally driver. However, what I can readily tell you is that these Gr. B Road Cars offer the complete experience of the lighter and more powerful race cars. They have the assuring grip and balance, they have the same centre torque split controller, the same ability to break the rears out, the same ability to drift, and the same ability to stop well, the same short gearing, the same plateaus of torque, and the same feedback. In fact, power and mass deficiency aside, I'd argue that these Road Cars provide an experience more raw and engaging, just because you're operating three pedals and a stick you can hardly leave alone on the track, instead of the flappy paddles of the racing car.

Setting the centre differential to a suicidal looking 20-80 split, and knocking the brake bias rearwards, I soon found myself with the most exhilarating time on a track I never could've fathomed. The cars will grip for days, even on dirt, when equipped with the same dirt tyres as the racing cars. However, the rear end can be swung out on whim, even without resorting to the handbrake lever, which I can't pull in any car due to *cough* physical inability *cough*. All it takes is being sharp and sudden with either pedal and the accompanying wheel movement to get the rear out to play, and you can initiate slides with angles so ridiculous, at speeds so high in these cars, it's mind boggling to someone who only grip drives on paved roads.

These cars are so malleable as tools, as toys, and adapts to a wide range of driving styles and habits almost effortlessly, as I unwittingly tested for with my inexperience with dirt driving. The cars' responses are delightfully sharp and proportionate. What was once a wrestling act on a paved track now becomes almost like a juggling act, as you can effortlessly slide a car into and out of an apex, adjusting your grip of the steering wheel and your steering inputs several times a second as though juggling five apples with your hands and feet, all while the undulations, jumps, and loose earth work to break the car away from you. And you will feel EVERY. SINGLE. THING. that's going on with the car and road.

Yes, my lines are ugly and inconsistent as all hell. Yes, I might've broken more than the cars. But it's not everyday that you get to experience something truly new and unique, and while not under the pressure of a race or a stopwatch, I had the most fun frolicking around the dirt in these two cars, learning, exploring, all while being hit in the face with the most ridiculous, adrenaline filled fun no road or racecar has given me. I really wish FIA-GT did more with Group B and the rally tracks they sanction, perhaps renovate these dirt tracks to have a proper pit lane, because good GOD almighty this is RIDICULOUS fun!

You might have realised halfway into the review that I sneaked in an Evo Gr. B Road Car as well. That's because I find that these two cars are virtually indistinguishable from each other as far as on track performance goes. Everything I said about the WRX, applies to the Evo as well, from the stupid rear doors, understeer on wide tracks, right down to the lap times. They even share the exact same power and mass figures, and the similarities extend to even the 6 speed manual bit. That's right: you're looking at the only version of the Evo X with a 6 speed manual stick shift from the factory, though, true to the bottom of the barrel economy class cars Mitsubishi are seemingly hell bent on being known for nowadays, the engravings on the stick shift aren't updated to include a 6th forward gear, but are instead omitted entirely:

Evo X Final Edition:

Gr. B Road Car:

How are the two cars different? Well... they sound and look different... the Subie has its one exhaust on the left, and the Mitsu on the right. The coloured centre thing on the steering wheel is blue for the Subaru, and red for the Mitsubishi. They really want to make it clear that they are rivals, don't they? The Evo actually has mud guards, if only for the rear, and seems to come with AYC, though I can't even find an option to adjust it. I feel it slightly on corner exit, but it's set very mildly, if it's even there and not just my placebo. The Evo has its redline at 8,000rpm, 500 lower than that of the WRX, though, these cars are so similar that even their power curves up to that point are indistinguishable from each other's. The Evo actually comes with a third brake light in the middle, and cars missing those are a huge pet peeve for me. These two cars being nearly identical on the track means you can just pick whichever one you think looks or sounds best, or which brand you like more, and have a fair fight with the other. And that, I think, is a better outcome than being able to say one car is absolutely better than the other.

I don't even need to drive anything else to tell you that these two cars, right here, give anyone the most enthralling and comprehensive rally experience anyone can ask for. Nothing else can even fathom to come close to what these two cars can do and make you feel on dirt. It's just... for the love of all that you consider dear and holy, raise the ground clearance and swap out the expensive carbon bits for... whatever it is they use on the actual Group B cars. Trust me when I tell you that it's an experience you'll want more than once.

These two cars are both sleepers, for having the hardware and potential to be massively capable, and for being ridiculous BUCKETS of fun on dirt. It's just... I still think you really do need to be drunk, mentally challenged, high, hypnotised, and with a fresh concussion from blunt force trauma all at once to really want either car, though. It's the sort of car I wish a good friend of a friendly neighbour would have, just so I can borrow it for a bit of fun. But I don't want to have to live with it, I don't want to tolerate it on the roads, especially in an urban area. And most of all, I just don't want to be seen in something that looks as whack as either of these cars.

How can you not love the WRX Gr.B? It's quick! It handles really well! It looks good! The sound could use some work, but hey.

I had an absolute blast in it. I've always loved homologation models, and their "wolf in sheep's clothing" look. It's like a race car pretending to pass off as a road car. "Yeah, ignore my wide flares, massive spoiler, and obviously race oriented suspension setup.... I have air conditioning and in car entertainment! That makes me a road car." :lol:

There were some crazy good battles with Vic, which were tremendous fun! It's not the quickest of the Gr.B / Gr.3 Road cars, but still just as capable around most tracks and even has the extra rally ability most others don't. It's a solid sleeper 👍

So here I am laying in bed at midnight when I just remembered that racer asked me to announce the next car!

Oops.

So, anyway, he gave me the choice this week. And I figured, why not pick my single most used car in the game?

images (10).jpeg

Ah yes, the Nissan GT-R GT3! Monstrously quick in a straight line, notoriously difficult in the turns. I've spent the better part of two years mastering this thing and racing it in the Manufacturer Series, but do you think that's going to stop Vic from whooping my arse in it? :lol:

See y'all at the lobby!!!

The selection of a GT3 car was very timely this week. Thanks to a Steam sale over the past weekend, Assetto Corsa Competizione gets to take the spotlight for the first time in my "GTPlanet Car of the Week in games that aren't GT" series. And while running the game at maximum graphics is well beyond my PC's capabilities, it looks pretty enough and is more than passable for someone who can recall playing the original NES way back when.

The Nissan GT-R is one of those cars I've personally never connected with in my automotive passions. Don't get me wrong, I respect it and am impressed with it's performance. However it's not a particularly attractive car to my eyes; and while the engine note of the Turbo V-6 isn't bad, it doesn't have the personality of other engines. It doesn't roar or scream, it just sounds like more or less generic engine noise. Nonetheless, I took the GT3 version of the Nissan to the hills and undulations of Brands Hatch to see how it shook out.

Once I was behind the wheel, the GT-R quickly began to endear itself with me. While it looks massive and ungainly compared to some other GT3 machines, the Nissan felt downright nimble and easy to place on the correct line. And while class regulations mean the car doesn't have its trick AWD system, the GT-R nonetheless felt very stable and reliable through the corners on the "Safe" Setup. The ABS and TCS systems also operated in predictable and correct amounts, and the extra safety net they provided made the Nissan feel like it could be driven for hours on end without a spin. (As an aside; one of the biggest things that I like about Assetto Corsa and iRacing is how TCS is modeled to be realistic and useful instead of a hindrance like it is in GT Sport.)

Honestly, I would still probably choose an Aston Martin Vantage or a Mecredes AMG GT3 rather than the Nissan. That said, I think the GT-R GT3 is a very good race car and I can see myself coming back to it at some point. It impressed me more than I thought it would and I came out of this review with a higher opinion of the Nissan, so I'm calling it a Sleeper.

GT-R

There perhaps is no letter combination, no word, no name, as deeply revered and iconic in motorsports. The GT-R badge has always had a rich heritage of motorsport domination, and even just listing the accolades for the current generation of "Godzilla", the R35, is a bit of an exercise. It steamrolled Super GT GT500 in its debut year, claimed Nürburgring lap records Porsche couldn't believe, is a renowned drag monster, aftermarket tuner darling, and even held the Guinness World Record for Fastest Drift. As hyperbolic as this all must sound, it still feels like it's impossible to oversell the success of the R35 GT-R in any and all areas of motorsports, and the effect it has had in the automotive landscape as a result, just as the Godzilla in the movie had.

It should come as a surprise then, that, in my opinion, the GT3 variant of the R35 we tested this week sucked hairy, oversized, radioactive lizard balls.

The specific car we got in Gran Turismo Sport is the "Nissan GT-R NISMO GT3 N24 Schulze Motorsport", a car which raced in the SP9 class of the 2013 24 Hours of Nürburgring, and finished 22nd in its class. All in all, a pretty forgettable result, and by extension, a very forgettable car. I'll say this with every race car review: It's very simple to judge a racing car; if it wins, it's good. If not, it's bad. Quite literally nothing else matters in a racing car. Truly, the only reason this car gained any mainstream attention at all, and continues to maintain any relevance, is because Kaminori Samauchi drove it in the aforementioned race.

I know I just said nothing else matters on a racing car, but I cannot get past how AWFUL this thing looks.

As irrelevant as aesthetics should be in a racing car, the car's UGLY AS SIN looks I think is rather telling. Being a 2013 car, it is among the older cars in Gr. 3, with only the Aston V12 being an older GT3 car. This age is reflected in the bodywork of the GT-R: more modern GT3s, such as the R8 LMS, RC F GT3, and Huracán GT3 all have fenders flared much wider, boasting ducts, air channels, stretched out and sawn off bodywork to accommodate bombastic diffusers, swan neck wing stands, and what have you, to aid them around a track. The original purpose built Gr. 3 cars of 2017 barely even resemble their production cousins with how much changes their bodywork underwent. Put this 2013 car beside almost anything else in Gr. 3, and the differences are as obvious as the car is ugly.

Nate's long time Manufacturer's weapon, versus mine!

The 2013 GT-R GT3 on the other hand, looks almost looks fresh out of a Nissan showroom, with the only telltale signs of it being a racing car the gutted interior, roll cage, racing slicks, dropped ride height, tasteless overabundance of vents, and the too much for road use lips, splitters, and wing. Really, this car looks more like a GT4 car than it does a GT3 by today's standards. And I'm sad to say that it shows on the track as much as it does in the livery editor.

For the first race of this week's meet, we were racing at the GP Layout of the Nürburgring. Even at the very track it was set up to run, the GT-R felt no less a fat fish out of water than it did any other track in my practice sessions prior the race. The suspension I find too soft for my liking, making this car feel like a sack of pigs to haul around corners despite being the exact mass Gr. 3 seems to be centred around: 1,300kg (2,866lbs), untouched by BoP currently. This soft suspension makes car feel ambiguous and numb, and it's not a fun recipe when mixed in with the torque spikes of a highly boosted engine. Most importantly, I feel as if the alignment of the wheels just... isn't right. On tight corners like the Turn 7 hairpin, it was always the INSIDE front wheels that were scrubbing and screaming instead of the outside. That's just... not right, come on. I highly suspect the "one size fits all" suspension settings of this stupid "simulator" has fudged up the performance of this GT-R more than its Gr. 3 rivals, and it's... stupid, because the in-game description of this particular car claims that "the driving data gained from this machine did succeed in bringing new advancements to the simulation engine of Gran Turismo", in the copy and paste description from Gran Turismo 6. Why and how then, is it allowed to be so god-awful in GT Sport? Kaz himself drove this! How could he let this atrocity happen?

Below are the default setting sheets for the suspension of the car, from Gran Turismo 6 and Gran Turismo Sport, respectively:

Even quickly glancing over the most atrocious of differences, it's clear that GTS has Fudged Up Beyond All Recognition the car's suspension setup, and it therefore is no surprise that the car is horrid to drive as a result.

Ride Height (GT6)
Front: 67mm Rear: 73mm
Front: 2.63in Rear: 2.87in

Ride Height (GTS)
Front: 70mm Rear: 80mm
Front: 2.76in Rear: 3.15in

Spring Rates (GT6): Front springs are nearly 61.5% stiffer than the rear.
Spring Rates (GTS): LEL ALL SPRINGS ARE THE SAME

Toe Angles (GT6)
Front: -0.50° Rear: 0.63°
Toe Angles (GTS)
Front: -0.25° Rear: 0.50°

Because of the FUBAR suspension setup, the car struggles immensely with the tight first two sectors of Nürb GP, squirming under every command and struggling for grip through every corner. It always feels heavier than what it weighs, even with uprated Racing Medium tyres. It has immense trouble tucking its nose into apexes, from initial turn in all the way to apex. It's a painful chore to drag and wrestle this heap of materialised lethargy through switchbacks and chicanes, such as Turns 5 and 6, and the Schumacher S.

Part of this is perhaps due to the weight balance of the car: even with the front driveshaft delete and a full 100 litres of fuel on board aft the cockpit, the GT-R GT3 feels very nose heavy. Gran Turismo 6 claims a weight distribution of 54/46 F/R, which might be okay for a road car with AWD, but are disproportionate, lopsided pig figures for a GT3 car. Yeah, imagine giving players weight distribution figures in a racing simulator! Metric units for measurements! What novel concepts, eh PD?

Needless to say by this point, the car struggles to put down its 594PS, at an eyeball widening, cold sweat inducing 108% of its original 550PS with Balance of Performance applied. The boosted to hell and back VR38DETT struggles with moderation as well, either giving you everything or nothing depending on the revs and its mood, thanks also in part to Gran Turismo Sport's non-linear throttle pedal, adding yet more nails to a coffin that is already more nails than wood. This car feels so uncertain, numb, and snappy in corner exits, and it lets go with such suddenness, it really did feel like the rear tyres sporadically run over loose floor mats strewn across the track every corner exit.

That said, I do have 1,525km on my GT-R GT3. That's because, for a very long time, the GT-R GT3 was an absolutely necessary evil in Gr. 3. It had such ridiculous power in a straight line and top end performance, nothing else could come close to it on power inclined, or even top speed exploring tracks, such as Monza, Bathurst and Suzuka. This meant that, for a very long time when the GT-R was the king of straight line missiles, anyone who wanted to do well in races at these tracks had to learn the very specific way to drive a GT-R GT3 that didn't upset the moody car. It was so bad at its worst, with numbers so far beyond what it was originally intended to cope with, it didn't feel like a GT3 car at all, true to what its looks would suggest. When one thinks of GT3 racing cars, they most likely have a baseline of expectations of how they should handle and drive. The GT-R GT3 falls WAY below that threshold of reasonable expectation for a GT3 car, especially in its prime when BoPped to carve out its competitive niche.

With BoP as it is now, the straight line missile award seems to be split between the Aston V12 GT3 and Viper GT3-R, with the GT-R nowhere to be seen, meaning the ONE thing it was good for, others do better now. I really struggle to find a single good thing to say about the GT-R GT3. It handles like sliding on poop, feels like its suspension is stuffed with poop, and looks as awful as if Godzilla had pooped it out. Where it differs from poop is that poop is actually useful for something in the right applications; the GT-R GT3 is quite literally good for nothing, both in real life and virtually. Hell, the only comparison I can draw with this car that favours it is that, of Nissan's two Manufacturer Series cars, this is actually the more competitive of the two.

You know I'm sick of the car when I hop into something else over the course of the week's meet to try and beat the given week's car. I did a grand total of ONE race in the GT-R, just as a formality, before hopping into other Gr. 3 cars. I drove over the course of the meet, the RC F, Atenza, and AMG GT3, all previous Cars of the Week (and also the RX-Vision, THAT car's turn might come soon enough ;) ). These are all front engine cars that aren't leaderboard darlings. And all of them will soundly whoop a GT-R GT3 around any given track. The Atenza and RX-Vision are by no means easy drives by Gr. 3 standards, but I could at least find a rhythm and groove in them. I could trust them. They were consistent and even predictable (in the Atenza's case) by comparison. Hell, compared to the GT-R, both were as easy to drive as pooping into a diaper.

HOWE is he so fast?!​

You have SO MANY other options in the by now finely balanced Gr. 3, that there is truly no reason you ever have to bother with this... thing. It is a spiteful, necessary evil at its best, and simply disdainful rubbish at its worst. You really have to be either a masochist, or a Nissan fanatic to ever want to bother with this long since decomposing piece of poop.

I recognise that most of its shortcomings I felt in my testing are direct results of the disservice this rubbish game does to the car, with its stupid suspension settings and non-linear throttle. As valid as I feel those complaints are, it also feels like making excuses for the car. Car of the Week tested this exact car, along with other variants of GT3 R35s in Gran Turismo 6's Car of the Week thread, and the opinion back then seems to be unanimous that this car just... sucks.

Across both real life and different versions of virtual realities, it's consistently a Beater and binner.

Remember when we used to think Kaz loved his GT-Rs?

I've only one video for this week. We didn't have very good races this week, due to spotty connections, bad drivers who refused to brake for corners and refused to leave, and some bad driving on my part as well.

For some context, this was how bad the connection this week had been:

IYAA YAMETE DEKASUGI ANTA NO KODOMO WA HOSHIKUNAI NAZE NEITO SAN NO ME NO MAE NI SURU NO NEITO NO TAME NI MAMOTTE IRU NONI GOMENNASAI~!

GT-R

There perhaps is no letter combination, no word, no name, as deeply revered and iconic in motorsports. The GT-R badge has always had a rich heritage of motorsport domination, and even just listing the accolades for the current generation of "Godzilla", the R35, is a bit of an exercise. It steamrolled Super GT GT500 in its debut year, claimed Nürburgring lap records Porsche couldn't believe, is a renowned drag monster, aftermarket tuner darling, and even held the Guinness World Record for Fastest Drift. As hyperbolic as this all must sound, it still feels like it's impossible to oversell the success of the R35 GT-R in any and all areas of motorsports, and the effect it has had in the automotive landscape as a result, just as the Godzilla in the movie had.

It should come as a surprise then, that, in my opinion, the GT3 variant of the R35 we tested this week sucked hairy, oversized, radioactive lizard balls.

The specific car we got in Gran Turismo Sport is the "Nissan GT-R NISMO GT3 N24 Schulze Motorsport", a car which raced in the SP9 class of the 2013 24 Hours of Nürburgring, and finished 22nd in its class. All in all, a pretty forgettable result, and by extension, a very forgettable car. I'll say this with every race car review: It's very simple to judge a racing car; if it wins, it's good. If not, it's bad. Quite literally nothing else matters in a racing car. Truly, the only reason this car gained any mainstream attention at all, and continues to maintain any relevance, is because Kaminori Samauchi drove it in the aforementioned race.

I know I just said nothing else matters on a racing car, but I cannot get past how AWFUL this thing looks.

As irrelevant as aesthetics should be in a racing car, the car's UGLY AS SIN looks I think is rather telling. Being a 2013 car, it is among the older cars in Gr. 3, with only the Aston V12 being an older GT3 car. This age is reflected in the bodywork of the GT-R: more modern GT3s, such as the R8 LMS, RC F GT3, and Huracán GT3 all have fenders flared much wider, boasting ducts, air channels, stretched out and sawn off bodywork to accommodate bombastic diffusers, swan neck wing stands, and what have you, to aid them around a track. The original purpose built Gr. 3 cars of 2017 barely even resemble their production cousins with how much changes their bodywork underwent. Put this 2013 car beside almost anything else in Gr. 3, and the differences are as obvious as the car is ugly.

Nate's long time Manufacturer's weapon, versus mine!

The 2013 GT-R GT3 on the other hand, looks almost looks fresh out of a Nissan showroom, with the only telltale signs of it being a racing car the gutted interior, roll cage, racing slicks, dropped ride height, tasteless overabundance of vents, and the too much for road use lips, splitters, and wing. Really, this car looks more like a GT4 car than it does a GT3 by today's standards. And I'm sad to say that it shows on the track as much as it does in the livery editor.

For the first race of this week's meet, we were racing at the GP Layout of the Nürburgring. Even at the very track it was set up to run, the GT-R felt no less a fat fish out of water than it did any other track in my practice sessions prior the race. The suspension I find too soft for my liking, making this car feel like a sack of pigs to haul around corners despite being the exact mass Gr. 3 seems to be centred around: 1,300kg (2,866lbs), untouched by BoP currently. This soft suspension makes car feel ambiguous and numb, and it's not a fun recipe when mixed in with the torque spikes of a highly boosted engine. Most importantly, I feel as if the alignment of the wheels just... isn't right. On tight corners like the Turn 7 hairpin, it was always the INSIDE front wheels that were scrubbing and screaming instead of the outside. That's just... not right, come on. I highly suspect the "one size fits all" suspension settings of this stupid "simulator" has fudged up the performance of this GT-R more than its Gr. 3 rivals, and it's... stupid, because the in-game description of this particular car claims that "the driving data gained from this machine did succeed in bringing new advancements to the simulation engine of Gran Turismo", in the copy and paste description from Gran Turismo 6. Why and how then, is it allowed to be so god-awful in GT Sport? Kaz himself drove this! How could he let this atrocity happen?

Below are the default setting sheets for the suspension of the car, from Gran Turismo 6 and Gran Turismo Sport, respectively:

Even quickly glancing over the most atrocious of differences, it's clear that GTS has Fudged Up Beyond All Recognition the car's suspension setup, and it therefore is no surprise that the car is horrid to drive as a result.

Ride Height (GT6)
Front: 67mm Rear: 73mm
Front: 2.63in Rear: 2.87in

Ride Height (GTS)
Front: 70mm Rear: 80mm
Front: 2.76in Rear: 3.15in

Spring Rates (GT6): Front springs are nearly 61.5% stiffer than the rear.
Spring Rates (GTS): LEL ALL SPRINGS ARE THE SAME

Toe Angles (GT6)
Front: -0.50° Rear: 0.63°
Toe Angles (GTS)
Front: -0.25° Rear: 0.50°

Because of the FUBAR suspension setup, the car struggles immensely with the tight first two sectors of Nürb GP, squirming under every command and struggling for grip through every corner. It always feels heavier than what it weighs, even with uprated Racing Medium tyres. It has immense trouble tucking its nose into apexes, from initial turn in all the way to apex. It's a painful chore to drag and wrestle this heap of materialised lethargy through switchbacks and chicanes, such as Turns 5 and 6, and the Schumacher S.

Part of this is perhaps due to the weight balance of the car: even with the front driveshaft delete and a full 100 litres of fuel on board aft the cockpit, the GT-R GT3 feels very nose heavy. Gran Turismo 6 claims a weight distribution of 54/46 F/R, which might be okay for a road car with AWD, but are disproportionate, lopsided pig figures for a GT3 car. Yeah, imagine giving players weight distribution figures in a racing simulator! Metric units for measurements! What novel concepts, eh PD?

Needless to say by this point, the car struggles to put down its 594PS, at an eyeball widening, cold sweat inducing 108% of its original 550PS with Balance of Performance applied. The boosted to hell and back VR38DETT struggles with moderation as well, either giving you everything or nothing depending on the revs and its mood, thanks also in part to Gran Turismo Sport's non-linear throttle pedal, adding yet more nails to a coffin that is already more nails than wood. This car feels so uncertain, numb, and snappy in corner exits, and it lets go with such suddenness, it really did feel like the rear tyres sporadically run over loose floor mats strewn across the track every corner exit.

That said, I do have 1,525km on my GT-R GT3. That's because, for a very long time, the GT-R GT3 was an absolutely necessary evil in Gr. 3. It had such ridiculous power in a straight line and top end performance, nothing else could come close to it on power inclined, or even top speed exploring tracks, such as Monza, Bathurst and Suzuka. This meant that, for a very long time when the GT-R was the king of straight line missiles, anyone who wanted to do well in races at these tracks had to learn the very specific way to drive a GT-R GT3 that didn't upset the moody car. It was so bad at its worst, with numbers so far beyond what it was originally intended to cope with, it didn't feel like a GT3 car at all, true to what its looks would suggest. When one thinks of GT3 racing cars, they most likely have a baseline of expectations of how they should handle and drive. The GT-R GT3 falls WAY below that threshold of reasonable expectation for a GT3 car, especially in its prime when BoPped to carve out its competitive niche.

With BoP as it is now, the straight line missile award seems to be split between the Aston V12 GT3 and Viper GT3-R, with the GT-R nowhere to be seen, meaning the ONE thing it was good for, others do better now. I really struggle to find a single good thing to say about the GT-R GT3. It handles like sliding on poop, feels like its suspension is stuffed with poop, and looks as awful as if Godzilla had pooped it out. Where it differs from poop is that poop is actually useful for something in the right applications; the GT-R GT3 is quite literally good for nothing, both in real life and virtually. Hell, the only comparison I can draw with this car that favours it is that, of Nissan's two Manufacturer Series cars, this is actually the more competitive of the two.

You know I'm sick of the car when I hop into something else over the course of the week's meet to try and beat the given week's car. I did a grand total of ONE race in the GT-R, just as a formality, before hopping into other Gr. 3 cars. I drove over the course of the meet, the RC F, Atenza, and AMG GT3, all previous Cars of the Week (and also the RX-Vision, THAT car's turn might come soon enough ;) ). These are all front engine cars that aren't leaderboard darlings. And all of them will soundly whoop a GT-R GT3 around any given track. The Atenza and RX-Vision are by no means easy drives by Gr. 3 standards, but I could at least find a rhythm and groove in them. I could trust them. They were consistent and even predictable (in the Atenza's case) by comparison. Hell, compared to the GT-R, both were as easy to drive as pooping into a diaper.

HOWE is he so fast?!​

You have SO MANY other options in the by now finely balanced Gr. 3, that there is truly no reason you ever have to bother with this... thing. It is a spiteful, necessary evil at its best, and simply disdainful rubbish at its worst. You really have to be either a masochist, or a Nissan fanatic to ever want to bother with this long since decomposing piece of poop.

I recognise that most of its shortcomings I felt in my testing are direct results of the disservice this rubbish game does to the car, with its stupid suspension settings and non-linear throttle. As valid as I feel those complaints are, it also feels like making excuses for the car. Car of the Week tested this exact car, along with other variants of GT3 R35s in Gran Turismo 6's Car of the Week thread, and the opinion back then seems to be unanimous that this car just... sucks.

Across both real life and different versions of virtual realities, it's consistently a Beater and binner.

Remember when we used to think Kaz loved his GT-Rs?

I've only one video for this week. We didn't have very good races this week, due to spotty connections, bad drivers who refused to brake for corners and refused to leave, and some bad driving on my part as well.

For some context, this was how bad the connection this week had been:

IYAA YAMETE DEKASUGI ANTA NO KODOMO WA HOSHIKUNAI NAZE NEITO SAN NO ME NO MAE NI SURU NO NEITO NO TAME NI MAMOTTE IRU NONI GOMENNASAI~!

Sorry for mounting you...

Sorry for mounting you...

Nah man, it's all good. You shouldn't have to apologise for that. It wasn't your fault at all. You couldn't have possibly known I was there with how bad the lobby's connection had been. I brought it up as a joke and to show how bad the connection was :lol:

Back