Car of the Week 228: COTY GTS Finale

• Thread starter Racer283
  • 3,110 comments
I apologize for the messy post. I ****ed up again and almost triple posted. I tried my best to salvage it:

@[https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/members/mrwaflz55.259204/="MrWaflz55, post: 12925064, member: 259204"]My Anaconda Don’t
A mildly serious review of the Viper GTS by MrWaflz55.

View attachment 865239

There is nothing else I can say, you called it 100%. Nailed it! :cheers: I'm neutral on this car, but the rawness is real.

I actually prefer the 1998 Viper GTS Coupe and hope that comes up for COTW soon. That car had a perfect balance of brute force and civility, though any Viper is hardly civil ;) but that one I feel tried the hardest.

I very much enjoy the Ferraris in the game, though I haven't driven a road car version of the 458 Italian. I like the older models personally, my favorite being the 1976 512 BB to drive and I think the Ferrari Dino is a contender for top 3 most beautiful cars on EARTH, If I could own one Ferrari in my life it would be the Dino. The lines are truly jaw dropping. Enzo created the Dino in memory of his son that passed away... there is passion, and then there's Italian passion that's like pizza that's too hot! The Dino 246 GT is my favorite Dino.

@Whoever wrote this, I apologise, I take 40mg Valium a day and have no memory. Like, at all.

NEWSFLASH!!!

Just a little PSA, it's still a bit early but not a silly idea to start thinking about your picks for this year's Car Of The Year awards!! Being one of the most diverse groups in GTPlanet as far as the cars that we race, there's a lot to choose from. From the brutally raw Shelby Cobra to the insanely quick Pagani Huayra, and everything in between! Which car from this year's racing has put the biggest smile on your dial?

I'll start compiling up the categories, then announce the list a bit later on. We'll keep some of the usuals (Best looking, worst looking, best movie car, etc...), but if you have any other suggestions for categories send them through to either myself or @Racer283. Again this is still early days, but start thinking about the good, the bad and the beaters..

Also, something I've talked with Racer a bit a few months back but was too busy to put too much time into it.. Playing With TT's!!
With GT Sport lacking the club features GT6 had, we kind of just left our community Time Trial event back in the seventh generation of gaming. However, if there was enough interest, we could bring it back, albeit a bit different to how we used to do it.

Because there's no real way to 100% ensure that everyone is lapping in equal cars, I devised a few ways we could run the time trials fairly..
- Run the cars with BoP enabled, thus locking the power and weight figures. Does that lock the settings too? Idk.
- Run time trials as a "Maxed Out" event. Give it all the power, lose all the weight, squeeze every bit out of the car!
- Or just make it so every driver has to submit proof that their lap was set on a stock car. Somehow. Probably video.

If nobody cares much for bringing back the time trials, then that's cool, I just thought it would be something to do for those who perhaps can't join us on the Tuesday nights. Keen to hear people's thoughts! :cheers:[/QUOTE]

I'd love to do time trials!!! I'm getting PS+ on Monday and will be joining in! Super stoked, especially after a bad week of job interviews. The market is rough right now. I'm a dog groomer so I always get work but hate it, long story. I have so many interviews lined up so I'll be ok.

Can't f'in wait to play with y'all online!
Cheers to everyone!

Last edited:
I think Enzo Ferrari made the accusation that Ferrucio Lamborghini made the world's fastest dump trucks... straight from Sant' Agata... and this is true to a degree. We've all heard and driven the Veneno and the original Aventador and they drive like the raging bulls that they are... not a great deal of finesse and you have to manhandle them on the track.

Well the Viper is no different. I have a soft spot for these as I remember they do quite well in GT5/6 and I used crazy builds in Forza like twin turbo 4wd 900hp Vipers on the 'ring.

However this last of the Vipers? Like in real life you should have just bought a nice C7 Corvette. You can win races in the Viper and they arent that bad with a tune but I remember following the 2014 Corvette and that car seems to do everything with a lot more grace and ease.

You should have half a dozen Vipers by now and you should have gotten just about every Viper for free. IMO they are all cars you drive because you want a challenge.

Its much much easier in a Corvette or a 911 or a 458 or a McLaren or...

6125472739003236372_0.jpg

The 2013 Viper GTS: Possibly My New Favorite N-Class...?
It's loud, it's wasteful, it's suicide on four wheels, but I can't help but love it!

Ah yes, the Viper. As I've said before on this thread and in this group, American cars aren't really my thing. Granted, I can respect them for what they are, and if you stuck me in a Ford GT and told me to drive, I could probably churn out a respectable lap time. But they just don't excite me, I'm not exactly drawn to them. Now, I'll admit that mindset has changed somewhat in the last few months. The ZL1 1LE was absolutely incredible to drive, I loved it, but now we have another contender worthy of my liking. The 2013 GTS Viper.

Like most American cars, the Viper has sort of just flown under the radar personally. I drove the older ones in the older games and they were alright, but as I said they just didn't click with me personally. Even this model, the 2013 GTS. Back in GT6 I had the launch edition, but it just didn't make me want to drive it again and again for sheer joy.

(On a side note, did you know that the Viper marquee has been in every single GT game ever, with the exclusion of GT HD Concept? It feels like one of those little trivial bits I should have known, but still came as a surprise to me. :eek:)

However, this week I searched through my garage and behold, there was a lone Viper sitting there, no doubt from a daily marathon many months ago. So then, let's dive into why I now love this car...

8575491418602079752_0.jpg

Reason 1: It looks incredible!!!

I'm not sure if it's the car itself, or this simple but attractive livery by Sugar_501, but I like the look of this car! It's got a great shape, it looks clean, fast and very threatening all while standing still! Even the little details, like the scoops, the side exit exhausts, the way the headlights sort of angle themselves together in a menacing scowl. It all comes together for a fiercely intimidating look! And of course the ACR stripes just add to it all! 👍

6278608318459020308_0.jpg

Reason 2: ALL THAT PERFORMANCE!!!!

Under that hood is the biggest production engine in the world today. With an 8.4 V10 delivering 640bhp directly to the rear wheels, it's not the most powerful car in it's class, but with 814Nm of torque you'll have more than you know what to do with!

On the Tuesday night, I raced without TCS at all. It's not something I normally do, but after the first few test drives, I felt pretty comfortable using my G29 and shifter, on the sport medium tyres and no TCS. And I was really happy with the speed of the Viper. I figured out how to get off the line relatively quick by riding the clutch, which kept the revs up and left a few skids, but seemed to give me a slight jump on everyone else.

It felt really good with the H pattern shifter, like it was a real, honest car. Sounds silly I know, but when I use it on some cars it feels a bit fake, like it's almost too smooth or too effortless. In the Viper, I was banging through the gears, feeling like it was really the car itself, driving it to the limit!
(Maybe one day I'll set up a pedal cam / shifter cam so y'all can see how hard I drive. Not to blow my own trumpet but I shift pretty damn quick. ;))

6278045377498186780_0.jpg

Reason 3: Handles like a dream!!!

Despite being a big, heavy, powerful brute of a muscle car, it clings to corners really well! The brakes are good but not overly powerful, which is what I like (my pet peeve is race cars and road cars that brake like LMP cars), and when I did overestimate my marks I could pull it up without too much hassle, even chuck it sideways and scrub off speed via an impromptu drift.

It also, funnily enough, drifts really well! Even on SM tyres with no tuning at all, I beat a few of my scores in various drift trials. The mid range torque and the quick steering makes for a great out-of-the-box drift car, if that appeals to you. :D

It didn't take much practice to get a good feeling for the Viper, again despite being a big scary snake, you can wrangle it pretty well. It's when you start to try asking for 10/10ths or more, that's when it starts to bite you.

So, the Viper GTS is in my opinion, a strong contender for Car Of The Year. It's a big sleeper for me, mainly because we always knew it would be quick in a straight line, but it has handling to match! 👍 👍 👍 👍

The rest of my vids from this week:

ZssUnEy.jpg

"Ah S***, Here We Go Again."
Livery by Rock_Barber
Oh, Worst Shelby Cobra. It's not everyday that a model gets a second chance at livelihood. It should've have been Chrysler's chance to do something new with the Viper nameplate and make it relevant again. Instead, it was just a calamity of mistakes. First they made essentially the same car that had already failed once before, except they tried to re-brand it as an "SRT" rather than a Dodge. Then, they designed it to compete with C6 Corvette; just as GM was about to pull the covers off the C7 and catch the new Viper with its pants down. Then, they prematurely pulled the plug on the Viper's IMSA program just as it was starting to become competitive. Finally, they just outright made the Viper irrelevant to a large segment of American buyers by creating "The Cult of Hellcat," and getting people to drop big money for decade-old Challengers that could go fast in a straight line.

My opinion's still the same: You want something like the Dodge Viper, just get a Shelby Cobra. Otherwise; you have a plethora of more modern and more forgiving cars that will get you fast lap times in a fraction of the hours you'll spend in the dirt, grass, and walls in this supposed "pure sports car." Absolute Beater.

---

In other news: I made my grand return to FIA races this weekend, with my T150 and my switch to Chevrolet in tow. And it took me all of one turn to get caught up in the first of a couple of wrecks that weren't my fault, but I still got a penalty for. Yet I still got a decent finish?

Last edited:
My Viper '13 has a tune in it, I think max weight loss and 540hp. I took it around Spa.

I then used a Corvette '14. I dont think max weight but some weight loss and only 440hp. On Spa the Viper loses the Corvette on the straights but the Corvette is faster everywhere else AND is the much more relaxed rewarding comfortable drive.

The Viper is among the 2nd tier of super sport cars.

I'm with @JackRyanWMU on the status of the Viper. Anyone remember the beater '02 Viper we tested back in week 16? IMO the '13 model is just as difficult, just as heavy, but has 200 extra horsepower. Super-beater. At least it looks pretty.

Livery by lyrecoman https://www.gran-turismo.com/us/gts...arLivery/livery/5289906/1/8215213410117255736

4981003186921834012_0.jpg

How can anyone find the '02 Viper to be a beater. This is my favourite Viper model by far. Design wise, and especially handling wise. It handles like a dream.

I did a 07.46.472 with the Aston on the Nordschleife. Rather "tame" time, but as most Astons, this one is also rather heavy and thus not really a hot lapper. I love its design and sound though. Also, it does feel very nice, even while being pushed. Nice car.

Well, that seemed to be the majority consensus when we raced it back in week 16. In fact, it was only edged out for "beater of the year" status by the Hyundai Genesis. You can read our reviews partway down page 13 in this thread.

But what do we know :dunce:

Well, it lapped the Ring in 07.35.133. And that wasn't really its limit at all. Considering its age and power to weight ratio, I can confidently say it is rather a sleeper, than a beater.

And please don't say its handling is bad. It is very easy to move at the limit, while being fun, and there really are not many cars I would consider better handling.

Last edited:
After playing Neanderthals with the Viper last week, I knew COTW was in desperate need of some class and refinement this week. And when I realized that Aston Martin had yet to get the spotlight in GT Sport, it made my selection all the more obvious.

So leave your clubs in the cave, and enjoy the style and sophistication this week. :sly:

After playing Neanderthals with the Viper last week, I knew COTW was in desperate need of some class and refinement this week. And when I realized that Aston Martin had yet to get the spotlight in GT Sport, it made my selection all the more obvious.

So leave your clubs in the cave, and enjoy the style and sophistication this week. :sly: [QUOTE =]
I know I will! I prefer Lotus heavily, but it's one gorgeous car. I'm with @alex p about the older Vipers, though I'm partial to the GTS myself.

On with the creamy hand stitches leather and less stiff suspensions, onto a real luxury GT car. I like mine Japanese, but I'm certainly not opposed to so little $$$ for that bellisimo car. Lmao I still have to make sure to edit!

Unshaking and Unstirring
A mildly serious review of the Aston Martin Vantage V8 S and Vantage “GT4” by MrWaflz55

74BB2324-04BE-412C-8C8A-39016616DA06.jpeg

The Aston Martin Vantage, it’s probably one of, if not the best car Aston Martin has ever produced. It’s perfectly proportioned, makes a great noise (especially in V12 configuration), and is the basis of several successful racing models. Sounds like it has the perfect pedigree then. But really, we all know the best part of the Vantage is the fact that James Bond has never driven one! Got you there with the title, didn’t I? Not quite, because that title does a good job of explaining the car in the game as well.

How does that title translate into the world of GT Sport? Well, it is certainly a stable car that doesn’t fuss about too much unlike the Viper we drove last week. This car has a much bigger sense of stability surrounding it, which instilled me with more confidence driving it. However, the road model has a strange handling quirk where the rear tire on the inside of whatever turn your taking seems to want to lift off the ground like some sort of weird FF car, maybe not completely but enough for me to notice. Most cars have this effect when sending all the weight towards the front axle, but I found the rear of the Aston pitching up slightly more than I’d like from it.

As for the racing, I was running the entire night on my last two brain cells from grinding out challenges in Modern Warfare all day, so my reaction time was shot. As a result, I was pretty uncompetitive during the races.

The road version is a lot of fun to drive around with on the game in custom races and fun lobbies, but for competitive racing a 911 or BMW will beat this 9/10 times guaranteed. The car just seems to be a little too heavy to be truly viable. However power and torque are decent for the range, so it’s not a bad choice for fast circuits.

Now onto the Gr.4. It’s a perfect example of how boring the Gr.4 class can be to drive. It’s pretty much perfectly neutral handling with a hint of understeer and it’s impossible to upset the Gr.4 car no matter what you do. It’s good for close spec racing but it produces absolutely no drama whatsoever. I’ve seen many people say GT’s physics suck because you’re on rails and this would be the car that exemplifies that point the most. Driving the same Aston over on PC2 even on a controller proves to be more engaging and challenging.

So, the Aston Martin V8 Vantage. Yeah, it’s a stable and fun to drive car in road form and an absolute bore in Gr.4 race form. However, if you need a car you can shut your brain off with, the Gr.4 is probably for you. That’s probably how I managed to salvage the night with a Barcelona win despite awful results up until then in the road car.

Verdict? Same with all road cars in the game, drive a 911 instead.

Last edited:
Here's a question for you all? I've noticed that in the past few weeks we have been starting COTW earlier and earlier, so do we want to start COTW at 8PM MST or 9PM MST which is 9PM CST or 10PM CST. Up to you guys what you want to do this way everyone knows what time racing starts and that way they can join in.

Here's a question for you all? I've noticed that in the past few weeks we have been starting COTW earlier and earlier,

I've noticed. I don't get home from work until quarter past eleven Eastern time, and now it seems like I barely even get to race before the room breaks up for the night. If it officially went to an hour earlier start time, I'd probably have to give up participating.

Maybe just as well, I seem to just get run over every race now. I miss the AGS Rule...

Here's a question for you all? I've noticed that in the past few weeks we have been starting COTW earlier and earlier, so do we want to start COTW at 8PM MST or 9PM MST which is 9PM CST or 10PM CST. Up to you guys what you want to do this way everyone knows what time racing starts and that way they can join in.

I've noticed. I don't get home from work until quarter past eleven Eastern time, and now it seems like I barely even get to race before the room breaks up for the night. If it officially went to an hour earlier start time, I'd probably have to give up participating.

Maybe just as well, I seem to just get run over every race now. I miss the AGS Rule...

Might be partially my fault there, being the one that's out of touch with the time zones (especially since we recently did the daylight savings shifts and all that), I kind of just open the room when I see most of the group come online.

Personally later works better for me too, since it's still daylight here when we race so the later we're racing, the more I can get done beforehand during the day. Lately I've been starting at around 3:30ish NZ Time, again just because about 75% of the regulars are online by then, so if I started going an hour later, no complaints here :)

I usually don't get on till 9PM MST because I'm watching some of my fall shows before we race. I know last night I hopped on at 10 and the races had already ended. Hopefully we can go back to a later start time so everyone gets a chance to race.

I wonder since we can't really do AGS in GTS, I know we can add ballast but I'm not sure if it counts as tuning but if we can then we can add that to the winner of a race and see if that creates more of a close field.

I wonder since we can't really do AGS in GTS, I know we can add ballast but I'm not sure if it counts as tuning but if we can then we can add that to the winner of a race and see if that creates more of a close field.

I think AGS would be easy enough, it would just be up to the host to make sure before each race that everyone's on the correct tyres before hitting the start button.

Would be interesting to see how it leveled the playing field, if at all

So, surprise!!! I made more COTW liveries!!!

5980806702043268628_0.jpg

I created this design many months ago, but you know how life can be. One thing pops up, then another, then days become weeks, become months.... and this sort of fell to the bottom of the pile.

Well I rediscovered them tonight, so with a relatively free schedule and a nice rum, I decided to finish them!! I went with the same colour schemes as people requested for their Mustangs, so you should now have a matching pair. :D

Ash's livery @Draggon

Rob's livery @RobboGTAddict

Vic's livery @Vic Reign93

Baron's livery @Baron Blitz Red

Mr Waflz's livery @MrWaflz55

Racer's livery @Racer283

Rinsky's livery @Rinsky

Soyuz's livery @Soyuz 77

Jack's livery @JackRyanWMU

That's all the people who have Mustangs, if there's anyone else who may have more recently joined us and you'd like your own team COTW livery, let me know what colour and number you're after and I can whip it up for you! :sly:

Last edited:
So, surprise!!! I made more COTW liveries!!!

View attachment 867558

I created this design many months ago, but you know how life can be. One thing pops up, then another, then days become weeks, become months.... and this sort of fell to the bottom of the pile.

Well I rediscovered them tonight, so with a relatively free schedule and a nice rum, I decided to finish them!! I went with the same colour schemes as people requested for their Mustangs, so you should now have a matching pair. :D

Ash's livery @Draggon

Rob's livery @RobboGTAddict

Vic's livery @Vic Reign93

Baron's livery @Baron Blitz Red

Mr Waflz's livery @MrWaflz55

Racer's livery @Racer283

Rinsky's livery @Rinsky

Soyuz's livery @Soyuz 77

Jack's livery @JackRyanWMU

That's all the people who have Mustangs, if there's anyone else who may have more recently joined us and you'd like your own team COTW livery, let me know what colour and number you're after and I can whip it up for you! :sly:

Excellent work again, Nate! and terrific choice of vehicle.

The Classic British GT Car

I prefer my Gtand Touring cars to be JDM - you know, the GTO/VR-4 series, Skyline series, Eunos Cosmos, Subaru SVX. For some reason to me personally they just hit the spot. I'll spare you on waxing poetic about my '96 3000GT VR-4 experience, lol.

However, my favorite company on Earth is Lotus, in specific the Lotus Esprit (my dream car in Twin Turbo or S4 form).
So this was super fun for me because Lotus, especially in the 90s-2004, was making cars that were the opposite of Aston Martin.
Lotus was making lightweight barely legal race production cars, whilst Aston Martin was more of a true British luxury GT car, emphasis on luxury.

I really enjoyed the stability of this car. It doesn't actually feel as fast as it is either, which is also true of these cars. Handling was super predictable, the brakes were good, and the car is gorgeous to look at. I can definitely see myself using this all stock in arcade, so I give it a neutral.

Back