Car of the Week 228: COTY GTS Finale

• Thread starter Racer283
  • 3,110 comments
That Nardo always kept me on my feet, I loved that car, it was gorgeous!

Yes, yes it was... I had a pretty decent tune on her in GT6, and ya, she rocked!

A visual comparison of the Countach... the GT6 version:

70Z2MEk.jpg

And the GT Sport version ( along with the 25th Anniversary):

iGZEBDX.jpg

As @Nismonath5 was mentioning saving up for the Countach, I looked it up and I forgot the older one was almost triple the price of the Anniversary edition!!! How I miss the wing on that one!!!

Cheers

As @Nismonath5 was mentioning saving up for the Countach, I looked it up and I forgot the older one was almost triple the price of the Anniversary edition!!! How I miss the wing on that one!!!
It wouldn't have been so bad if I hadn't just dropped about $6 million on cars (The update cars, plus the X2019... got sick of waiting for the daily wheel)

Also...

COTW NEWSFLASH!!!

Just a little PSA, it's still a bit early but not a silly idea to start thinking about your picks for this year's Car Of The Year awards!! Being one of the most diverse groups in GTPlanet as far as the cars that we race, there's a lot to choose from. From the brutally raw Shelby Cobra to the insanely quick Pagani Huayra, and everything in between! Which car from this year's racing has put the biggest smile on your dial?

I'll start compiling up the categories, then announce the list a bit later on. We'll keep some of the usuals (Best looking, worst looking, best movie car, etc...), but if you have any other suggestions for categories send them through to either myself or @Racer283. Again this is still early days, but start thinking about the good, the bad and the beaters..

Also, something I've talked with Racer a bit a few months back but was too busy to put too much time into it.. Playing With TT's!!
With GT Sport lacking the club features GT6 had, we kind of just left our community Time Trial event back in the seventh generation of gaming. However, if there was enough interest, we could bring it back, albeit a bit different to how we used to do it.

Because there's no real way to 100% ensure that everyone is lapping in equal cars, I devised a few ways we could run the time trials fairly..
- Run the cars with BoP enabled, thus locking the power and weight figures. Does that lock the settings too? Idk.
- Run time trials as a "Maxed Out" event. Give it all the power, lose all the weight, squeeze every bit out of the car!
- Or just make it so every driver has to submit proof that their lap was set on a stock car. Somehow. Probably video.

If nobody cares much for bringing back the time trials, then that's cool, I just thought it would be something to do for those who perhaps can't join us on the Tuesday nights. Keen to hear people's thoughts! :cheers:

- Or just make it so every driver has to submit proof that their lap was set on a stock car. Somehow. Probably video.

Instead of using the in-game "Fastest Lap" feature, we could just get everyone to show the settings by actually looking at them from top to bottom, run the laps, and then hit the "Share" button on the controller. This would save the entire session to the PS4's Capture Gallery and send that to our YouTube channels.

That's one way of doing it, but it wouldn't be fool proof... even old farts like me use Share Factory, which enables editing of course. But all those videos have the Share Factory screen before the actual video itself.

Just an idea...

Cheers

j1akwrm.jpg

Did We Really Need Two Beetles in One Game?
Livery by IvanTheEmperor
The Volkswagen Beetle has about as much place in GT3 racing as a vegan at a barbecue. Yet, somehow here it is, against any kind of common sense. So let's set aside the fact that there have been no production mid-engine rear drive Beetles made in decades, or that this Beetle's engine note feels as exciting and dynamic as an electric eggbeater that's overloaded and about to kick off the circuit breaker. Even then, I found its wheelbase too narrow to handle its power and every corner was an exercise in trying to control the cars' twitchy reaction to every input in my wheel and throttle. While other GT3 cars like the Aston Martin Vantage, the Chevrolet Corvette, and the Ford Mustang feel like sturdy and stable vessels; the Beetle feels like taking a canoe into a hurricane. Beater and Never Coming Back to this Again.

Bringing back the playing with TT's portion of COTW sounds like a great idea to me. It used to get pretty intense, if I remember correctly @Baron Blitz Red! It also opens up the weekly activities to drivers who can't regularly commit to a Tuesday night / Wednesday morning. And negates dealing with server connection bugs. I'm partial to the BoP method.

Oh and speaking of bugs...
I was surprised to see the suzuka race was run last Tuesday night. I was disconnected just before and the lobby completely disappeared after. :confused: I thought everyone had been booted so I went to bed. The few races I did get were nothing really to write home about. The Beetle GR. 3 is unexpectedly quick, but the short wheelbase doesn't match up with my driving style and I suffered with catastrophic understeer on the limit followed by twitchy corner exits.
As a beetle, hilarious and fantastic! As a gr. 3 car, I have to say its a beater in my hands.

Bringing back the playing with TT's portion of COTW sounds like a great idea to me. It used to get pretty intense, if I remember correctly @Baron Blitz Red! It also opens up the weekly activities to drivers who can't regularly commit to a Tuesday night / Wednesday morning. And negates dealing with server connection bugs. I'm partial to the BoP method.

Oh I remember fairly well just how close some of the times were... sometimes within thousands of a second in some cases!!! And of course, the back and forth for leaderboard supremacy of that particular week. :cool: Tonnes of fun!!!

Cheers

The Gr.3 Beetle. Like most of the group's mentioned, it's a bit of a weird one as far as Gr.3 cars go. No base model, it looks rather out of place, the numbers were plucked from a rallycross car, you do wonder why PD went for this one!

Don't get me wrong, it drives well! I had a blast on Tuesday night, but it's just not me. That interior is also laughable, the gauges look more like something you'd see in a kart racer than an FIA Gran Turismo Championship car. :crazy:

I think we can all agree it was okay for a race car, just maybe not up to Gr.3 expectations. Prior to getting GT Sport I was always given the impression it was the overpowered, god-like dominator. Must have been nerfed since then.

Anyways, forget that bug. It's a new week! And @Racer283 is away at the moment, so I'll announce it this week. We're headed back to America courtesy of @MidFieldMaven!!!
Now, as everyone knows, everything is bigger in America! People, Food, 24 Hours Of Lemons events. And in the case of this monstrosity, engines!

maxresdefault.jpg

It's the 2013 Dodge Viper GTS!!!!

Packing 8.4L of pure tyre shredding goodness, this no compromises super car is doubtlessly quick in a straight line, the only question is will it turn corners, or will it spear off into the wall at 120mph when all you tried to do was stay on the black stuff round Les Combes? I guess we'll soon find out!!

As always, awesome liveries are encouraged mandatory ;) See you Tuesday!

Yes, yes it was... I had a pretty decent tune on her in GT6, and ya, she rocked!

A visual comparison of the Countach... the GT6 version:

70Z2MEk.jpg

And the GT Sport version ( along with the 25th Anniversary):

iGZEBDX.jpg

Cheers

I miss GT2 for it's car selection. I think we could all use a couple hundred more in this game, at least that's my hope. I feel like it's a "get lucky" situation with this game and cars will be limited.

Even so, the 1991 GTO Twin Turbo inclusion - yes I know what people say but it's pretty fast stock, I don't agree with the general consensus and would honestly place the 1989 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo slowest in acceleration...the VR4s 4th gear is a slog, but I dragged the S2000 in 4th and was surprised that the VR4 beat the S2K in 4th gear, the S2000 makes the 300ZX look like a slug in comparisons.
Top speed is 176mph downhill until level out on SSX, highly impressive considering 5th is a REAL slog.

Anyways, I'm back home from a trip with my fiancee and his family, I had a great time.
Glad to be back on the forum! I missed some great posts while gone.

Did a 07.20.606 with it on the Nordschleife. With the updates and my new wheel I could do even better, but it's still a nice time I guess.

Very fast and fun. Easy to drift. Fantastic car. Verdict: sleeping but dangerous snake.

Im in love with your Nordschleife reviews. Please keep doing them every week! The video makes all the difference - i can watch what you did and try and replicate it for a good time. Your uploads are one of my favorite things about COTW!

I miss the wing as well! I got lucky and got one for free, same with my Viper. I actually prefer the 1985 Countach as it was the fastest stock Countach, but the outside is either grossly overdone or so overdone it's amazing - I fall into the later category :)

@90sEnthusiast My friend, you really must stop double posting. :lol: Please use the EDIT button. I don't want you to get into too much trouble with the mods. :scared:

Thx for the kind words by the day. :cheers:

I really really need to stop the double posts. Its like I don't even think i just post. I need to take a second to slow down! It's the stupid Italian in me, we talk too much as a culture, always overriding sentances. Drives my fiancee nuts!

My Anaconda Don’t
A mildly serious review of the Viper GTS by MrWaflz55.

90AD6467-E84B-434B-8F29-61454AA4B6D8.jpeg

So, the Viper GTS. What’s there to say that hasn’t already been said? This one’s already had its celebration of life. Yeah, you heard me, it’s dead and I know what killed it.

The Viper was as brutish as a modern car could get back in 2013. Packing over 600 horses in a humongous V10 that would literally melt the paint off the bodywork. While the C7 Corvette really upped the game in terms of affordable on-track performance and build quality, the Viper was too much of a barbarian and couldn’t be tamed. Instead, it preferred to continue being the best AC Cobra revival band in town. Just like all those impersonation bands, the Viper itself is old to the bones.

I don’t think any car built within the last 10 years comes close to being as old-school as the SRT Viper is in the handling department. You better be light on that throttle because it’s oversteer city up in here once you cut the traction control. This car isn’t forgiving and it can be frustrating during a tight race. Couple that with comparably weak brakes and mid-corner adjustments are all but rare.

9EFC0FE9-FC03-49C6-B20F-5442A1985FE2.jpeg

So yeah, I went and decided to try something else that wasn’t a Viper because I’m a firm believer that it’s not a car you pick if you want to win races. So I strapped into the Fezza and won a race to prove my point. (Masterful driving from @Vic Reign93 keeping that Viper under control and within a second at all times though.)

Yeah, by all accounts the Ferrari is a much better car to drive even with increased weight to match the Viper in the lobby. Better cornering, better brakes, it’s much more forgiving. Doubly so for any Porsche in the game. Like I said, you don’t expect the class clown to ace an exam.

So you may expect me to give the Viper a beater rating as my scathing review has lead you to believe so far...

...you’re right. It’s a total beater, but not in a negative way.

In a world where the Corvette became more sensible, then became a mid-engine car for cranking out lap times, and every other car company seems to be concerned with Nurburgring runs and making cars faster and easier around tracks, the Viper harkens back to an era that’s being forgotten in the modern car world.

The Viper didn’t use hybrid-electric-turbo KERS drivetrains paired to a measly five-cylinder engine for its performance, it did it through an incredibly loud and wasteful V10 engine. The Viper captures something that is rapidly vanishing in the automotive world, and that something is pure fun. It’s not supposed to be fast around the track, it’s supposed to do doughnuts and huge burnouts and make you laugh the entire time you’re driving it. That’s the true Raison D’Etre of the Viper GTS.

So the Viper was able to capture that old-school fun of American hot rods in a modern package, and unfortunately it died in pursuit of that goal. For that reason, I pay my respects to the mighty Viper.

My Anaconda Don’t
A mildly serious review of the Viper GTS by MrWaflz55.

View attachment 865239

So, the Viper GTS. What’s there to say that hasn’t already been said? This one’s already had its celebration of life. Yeah, you heard me, it’s dead and I know what killed it.

The Viper was as brutish as a modern car could get back in 2013. Packing over 600 horses in a humongous V10 that would literally melt the paint off the bodywork. While the C7 Corvette really upped the game in terms of affordable on-track performance and build quality, the Viper was too much of a barbarian and couldn’t be tamed. Instead, it preferred to continue being the best AC Cobra revival band in town. Just like all those impersonation bands, the Viper itself is old to the bones.

I don’t think any car built within the last 10 years comes close to being as old-school as the SRT Viper is in the handling department. You better be light on that throttle because it’s oversteer city up in here once you cut the traction control. This car isn’t forgiving and it can be frustrating during a tight race. Couple that with comparably weak brakes and mid-corner adjustments are all but rare.

View attachment 865240

So yeah, I went and decided to try something else that wasn’t a Viper because I’m a firm believer that it’s not a car you pick if you want to win races. So I strapped into the Fezza and won a race to prove my point. (Masterful driving from @Vic Reign93 keeping that Viper under control and within a second at all times though.)

Yeah, by all accounts the Ferrari is a much better car to drive even with increased weight to match the Viper in the lobby. Better cornering, better brakes, it’s much more forgiving. Doubly so for any Porsche in the game. Like I said, you don’t expect the class clown to ace an exam.

So you may expect me to give the Viper a beater rating as my scathing review has lead you to believe so far...

...you’re right. It’s a total beater, but not in a negative way.

In a world where the Corvette became more sensible, then became a mid-engine car for cranking out lap times, and every other car company seems to be concerned with Nurburgring runs and making cars faster and easier around tracks, the Viper harkens back to an era that’s being forgotten in the modern car world.

The Viper didn’t use hybrid-electric-turbo KERS drivetrains paired to a measly five-cylinder engine for its performance, it did it through an incredibly loud and wasteful V10 engine. The Viper captures something that is rapidly vanishing in the automotive world, and that something is pure fun. It’s not supposed to be fast around the track, it’s supposed to do doughnuts and huge burnouts and make you laugh the entire time you’re driving it. That’s the true Raison D’Etre of the Viper GTS.

So the Viper was able to capture that old-school fun of American hot rods in a modern package, and unfortunately it died in pursuit of that goal. For that reason, I pay my respects to the mighty Viper.

On fast tracks the Viper is barely slower than the 458 Italia, actually it really isn't much slower on slow tracks either, which is a testament of its greatness. Also, I really think it is not much more difficult to move at the limit.

Love this car.

On fast tracks the Viper is barely slower than the 458 Italia, actually it really isn't much slower on slow tracks either, which is a testament of its greatness. Also, I really think it is not much more difficult to move at the limit.

Love this car.

I'll be the first to admit that many of the "reviews" I write on this website in relation to digital automobiles are incredibly hyperbolic and played for drama and entertainment over being actual, credible reviews. I hope you all read them as such and enjoy the bombastic perspective I try to bring.

The fact that I held the Ferrari way higher than the Viper in my review is because I've literally never driven the road Viper in the game before last night's races, while I've clocked thousands of clicks in my 458, which is my favourite car ever made in real life. Many people in this thread know, (and by my user tag on GTP too), that I'm an incredible Ferrari shill and I tried to play up that very real bias in my review.

I remember a short-lived review series I made in GT6 (link in my bio) where I wrote a post about the McLaren 12C, which is a technically very impressive car and better than the 458. There too I completely discredited the 12C and played up the strengths of the Ferrari.

Last edited:
Viper is an underrated gem in the N Class. Here’s an N800 BoP shootout at Spa to prove it:

View attachment 865492

And its rivals are BoP’d too. ;)
I guess that probably comes down with each person's driving style, but I don't think Laferari, Enzo and GT3 RS are slower. What tyres did you use? I might test it too.
Edit: Viper was easier to get on power and I it also had better BoP in this category. However, Laferari had just faster cornering speed, better braking and faster shifting. Making it about 1 second faster.

Last edited:
I actually think the final generation Viper handles the best. In bone stock trim, I managed to squeeze out lap times a hair under 1:00 at Tsukuba. It's in the same company as GT-R NISMO, 458 Italia, MP4-12C, F40, 650S and Aventador. Not quite a sleeper, as everyone knows it's a beast, but it outhandles and outpowers cars 2-3x it's price.

Back