Car of the Week 228: COTY GTS Finale

• Thread starter Racer283
  • 3,110 comments
What a great little car. I don't care at all for that "big mouth bass" grille, but it drives so good that I can get over it. While it does most things well on SH tires, it really comes alive on SS. Laying down the power on corner exit can induce some wheelspin but it's manageable. I found it to be one of the few cars I can fling around and not be concerned over what it's going to do, just let "muscle memory" take over.

I feel completely opposite about this car. Not because of the car itself but because how PD categorized it. It basically ruined any N-Class racing near it's class. It's a concept race car and not a street car and doesn't belong with normal road cars.

I feel differently. Since its not Gr.4, if PD had classified it in GRX it would have meant it could only race against itself in arcade and might not have been competitive with the VGT cars in career mode. I maxed the power at N400 and took away weight, and have used it in custom races against Gr.4 to do grinding for credits. I think it might even be able to beat Gr.3 with a serious tune up.

But heck, I had made up my mind as soon as I saw it. Great choice this week @Baron Blitz Red !

7421954189227492356_0.jpg

What a great little car. I don't care at all for that "big mouth bass" grille, but it drives so good that I can get over it. While it does most things well on SH tires, it really comes alive on SS. Laying down the power on corner exit can induce some wheelspin but it's manageable. I found it to be one of the few cars I can fling around and not be concerned over what it's going to do, just let "muscle memory" take over.

I feel differently. Since its not Gr.4, if PD had classified it in GRX it would have meant it could only race against itself in arcade and might not have been competitive with the VGT cars in career mode. I maxed the power at N400 and took away weight, and have used it in custom races against Gr.4 to do grinding for credits. I think it might even be able to beat Gr.3 with a serious tune up.

But heck, I had made up my mind as soon as I saw it. Great choice this week @Baron Blitz Red !

7421954189227492356_0.jpg

That's a good photo of your car.. I like it.

The Toyota S-FR Racing Concept is a pretty decent car and can be fun to race around with but like most have said that when it's on SH tires it understeers like crazy but once its fitted with SS tires it was more balanced. I'd say it's one of those cars you can hold onto and bring out every once in a while for the fun of it.

Now onto the next car in the Car of the Week Series. This car will mark the first VGT to be tested in the series and it was chosen by @Infineon.

Iv never drove it, but im curious to see how this car handles. Stat wise, this car looks like it could be a N600-N700 but it is a GR.X. Let's find out why.

Fittipaldi EF7 VGT
View attachment 767797

i1bAPRNzCJHJYb.jpg

This car is great to drive however it is a tad underpowered for Group X. I believe it only has about 600hp so it gets clobbered by most other higher powered Group X cars.

Yes it should be n600. I think even a middling supercar like a mildly upgraded 458 road car would give it trouble.

This car is great to drive however it is a tad underpowered for Group X. I believe it only has about 600hp so it gets clobbered by most other higher powered Group X cars.

Yes it should be n600. I think even a middling supercar like a mildly upgraded 458 road car would give it trouble.

Vgt cars never belongs to n class.

The problem with blanket statements like that is that the EF7 actually exists and runs and is for sale...

64_pininfarina_ef7.jpg

There's the man himself and his car.

Its as real a car as the 458.

So if a car like that is actually purchasable in real life then why wouldnt it be in N class with all the other cars you can also buy in real life.

I do get ya... I dont want Chaparral 2x laser cars in N class but there are exceptions.

As there is a scheduled maintenance/update tonight, should we delay race night by a day or so???

Cheers

I think it would be best to delay the races till tomorrow. Also I might need someone to cover the hosting tomorrow as I have an event and not sure what time I would be home from it.

What a great batch of races last night. @Infineon and I had some intensely close races, swapping for the lead multiple times. We each ended up with 2 wins, the margin of victory being less that .100 at Red Bull Ring. Then we got to the last race, at Yamigawa, where @Racer283 bested us both. Ran away from us is more like it.

@Infineon got a lap time at Red Bull Ring that was faster than my Gr.3 times there. So the car definitely isn't a beater. It's just so hampered by PD's decision to not give it adjustable settings. Staggering tires with softer on the rear helps deal with the stock LSD, but it's limited to 185-ish mph which really makes it unsuitable for longer tracks.

Verdict: well, what's in between beater and sleeper? A bleeper? This car is fun!

A pic of my Anime-Emo.

7278389856276841996_0.jpg

I had a blast in this week's COTW race. All great close races except the last race, @Racer283 left me and @Draggon in the dust. Great win!
Car handles great. My only complaint is the ground clearance. At Monza, while driving thru a turn (right after 2nd chicane) I ran over a cone and the car went airborne in the sand trap. Iv had several cars jump a little, but this was a first for me LoL. Car has my Sleeper vote.

livery created by freakinwolfie
6989618518413018137_23.jpg

What a great batch of races last night. @Infineon and I had some intensely close races, swapping for the lead multiple times. We each ended up with 2 wins, the margin of victory being less that .100 at Red Bull Ring. Then we got to the last race, at Yamigawa, where @Racer283 bested us both. Ran away from us is more like it.

@Infineon got a lap time at Red Bull Ring that was faster than my Gr.3 times there. So the car definitely isn't a beater. It's just so hampered by PD's decision to not give it adjustable settings. Staggering tires with softer on the rear helps deal with the stock LSD, but it's limited to 185-ish mph which really makes it unsuitable for longer tracks.

Verdict: well, what's in between beater and sleeper? A bleeper? This car is fun!

A pic of my Anime-Emo.

7278389856276841996_0.jpg

I had a blast in this week's COTW race. All great close races except the last race, @Racer283 left me and @Draggon in the dust. Great win!
Car handles great. My only complaint is the ground clearance. At Monza, while driving thru a turn (right after 2nd chicane) I ran over a cone and the car went airborne in the sand trap. Iv had several cars jump a little, but this was a first for me LoL. Car has my Sleeper vote.

livery created by freakinwolfie
View attachment 769136

Wish I could've been there. Wednesday night's just don't work for me anymore and our Tuesday night got canceled because of the update.

The Fittipaldi EF7 is fairly decent car and we all had some great races on Wednesday after the update though it was a smaller group than a few weeks ago. Give me suggestions if you would rather have the COTW race held on a Monday before an update or Wednesday after an update.

Now for the next COTW car, this manufacturer is brand new to game but has been requested for the longest time but this car was hidden in the coding in GT3 and the only way to receive the car was by gameshark codes. Without further ado, please welcome Porsche 911 GT3 996.

porsche-996-gt3-2004-yellow.jpg

As a real life owner of a type r FK8. I have to say I am glad PD patch the fk2 god awful understeer. Now it feels a lot closer to the real thing. Although the FK8 has superior handling and power delivery compared to the fk2.

Any chance PD will add the fk8 to the game?

Any chance PD will add the fk8 to the game?

About as likely as seeing the EK9 make an appearance, I'm afraid...And when did PD patch the FK2?

At Suzuka East Circuit, the 996 is capable of 56 seconds on Sport Hard tires. That's Audi R8 territory.
At Tsukuba, it easily completes laps in the low 1:03 range. Enough to give the Camaro SS, Lexus RC F, and Aston Martin V8 Vantage S a run for their money.

The 996 is probably the best car for usability in the last update. N300-500?

I feels a lot less stable than the 997 and up but its a pretty predicatable handler.

For me it is, this and the RX-500.

The 996 is probably the best car for usability in the last update. N300-500?

I feels a lot less stable than the 997 and up but its a pretty predicatable handler.
I second that! No doubt that rear wing on the 997 helps tremendously.
However, I find the 996 brakes better. Oh, don't get me wrong. The 997 does it all. Still, the 996 is phenomenal, when scrubbing speed.

I feel like I've been spolit by all the 911 GT2s and that sort in Forza... there are so many and they are all too capable as they are all pretty new models (ie. 2010+) so you get that current 991 stable as a rock handling and the brakes are all carbon 8 piston overkill.

You drop it late and it sticks your eyeballs back into your head.

Now in GT SPort, we all know the brakes on many cars are inadequate so while the 996 has poorer brakes in comparison they are still 4 piston giant Brembos so they do brake very very well, just not current levels.

The 996 is just too good but it feels like the driver is still the boss given there's stuff all electronic aids. Great car. Kaz is right to keep his.

On Sports:Soft tires with some minor stiffening to the suspension, the 996 GT3 is an absolute dream. It's responsive and predictable, the kind of handling that I was expecting out of the newer 991 GT3 RS, which in turn handles more like a traditional 911. Haven't tried a fully upgraded setup yet but I have expended the necessary mileage points for it.

I have to say the 996 is a great car. Just doesn't mesh well with my driving style. Neutral for me.

After the Ruf's extreme tail happy behavior in GT6 I wasn't pleased to see two Porsches in this month's dlc. Boy was I wrong. This was the first car I purchased after the update and I'm glad I did. I put 300 miles on it because I just couldn't stop. Granted, on SH it has a tendency towards understeer, and will plow straight off past a turn if you brake too late, but those a minor issues compared to how well it does everything else. It's even better on SS tires. With a tune up it really gets better!

Great races Tuesday too. @JackRyanWMU showed all of us the way around Dragon Trail Seaside with his Ford GT. Now that car is a sleeper. I was driving 11/10ths trying to catch up, and when I did, I'd used up all my talent and visited the wall. Meanwhile, Jack just motored away for the win.

Hard to categorize this one, it's for certain no beater, but compared to that Ford it's not a sleeper. I'll just call it a winner.

7277825798960054804_0.jpg

The 996 is definitely a fun car to drive, and it made me realize that I am too spoiled by the 991 GT3 RS’ magical handling. It teaches one how to handle a basic RR chassis. The 997 does the same, but leaning more on the understeer as opposed to the 996’s oversteer tendencies. The 996 also gave me this “project car” feel (because of the current trend of used 911s where 996 models are all of the rage) and it can be tuned from N300 up until N500 while giving juicy bonuses for most races (especially the Premium Sports Lounge events).

Definitely this car will get love from me.

Back