Car of the Week 228: COTY GTS Finale

• Thread starter Racer283
  • 3,110 comments
I love this gen as well. The clean lines are appealing and the handling, thought not amazing, IS amazing for 1988. Glad your enjoying it!

Last edited:
That chicane is a bitch. Nice runs! Some of the livery is crazy impressive. I love these uploads. And thanks, I like it as well! But you really know how to drive! Don't think I could hang lol

Last edited:
Nice message on the front of your Camaro @Nismonath5 :lol:
Just letting him know I'm there :sly:

I had one lined up for the rear too, on the off chance I got ahead :lol:

PS_Messages_20191019_201516.jpg

The Camaro ZL1 1LE is a beater. And I absolutely love it! The thing is, the Chevrolet Camaro is impossible to stack against most other cars. Its not meant to be. The Camaro is just its own thing in its own league. The ZL1 is no exeption. Without a question or second look, it is the craziest Camaro compared to all other Camaros. But that is all you can compare it to. Like we saw when the tire compounds get softer, it simply doesn't work like anything else in the game or possibly in the world. Shame its being axed after this generation...

https://flic.kr/p/2hyyf5m

I gave it a sleeper status, but I agree with alot of what you said, solid review! There really isn't anything to compare it to! It's certainly very fast and is by far the best handling Camaro I've ever driven, but that's me.

The guy I sold my '96 Mitsubishi 3000GT VR-4 to had 3 F bodies - a red 2002 Camaro SS LS1 6 speed (low miles, BPU, he ended up modding it to over 500@whp), a black '97 Camaro SS LS1 auto (stock with upgraded sound system) and a '95 Firebird Formula LT1 vert 5 speed. He also had an honest to God '67 Plymouth Road Runner, but he never drove it. It was sick.
Anyways, he begged me for that VR4 after I gave him a spirited drive - simple downshift to 3rd to 2nd (slams you into your seat) and then floored it to 110mph. I didn't even show him the launch.He starts freaking out saying how it's faster than his Camaros, he had no idea how fast it was, blah blah. The VR4 isn't faster than an LS1 SS Camaro, it just feels like it, it's close from a dig where the VR4 can win but from a roll they walk us. They trap high, 105-107mph, VR4 is usually 102-104mph.

I ended up getting so high on Valium and Butalbital that I sold it to him because he wouldn't stop begging for it :( mother****er took advantage of me, he knew I was blacked out. Truly awful.
Sorry for the stupid story, I had to get it out.

Last edited:
I gave it a sleeper status, but I agree with alot of what you said, solid review! There really isn't anything to compare it to! It's certainly very fast and is by far the best handling Camaro I've ever driven, but that's me.

The guy I sold my '96 Mitsubishi 3000GT VR-4 to had 3 F bodies - a red 2002 77Camaro SS LS1 6 speed (low miles, BPU, he ended up modding it to over 500@whp), a black '97 Camaro SS LS1 auto (stock with upgraded sound system) and a '95 Firebird Formula LT1 vert 5 speed. He also had an honest to God '67 Plymouth Road Runner, but he never drove it. It was sick.
Anyways, he begged me for that VR4 after I gave him a spirited drive - simple downshift to 3rd to 2nd (slams you into your seat) and then floored it to 110mph. I didn't even show him the launch.He starts freaking out saying how it's faster than his Camaros, he had no idea how fast it was, blah blah. The VR4 isn't faster than an LS1 SS Camaro, it just feels like it, it's close from a dig where the VR4 can win but from a roll they walk us. They trap high, 105-107mph, VR4 is usually 102-104mph.

I ended up getting so high on Valium and Butalbital that I sold it to him because he wouldn't stop begging for it :( mother****er took advantage of me, he knew I was blacked out. Truly awful.
Sorry for the stupid story, I had to get it out.
Rotten. But I can imagine how he ended up with a lot of the nice cars he had :lol: Good story, hope the dude paid through the nose for your 3000GT

I ended up getting so high on Valium and Butalbital that I sold it to him
:(

Wow, the old song lyrics "livin' on reds, vitamin C, and cocaine" has got nothing on you brother :P

I ran some time trials at Suzuka East to compare all 3 Supras, setting the weight and power for the newer cars as close to the '88 model as possible. The '88 and '97 had lap times within .2 seconds of each other, however the '88 was far more agile than the '97, which felt like driving a bloated pic. As semi-expected, the GR Supra was the quickest by just under 1.5 seconds.

I vote sleeper on this one. It sure made the next generation look bad. Pointless comparing it to the GR Supra since it's three decades newer.

@Soyuz 77 - thank you man, means alot. Luckily I had alot of good years with that VR-4. At the time I was dating someone 64 miles away ONE way, and I used to get there in 35 mins (I'd always see him at night).
Unfortunately that asshole paid nothing since I figured I needed a fuel efficient car and bought an '05 Civic EX manual - engine block cracked on me after 3 months, car was DONE / totalled, no joke. Soured me on Honda's bad, it was my first and last (I want a Prelude badly, after I import a 94 or 95 GTO MR from Japan).

I fell in love with that VR-4 but I'm not a fanboy, it wasn't perfect. Disconnected, numb steering, nose heavy and too heavy to take tight corners, great on long sweepers - they got the handling down mostly right in GTS. Interior quality was awesome for a Mitsubishi, take that as you will. Leather quality was pretty high, driver's seat had 8 electronic buttons.
The car was really meant to travel long distances in all weather at high speeds, it was a true GT, hence the weight. Mine was a 1996 so it didn't have the adjustable suspension (comfort and sport, sport lowered the car alot and firmed the suspension) or tuneable exhaust (on low setting it cuts power so the sound is lower and won't wake your neighbors).
I DID have Active Aereo, the spoiler thats on the GTO in Sport, and it made a big difference. I left it off unless I was going over 100mph - it would lower the car and it felt like a vacuum, like the car was sucking up the road, 140 felt like 80.
What it did well was go in a straight line, I was shocked with the 13.3 ET i got bone stock the first time at the strip. It really does make a 300ZX Twin Turbo feel slow (owned one briefly). The launch is like getting rear ended, if you launch at 5.5k+RPM it goes so hard the E break flies up. It feels much different than a launch in an STI or EVO, honestly it felt faster due to the higher torque of the VR4 (the EVO has the superior acceleration up til about 100mph where the VR4 will walk it).

All in all a joy to own, mine had 103k but immaculate service records, I had only minor issues - reverse went out due to an idiot valet, $200, valve cover gaskets, $350, some other small stuff. Not for everyone - it wasn't as well balanced or timeless as the 300ZX Twin Turbo, not as fast as the Supra Twin Turbo, nowhere near as sporty or well handling as the FD3 RX-7 Twin Turbo. If you want a fast, heavy Japanese touring car that can be playful at times, it's the one for you.
*That's my review for the week* ;)

Last edited:
@Draggon - Awesome review, love that you compared all three. I really like the A70 as well, it's probably my favorite gen of Supra. Agreed that the 90s Supra handles like a pig.

Hahaha, great song! And yeah, I did too many damn drugs, especially barbiturates, when i was younger and stupider. Funnily enough Seconal is my drug of choice, I had a dirty doc that would script me some once in awhile (yep, believe it or not, it's still on the market). One time I found an old bottle from the 60s called Seconal Pulvules that had 54.5mg of Seconal Sodium and 25.5mg Ephedrine Salt...I lost a whole week, and while trying to walk to the Uber for a court date (!) I fell into a bush and couldn't get out for what felt like hours until my neighbor found me and helped me out. Not a proud moment.

This was my baby - https://s1372.photobucket.com/user/gldstdgrooms/library?page=1

**** sorry for the triple post, my bad, i don't even mean to and then I can't delete them.

You can always edit the same post more than once.

Also to clear up what Sleeper and Beater means for the group. Sleeper is a car that you didn't expect to perform like it should but after testing it, you find it far exceeds your expectations. Where as the Beater is a car where you thought it live up to the brands name but doesn't perform like it should or against other cars in it's territory.

@Racer283-
You can always edit the same post more than once.

I need to heed this advice, thank you. I'm the worst with double posts. Also, thanks for clearing sleeper/beater up for me - I actually didn't know that's what it was (big surprise).

I have to give the 1988 Toyota 3.0 GT a sleeper status due to the clean lines and awesome handling test that @Draggon displayed by testing 3 generations. My only gripe is the acceleration, which is the worst of the classic JDMs. I'm sure better rubber would fix that.

I'm also going to have to give the 1991 GTO Twin Turbo a sleeper status (I know, I know). I've spent a ton of time with it on the Nurburing and drive it daily, and it's actually quite fast until 4th. Stock to stock it will walk almost any other JDM car until 80mph, not great, but even if you give the 300ZX Twin Turbo a head start (both stock) the Z can't pass the GTO until over 120mph, around 122mph. That is impressive considering its weight. Stock it shines on ovals and tracks that dont have super tight turns, and you're always the first to get out of a turn due to the AWD and 306lb.ft torque that peaks at 2,500 RPM. Its even better if you mod it to emulate a second gen car - I put the same exact gearing on it as the 2G (I hate that you can't get a 6 speed in this game) and the same 320HP. I then gave the ZX 300HP, same gearing (so the USDM version) and raced them. The GTO gapped it until 150mph, just like in the old games, except no 6th gear so the ZX does eventually pass. Fully modded it can get a 9.8 in speed and 7.8 in acceleration. Change the ratios and you have one hell of a car, though i like it stock or 2G emulated.

Thanks again to everyone who read my stupid sob story and ridiculously long review. You guys are awesome.

I'm gonna have to agree with @Ddkklop - great sound, great looks but average performance. I'm gonna have to go with beater for this one.

However, it's honestly my favorite Ferrari in the game. It's one of my favorite, if not full on favorite, Ferraris in real life. Styling wise I think it's gorgeous and ahead of it's time. I like the more aggressive old school look it has over the newer, more curvy Ferraris. Some of the other Ferraris sound just a *bit* better, but to me the sound is sex.
Acceleration is decent, nothing more, and somewhat disappointing for a Ferrari, hence why I'm calling beater on this one. Handling is fun.
Like @Ddkklop said, it's just fun to drive. And imo one of the cooler cars in the game.

I'm Italian but not a huge Ferrari/Lambo/insert Italian brand here person (well obviously you guys know that, my name says it) which is sacrilegious for an Italian to say out loud - trust me, I had a family member cuss me out and we argued in Italian for hours, he said JDM cars were **** and Italian cars were the only ones worth having - but this is one Ferrari I'm proud that Italy made.

Last edited:
I've done a 07.51.930 with it on the Nordschleife. Not a world class time, but my wheel sucked (Thrustmaster T300? - do now have a T-GT=MUCH better) and it was before the physics update, which makes especially rear-wheel drive cars more easily driveable.

Certainly not the easiest car to move at the limit. Wouldn't consider it to be a truly bad car though. Thus, neither a beater, nor a sleeper=rather neutral.

I'm Italian but not a huge Ferrari/Lambo/insert Italian brand here person (well obviously you guys know that, my name says it) which is sacrilegious for an Italian to say out loud - trust me, I had a family member cuss me out and we argued in Italian for hours, he said JDM cars were **** and Italian cars were the only ones worth having - but this is one Ferrari I'm proud that Italy made.

You should show him this meme:

10449456_541379922628793_44004-5446c229cce3e.jpg

On a more serious note: My favourite cars are Italian. These include Ferrari, Lamborghini, Maserati, Pagani, Alfa Romeo and Lancia. The Diablo '90 model (with the wing) is my absolute favourite car of all time. I would legit pay 50 Euros just for it to be included in GT Sport.

Last edited:
@Alex p. -
Hahaha. Va bene, non è una cattiva
pensiero! (Very good, not a bad idea!)

The 1990 Diablo is one of my favorites in the game, and probably my favorite Italian car of all time. You have good taste. I drove an SV Diablo years ago, they go like a bat out of hell and the gated shifter is not for inexperienced drivers, I had trouble with it. But when I got it down, it was amazing. Probably the fastest car I've ever driven, and the sound was unforgettable, and I felt like the coolest person out there while driving it.
Brand wise I do have a slight thing for Alfa Romeos, especially the GT and Brera, and of course the Spyder.

Italian cars are beautiful, but suffer from poor reliability and the lesser brands sports cars aren't all that fast. I couldn't justify it over a 90s JDM car, but I can see why someone would. We also make the best sounding engines in the world which for some people is enough to justify the purchase.

My dream car is a Lotus Esprit V8 Twin-Turbo, which I could get for $50-$70k instead of well over $150k. The Esprit stock is faster than any 90s/most early 2000s Ferraris, and I could just chip it and have 500@whp; with a weight of 2800 lbs that's enough to run easy high 9s/low 10s in the 1/4 and yank all but the newest super exotics.

I love all cars, but the JDM bubble era cars won my heart.

Last edited:
Geez i’m a few months behind on my write ups, but given i’m currently on holiday in Cornwall and with nothing to occupy my time now’s a good time to get up to date on them. :lol:

The Porsche 919, the olympic sprinter to the Toyota’s or Audi’s marathon runners, quicker to V max, but has one of the lower top ends for Gr1, handling is on par with the other LMP1’s to boot. :) Sleeper 👍

Peugeot RCZ, not the greatest machine, but was ok all round, would take the Gr3 Road car for more versatility. Neutral.

The Ford GT in nostalgia drag was a straight line rocket, handles the extra power quite well through the turns.

Quite like how the hazard lights work too. :P Sleeper.

The Renault Clio V6, the spiritual successor to the Classic Renault 5 Turbo, take a normal front wheel drive hatchback, hop up the motor(or take one from a bigger car model.) drop it in behind the driver and make it rear wheel drive. :embarrassed:

Don’t forgot about widening the wheel arches for bigger tyres either. :sly:

Could be tail happy due to the layout and short wheelbase, but was decent to drive all round, sounded nice too. 👍 Sleeper.

Next up is the Honda Integra Type R, see the battle at Bathurst against @Nismonath5 for my thoughts on that, Next. :D

The Toyota S800 was an oddball as the minimum power limit meant it had over double its stock power, while retaining its stock weight of under 600kgs.

Quite a darty little machine and the power hike meant it accelerated hard despite the stock gearing limiting it to around 100mph, it never felt boring. :)

Sleeper it is. 👍

The Ferrari 458 Italia Gr4 is up next, this had close racing up and down the grid and good battles throughout the night.

How was it to drive? Take a normal 458, reign in some of its power, remove weight, add aero and some sticky tyres.

That all adds up to a fast, but surprisingly stable Gr4 machine. Neutral :)

Now it’s the turn of the Whaletail Porsche 911 Turbo and well... If you know me then you already what my verdict is. :sly::lol:

The Ford Raptor was another oddball, it’s gearing was too long, it weighed more than a glacier and had the aerodynamics of one too. :D

And yet it brought us great entertainment, even when we went Nascar Truck racing. ;)

Sleeper 👍

The Chevy Camaro Z28 was a pleasant surprise, had decent gearing, sounded nice and handled nice too.

As for the design I chose, let’s just say I got an up close and personal look at it about a month after we drove it. ;)

A6C07FDE-285F-4D9D-87DD-F18B6D130CEC.jpeg

(Taken at Donington Park at the 300th British GT race.)

Sleeper 👍

The BMW I3, I wanted to like it, but the lack of top speed and its tendencies to understeer under power, didn’t do it any favours, torque and acceleration were nice mind you and it was fun drifting it on a rain soaked Red Bull Ring. :D

Still a Beater mind you. 👎

Mercedes Benz AMG GTS, good for N Class events, but I prefer the Pace car with the fixed rear wing, GT3 version produced some good noises and some good battles. :P

Double Sleepers 👍👍

The Super Formula cars were just good at making great racing, it’s a toss up based on brand preference as they perform the same.

Sleeper 👍

It’s getting late over here so I’ll just breeze through the last few cars.

GTO TT, Yes
Atenza Gr3, Yes plus kudos to @MrWaflz55 for the design. 👍
GT By Citeron(s), yes and yes
Camaro 1LE, Yes
Supra 3.0 Turbo A, Yes
512BB, Yes and glad you were entertained by my handicap starts @RobboGTAddict :D

If i’m not mistaken i’m now up to date, till next time folks. :cheers:

Geez i’m a few months behind on my write ups, but given i’m currently on holiday in Cornwall and with nothing to occupy my time now’s a good time to get up to date on them. :lol:

The Porsche 919, the olympic sprinter to the Toyota’s or Audi’s marathon runners, quicker to V max, but has one of the lower top ends for Gr1, handling is on par with the other LMP1’s to boot. :) Sleeper 👍

Peugeot RCZ, not the greatest machine, but was ok all round, would take the Gr3 Road car for more versatility. Neutral.

The Ford GT in nostalgia drag was a straight line rocket, handles the extra power quite well through the turns.

Quite like how the hazard lights work too. :P Sleeper.

The Renault Clio V6, the spiritual successor to the Classic Renault 5 Turbo, take a normal front wheel drive hatchback, hop up the motor(or take one from a bigger car model.) drop it in behind the driver and make it rear wheel drive. :embarrassed:

Don’t forgot about widening the wheel arches for bigger tyres either. :sly:

Could be tail happy due to the layout and short wheelbase, but was decent to drive all round, sounded nice too. 👍 Sleeper.

Next up is the Honda Integra Type R, see the battle at Bathurst against @Nismonath5 for my thoughts on that, Next. :D

The Toyota S800 was an oddball as the minimum power limit meant it had over double its stock power, while retaining its stock weight of under 600kgs.

Quite a darty little machine and the power hike meant it accelerated hard despite the stock gearing limiting it to around 100mph, it never felt boring. :)

Sleeper it is. 👍

The Ferrari 458 Italia Gr4 is up next, this had close racing up and down the grid and good battles throughout the night.

How was it to drive? Take a normal 458, reign in some of its power, remove weight, add aero and some sticky tyres.

That all adds up to a fast, but surprisingly stable Gr4 machine. Neutral :)

Now it’s the turn of the Whaletail Porsche 911 Turbo and well... If you know me then you already what my verdict is. :sly::lol:

The Ford Raptor was another oddball, it’s gearing was too long, it weighed more than a glacier and had the aerodynamics of one too. :D

And yet it brought us great entertainment, even when we went Nascar Truck racing. ;)

Sleeper 👍

The Chevy Camaro Z28 was a pleasant surprise, had decent gearing, sounded nice and handled nice too.

As for the design I chose, let’s just say I got an up close and personal look at it about a month after we drove it. ;)

View attachment 860350
(Taken at Donington Park at the 300th British GT race.)

Sleeper 👍

The BMW I3, I wanted to like it, but the lack of top speed and its tendencies to understeer under power, didn’t do it any favours, torque and acceleration were nice mind you and it was fun drifting it on a rain soaked Red Bull Ring. :D

Still a Beater mind you. 👎

Mercedes Benz AMG GTS, good for N Class events, but I prefer the Pace car with the fixed rear wing, GT3 version produced some good noises and some good battles. :P

Double Sleepers 👍👍

The Super Formula cars were just good at making great racing, it’s a toss up based on brand preference as they perform the same.

Sleeper 👍

It’s getting late over here so I’ll just breeze through the last few cars.

GTO TT, Yes
Atenza Gr3, Yes plus kudos to @MrWaflz55 for the design. 👍
GT By Citeron(s), yes and yes
Camaro 1LE, Yes
Supra 3.0 Turbo A, Yes
512BB, Yes and glad you were entertained by my handicap starts @RobboGTAddict :D

If i’m not mistaken i’m now up to date, till next time folks. :cheers:

Thanks Vic! I'm Andrew btw. Love watching you in the videos!

Latest Posts

Back