Car of the Week 228: COTY GTS Finale

• Thread starter Racer283
  • 3,110 comments
Just a heads up guys, I'll be either late or most tonight entirely. I finish work at 6 and dont normally get home till 6:30. I'll high tail it home and hope to catch some action!!

Same. Flying solo on the closing shift. I'll try to be home & ready by 11p EST.

@Nismonath5 I swear I'm gonna get in the Raptor the moment you join and chase you down every race.
Long as you're willing to wait that long. I'm seriously looking forward to it!

I somehow thought @Racer283 had said he was pushing back the COTW start time an hour. So that would be 12:00am EST and not 11:00pm EST.
Maybe it was just a one time thing I don't remember. But I will be on between 11:30pm & 12:00am tonight.

Okay, I dont finish for another 45 minutes and will be probably another 30 coming home. :(

Don't wait up, but if you are all still racing by the time I'm home I'll definately join in!

I'm getting on now. Need to update a graphics driver, buy the 22B and get my PVR2 live.

Alright, time to summarize my thoughts on the 22b.

It's awesome.

It's honestly an incredibly easy car to learn off the bat and an incredibly quick car once you get the hang of it. The stability and cornering ability of it are phenomenal, although it lacks a little straight line speed.

Honestly, I want to call it a sleeper, but...

It's a 22b. Everyone knows what these things can do.

Neutral.

Shoutouts to everyone who put up with my Raptor antics, and shoutput to Nismo and BMW for that insane run at Windmill.

Hm alright my thoughts. Did a 8.03.1xx on the Nordschleife with it. Handling is great but it does lack some straight line speed as others have pointed out already. I definatly like it and love its looks. It was roughly 3 seconds slower than the newest Impreza model from the game on the Ring, so thats a pretty nice result I guess, considering its age.

Neutral.

Man, i just discovered that COTW was back... The old guys would know what this means... A new season of my Time Trial Reviews that i made back in the day on GT4... Except that now, We will have the ENTIRE lineup of cars. I'll give the Track i'll use next week.

Just realised guys, it's December... and we need a Car Of The Year for 2018!!!

Now, the interesting part is we've raced cars from both GT6 and GTS this year. Maybe tomorrow after work (if I remember) I'll go through the old GT6 thread and get a list of all the cars we raced in those months before we parted ways on the PS3, to refresh everyone's memory.

Afterwards, send through your votes (to racer I guess since he kind of runs the show now) and yeah, let's get a COTY for 2018!!

Sorry for the hastily scribbled post, I just realised this, and it's 1am. I have work tomorrow. Insomia's a prick of a thing.

PS_Messages_20181207_074414.jpg

Subaru Impreza 22B

I've never really been a fan of Subaru or understood the crazy fascination people have with them. I've also never been a fan of the styling but this one is the 2 door model so that helps it a lot. Now I know they have had great success with their rally cars but as for their all out street machines I don't know so let's just see how the 22B road car stacks up to the competition.

I have driven this car very little since its introduction into GTS so I will put it through my normal bone stock test in GT league and in our online racing to see how it performs.

This car really handles well on Sport Hard Tires and its very hard to get in trouble with it. Accidentally overdrive it and the 22B won't bite and will pull out of almost every situation you get yourself in.
After putting it through every GT League event its eligible for one thing really stands out.. it's weak on power and fails to catch or pass the rabbit in almost every race. Plain a simple it might handle good but there are much better options to grab in its class.

Online race night was a different story as the car was fun against other players. I had a very strong performance in the 22B battling for the lead every race on tarmac against a strong field of players. @Draggon and @RobboGTAddict were having great runs also.
Sadly the format changed and people wanted to race on dirt (honestly who races on dirt in GTS) it's so bad the creators won't even put it in Sport Mode. Anyway I quickly got knocked around like a pinball and all chances of continuing to have a good night were over.
This road car is not setup for offroad right out of the box and it doesn't take long to find that out.

In the end however this car really fits my driving style on the tarmac against others in a one make race and I can see why people would like to race it online.

The Subaru Impreza 22B is definitely a SLEEPER in my book.

PS_Messages_20181207_074417.jpg

Sadly the format changed and people wanted to race on dirt (honestly who races on dirt in GTS) it's so bad the creators won't even put it in Sport Mode.
You need more practice with dirt. It's a very, very different method of driving compared to the tarmac because you have to employ different technques and driving styles to execute the same type of lines you'd want on the road and dirt.
This road car is not setup for offroad right out of the box and it doesn't take long to find that out.
I strongly disagree. I thought it was stellar on the dirt. I feel like you may have overestimated the amount of grip the car has because of all of the tarmac racing leading up to the rally runs.

You need more practice with dirt. It's a very, very different method of driving compared to the tarmac because you have to employ different technques and driving styles to execute the same type of lines you'd want on the road and dirt.

I did a lot of dirt racing on GT6 but in GTS is more of an afterthought and very few people even do it but a lot of people complain about it.

In the year I've been playing I can count on one hand the number of times I see people posting about a race in the dirt so outside of the driving missions there has been little to no reason at even attempting it.
Even PD themselves don't promote it or give anyone the opportunity to race in dirt on Sport Mode. Same goes with drifting.

I strongly disagree. I thought it was stellar on the dirt. I feel like you may have overestimated the amount of grip the car has because of all of the tarmac racing leading up to the rally runs.

I thought the car took to big of hit coming off jumps making landing hard and would bottom out sending the car out of control. It made for a chaotic race mid pack on has everyone was out of control most of the time bouncing off everything and everyone.
And wasn't that you in the big black F-150 anyway :lol:

I thought the car took to big of hit coming off jumps making landing hard and would bottom out sending the car out of control.
I honestly didn't get any of that bottoming-out effect. Are you on DS4 or wheel?
And wasn't that you in the big black F-150 anyway :lol:
Yep, but at Windmills I switched back to the 22b and won the race starting from midpack:

I honestly didn't get any of that bottoming-out effect. Are you on DS4 or wheel?

Yep, but at Windmills I switched back to the 22b and won the race starting from midpack:

I'm on the DS4 for now. My TGT will be here after Xmas.
It's ok because your not the first person to disagree with my review. Everyone will have a different opinion sometimes. I definitely enjoyed it on the road courses while it lasted.

I'm on the DS4 for now. My TGT will be here after Xmas.
It's ok because your not the first person to disagree with my review. Everyone will have a different opinion sometimes. I definitely enjoyed it on the road courses while it lasted.
That's fair. I just didn't take well to the comments regarding dirt driving, to be honest.

The 22b was the first car I purchased after last month's update. The handling and amount of grip it has surprised me so much that I was certain PS had made a big change in the physics ( which proved false ). It's one of the few cars in the game that I did almost no tuning to, just a drop in weight and LSD adjustment. It's truly an amazing car. PD got this one just right.

As a testimony to the abilities of this car, racing was extremely close and competitive. I think everyone present got on the podium at least once. @JackRyanWMU, @Rinsky, and @Baron Blitz Red had some good battles on the various dirt venues, but as nice as this car was on dirt, I think it truly shines on pavement.

This is my favorite car right now. No way could I give it anything but a overwhelming verdict of Sleeper!

Compulsory liveries. I just had to make use of @RobboGTAddict 's decals.

8071089417827123220_0.jpg

8215200215911628828_0.jpg

qnL5f5k.jpg

Livery by Deano_The_Legend
This week we delve back into the Subaru Impreza's history, a time before such things as Monster Energy Drinks and "IMPOSSIBRUUU!!!!" Memes became synonymous with this car. While I view the Impreza vs. Evo rivalry with the kind of indifference I usually reserve for World Cup soccer, I must admit to quite liking the styling of this generation of Impreza. It's clean, it's simple, and still looks good 20 years later.

The real magic in the 22B isn't in its looks however, but in how it drives. The all-wheel drive system always keeps a comfortable safety net under the driver while at the same time making the car feel like it produces more power than it actually does. The only concern a driver needs to have with this car is its steering response; the car reacts immediately to any input at the wheel and it can result in feeling a little twitchy. Otherwise, the Impreza feels almost impossible to crash at times, shrugging off missed braking points or premature throttle applications with ease.

ojanPEA.jpg

Of course, no testing of this car would be complete without taking it off the asphalt and onto the dirt. The Impreza doesn't disappoint its rally pedigree at all here, feeling quite comfortable on even the driftiest of the corners. This car is quick, yet compliant enough that you'll look good driving it regardless whether your driving skills are like Colin McRae or James May. No question, the 22B is a winner and a Sleeper.

Just don't ask me to wear a flat-brimmed ball cap. Seriously, you look like a dork wearing one.

Last edited:
Back