Car of the Week 228: COTY GTS Finale

• Thread starter Racer283
  • 3,110 comments
Sorry I have not been racing online for COTW the past two weeks. Its just that time of year when I seems like I have very little free time.

Don't worry about not making it. I know on Tuesday there was only five of us because I got home late from a Christmas Party so we didn't start till 9:30 MST.

Also I want your thoughts for next Tuesday since it's Christmas Day.

A) We could cancel COTW because of Christmas Day and you can spend the night with your family and friends
B) We could move COTW to the following day of Wednesday, December 26

Don't worry about not making it. I know on Tuesday there was only five of us because I got home late from a Christmas Party so we didn't start till 9:30 MST.

Also I want your thoughts for next Tuesday since it's Christmas Day.

A) We could cancel COTW because of Christmas Day and you can spend the night with your family and friends
B) We could move COTW to the following day of Wednesday, December 26

I like option B because I have Xmas with family on both the 24th & 25th and would not be available for either of those days.

But I know others might be out of town so option A might be better for everyone.

Moving it to Wednesday means I'd miss most of it because of work, like I did with the 22B. :(

Not a lot of attendance this past week but...

That's not stopping us from having crazy moments.
Onto the short review.

The E30.
You know, I didn't really like this car. When it first came out, I didn't have a good time trying to drive it. After prepping for the races Tuesday night, it kind of clicked for me. The E30 is a very well-balanced car and reasonably quick for what it is, but with one downside.

It punishes you *hard* for the slightest stuff-up on the throttle and heaven forbid you break the rear loose. Other than that, it's a Sleeper. Awesome, but impractical if you aren't familiar with the idea of unloading steering as you're rolling back on the gas (something I'm sure Nathan has to deal with in his Hoonicorp Commodore).

It punishes you *hard* for the slightest stuff-up on the throttle and heaven forbid you break the rear loose. Other than that, it's a Sleeper. Awesome, but impractical if you aren't familiar with the idea of unloading steering as you're rolling back on the gas (something I'm sure Nathan has to deal with in his Hoonicorp Commodore).
It's not as bad as perhaps it could be, but it sure happens!

Did a 7.26.xxx stock with it on the Nordschleife. Well yeah it's quite tricky to drive fast, but does a reasonable job considering its age. All in all I did quite like it. To me it is a sleeper.

bFNLCtq.jpg

Livery by edd1eJ0RD4N
Not much really needs to be written for our latest COTW selection. The '89 BMW M3 has good looks, a decent amount of power, and very snappy handling. Literally its only downside is its price tag, as 200k is a bit ridiculous for this car. (Especially when you buy it and GUESS WHAT CAR YOU GET FOR YOUR VERY NEXT DAILY MILEAGE REWARD?!?!? OMFG I'M A FUGITIVE FROM THE LAW OF AVERAGES!!!) Otherwise, I have to call it not only a Sleeper but also Recommended as well.

BqEwdXr.jpg

Merry Christmas to All, and may Bandit Claus leave plenty of Coors under the trees of all you good little adult girls and boys.

sFMxcDL.jpg

Merry Christmas everyone! :cheers:

This sums up the BMW M3 quite well:
[QUOTE="Obelisk, post: 12582810, member: 261885"It punishes you *hard* for the slightest stuff-up on the throttle and heaven forbid you break the rear loose. [/QUOTE]

That being said, I like this car even though it is difficult to drive the way PD set it up. It's tendency to lose the back end surprised me when it was first released, but the update we had that changed the physics made the rear end even looser. I don't know if that is normal for older BMWs, the only one I've ever driven was a 700 which is rear engined and very tail-happy. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_700

The best solution to this problem is to stagger the tire compounds, SH front SM rear. This makes it a joy to drive. On the down side, its real hard to tune. One you add power, the weaknesses become more exaggerated. I found that it is very sensitive to camber, toe, and LSD settings. But if you get it just right, this thing is sweet. Plus, it can win the premium sports lounge at Maggiore. Probably Dragon Trail, too.

Verdict: Sleeper!

Pics of not-cotw racing action at Catalunya and posing on "The Road" just because.

4837508187600979456_0.jpg

8368261024702268932_0.jpg

Last week we went racing with BMW M3 Sport Evolution. When I first received the BMW M3 and tried it in one of the league events, I found that the back would step out. That first impression kinda gave me a bad taste for the car but now giving it a second chance it's quite an excellent car and an enjoyable one to drive. When it came to race day we had a small group pry because I got home late from a Christmas Party but still it put on a strong competition. I give the BMW M3 Sport Evolution a sleeper status.

Now onto this weeks car. We go from the mighty M3's to the Dodge's first supercar, please welcome the Dodge Viper GTS '02. The person that choose this weeks car is @05XR8.
7728_3191.jpg

Last week we went racing with BMW M3 Sport Evolution. When I first received the BMW M3 and tried it in one of the league events, I found that the back would step out. That first impression kinda gave me a bad taste for the car but now giving it a second chance it's quite an excellent car and an enjoyable one to drive. When it came to race day we had a small group pry because I got home late from a Christmas Party but still it put on a strong competition. I give the BMW M3 Sport Evolution a sleeper status.

Now onto this weeks car. We go from the mighty M3's to the Dodge's first supercar, please welcome the Dodge Viper GTS '02. The person that choose this weeks car is @05XR8.
7728_3191.jpg
So wait, are we racing tonight?

Not tonight since it's Christmas Day but tomorrow so Wednesday in the states and Thursday in your neck of the wood if I'm correct.
So I'll be late again cos of work :(
Oh well, I'll join in when I can!

So I'll be late again cos of work :(
Oh well, I'll join in when I can!

Sounds good. The reason we aren't racing tonight is, everyone is with family or friends on Christmas Day and with me I'm spending the night at my parents place which does not have a PS4.

Last edited:
Sounds good. The reason we aren't racing tonight is, everyone is with family or friends on Christmas Day and with me I'm spending the night at my parents place which we don't have the PS4 here.
Fair, I just wondered is all. :D

Dodge Viper GTS '02
7,997 cc
448 hp / 5,000 rpm
490 ft-lbs / 4,000 rpm
3,459 lbs (1,569 kg)

At Tsukuba on Sport Hard tires:

1:01.946 - Mazda Atenza Gr.3 Road Car
1:01.975 - Aston Martin DB11
1:01.986 - Ford Mustang Gr.3 Road Car
1:01.989 - Porsche 911 GT3 (997)
1:02.363 - Dodge Viper GTS
1:02.380 - Jaguar F-type R
1:02.466 - Chevrolet Corvette C7
1:02.562 - Dodge Charger SRT Hellcat
1:02.577 - BMW M4
1:02.621 - Audi R8 4.2
1:02.834 - Lamborghini Countach LP400

It's over 15 years old, but it can still keep up with brand new Corvettes, Hellcats, M4's and F-type R's. Love the Viper. Always prefer it over the Corvette and consider it the best car the USA has ever produced.

My pick came about, as I was looking for something different to use in Real Circuit Tours. Made a Camaro, C7, Maserati, RC F and E92. Compared to the cars I mentioned, the Viper is a featherweight. Out of the box, love this car. Detuned to 350hp/1569kg, Gr.4-type suspension setting and SM tyres, it is unshakable. Sticks like glue and even the stock transmission works lovely. If I find out when you all are racing, i'll see about hauling this to the track:

4683836055800022536_0.jpg

Dodge-Viper-GTS-R-126886.jpg

If I find out when you all are racing, i'll see about hauling this to the track

We are racing tonight at 10PM Central Standard Time. Our usual race day is Tuesday's at 10PM Central Standard Time. Feel free to add me on PSN so you can find the room easier. My game tag is Racer2833

We are racing tonight at 10PM Central Standard Time. Our usual race day is Tuesday's at 10PM Central Standard Time. Feel free to add me on PSN so you can find the room easier. My game tag is Racer2833
If some of you don't mind maybe sticking around a bit later than usual... I've quite missed running with you guys, and will get there asap after work. But would be good to get a solid few races in! :D

Edit: all is not lost!!! Turns out my workplace might finish two hours early today if it's quiet. Heres hoping!!

Last edited:
Oof! Forgot about this new server dedication. I'm one red bar at evey room but Oceania rooms. Couldn't even connect to the room. Anyway, all's good. I'll read about everyone's reviews as per normal.

I'm available if anyone wants to do a spot of extra racing tonight :D

In the Viper or maybe just some good old class racing. We had a blast in the Gr.4 last night!

I'm available if anyone wants to do a spot of extra racing tonight :D

In the Viper or maybe just some good old class racing. We had a blast in the Gr.4 last night!

Sorry I missed you. Somethings wrong with the lobby notifications, I routinely see the blue icon indicating friends are in lobbies, but sometimes the lobby screen doesn't show rooms with friends.

Back