Car of the Week 228: COTY GTS Finale

• Thread starter Racer283
  • 3,110 comments
Before I trade my keys in, here's my thoughts on the (930) 911 turbo.

For starters it's undoubtedly a Porsche. The shape is iconic as it ever has been. Maybe even more so than any version of the 911 as this design is known widely as the grandad or definitive 911. That being said, the bar to get into "Sleeper status" is set fairly high from the get go. After all, you would expect to be impressed by a famous German sports car. Although, sharing a design with naturally aspirated sister cars might be the turbo's saving grace here. It also doesn't make a big deal out of being turbo charged bar a few cosmetic changes, and a couple of badges that only sharp - eyed enthusiasts who give a damn would notice.

In a practice race against AI to get me back up to speed on Sim racing, the 930 turbo absolutely blitzed anything else in the same class on the straights of Alsace. I have to admit I liked the gear ratios as well. They never held me up, but at the same time it reminds you that it is still a road car. Being able to count on the brakes in an old sports car is a relief in itself. As a matter of fact, whatever situation couldn't be saved by the Porsche's brakes was easily rectified with a touch of lift off over steer. Which brings me to the handling.

Lacking care for much aerodynamic grip, sports cars from the 930's era were mostly delicate or terrifying to drive. This leans more towards the delicate side in my opinion, however, when used correctly the car's over steering tendencies start to feel playful in a really good way. Almost like a little bit of lap time is sacrificed to make it look and feel a bit more exciting. Doesn't seem very German but it is a fantastic feeling

Even if the bar was set high, the 930 turbo surprised me in almost every aspect of driving. It's a sleeper verdict from me. In fact, I might just hold onto the keys for this one a bit longer :D

Sorry I wasn't able to make it on race night. Now that my kid's are getting older( 2 years old & 9 month old) I don't have much free time anymore. So all that late night racing I once did has almost come to a complete end.

It was my pick and I feel bad about not being able to join in on Tuesday night.

Sorry I wasn't able to make it on race night. Now that my kid's are getting older( 2 years old & 9 month old) I don't have much free time anymore. So all that late night racing I once did has almost come to a complete end.

It was my pick and I feel bad about not being able to join in on Tuesday night.

Family come first before a video game but you are a part of the COTW Family, so you can join in whenever you have availability and still do reviews on the cars that you can't join us for the race. I try to include some of the members that can't join us on Tuesday in selecting the cars.

The Ford F150 surprised me last week. In a weird way I found it could be deceptively slow and surprisingly quick depending on the situation. Very much like a pickup truck in real life it can rev up without going as fast as you would expect for the noise. On the other hand once it got up to speed it handled really well and kept pace with sports cars at similar weight.

I'll give it a sleeper verdict, but it really should stick to one make races.

This week we are staying in the Windy City and bringing out the big blocks. This week we are testing out the Chevy Camaro Z28 '69. This weeks car was chosen by @Infineon.

65976591-770-0@2X.jpg

Did a 08.12.659 with it on the Nordschleife. Stock of course, as always. Much, much faster, than I expected it to be. Still quite a bit slower, than the mighty GT350 though. I really liked its handling characteristics and also really like the looks of it. Fun muscle car. Verdict: Neutral.

Can't wait for tomorrows COTW race :)

Did a 07.29.335 with it on the Nordschleife.
What an amazing car! Really fast and really fun to drive. Quite easy to move at the limit too.

Last edited:
Bit gutted about the connectivity issues tonight, I was enjoying that GT3 Merc. The road car suffers the usual flaws for a supercar. It's fast, but it's not track focused enough to let you get away with many heroics. The GT3 on the other hand, well, it appears there was a reason Mercedes won the New York round of the Manufacturers series! :lol:

Back