Car of the Week 228: COTY GTS Finale

• Thread starter Racer283
  • 3,110 comments
I just had to do something with those decals @RobboGTAddict.

7358903861016298012_0.jpg

That BMW M4 GT4 is so hot... shame there isnt a GT3 version as the GT3 stuff just gets more use and the M6 is such a tank. You do have the E92 version I guess.

7VHHZtP.jpg

Livery by AMG-6386
This car is literally anything except boring.

The Lamborghini Diablo is exactly what you think of when you think Lamborghini. Loud and vibrant styling that screams for nearby eyes to turn your way, an engine note that ranks among the best I've listened to, and slippery handling that requires a brave and steady hand when driven at the limits. The Diablo is truly a risk-reward exercise. The wise thing to do is to brake early and be cautious around the corners. Sure you could push it, but if you run out of talent the Diablo has no qualms about turning you into a passenger and heading off the asphalt.

KrMRI3C.jpg

If I had to run an N600 Level race right this moment, I wouldn't choose the Diablo. There are other supercars, such as the Ferrari 458, that are much easier to handle at their limits. The Diablo simply isn't a practical choice. But whoever bought a Lamborghini for practicality? This car has so much character that it's impossible for me to even consider it a Beater. It has such style and presence that you could get clocked at 180 by a state trooper and he'd at least give you a smile and a thumbs up before he tore up your driver's license. No need to throw the book at this car, it's an easy Neutral verdict.

Dancing With The Devil!!!!

Oh, it feels good to be back!

20181204093004.jpg

Just in case any of you on Tuesday were wondering...

At the beginning of the 90's, the Diablo replaced the Countach, and reinstated Lamborghini as the King of the supercar world. Found in early Need For Speed games, children's bedroom posters, or even in movies, the Diablo certainly got the exposure a "latest and greatest" supercar deserves! Personally I absolutely adore the Diablo, particularly the SV. I did look for those beautiful SV bodyside decals in the Discovery section prior to the Tuesday meet, but alas, t'was not to be.. Instead I figured I'd play with the livery editor, try to learn it a bit! :lol:

One of the things I admire about the Diablo is it's the last real Lamborghini. After the Diablo, Audi stepped in and made all future Lambo's AWD to increase handling, control, and thereby safety. Spoilsports!!! Can you imagine a RWD Aventador SV? :eek: That'd separate the men from the boys!

The Diablo's mission, like many other supercars of the 90's, is to crack that 200mph barrier. And unfortunately, that's sort of it's downfall. You see, it does hit 200mph, that's not a problem. It's just that the Lamborghini engineers were so set on 200mph that they kind of neglected the handling department.... A LOT. We saw it on Tuesday, everyone was off track at some point!

20181204094715.jpg
20181204094724.jpg
20181204094732.jpg

Some examples of the various off-road excursions on Tuesday

Acceleration-wise, it is a bit sluggish off the line but once you're moving, the acceleration is pretty good. Top speed is of course, very good, and handling is challenging, to say the least. It's the sort of car where you really need to break down your driving techniques. Brake in a straight line, get it turned in early, hit the apex and let it slide out wide upon exit. It sounds obvious, but even just remembering that process while racing can help a LOT. It also didn't help that this was my first COTW meet on the PS4, and really the Diablo's a heck of a car to learn the game in! :scared:

Granted, the handling's not bad, it's just raw, and you really need to keep that in mind when racing. It ain't called the Diablo for nothing, kiddo. Diablo means Devil and you'll feel like you really are dancing with the dark Prince himself when you try wrestle this thing around a circuit!
Random Trivia: Even the Spanish fighting bull the Diablo was named after was noted as being particularly feroucious.

Racing on Tuesday was simply a case of "Who can avoid the chaos in the mid-pack", as more often than not whoever got ahead and was free from trouble would continue on, pulling an incredible gap between themselves and the rest of the field. Bumps and bashes were common, and a lot of the time they resulted in wall hits. Somehow @Obelisk in his Raptor managed to keep his nose clean though, that was certainly a terrifying sight in the mirror!

20181204094749.jpg

Something's not quite right about this group.... Oh, I know! That guy's in a Huracan!!! That's what's different here! :D

20181204094759.jpg

My first race!!!!

Like @JackRyanWMU mentioned, it's not exactly the first choice when it comes to the N600 class. Or the second choice, for that matter. In fact, I'll wager that the Diablo is the car you choose only after you've aced everything and go back for an additional challenge! It's unsanitised, raw, and very, VERY dangerous. Tread with caution.

As for Beater or Sleeper, I'm calling this one neutral. It's not too bad it deserves Beater status, but it doesn't exactly excel in what it does either.

20181204094741.jpg

Oh, and Nismo's back, baby!!!
Ps: Where the heck's @Racer283 with the new car?

Of the Lamborghini family, the Diablo is one of my favorites besides the Huracan. I say it was a great choice by @Alpha Cipher for choosing the Diablo. Yes it does try to kill you on sports hard tires but it does make for a competitive car in the premium lounge on RS tires in GT League. As for the races last Tuesday, we almost had a full room of racers ranging from our regulars to newcomers. The Diablo created some close races and even an unexpected show of a Ford Raptor which could hang with the Diablo. Overall I give the Lamborghini Diablo a sleeper status.

Now we head from the king of the 90's supercar to the king of the dirt tracks. This week we will be driving the Subaru Impreza 22B. This weeks honor belongs to @Nismonath5 on his return to COTW. So now bring out your best Colin McRae livery's or dirt driving as we test the 22B.
1998-subaru-impreza-22b-sti.jpg

Note: That the update will happen tomorrow around our usually race time so we may move it to Wednesday.

Last edited:
Of the Lamborghini family, the Diablo is one of my favorites besides the Huracan. I say it was a great choice by @Alpha Cipher for choosing the Diablo. Yes it does try to kill you on sports hard tires but it does make for a competitive car in the premium lounge on RS tires in GT League. As for the races last Tuesday, we almost had a full room of racers ranging from our regulars to newcomers. The Diablo created some close races and even an unexpected show of a Ford Raptor which could hang with the Diablo. Overall I give the Lamborghini Diablo a sleeper status.

Now we head from the king of the 90's supercar to the king of the dirt tracks. This week we will be driving the Subaru Impreza 22B. This weeks honor belongs to @Nismonath5 on his return to COTW. So now bring out your best Collin McRae livery's or dirt driving as we test the 22B.
1998-subaru-impreza-22b-sti.jpg

Note: That the update will happen tomorrow around our usually race time so we may move it to Wednesday.
22bs are fantastic. I'll try to make it in this week.

Also do we want to use the Discord channel for communications during the races or the chat function in GTS?
Well the GTS Discord channel is up and running, plus my headset died. So my vote's for Discord

I bought a nice PS headset when I got my PS4 and because our races are late night in my time zone I always have my headset on anyway so I can hear better and don't wake the family up.

My vote is the PS chat.

Well the GTS Discord channel is up and running, plus my headset died. So my vote's for Discord

Well the PS4 came with a set of earphones, (at least mine did) or if you like any set of headphones that you would use with a cell phone would work. Just make sure it has the triple set of black bands on the plug end (jack) and you're laughing Nate!

Cheers

Well the PS4 came with a set of earphones, (at least mine did) or if you like any set of headphones that you would use with a cell phone would work. Just make sure it has the triple set of black bands on the plug end (jack) and you're laughing Nate!

Cheers
Ohhh yeah, still not used to the fact that my controller literally has a headphone jack. And my console did come with headphones. Guess we'll give that a crack tomorrow!

Thanks Baron!

I don't have wi-fi and my computer is at the opposite end of the house from my Playstation. So I vote for sticking with in-game chat.

Also, is it bad I'm considering putting RalliArt stickers on my car? :P

I don't have wi-fi and my computer is at the opposite end of the house from my Playstation. So I vote for sticking with in-game chat.

Also, is it bad I'm considering putting RalliArt stickers on my car? :P
As long as if you do, you go the whole way and put an Evo 4 ralliart livery on it.

The 22B is the best way you can spend $50,000.

I feel its like a more compact version of Nissan's motto "anyone anywhere anytime" for the Skyline GTR.

Its good at track drift or dirt. N300 to N500 it works. Dont bother changing the paint or wheels. Its perfect out of the box.

I dont even like Subarus.

I wish it had the GT6 centre diff where you could go 10:90 though.

I bought a nice PS headset when I got my PS4 and because our races are late night in my time zone I always have my headset on anyway so I can hear better and don't wake the family up.

My vote is the PS chat.
I'm in the same situation as Rinsky, gotta use a headset to hear the race. I vote PS4 party chat.

I dont think we'll get a meeting tonight, given the update is due to start in half an hour.

Back