Carbs, Trans Fats, Fatty Foods, Heart Disease - Wrong Again

• Thread starter Danoff
  • 125 comments
I think the key to eating healthy, is to eat as close to natural foods as possible. Preservatives and additives(all that stuff you can’t pronounce on the back of packages), are terrible for you.

Also, sugar is your enemy, especially added sugars. That stuff makes foods taste good, but it is poison for your body. I cut out a lot of sugar a few months ago. I quit drinking soda, cut out a lot of sugary snacks, and also quit drinking Gatorade(that stuffs not so great for you either). I have a really hot job, where I sweat a lot, it’s 125F+. I used to drink a Gatorade with my lunch, to rehydrate. Now I drink water and eat fruit, and feel so much better. I also started drinking a lot of Milk.

There’s also a lot of misleading information on packaging of foods too, a lot of foods that say they are healthy, really aren’t. There’s multiple websites where you can look up how healthy and certain brand name of food is(bread or cereal for example). There’s some brands of wheat bread, that is actually worse than white bread. Same with yogurt, some yogurts have a ton of added sugar. Make sure you do your research, and don’t just “think” your eating healthy, know what you are putting in your body.
It was really eye opening when I started to learn more about healthy eating and started reading food labels 15 years ago. It's amazing some of the things that are in some processed foods and how many calories they actually contain. I still enjoy natural sugars like honey and maple syrup but I broke the sweet food addiction a long time ago and I can now enjoy sweets here and there without gorging. Learning to make less sweet versions of the sweet stuff I really liked was a lot of fun as well and it's a bonus you can eat more of something when it has less calories:lol:

Sugar is something to keep an eye on but another one that is often overlooked are sodium levels. That can have severe consequences on your overall health. I've never had much of a sweet tooth but I've always been addicted to salt, cutting back on it has been terribly difficult. I've started using curry powder as a substitute sometimes for seasoning and though it's not tet same at least it seems like it's healthier.

Sugar is something to keep an eye on but another one that is often overlooked are sodium levels. That can have severe consequences on your overall health. I've never had much of a sweet tooth but I've always been addicted to salt, cutting back on it has been terribly difficult. I've started using curry powder as a substitute sometimes for seasoning and though it's not tet same at least it seems like it's healthier.
There was a picture of an old Taco Bell menu in the photos from history thread, and the menu featured the Bell Beefer--kind of a Sloppy Joe but with seasoned taco meat and hot sauce. I loved those things when I was younger, but I also had a bit of a salt addiction and while that meat in a taco didn't represent a particularly significant amount of sodium, the sheer quantity stuffed between two buns sure did. Just thinking about it now raises my blood pressure.

Oh and there's some fantastic stuff in curry powder, such as the turmeric and fenugreek, and even more if you use a hotter blend with cayenne and ginger.

That stuff probably isn't good for you. But as with anything, take it in moderation. And exercise. Exercise even if you just go out and walk for an hour every day will help a lot.

Has anyone seen Fathead?

In essence it's a rebuttal to Supersize Me, with the guy going on a fast food "diet" in order to prove that you can actually lose weight by only eating junk food for a while. More interestingly, the bulk of the documentary is an arguement against the lipid hypothesis - the dominant school of thought that's been argued about in this thread.

Coincidentally I stumbled on this article not long after watching it

Article
A year ago I introduced Mail readers to my low-carb approach to putting type 2 diabetes into remission, telling how it’s transformed the health of patients in my GP practice.

I’ve been overwhelmed by how our story has caught the public’s imagination — and inspired GPs, too. Over a thousand fellow doctors have signed up to take the e-learning course I designed for the Royal College of General Practitioners,

I’ve also been asked to give countless talks on low carb and its impact on patients with type 2 diabetes — including later this month, at the Diabetes UK professional conference in Glasgow.

I was even made an ambassador for the All Party Parliamentary Group on diabetes and got to meet Health Secretary Matt Hancock.

Article
Thanks to low carb, my GP practice in Southport, Merseyside, has changed, with nearly 50 per cent of my patients having put their type 2 into remission.

This means they have been able to come off their medication (helping my NHS practice spend £50,000 less annually on diabetes drugs than the average!).

What is perhaps more important is that nearly all of them have experienced improvements in their blood sugar levels. And it’s not just their diabetic control, their weight, blood pressure and liver function have improved, too.

Back