Carlos and his Aprilia

• Thread starter Carlos
  • 114 comments

Carlos

Premium
Netherlands
Netherlands
Hey guys! I'll be turning 24 later this year and so I'm going to get me a license! :D

I could have gotten my license years earlier, but the law here is weird. If I would get my license now, before I turn 24, my max is 125cc bike. I would have to rock that two years to be allowed to get a 35kw bike... Now you understand why I have waited :D

My favourite brand is Aprilia, probably because I have had Aprilia mopeds.
The 2003 SBK (best livery ever made) RS50
klein17.jpg

Really liked driving it and did the tuning thing too. But on a beautiful day I made the mistake to overtake my mom, not thinking clearly, she freaked out when she found out it was going a little bit faster than I told her. To my amazing my dad tricked her into buying me a brand new one if I promised not to tune it (:lol:).

ykaa.jpg

i6gg.jpg

Of course I couldn't resist it :D But it was all good and never had any major problems, just tickets.

What bike do I want? This is where its gets difficult. I like so many bikes, I really can't decide... I have friends who drive bikes and occasionally I drive them too, but I have too little experience to decide what was nice. Need more time but I don't want to lose my license before I even have it...

Size is important, I'm on the large side. Around 1.90m, somewhere between 85/95 kilos. First real bike I have ever driven was a RS250, awesome bike, but too much maintenance. After that I hopped on a RSV R Mille;
rvk1.jpg

I feel quite big on that bike but in the same way pretty comfortable. The bike was quite heavy to throw around but with my size it was okay. I would like to buy this bike but in Nori Haga replica colours :) Like my first RS50!

I have driven the new RSV4 too, that was very cool :cool: What a bike :dopey: Unfortunately I don't have RSV4 money so its just a picture of me on a RSV4....
ivpp.jpg

My knees are around the same hight as my hands and that felt pretty nice, so I'm looking for something like that. I have driven a friends Z750 and his SXV550. I have the feeling that SXV550 will be excellent, though very bad for my license. The Z750 was very good and comfortable but it lacks excitement. It has too many cylinders. That brings me to the Aprilia Dorsoduro 750, I'm looking at this bike with serious thoughts, this is one of the bikes I want to drive.

APRILIA_750_Dorsoduro_08-12_SLIP-ON-Linie_2_x_Verbindungsrohre_in_V4A_2_x_Hexagonal-Dmpfer_320_mm_Mantellnge_mit_dB-Eater_VTUV054__L_e1_Nr0720____SA7SO2HDT_1.jpg

I think this would be perfect for me to have fun, play around and be able to drive to work everyday (~20km vice versa). I have seated on this bike and for my length it feels very comfortable. Can't wait to test drive this :) My other option would be the RSV Mille R or the R Factory. If I would get the RSV R Mille, it has to be the one from 2003 in the Haga colours.

And I need clothes, pretty soon. I want clothes before I'm starting to take lessons, I find it very nasty to put those clothes on they have for you. I'm pretty sure I don't want to wear leather, not because I'm vegan or whatever but I just don't like the look of it.

This jacket I like a lot:
Alpinestars-T-GP-Plus-Textile-Motorradjacke-schwarz.jpg

With these (I don't think the long ones fit??)
GPX2013-500x500.jpg

And as an helmet I like the one with the flip up system. After checking a lot of brands I think I like this one the most:
HJC-R-Pha-MAX-BM.jpg

It looks pretty normal and the overall design looks nice. Includes sun shield what is a must!

But for the rest, I really have no idea.. Only thing I know is I'm going to get my license soon. :D Help is much appreciated 👍

And thanks for reading :D

Hi Carlos, nice to know you are joining the biking friternety.Just to let you know about the Aprilia RSVR, the tank range will only last you 60 to 70 miles before a fill up and they run very hot in traffic.Plus the rear brake fluid reservoir is behind the engine, so when the engine gets hot it boils the brake fluid.That's what i've been told anyway, by someone who owns a standard RSV.Plus you have to keep the battery charged or else the mileometer resets it's self.Other than them things, i don't know of any other problems.If you want a good first bigger bike, and your budget can stretch to it you can't go wrong with a 2006 Honda CBR600F6 or a 600RR.If you still want more power go for a 2006/07 onwards CBR1000RR Fireblade.

Cheers Nath.

Thanks Nath I did not know that. Is that the 2004 and onwards models or the pre 2003's? I like to cruise in cities so that could be a problem.

The CBR is a nice bike but in that 4 cylinder category I think I like the ZX10R (2006-2007) more. That's also a pretty powerful bike from what I have read.

I only knew Aprilias were a bit hard to maintain (valves needed to be checked frequently etc) or 2 cylinders in general. Not sure how much money that would cost me, might have to think that one through some more.

No problem mate.Your best bet is an Aprilia club in your country, to get more info on that model.Have a look here

www.aprilia-riders.nl/

I would recommend a helmet that is not black. Usually the first thing someone in a car sees on a motorcycle is the helmet. If everything is black, (jacket, bike, helmet, etc.) a car will be less likely to see you and pull out in front of you. Then you will probably crash, which is not fun on a bike. Personally I would wear a brightly colored helmet, at least for the first 1 or 2 years.

Black gear is not fun. I have black gloves, black helmet, and a black jacket. Don't do it.

Supermotos (like the Aprilia Dorsoduro) are alot of fun. I recently got a Husqvarna SMS630.

For gloves, I would suggest trying to get a pair of Icon TiMax gloves. You can't get them new but they are amazing.

Edit: Oh, don't do a flip-up helmet. The flip up part will fail in a wreck and you'd be better off with a brain bucket. Get a full helmet.

Aye i bet a nice silver Aprilia RS250 would be nice to ride.Hard work but rewarding to ride.

I like the 250 a lot but I felt too big on it.. I have driven a 250 once, owned by the same guy as the RSV above..
14381044418_908667b46b_o.jpg

I was 16 or 17 here, so I might have grown a bit more :scared:

And for clothing, a little color might be smart. But I don't see many nice system helmets on the market, only those bright yellow ones.. The helmet I had on the photo above was nice (Shoei), maybe I should go for something like that again.

A bit later than planned but went shopping today. Got me a suit, boots, gloves and an helmet. Now I can start my lessons :D

Hi Carlos, how are you doing with the lessons ?.Have you done your first one yet ?.What bike do you think you will have after you pass your test ?.

I am hankering after a 2005 Lucky strike GSX-R 750 if i can find one.

I'd personally go with the supermoto simply because it's going to be the most fun bike for the road.

The Mille will be too fast to really push on the road, and the RSV4 even worse in that regard.

Hi Carlos, how are you doing with the lessons ?.Have you done your first one yet ?.What bike do you think you will have after you pass your test ?.

I am hankering after a 2005 Lucky strike GSX-R 750 if i can find one.

Good! :D Yes, the instructor was happy with me. The lessons are two hours each. Friday I have my second and Saturday my third lesson. Having an RS50 when I was 16 wasn't such a bad idea, I think this really sped up the first steps. Like clutch, changing gears.

Nice! I always liked the Lucky strike livery. Is the bike stock with white or black wheels? When I google I see so many with both..

I'd personally go with the supermoto simply because it's going to be the most fun bike for the road.

The Mille will be too fast to really push on the road, and the RSV4 even worse in that regard.

I'm also pretty sure the SM is the most fun bike. But the thing is, all my friends ride these superbikes... And with an SM I'm kinda left behind :guilty: My two best friends ride Hayabusa and KTM RC8 :ouch: Very big chance every time it's nice weather I'm going to ride with them so I feel the need to have a fast bike. At the moment my mind is set on the RSV1000R Factory.

Though the friend with the RC8 lost his license last Friday, 220km/h where 100 allowed :lol:

I'm also pretty sure the SM is the most fun bike. But the thing is, all my friends ride these superbikes... And with an SM I'm kinda left behind :guilty: My two best friends ride Hayabusa and KTM RC8 :ouch: Very big chance every time it's nice weather I'm going to ride with them so I feel the need to have a fast bike. At the moment my mind is set on the RSV1000R Factory.

Though the friend with the RC8 lost his license last Friday, 220km/h where 100 allowed :lol:

It's all rider, put a good rider on a cbr250 on a twisty road and they will leave everything behind.

The SM will be easier to learn on for how to go fast, and it will be much easier to actually get to the limit on a normal road.

Plus maybe it is better not having a supersport for licensing reasons.:lol:

Did lessons today and yesterday, both 2 hours. Felt pretty confident and this went on for sale today:
17318798706_d98875f979.jpg

17342879142_1b1422c94d.jpg

And it was only a 15 minute drive so couldn't help myself to go and look. Thing is pretty much perfect only some more than usual stone damage on the left side on the frame. He said that was because he went to the circuit and went into the gravel. He looked pretty relaxed about it so I don't think something more happened. Oh you never know second hand I guess. Very low mileage and I felt the price was right, so bought it. Did all the usual tests and it felt good, sounded good, can't wait. It's going into the garage till I have my license :embarrassed::lol:

Ha! :lol:

Today I had my first exam, the general vehicle control exam (or what it's called, used Google translate). Was a bit nervous but didn't need to :D May the 28th I have my paper exam and if I get that I can do the last road exam..

My brother has a Mille R. He named it Glenn....... Honest! Here is is at a track day on it.

Steve%252520on%252520Glenn.jpg

He's in California, I'm in Florida, so I've not had the pleasure..... I have his VTR-1000 at my house right now, though, babysitting it until he can sell it or come get it, and I run that out and about once in a while when the hoodlum urge comes over me. He calls it the third best liter twin he's ever had. The bikes you see here are the only liter twins he's ever had....... I do like the sound it makes, especially at 7 or 8 grand on the tach!!!!

DSC_4664.jpg

My brother has a Mille R. He named it Glenn....... Honest! Here is is at a track day on it.

Steve%252520on%252520Glenn.jpg

He's in California, I'm in Florida, so I've not had the pleasure..... I have his VTR-1000 at my house right now, though, babysitting it until he can sell it or come get it, and I run that out and about once in a while when the hoodlum urge comes over me. He calls it the third best liter twin he's ever had. The bikes you see here are the only liter twins he's ever had....... I do like the sound it makes, especially at 7 or 8 grand on the tach!!!!

DSC_4664.jpg

Looks great in yellow!

Glenn? Hmm.. haha. Haven't named mine yet. Not sure if I should :P

That VTR looks like it had some rough days. Don't think I've seen those riding around here though. I've seen a white SP2 once..

Just had my first lesson in the rain and I still don't like rain :D

The VTR was VERY second-hand, bought cheap from a kid that discovered he couldn't handle it (or more likely, whose parents discovered it....) It's only got 12,000 miles on it, and it's not the original engine!!!!

Cleans up well! I've always been a sucker for black and gold, ever since the JPS Lotuses of the 70s.

A note about my brother's Honda.... That VTR-1000 was called Superhawk in the U.S. and Firestorm in Europe, if that helps tell you what it is.

Not a comfortable road bike, and very short range on a tank, not much more than 100 miles! Geared fairly tall, you can hardly get past third gear in town. Unique swingarm setup, swingarm attaches to the engine rather than the frame.

Back