Cast Your Vote in The World Cup of Movie Cars

Would like see a TV car one as well as my fave the AE86 in there. Was also in the initial D movie (live action and in stage 3, technically a movie).

I'm missing KITT from Night Rider, I know it's a TV series but so was The Dukes of Hazard. Granted the latter has 1 movie spinoff but it that the reason for being on the list or not, ooh well.
Yes, this is movie cars only.

Knight Rider has had three movies (although all were made-for-TV), but none featured the original KITT. Dukes of Hazzard has had three movies too (two made-for-TV), and the General Lee features, so is eligible.

We were tempted by the A-Team van but nobody on the forums suggested it, it's not in the film for very long (IMCDB three stars)... and it's not real. The A-Team van was a 1983 GMC Vandura, but the one in the film was a 1994 Chevrolet G20 made to look like the Vandura.

I think cars from TV series have a much heavier and lasting impact than cars from movies due to TV series running multiple years and a movie just south of 2 hours, so it's odd to leave them out.
It's not odd to leave TV cars out of a movie car poll. We wouldn't include Forza Horizon cars in a Gran Turismo Sport car poll...

Maybe there can be a TV car poll in the future.

Yes, this is movie cars only.

Knight Rider has had three movies (although all were made-for-TV), but none featured the original KITT. Dukes of Hazzard has had three movies too (two made-for-TV), and the General Lee features, so is eligible.

We were tempted by the A-Team van but nobody on the forums suggested it, it's not in the film for very long (IMCDB three stars)... and it's not real. The A-Team van was a 1983 GMC Vandura, but the one in the film was a 1994 Chevrolet G20 made to look like the Vandura.

It's not odd to leave TV cars out of a movie car poll. We wouldn't include Forza Horizon cars in a Gran Turismo Sport car poll...

Maybe there can be a TV car poll in the future.

Ok thanks for the clarification, makes sense now!

I can't believe the Peugeot's new owner is a GTPlanet member, that's awesome! Congrats!

Your friend Franck has a very interesting company there; I would love to come by for a visit the next time I'm in France. :D

I would love to show you all our movie cars and discuss about GT of course ! Whenever you want ;)(all the other gtplanet members are also welcome of course !:cheers:)

I dig this poll. But it ain't enough to sign up to 'tweet' rants. Otherwise, Speed Racer's Mach5 and Batman's Tumbler would get double(cheat) tweets from yours truly.

Oh snap!... I just remembered Stringfellow Hawk's AirWolf. Most Awesome Bird Ever! Yeah... i know

It's the first knockout today!

With all of these knockout matches you've got 24hr to cast your vote before the next match the following day. There's going to be some tough decisions, as we're now down to just 16 cars, but don't hesitate or you'll lose your opportunity to make your choice!

So, on to the second round, and our first pairing is:

The Italian Job - Austin Mini Cooper S
wcomc-004-italianjob-mini-jpg.769838

Think Mini, think The Italian Job. This classic 60s heist caper featured the famous city car as getaway vehicles. Charlie Croker's crew packed their stolen gold into the trunk of three Minis and escaped down the lesser traveled roads of Turin - including a shopping mall, the sewers and the famous Lingotto test track. Sadly, all three met with a grisly end, disposed of once their job was done.

The Fast and The Furious - Toyota Supra MkIV
wcomc-008-fandf-supra-jpg.769843

If this film had been the one and only, the Supra might be the most memorable of the very many cars in it. Introduced as a burned-out wreck, this is the "ten second car" Brian owes Dom, and uses to get inside the Toretto family circle while investigating heists of 14-inch CRT/VCR shipments. It was 2001. After whipping a "more than you can afford" Ferrari and chasing down the real bad guy, Brian lets Dom escape in the Supra after the climactic drag race. Sadly Dom came back, but the Supra didn't.

The fact that this is two of the cars in our featured image for the blog post hasn't escaped us. Should be a close one...

Last edited:
Well, I'm not sure how the Mini lost that one. Still, onto the second pairing:

Herbie (series) - Volkswagen Type 1 Beetle
i002765.jpg

Herbie's fame is almost total. Few people will hear the name Herbie and not instantly think of the tiny, mischievous, off-white #53 Volkswagen. The star of a bunch of innocent comedies of the 1960s, 1970s and 1980s (and one utter pup of a film with Lindsay Lohan), Herbie - along with Chitty Chitty Bang Bang to an extent - was one of the first car personalities. Herbie himself was the lead character, and the humans he encountered mere bit-part players. And an early warning for what autonomous cars could become.

Gone in 60 Seconds (1974) - Ford Mustang Mach 1 "Eleanor"
i004972.jpg

GTPlanet's members voted for both Eleanors to appear on this list - despite some arguing over which was the "right" one. The plot is broadly similar, with Maindrian Pace running a professional car theft gang, but his plan to steal 48 cars is voluntary and has a slightly longer deadline. The crew gives all the cars female codenames, and the original Eleanor is a 1973 Ford Mustang fastback. It's no less cursed than in the remake, with Pace stealing four different cars before meeting success.

Two classics from very different ends of the spectrum. Will the quirky People's Car with the curse of intelligence win, or the V8 that's actually cursed?

Last edited:
V8, anyone? Our next second-round tie is a classic North American V8 with throwback roots and roof decor against a near-future survivor from down under...

The Dukes of Hazzard - Dodge Charger "General Lee"
i016023.jpg

Better known on the small screen, the General Lee made its way to film - and eligibility - with a 2005 movie for Johnny Knoxville and Seann William Scott. It's a pretty faithful update (certainly compared with Knight Rider's attempts at films) even though it got seven Razzie nominations. One of the things that carries through untouched is that giant, orange Dodge Charger with what's now a slightly inappropriate roof design. You're singing the horn noise in your head right now.

Mad Max (series) - Ford Falcon XB GT "Pursuit Special"
i002138.jpg

Before there was Tom Hardy, there was Mel Gibson as the Road Warrior Max Rockatansky. Gibson's films, set in a world teetering on - and then plunging into - apocalypse sees Max go from cop to vigilante after a gang murders his wife. The black Pursuit Special and its giant, supercharged V8 is as much of a star as Gibson himself, even though the car is destroyed halfway through the second film - hence its appearance at the very start of 2015's Fury Road.

I voted for the Falcon based on the strict criteria that we're voting on movie cars, rather than cars from TV. I didn't even know there was a Dukes of Hazzard film.

I voted for the Falcon based on the strict criteria that we're voting on movie cars, rather than cars from TV. I didn't even know there was a Dukes of Hazzard film.
Really?

Starred Johnny Knoxville and Seann William Scott as the Duke brothers, Willie Nelson as Uncle Jesse and Jessica Simpson as Daisy Duke. Burt Reynolds - Burt Reynolds - was Boss Hogg.

It ended up nominated for a whole fleet of Razzies, but didn't win any of them (which is surprising, as Jessica Simpson would have been just as effective if her role had gone to a pair of denim hotpants and a set of breasts). It's really rather fun though.

The General Lee is a film car in the same way that William Shatner is a recording artist.

Technically yes but...
His "Common People" is superior to Pulp's.

There, I said it.

Really?

Starred Johnny Knoxville and Seann William Scott as the Duke brothers, Willie Nelson as Uncle Jesse and Jessica Simpson as Daisy Duke. Burt Reynolds - Burt Reynolds - was Boss Hogg.

It ended up nominated for a whole fleet of Razzies, but didn't win any of them (which is surprising, as Jessica Simpson would have been just as effective if her role had gone to a pair of denim hotpants and a set of breasts). It's really rather fun though.
I've only ever heard of Willie Nelson and Burt Reynolds. Though it sounds like I ought to do a bit of research on Jessica Simpson for, uh, science.

I've only ever heard of Willie Nelson and Burt Reynolds.
Johnny Knoxville is Jackass. Also been in the terrible Jackie Chan film Skiptrace and the two-headed alien henchman throughout Men in Black II.

Seann William Scott... if you've seen a film with a shiftless, slightly dense college-age kinda-jock, you've seen him. He's a named lead in Dude Where's My Car, Evolution, American Pie, Welcome to the Jungle/The Rundown, Bulletproof Monk, Final Destination...

The fourth second-round tie is more V8s - a modern classic reinterpretation of a classic classic against one of the greatest car chase sequences ever put to film.

Or Nic Cage vs. Steve McQueen, if you prefer...

Gone in Sixty Seconds (2000) - Shelby Mustang GT500 "Eleanor"
i002211.jpg

Although the original Eleanor makes it into our final 32, the remake does too. The Nic Cage heist caper sees Memphis Raines and his crew trying to steal 50 cars in one night for an export order. To fool the cops, the gang uses codenames for each of the 50 cars and the Shelby Mustang - Raines' unicorn car, as he's never been able to get away with stealing one - is Eleanor. We wouldn't say he's exactly successful this time either.

Bullitt - Ford Mustang
wcomc-002-bullitt-mustang-jpg.769846

When conversation turn towards the greatest car chases in film, this one's right up there. Yes, the Charger misses the gas station completely, and yes, they pass the same green Beetle about a billion times, but the soundtrack and wheelcraft is wondrous. The fact that it's two amazing pony cars head-to-head through city streets helps, and though the Charger plays its part, it's Frank Bullitt's Mustang that steals the show - and the DVD cover. It's an icon Ford itself has used, creating Bullitt special edition versions of the Mustang, and if that's not a strong enough argument for the car's place in this final 32, nothing will be.

Last edited:
Bullitt should be the outright winner.
In the original GTP poll, Bullitt came second. However, in the first round it came second in its group and got hosed by the 2F2F Skyline that we very nearly didn't put into the longlist at all - so it only got the 13th highest number of votes of the cars in round one.

By comparison, Eleanor was also a top seed in joint sixth originally, but blew through the first round with the highest number of votes of any car...

We're halfway through deciding the Quarter Finalists, and some big, big names have fallen - Bullitt, Herbie, the Minis from the Italian Job... That's set to continue as the fifth second-round knockout puts two of the top three cars as voted for by GTPlanet against each other... Great Scott!

Back to the Future - DeLorean DMC-12
wcomc-005-bttf-delorean-jpg.769842

When this baby hits 88mph, you're going to see some serious ****. This car was by far the most popular in our initial shortlisting and it's not hard to see why. The DeLorean itself has a ridiculous back story and the stainless steel body is iconic, and then Doc. Emmett Brown made it into a time machine. Easily the third star of the three films, behind the wacky Chris Lloyd and cool teen Michael J. Fox, this DeLorean has a nuclear heart, manages to be in three places at once and can eventually fly. Although, like so many others on this list, it gets absolutely obliterated at the end of the story... unless you think fourth-dimensionally.

Smokey and the Bandit - Pontiac Trans Am
i002514.jpg

One black car, one gold eagle and a most impressive mustache. Smokey and the Bandit was not only a classic renegade smuggler story, but also kick-started a very short-lived trend for CB radio - Smokey being CB slang for the police. Bandit's Trans Am, intended to attract the cops and distract them from the big rig smuggling... Coors (really), certainly had the desired effect, and it became one of Burt Reynolds' most famous movie roles.

Three second-round ties left, and we've got one of the biggest guns possible here... against a French minicab:

James Bond (series) - Aston Martin DB5
wcomc-012-bond-astondb5-jpg.769892

Other Bond cars come and go, but the DB5 is eternal. In the film series, the Aston is the first official company car the secret agent drives. Equipped with an ejector seat, primitive satellite tracking system, wheel scythes, bullet shield and machine guns, it was the first glance at the bloated budget of the Secret Service and the gadgetry on offer. In its first appearance, Bond crashes it into a wall after getting confused by a mirror, but it's made it to six more Bond films since.

Taxi (series) - Peugeot 406
i000726.jpg

Imagine the Transporter, but instead of an underworld courier you have a speed-fiend pizza delivery driver who's found a new career as a taxi driver. That's Taxi, right down to the location and production team - Taxi is the brainchild of the lightly crazy Luc Besson. Daniel Morales' Peugeot 406 is one of a kind - the crew reportedly used a modified 406 BTCC car for some driving sequences - and the film was successful enough to spawn FOUR sequels and a dreadful US remake with Queen Latifah.

I like the Taxi films.
I love the Peugeot 406.

But there's no question that the DB5 is more iconic.

It's interesting that the draw has thrown up so many themed second round matches. The seventh tie puts two fictional cars against each other - one who learns who he is, and the other pretending to be something it's not...

Ferris Bueller’s Day Off - Ferrari 250 GT California Spyder SWB
i002864.jpg

Yes, we all know, it's a fake. Nonetheless, the car that fourth-wall-breaking, truanting teen Ferris Bueller and his friends Cameron Frye and Sloane Peterson use to get around Chicago on one last good day before the end of high school is a cinema legend - if only for the moment Frye loses his temper on the Ferrari his dad loves more than him...

Cars - Lightning McQueen
wcomc-003-cars-lightning-jpg.769841

Speed. I am speed. As if he needs an introduction, McQueen is the arrogant and slightly dim hero of Pixar's Cars series of films. He's a generic NASCAR stock car - no make or model ever attributed to him, perhaps in a sly dig at the one-body, many-faces nature of the series - who comes a cropper on his way to a championship decider. Along the way back he makes friends with a number of cars he wouldn't normally mix with, learns lessons and finds a new humility. And two weak sequels.

Another slam dunk for the Captain of the Enterprise-B.
I've no idea how the lead character of three films (and one good one) is losing to an MGB in a frock...

... although McQueen was a pot 4 car and the lowest-ranked car remaining after the first round.

We're down to the final spot in the last eight, and it's between two rather excessively modified cars on quite opposite ends of the scale...

2Fast 2Furious - Nissan Skyline R34 GT-R
wcomc-010-fandf-skyline-jpg.769847

While certainly memorable, the Skyline's screen time in its film is among the shortest of anything else here. It only appears in the first part of the film, and doesn't even live through that. After winning its opening street race, complete with implausible bridge jump and dreadful CGI, the feds use an electronic stinger to scramble the car's systems and Brian promptly crashes it. Yet among the hundreds of modified cars in the film, the silver Skyline with the blue graphics and blue underbody lights remains the one most remember.

The Blues Brothers - Dodge Monaco “Bluesmobile”
bluesbrothersbluesmobil.769.jpg

A battered cop car - with a 440 engine, cop tires, cop suspension, cop shocks - and the most ludicrous speaker ever created (actually an air raid siren), the Bluesmobile helps Jake and Elwood escape the law in their mission from God to raise $5,000 for the orphanage they grew up in. It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses. Hit it.

Back