Cheap Shaker - Sinus Live Bass-Pump III 4 Ohm

This

These av receivers will barely output 30 watts per channel much less 100 watts per channel.

Thats funny I am running two 50 watt aura's on one channel of a AV receiver that is 100 watt per channel and all I need is half volume. So I think that I am getting more than 30 watts. and I still have five more channels to work with.

I received the units today and attached them to by chair, just waiting on the wire to arrive from Audio Visual.

Is this wiring diagram correct for series?

sony_str_da2400es_rear_panel_zpsad852845.jpg

Wiring this way am I right assuming that the amp should be set to 4 ohms?

Also there are 2 additional questions in the diagram as I saw another connector (Sub Back) and read about providing more power to the bass shakers by wiring a certain way. (Forgot the terminology)
If you wire them that way you will need your amp on 8 ohm, if your amp will do 4 ohm jut put one shaker on the front left and one on the right front,just like you would two speakers, just start off with the volume turned down low.

Thats funny I am running two 50 watt aura's on one channel of a AV receiver that is 100 watt per channel and all I need is half volume. So I think that I am getting more than 30 watts. and I still have five more channels to work with.
No chance. All that means is you are satisfied with the amount of watts it is outputting. Go look up a so called high end receiver and you will find yourself surprised at the outcome.

On my Creative Ti HD soundcard I have Headphone Out, Optical Out and Analog Out.

When I select spidif output on my Soundcard's Playback devices, the headphone sound cuts out. Is there a way that I can have them running simultaneously?

This is how it looks so far attached to my seat

IMG_20130205_113031_zpsa2d6fef7.jpg

I removed the sticker in the middle as it looked naff

IMG_20130205_113455_zpsb12a14a5.jpg

IMG_20130205_142649_zpsbe3a12ed.jpg

Thanks

My Creative titanium has dolby digital live and dts encoder biult in, this takes the analogue signals and converts them to 5.1 for optical, the analogue ports still output sound at the same time as soundcard isnt in optical mode, works on the fly :)

Great start for me for when i get some shakers, sorry i cant help with your issue.

Wire received. There was no way I was going to pay the rip off prices at Halfrauds. So I managed to snap up a good price for some "Off-Cuts" Black concert cable at Audio Visual Online. After braiding the ends from some lefovers I had it's all attached and working.

IMG_20130207_133822_zps6391bb72.jpg

IMG_20130207_133610_zps4da212a5.jpg

IMG_20130207_133654_zps102b46a3.jpg

I'll be testing these out tonight.

Sorry people I'll have to do the review on the weekend. Apparently the chandelier was shaking downstairs. I need to find a way to block the vibrations now lol

Germinator - try 80Hz

I notice from your photos that the Shakers are mounted directly onto the chair - you may get a better effect if you put a few washers (3 or 4) under each leg to give the mechanism more room to move / prevent collison with the chair surface - it will also enable more air to get to the mechanism which is air cooled from under the shaker.

The chair needs to be isolated from the floor with rubber - the cheapest way is to put the chair on some rubber mats - I bought three from pound land for £1 each. Alternatively you can get rubber gymn mats from Toys R Us or Argos and cut to size. Another alternative is to replace the wheels of the chair with solid rubber doorstops. Isolation of the chair from the floor with rubber will increase the shaking effect and reduce the transmission of vibration into the floor below.

When you do your test try out the C63 Merc, R8 Audi and N24 GTR cockpit view - the effect should be incredible!

Germinator - I am not sure how your amp is set, but these shakers are designed to accept frequencies from 20Hz to about 80Hz. I set the low pass filter on my amp to only send them the mid point between 40 and 140Hz i.e. all frequencies below about 80/100Hz.

I have two 5.1 receivers one for surrond sound and one for aura shakers, can somebody till me how to hook up the second receiver for the shakers? I have already put a y on the first amp for sub-out and put one to sub and one to cd in on second amp, does it matter which speaker output I use for the shaker?
Thanks

Hi Ronzer

I've been looking to hearing more from you about your tactile setup.

So one surround receiver does the audio. The sub out from that receiver has been split and is feeding into the second receiver via the cd in. I suggest you set the second receiver to stereo and connect to either the left or right channel if the signal is going into both left and right. If the signal is only going into the left, set the receiver to stereo and just connect the shakers to the left front etc.

Be careful to keep the volume down. I suggest using test tones first to check the mounting of the shakers. A test tone will push the shakers much harder than the signal from the game and you can use it to help find a maximum level. Then try using your race replays so you can concentrate on the tactile effect fully. When everything is ok try the game, but be aware that a few cars produce a great effect such as C63 Merc or R8 Audi V8 and some produce hardly any effect.

Happy shaking, looking foward to hearing more about your testing.l

Hi Ronzer

I've been looking to hearing more from you about your tactile setup.

So one surround receiver does the audio. The sub out from that receiver has been split and is feeding into the second receiver via the cd in. I suggest you set the second receiver to stereo and connect to either the left or right channel if the signal is going into both left and right. If the signal is only going into the left, set the receiver to stereo and just connect the shakers to the left front etc.

Be careful to keep the volume down. I suggest using test tones first to check the mounting of the shakers. A test tone will push the shakers much harder than the signal from the game and you can use it to help find a maximum level. Then try using your race replays so you can concentrate on the tactile effect fully. When everything is ok try the game, but be aware that a few cars produce a great effect such as C63 Merc or R8 Audi V8 and some produce hardly any effect.

Happy shaking, looking foward to hearing more about your testing.l

Thanks Sick
got it all hooked up and works great, now I have surround sound and tactile setup, I have to run the volume a little high its only 100 watts a channel and I have two Aura pro's on one channel to get 8 ohms, buts works good,
Thanks for the help

Ronzer

Great to hear that your system is working well. I have bought a headphone amplifier to boost the signal before it goes into the shaker amp. I have not tested it yet, but read that some people use them with tactile. Its a behringer HA400 (about £15). Will report back after testing.

Sinus live also make a twin voice coil shaker which is supposed to give a lot more thump (£39.99 called the "Big Bass Pumping"). Not tried one yet, but I'm tempted. It can be wired up as 2 ohm or 8 ohm as it has twin coils and twin connections. That might work well with your setup if you want extra shaking.

Ronzer

I have just realised that you are not in Europe so ignore my comment about the Sinus Live - I notice you are lucky enough to have the Aura Pro shakers.

If you are having to run your amp at high volume due to a weak signal from the PS3, it may be worth trying out a headphone amp such as the HA400 to boost the signal.

Ronzer

Great to hear that your system is working well. I have bought a headphone amplifier to boost the signal before it goes into the shaker amp. I have not tested it yet, but read that some people use them with tactile. Its a behringer HA400 (about £15). Will report back after testing.

Sinus live also make a twin voice coil shaker which is supposed to give a lot more thump (£39.99 called the "Big Bass Pumping"). Not tried one yet, but I'm tempted. It can be wired up as 2 ohm or 8 ohm as it has twin coils and twin connections. That might work well with your setup if you want extra shaking.

One difficulty from using something like this may be that the headphone/secondary amp does not pass/produce good low frequencies. Even some affordable/cheap AV amplifiers struggle to go below 40Hz on the main channels.

You may be better with a good equaliser to increase the gain with limited distortion or drawbacks on the original signal.

Last edited:
A useful comment Mr Latte. I will try it out and report back, but may need to get a Behringer 3102 graphic eq. I noticed a big drop in signal strength when I went from mono to stereo tactile.

Back