Clark’s 2015 Skoda Octavia ‘Otto’

• Thread starter Clark
  • 182 comments
Just thought I'd say that I'll be popping down to Birds Auto next Friday, can't remember why :P

I'm sure I'll end up blowing more money there as well later on new springs and dampers, probably at least the front ARB as well.

Last edited:
Ouch :embarrassed:
image.jpg

You could almost buy an entire RX8 for that, and they have LSDs as standard :P

More seriously though; ouch. Is it worth it in your opinion?

My E30 had a proper clutch LSD. (The one i'm buying is a gear type LSD which requires no maintenance and barely wears, only thing it won't do like a 'proper' LSD is lock when one wheel is in the air. Advantages of a gear type LSD is that it doesn't cause as much understeer and itdoesn't suddenly lock off the line as well like a clutch LSD).

After driving my new car which doesn't have one it can be frustrating when driving fast that out of slower corners or over bumps either the TCS cuts and slows you down or for me with the TCS off you just lose speed and have the inside rear wheel just spin away your power (and my tyre tread!)

It just means I can get sideways controllably and not just have the horrible feeling of the revs spiking but not really accelerating the car much. The car does suffer with traction issues, with 265bhp/230lb-fts compared to 171bhp/~140lb-ft of the E30. Even with normal driving the 130i can cut the power in the wet when trying to briskly accelerate just because it struggles so much.

Finally with the LSD the rear end doesn't need to be set up so soft like it is from the factory (to aid traction), so down the line I'll be getting some new dampers or springs for the rear.

So it's worth it in my eyes, evens convinced the other half it's worth it. Plus it won't blow up after a year like a £1300 RX8 engine would :P

LSD Fitted for a few weeks now and it's transformed the car, so much traction it's a proper weapon in the dry and it's really fun in the wet.

Anyway, I thought i'd post a quick intro to my holiday next week. :D

My girlfriend and are going to camp just outside Florence for a week, but we're not flying. I'm driving us there, all ~1100 miles :embarrassed:

I'm really looking forward to it, I love driving abroad. On Sunday the 10th August we're getting on the ferry in Dover at 22.35 and driving down to Monaco mvia Nice on Monday morning where will will stop off at my girlfriend's friend.

When camping in Florence we've got one day dedicated to going to Modena and trying to find Pagani there as well, maybe try to go to St Agata ;) The rest of the time will be spent in Florence and maybe a day in Turin if it's not too far (I love the Italian Job). The journey back will probably be via the Mont Blanc tunnel and the Alps.

So watch this space and I'll try and update if I have wi-fi.

I'm reckoning about 6-7 full tanks of fuel for the whole holiday in case anybody asks ;0

Last edited:
Car is pretty much packed. Suitcases, chairs, tent, mini BBQ and a few other things in the boot.
image.jpg

This big food box will be going on the back seat. After owning a fwd hatch (Clio) and going to Le Mans in 2012 with it, I now appreciate fully why a RWD isn't the most practical thing, the foot floor is quite high and the boot itself isn't as wide as I'd hope. A shame as despite being a small car, the saloon style boot of the E30 really did swallow up loads.

image.jpg
image.jpg

Car isn't riding too low.
image.jpg

We set off at 8.30am tomorrow with the first stop being Worcester to see my girlfriend's family before we go. Then after it's the start of the 1100 mile (to Florence) journey and off to Dover for a 4.35pm ferry.

I'm going to try and keep this thread updated but obviously in Europe it'll only be when get wi-Fi.

Wish me luck!

Last edited:
A little late, but congrats with the purchase, liking the exhaust choice too. :)👍

Annoyingly I'm still actually waiting on the exhaust from BMW in Germany, last estimate I got was the 28th of August. :|

Sat in Dover eating lunch. Got here a bit early so well have a bit of a wait till 4.40. Parked near a nice Karmann Ghia. :)

image.jpg

After a stop off at my girlfriends family's house we've done a total of 259 miles at 34.3mpg.

Edit: turns out we're allowed to get in on earlier ferry, so we're departing in about 30 mins. Car just went to minimum oil level as we stopped. But I always carry a bottle of oil ready for the situation. Put half a litre in so should be good now :)

Last edited:
Not a drive I want to do again soon. Got to the camp site at 4.15pm last night. Then spent the rest of the day in the pool :P

Currently sat down eating in Florence dinner after satisfying my ACII memories.
image.jpg

It's nice in Switzerland it's just miles of Italian and French autoroutes get a bit monotonous when your doing it for so long. I just bored my girlfriend by counting down the mileage left on each tank and how high I'd got my mpg :P (36.2mpg at average of 58.2mph isn't bad over 1100 miles for my car and engine).

2394 miles
55.6 mph
35.3 mpg

Done.

Phew.

Not the best of luck getting a front left puncture about 10 minutes after getting off the ferry in Dover.

Got an e-mail from the dealer I ordered the BMW Performance exhaust from saying that BMW might actually finally despatch it tomorrow :).

After all the delays I'm not going to get my hopes up too much though.

EDIT: Just seen this video.

Yellow car which goes first is the BMW Performance exhaust, black car uses a 135i exhaust with resonator delete. The BMW P exhaust sounds a bit tame compared to that. I know the resonator delete would make it obscenely loud and drone a lot but it sounds so raw and awesome. Both cars are 125i's (same engine as my car but with less powerful map).

Last edited:
Exhaust should be on it's way tomorrow, any advice/tips on a resonator delete?

Exhaust should be on it's way tomorrow, any advice/tips on a resonator delete?

Any excessive exhaust 'drone' can become tiresome on long journeys. Especially constant-speed motorway stuff.

Yeah I've spoke to a few people and decided I'll keep the resonator.

Woa hadn't seen a lot in this thread. The car is sounding perfect 👍
Also that diff work cost almost as much as my transmission replacement, wow.

Nice exhaust, sounds like it'll be a lot of fun. 👍

Is CRK named after yourself? :P

No but everybody thinks that, it was just lucky coincidence. :D

Latest Posts

Back