Clark’s 2015 Skoda Octavia ‘Otto’

• Thread starter Clark
  • 182 comments
Few minor mods:

Finally changed the centre caps to proper BMW ones, not the carbon effect black ones.

image.jpg
image.jpg

Fitted a Stormwerks Motorsport weighted gearknob.
image.jpg

Fitted my Turner Motorsport aluminium pedals.
image.jpg
image.jpg

And a little Turner window sticker to match.
image.jpg

It's pretty cold in the winter at 6am when I leave for work too :P

My dad's Civic Si has a metal gear knob and I really dislike it. The feel you get from it once it's at a reasonable temperature is wonderful, but if it's cold or hot outside then the gear knob is borderline unusable, especially in the summer. If you can, make a little cover for it so you keep it somewhat insulated when the car is parked.

I just wear gloves at the mo :P

Weighted shift knobs are awesome, but I prefer keeping to BMW ones since they are lighted, and I like that lighting.

How's the metal pedals? Or they increase pedal grip or feel at all?

@Crash This is what the gearknob was like before, it wasn't illuminated or anything and the shape was horrible, it felt more like it was meant to be held like a pistol grip.
image.jpg
This new ones is the perfect shape for the Palm of your hand. The 1er gearshift is very notchy as well and this improves it so much.

The brake and clutch pedals are really grippy, and the throttle pedal is much bigger so your whole foot (or at least my size feet) can fit on the pedal.

Last edited:
So it's 6 speed then, or just a 6 speed knob? I would've expected a small hatch to be 5-speed unless you've replaced the transmission. My father's ute (Triton/L200) has a pistol-like grip too. The pedals are actually in line I notice. My mother's Mazda3 has the accelerator higher and further back. It's annoying if you're not used to where it is and it's dark.

This car's rear drive isn't it? I love how the 1-Series is rear drive (I think it is) If I had to have a hatch it'd be a 1-Series after a mid-engine Clio.

The 130i has a six speed, and all other 1 series after about 2010 are six speeds. It's just for economy as my car will do about 160mph in fifth.

@Crash realised I didn't even include the picture in my previous post directed to you.

Last edited:
The 130i has a six speed, and all other 1 series after about 2010 are six speeds. It's just for economy as my car will do about 160mph in fifth.

@Crash realised I didn't even include the picture in my previous post directed to you.
Oh OK. I'm used to when only sports cars had 6-speed.

Yeah, that post confused me a little (the shifter one). The Triton's shifter is worse though. Like a really long upside down teardrop with notches for your fingers down the back. The Ford Territory automatic shifter has a nice feel to it.

Oh yeah sorry I didn't answer your question in the last post. The 1 series is rear wheel drive with open diff, but ive had an LSD fitted. My car is a 130i with the 3 litre N52B30 inline-six with 265bhp.

The brake and clutch pedals are really grippy, and the throttle pedal is much bigger so your whole foot (or at least my size feet) can fit on the pedal.

That's nice. I do the lazy heel-toe by rolling instead of pivoting my ankle. A wider pedal would be perfect for me.

I do the lazy heel-toe by rolling instead of pivoting my ankle.
My feet aren't big enough for that. Luckily the pedals in the MX-5 are fairly well placed for the other method.

Love the look of those pedals though @Clark. The gearknob looks great too, though I'm swapping the metal ball in my Mazda out as soon as possible because it's like an ice cube every time I get in the car and in the summer it'll be like grabbing a poker from the fire...

Spherical gearknobs are definitely the way to go though. In the hundreds of cars I've driven they're consistently the nicest ones to use, regardless of what they're made of.

While I am partial to the ZHP or some other OEM knobs, that metal one is definitely a step up being weighted and not having perforations (which I personally think look bad on a shifter). Also, the OEM centercaps look waaay better than the ones before. It almost never looks right when people go with black and white logos or german flag M emblems. It really is the details that count when it's your own car and it's looking great 👍

Ouch indeed. The only thing I can think of that would cause damage that high up is going into the back of a lorry?

My fiancée started the car without checking if it was in gear. Where I was parked at work as solid buffers on what used to be the loading deck that are at bonnet height. In a way it's good its only the bonnet and not the whole front bumper etc.

Hasn't exactly made my day though.

Someone borrowed our ute and did that. Put it through their house. The petrol Triton's very jumpy, unlike the diesel which is very steady or so I've been told.

Thankfully I was parked very close to the wall anyway and the buffers on the wall meant only the bonnet was damaged and prevented the front bumper touching the wall.

Back