Clark’s 2015 Skoda Octavia ‘Otto’

• Thread starter Clark
  • 182 comments
I've been told by a repairer I got a quote from that it'll be easier to replace the bonnet.

I can get a new primed bonnet for £80-£120 but it'd be expensive to get painted and hard to match the colours. I've been emailing a few breakers yards and when they're open in the week I'll have a look around seeing if any have any undamaged bonnets on sapphire black E87s.

She didn't do the wobble!
I tend to start cars with the clutch pressed in (even if they don't require it - force of habit from cars that do require it) so I don't often do the wobble either.

People who leave cars in gear on flat ground though are just the worst... @Clark :P It made some sense when handbrakes were barely capable of holding cars half the weight of the vehicle they were attached to, or if you're perched on a steep slope, but it's asking for trouble if a car is ever likely to be driven by anyone but ones self.

It's a habit that carries over from my E30 having a naff handbrake, won't be doing it again.

And what I still don't understand with the incident is that the starter button won't work without the clutch being held down.

Got a quote for a bonnet from a breakers yard: 165.00 + vat and 20.00 for delivery

And what I still don't understand with the incident is that the starter button won't work without the clutch being held down.
That bit is certainly confusing. Glitch in the Matrix or something, perhaps.

Is it possible that she put it into 6th instead of reverse? I take it she doesn't drive it very often, and it seems possible to me that she forgot where reverse is on the 1er if her car has it to the right. It would also explain why only the bonnet was damaged as the car would be moving pretty slowly.

It's a habit that carries over from my E30 having a naff handbrake, won't be doing it again.

Got a quote for a bonnet from a breakers yard: 165.00 + vat and 20.00 for delivery
Maybe pressed the clutch to start it and released it right after? That happened to me once but the E brake was still on so it didn't move much. I actually leave my car in gear in most inclines because the handbrake is crap, but on level surfaces I never do, which might cause trouble because my dad almost always leaves it in gear and I'm expecting it to be the way I left it.

Best way to make sure it to make the "wobble" @Katiegan says a habit before lifting off the clutch.

That really sucks to see, though thankfully only confined to the hood.

Is the hood from the junk yard the same color as your car?

And I don't do the wobble either, though I always depress the clutch pedal.

The new bonnet is the same colour but I'm not going to go with it just yet. I cleaned up the area a bit and the damage isn't too bad so in going to ask around at a few more dent repairers.
image.jpg
image.jpg

Just bought this. 2013 BMW ActiveHybrid 3 BMW approved used with full BMSH. Not an inconsiderable amount of money but it’s got everything I want on the spec sheet and it’s such a car of two halves. Silent on EV mode and then mega when you put your foot down. First auto car as well, and everything I’ve heard about the ZF8 is true but it’s still good fun with the paddles as well. I plan to look after this car a lot better than my previous cars and keep it for many years to come.
0D8E49C1-01A5-48A2-BB85-BEFE470A96FC.jpeg
8280CDBA-0304-4F9C-9874-6136396A0341.jpeg
AE6174FF-6291-4A65-B699-1CCA4452FE5E.jpeg
ECF38A6F-E2C5-4A02-AB60-D60F96B4248D.jpeg
5F87F641-1F86-41B5-BDD8-FE13C1CE1FE0.jpeg

Just have to wait for it to be delivered on Tuesday now :(

Last edited:
It only has 2.5 mike EV range though :lol::lol::lol:
But it’s not plug-in so I never have to worry about charging it after each journey. The ~50bhp is nice on top of the 305bhp from the six.

Congrats! Nice car. Drove a newer 330e as a dealer loaner a few months back, and it really is effortless.

Though I thought this one was already sold?

@Crash I never bothered looking at the 330e as it was only a four pot. This is basically a 335i with KERS.

Somebody has put a deposit down on it but they decided to not get the car because it didn’t have electric seats. I wouldn’t say no to electric seats but it doesn’t bother me not having them.

Last edited:
It’s my excuse for a family car ;) Wife wants kids so this is what I get to keep me happy. 1er was getting a bit tired and I’ve got a new role at work where I need to travel a bit more (petrol gets paid thought at 45p/miLe). This is quicker, comfier, rides better and better on fuel. I was looking at 335i F31 Tourings but they’re weren’t not about and a 340i Touring was still above budget. Looked at AH3s as they all had good spec and they could satisfy my geekiness as well as being faster and more economical. This one came up with almost perfect spec with the gourgeous BMW Individual Tanzanite Blue.

Always wanted a 3er really.

Not bad for three litre in-line-six turbo 300bhp petrol (with leccy motor) is it? 160 mike jaunt down the M5 at 75mph
61D1C6FC-5359-4A7F-A41D-C0357DA90D30.jpeg

Christ, that's almost double what my Honda CRV was getting in terms of MPG :lol: Seems like a logical choice to satisfy all your needs!

It doesn’t sound as good as my E30 or my 130i but it doesn’t sound bad for a turbo motor either.
Only difference is unlike a normal M135i/235i etc with the N55 (newer 40is use the B58) is that doesn’t pop or bang, or sound quite as raw, presumably because of the cars ‘eco’ bias.

Decided it was already time to clean the interior.
0650125D-6081-4764-A1AF-73BC5B71A2E2.jpeg
77395976-E454-4C9E-A86D-EBFB566A4B4A.jpeg

Two new rear tyres (£370 for the pair :| ) needed thanks to a pot hole (gg UK roads) f-ing up my left rear. Also scratched the LR wheel so gonna look a how a smart repair for it will be.
7E21F5B4-9023-4F1D-AE7D-182E4DE866A5.jpeg
EE61BB74-026E-4A21-BAA2-E9DC3B783F08.jpeg

Other than that car has been really enjoyable and relaxing at the same time. Never realised how much I’d like the auto gearbox especially as I travel a more with my job now. Averaged a confirmed (not OBc) 33.7mpg over the 5500 Miles I’ve had it since Feb with every type of driving style and condition etc. Using the electric motor in traffic really helps and on the motorway this car seems to be able to do ~40mpg at 75mph which seems insane for a 3 litre turbo six petrol.

~40mpg at 75mph which seems insane for a 3 litre turbo six petrol.
Modern engines in cars with half-decent aero and tall gearing can be fairly impressive.

I remember when I spent a month with an i8 that it'd do 50mpg at motorway speeds, which is fairly remarkable given its performance and the fact the electric stuff is just dead weight at a steady cruise.

Finally time to replace the crappy Goodyear runflats on this. Got some Michelin Pilot Sport 4s coming (as recommended by @homeforsummer and co at Evo) so cant wait to see how much better the ride will be on non-RFTs (MPS4 also cheaper than the BMW ‘star marked’ Goodyear Eagle F1 RFTs.

Good. Pilot Sport 4S are what I have on the M5 now and they are fantastic tires with how much grip and performance they have, without it being too harsh or loud.

I kept this quiet but I had a little off in December last year :S

Destroyed a wheel and bent a few arms on the rear left. All fixed now though after paying my excess :S
31954607-D5E6-4217-B96B-A8FE9D4C6F89.jpeg
3CD5818A-FFB1-473F-BC54-214561D08148.jpeg
57424394-6D3F-4A92-8F13-693CEB751E7A.jpeg
B48F1DB3-CFCB-4E06-B382-4ED5DEF1389B.jpeg
199AE7BE-952A-4D58-8A0A-3134DC341778.jpeg

Last edited:
Back