Classic Motorsport Photos

• Thread starter Liquid
  • 1,548 comments
tumblr_nvw435wn5s1ub7hu1o1_1280.jpg

Eerie how history connects itself.

The 1982 San Marino Grand Prix. A photo of the hidden iceberg of Ferrari's 1982 Formula 1 season.

Richard+Petty+GN+Plymouth+Superbird+1970.jpg

Joe+Frasson+GN+Dodge+Superbird+1970.jpg

Fred+Lorenzen+Ray+Fox+Dodge+Daytona+Superbird.jpg

I wish NASCAR did publicity photos like this nowadays. So much cooler looking than just a car sitting in a lifeless photo studio.
I agree.

It also reminds me of the days when a NASCAR rolled down a production line at the beginning of its life.

1960 Monegasque Grand Prix

Drivers: Bruce McLaren NZL & Phill Hill USA
Cars: #10 Cooper T53 (2.5L Coventry-Climax I4) and #36 Ferrari 246 (2.4L Ferrari V6)
Finished: 2nd & 3rd

1960phill3ferrarid246n3ie2.jpg

"I've had enough, you're through!"

I've personally seen Phil Hill race, and I can tell you he didn't customarily drive in a hairy, tail-out style, as seen above. He was very composed and tidy in the McLaren-Olds V-8 he was racing that day at Kent, 1965. In the Monaco photo above, I suspect there is oil on the track, or that Phil is deliberately making his car as wide as possible to block the ambitions of the wily Kiwi.

1965 USRRC, Kent, Washington. Phil Hill McLaren-Olds trailing Hap Sharp in Chaparral-Chevy. Don Wester, Genie Mk10-Ford outside. I'm up on the hillside to right. Hill set a new lap record in qualifying for this event.

Phil Hill
WM_Kent-1965-10-10-002.jpg

Looking closely, can you see a plexiglass extension to the rear spoiler, both photos?

Last edited:
The NASCARs of the Superbird era were already tube-framed and had mostly been since the mid-sixties.
Well, technically you're both right. At that time the procedure was to buy a "body in white" (a body and chassis with no interior, engine or suspension) direct from the factory and put in all the racing-specific parts yourself. It wasn't uncommon to see cars that were four or five years old still in the field simply because the guy driving it didn't have the money to build another one with a newer body and only went to the three or four tracks that were the next state over from where they lived.

c98070ac375e1d689056486ad7dced76.jpg

I wish could show you guys some classic motorsport photos my dad took years ago... There's a classic image at the start of the Sandown 500 in I think the late '70s where he actually ran onto the track. He also took a photo of a Porsche 956 in 1983, when the WSC went to Sandown. I really need to ask him, because they are great images.

More JGTC.

1.jpg

1998 All Japan GT Round 2: Fuji

While on the formation lap, the safety car was driven over twice the recommended speed in atrocious conditions. Following this parade lap, the safety car drove through the start/finish line at 150km/h but then suddenly slowed down. This caused 910 Racing's Porsche 911 RSR driven by Tomohiko Sunako to aquaplane and strike the rear of Kaoru Hoshino's 911 GT2. The BMW M3 of Yasushi Hitotsuyama, who was behind, narrowly avoided the Porsche by driving onto the grass and then back to the circuit, while the Porsche struck a barrier and rested on the grass. Shortly after, a caution flag was waved out.

Moments later, the Team Ferrari Club of Japan's Ferrari F355 Challenge driven which was driven by Tetsuya Ota suddenly slowed down, causing it to aquaplane and swerve left directly into Hoshino. Both exploded into a fireball on impact. The Ferrari, after hitting the wall, slid across to the other side of the track and rested at the pit stop exit.

Miraculously, Hoshino managed to stumble out of his car with a fractured right leg, and was quickly attended to by rescue officials.

The RE Amemiya RX-7 driven by Shinichi Yamaji stopped in front of the Ferrari while the other cars drove on. Yamaji used a fire extinguisher from the side of the track to extinguish the fire and then helped to release Ota's safety harness before race marshals arrived.

Ota was trapped in his car for one and a half minutes while exposed to 800-degree temperatures and had to be dragged out of the car by a safety marshal. The marshal laid him onto the ground, which caused his semi-melted visor to sag onto his face. Ota attempted to get up, but fell. During his another attempt, another marshal spotted Ota, picked him up, and bundled him into the circuit's minivan, rather than the ambulance.

Subsequent law suit, from Wikipedia:

Wikipedia
Reports on the incident were filed by the JAF and race organizers. One of the reports stated that Ota did not wear a fire resistant balaclava as required; which he denied. Also, the report stated that the safety team started fighting fire 20 seconds after the accident, but the reality was the flames of Ota's car were first fought by fellow drivers 50 seconds after the crash while Ota was still trapped inside.

As a result, Ota filed a damages suit for about ¥290 million ($2,500,000 US) against seven organizers for their failure to implement proper safety measures in Tokyo District Court in November 1999. Those held liable included circuit operator, Fuji Speedway, series organizer, Japan Automobile Federation (JAF); the race operator, VICIC (Victory Circle Club) and broadcaster TV Tokyo.

On 29 October 2003 six race sponsors and promoters including TV Tokyo, VICIC and Fuji Speedway were found guilty of gross negligence. The success of the lawsuit was due to the recorded TV coverage of the incident which was shown in court. The responsible parties were ordered to pay ¥90 million ($800,000 US) compensation for pain and suffering, on the grounds that their first aid response was poorly prepared and their race marshals were poorly trained. The judge, Tsuyoshi Ono, decided that organizers neglected their responsibility, as Ota was left in his burning vehicle for longer than the 30 seconds in which he should have been out of the car. The organizers had failed to take sufficient precautionary measures, such as having fire engines on standby as is required to extinguish fires and rescue drivers in 30 seconds or less.

The judge determined the pre-race agreement between Ota and the organizers not to pursue legal action in the event of an accident was unacceptable. Despite his written pledge to organizers not to seek compensation in the event of an accident, which all drivers were required to sign, the judge ruled it unfair and said it runs counter to public order and morals. Ono added that the pledge, branded by him as a "death pledge", aims to exempt organizers from responsibility, allowing them to benefit economically from races.

The judge ruled that the safety car was driving at an excessive pace of 150 km/h rather than at the safety pace of 60 km/h, causing the accident when it suddenly slowed down and determined the "fire fighting and rescue preparations were also not up to scratch."

The judge ruled that Ota was partially responsible as he did not decelerate early enough. Ota was satisfied with the outcome.

TV Tokyo denied any responsibility themselves throughout the case, as they did not regard themselves as one of the race organizers. The court found TV Tokyo guilty of gross negligence for attempting to avoid responsibility for its part in the incident.

The claim against JAF was rejected as they could not be held responsible.

The visor...

And footage of the race:

SVX
More JGTC.

1.jpg

1998 All Japan GT Round 2: Fuji

While on the formation lap, the safety car was driven over twice the recommended speed in atrocious conditions. Following this parade lap, the safety car drove through the start/finish line at 150km/h but then suddenly slowed down. This caused 910 Racing's Porsche 911 RSR driven by Tomohiko Sunako to aquaplane and strike the rear of Kaoru Hoshino's 911 GT2. The BMW M3 of Yasushi Hitotsuyama, who was behind, narrowly avoided the Porsche by driving onto the grass and then back to the circuit, while the Porsche struck a barrier and rested on the grass. Shortly after, a caution flag was waved out.

Moments later, the Team Ferrari Club of Japan's Ferrari F355 Challenge driven which was driven by Tetsuya Ota suddenly slowed down, causing it to aquaplane and swerve left directly into Hoshino. Both exploded into a fireball on impact. The Ferrari, after hitting the wall, slid across to the other side of the track and rested at the pit stop exit.

Miraculously, Hoshino managed to stumble out of his car with a fractured right leg, and was quickly attended to by rescue officials.

The RE Amemiya RX-7 driven by Shinichi Yamaji stopped in front of the Ferrari while the other cars drove on. Yamaji used a fire extinguisher from the side of the track to extinguish the fire and then helped to release Ota's safety harness before race marshals arrived.

Ota was trapped in his car for one and a half minutes while exposed to 800-degree temperatures and had to be dragged out of the car by a safety marshal. The marshal laid him onto the ground, which caused his semi-melted visor to sag onto his face. Ota attempted to get up, but fell. During his another attempt, another marshal spotted Ota, picked him up, and bundled him into the circuit's minivan, rather than the ambulance.

Subsequent law suit, from Wikipedia:

The visor...

And footage of the race:

I came across this footage a few years ago now & it sent chills down my spine.

1962 French Grand Prix

Driver: Maurice Trintignant FRA
Car: Lotus 24 (1.5L Coventry-Climax V8)
Finished: 7th

maurice_trintignant__france_1962__by_f1_history-daunwgs.png

1962 Mexican Grand Prix

Drivers: Jack Brabham AUS, Bruce McLaren NZL
Cars: #17 Brabham BT3 (1.5L Coventry-Climax V8), #21 Cooper T60 (1.5L Coventry-Climax V8)
Finished: 3rd, DNF (Engine)

jack_brabham___bruce_mclaren__mexico_1962__by_f1_history-daunqh6.png

1976 Japanese Grand Prix

Driver: James Hunt ENG
Car: McLaren M23 (3.0L Ford-Cosworth V8
Finished: 3rd

james_hunt__japan_1976__by_f1_history-daocm14.jpg

1995 Pacific Grand Prix

Drivers: Jean Alesi FRA, Eddie Irvine IRE, Damon Hill ENG
Cars: #27 Ferrari 412 T2 (3.0L Ferrari V12), #15 Jordan 195 (3.0L Peugeot V10), #5 Williams FW17 (3.0L Renault V10)
Finished: 5th, 11th, 3rd

j__alesi___e__irvine___d__hill__pacific_1995__by_f1_history-daunsfm.jpg

Driver Group Photos

Back Row: Fabi, Piercani, Jones, Brundle, Alboreto, Senna, Johansson, de Cesaris, Berger, Rothengatter, Boutsen, Berg, Nannini, Palmer, Tambay
Front Row: Alliot, Danner, Streiff, Mansell, Piquet, Balestre (FISA), Arnoux, Prost, Rosberg, Dumfries, Warwick, Patrese

drivers___group_photo___adelaide_1986_by_f1_history-d5b75t5.jpg

Back Row: Moreno, Patrese, Suzuki, Gachot, Morbidelli, Capelli, Gugelmin, Balestre (FISA), Senna, Larini, Martini, Tarquini, Lehto, Boutsen, Häkkinen
Front Row: Piquet, Prost, Alesi, Mansell, Berger, Pirro, Modena, Nakajima, Brundle, Blundell, Alboreto, Bernard

91usa05.jpg

Back Row: Irvine, Barrichello, Magnussen, Coulthard, Häkkinen, R Schumacher, Fisichella, Rosset, Sospiri
Middle Row: M Schumacher, Trulli, Katayama, Villeneuve, Frentzen, Nakano, Panis
Front Row: Verstappen, Salo, Diniz, Hill, Larini, Herbert, Berger, Alesi

Good zoom on this one.

1997-start-williams-melbourne.jpg

Back Row: Alesi, Mazzacane, Verstappen, Bernoldi, Villeneuve, Panis, Alonso, Marques
Middle Row: Frentzen, Trulli, Heidfeld, Räikkönen, Irvine, Burti
Front Row: Fisichella, Button, Coulthard, Häkkinen, M Schumacher, Barrichello, Montoya, R Schumacher

2660EB9C00000578-0-image-a-20_1425643590934.jpg

Last edited:
Villeneuve looks so small in the 1997 one :lol:

But I like how the racesuits go white -> white/blue -> blue. Would've been perfect with Irvine & M.Schumacher being on the right side, next to Rosset & Sospiri (blue/red/orange -> red) and R.Schumacher & Fisichella being on the left (yellow -> white/yellow) :D
Yes, I am weird like that.

1986 Back Row: Fabi, Piercani, Jones, Brundle, Alboreto, Senna, Johansson, de Cesaris, Berger, Rothengatter, Boutsen, Berg, Nannini, Palmer, Tambay ;)

*edit* How young does Alonso look in the 2001 line up? :lol:

1986 Back Row: Fabi, Piercani, Jones, Brundle, Alboreto, Senna, Johansson, de Cesaris, Berger, Rothengatter, Boutsen, Berg, Nannini, Palmer, Tambay ;)

👍

*edit* How young does Alonso look in the 2001 line up? :lol:

So young I didn't even recognize him! :lol:

It was his debut season and he was 18/19 at the time.

I think it reflects more on just how long ago the 2001 season was...

Shut up I'm not that old. :lol:

It is interesting to see how a top driver's career is extended in today's era despite the expendability of a midfield driver whose career could be over by 25.

2001 is as far away from 2017 as 1981 was from 1997. No driver from 1981 was still around in 1997 but three drivers from 2001 were still driving last year (Button, Alonso, Räikkönen) and two of those will still be driving next year.

I think it has to do with the technology and how much easier to drive the cars look to be when compared to say, 20-25 years ago. They're faster and cover more races nowadays but ultimately it feels like they're probably less tiring to drive, which logically means they require less energy, which in turn hypothetically means that you can race for a longer period of time. You look at old pictures from the early 80s and the drivers are soaking wet with their balaclavas imprinted on their face after they get out of the car and you compare that to say, Hamilton looking fresh like a daisy nowadays, and you can clearly see there's less effort required, physically at least.

It is interesting to see how a top driver's career is extended in today's era despite the expendability of a midfield driver whose career could be over by 25.

2001 is as far away from 2017 as 1981 was from 1997. No driver from 1981 was still around in 1997 but three drivers from 2001 were still driving last year (Button, Alonso, Räikkönen) and two of those will still be driving next year.

Perhaps that figure seems higher statistically due to more races in a season, but if you do a count of seasons participated in, the Patreses, Bergers, Arnouxs, de Cesariss, Mansells, Alesis, Laudas, Prosts, Coultards and Trullis all had between 17 and 12 seasons in F1.

Back