Close? I'll give ya close! 15 nailbiting laps!

Smallhorses

Staff Emeritus
Wanted a good tight race for my last (in my 4th pass through GT3) Professional League Turbo Cup race, the 15-lapper at Apricot Hill, and here's what I got...... 👍

Took a Midnight Purple Pearl Nissan 240SX Fastback Type x(J) and fully modified the transmission, suspension and brakes.
Gave it an oil change, stage 3 lightweight, stage 3 turbo, and racing intercooler. Rounded out the setup with some T2 Super-Slick tyres that I was hoping would go the full 15 lap distance. Left me with 341HP, PWR of 3.041.
Set the car up with no ASM or TCS and started out from the back of the grid. :)

Lap 1:- A lot of wheelspin as I launched left me trailing the field into the first two bends (T1 & T2), the double apex left. The 240SX on cold tyres is an absolute handful to control, and I have the tail wagging down the hill to the next bend, the
right hander surrounded by sandtraps. Climbing up the hill through T4 and T5 the left followed by blind right the tail is loose again, but I control it and go into the long looping lefthander (T6) and out down the backstraight towards the hairpin (T7.)
Ahead of me, the Skyline leads the RUF, followed by the Impreza, Supra and Lancer. I come up the hill through the gentle left/right (T8 & T9) and down again towards the tighter right (T10) before the infamous sandtrap chicane (T11.) Rounding out the lap through the looping lefthander (T12) out on to the S/F straight, and crossing the line in 6th place and 6th gear at 138mph with a +7.481s margin to the leading Skyline.

Lap 2:- Got very sideways out of T2, and touched the grass outside T5, and meanwhile the Supra has worked his way up to 3rd, but not for long! He overcooks the exit of the T7 hairpin and spins into the sandtrap. As the Impreza rounds the corner, the Supra is facing the wrong way back down the track! There's nothing he can do to avoid the head-on collision :ouch: , which knocks the Supra back into the sand, and allows the Evolution past into 3rd place. I'm in 5th & gaining on the Impreza up the hill as we leave the Supra floundering at the back. Cross the line in 5th place for a lap of 1'29.362 and +11.366s to the leader.

Lap 3:- I'm right on the tail of the Impreza through all the bends up to T6, occasionally backing down to avoid contact. As he runs wide out of T6, I get alongside, but he pulls across the track to keep his AI line, and we touch doors for a split second!He outbrakes me into the hairpin as my tyres are still warming up, and makes use of his 4WD traction to pull away a little as I touch the sand on the outside of the hairpin exit with my 2 outside tyres, which slows me down a little :grumpy: .
The Supra is charging now, and atones for his earlier error by nailing the hairpin and getting a good run on me down to T10. He's held off through the sandtrap chicane, but slips by on the inside of T12, only to run wide into the barrier and allows me to get alongside down S/F straight. I pull back into his slipstream as we cross the line, I'm back to 6th place and +10.663s to the RUF which is now leading.

Lap 4:- Swarm all over the back of the Supra through the first half of the lap, and he blocks me out onto the backstraight, losing me some time, while he gallops off in pursuit of 4th placed Impreza, however, once again and totally unforced, he spins off into the sand at the hairpin :dunce: , allowing me back into 5th. Leave the Supra behind as I resume my chase of the Lancer & Impreza, and cross the line at +10.687s behind the RUF who has the Skyline tugging at his shirt-tails.

Lap 5:- By T5, I've closed right back up on the Impreza who is struggling to find a way past the Lancer. Meanwhile, the Skyline has taken back the lead from the RUF, but he pits at the end of his 5th lap. Show the Impreza the nose of the 240SX going into T11, before backing off to avoid contact again. Get a good line through T12 and look like I'm fixing to pass both cars round the outside, when the both slow up and make the dive for the pit entry. As I cross the line, the timer shows I'm +12.306s behind the RUF. The hapless Supra also dives in for fresh rubber.

Lap 6:- I'm up to 2nd place thanks to pitstops, but probably not for long, as the Skyline exits the pits only a couple of seconds behind me. Then disaster strikes, :odd: and he overpowers the heavy 4WD beast on slippery new rubber out of T2, which sees him spin out and lose some ground on my 2nd place. I keep a clean line through the lap, while the Skyline driver gingerly coaxes the car round the rest of the lap until his tyres warm up. The RUF pits, and I complete a 1'28.089 lap to go into 1st place, with the timer showing the RUF exiting the pits -3.271s behind me, but soon to be passed by the Skyline who is steaming along the pitstraight with a point to prove.

Lap 7:- My fronts are now yellow, and the rears pale green, and the handling has settled down somewhat. Throw in another clean lap in the low 1'28 region and end the lap still in 1st place with only a -1.686s gap to the Skyline, who has left the RUF trailing in 3rd.

Lap 8:- The Skyline matches my tidy lines through turns 1-5, and is looming large in the mirrors through T6, when he aborts an indecisive attempt to go round the outside and runs a little wide. Never fear though, as his superior straighline speed and traction put him right back with me out of T7, he nudges the back of me under braking for T10, but hangs back through the sandtrap and out through T12 onto the pitstraight. He's lapped in 1'26.846 :eek: and finishes the lap just -0.423s behind me.

Lap 9:- He bullies his way past with a few nudges inside of T2 :irked: , and takes off into the distance. A tidy enough lap leaves my +2.301s behind the Skyline, and holding second place.

Lap 10:- Not a bad lap, despite a sideways moment out of T5, and running wide of T12. The Skyline's tyres are shot and he's unable to capitalise further on his lead before diving into the pits. I cross the line back up into 1st place again, with a -6.345s gap to the 2nd placed RUF. The Impreza, Lancer and last placed Supra also pit again.

Lap 11:- The Skyline exits the pits in 3rd, and once again pulls an almost perfect 360 degree spin out of T2, which sets him back a little. I have an extremely hairy moment exiting the hairpin and narrowly avoid having the car rotate completely. Fishtailing wildly up the hill through T8 & T9, I calm the car down again. I'm gentler through the rest of the lap on front tyres that are now starting to turn orange, and the RUF closes the gap to -5.004s.

Lap 12:- The RUF's tyres are shot, and he doesn't gain any further before diving into the pits at the end of the lap, with the Skyline tearing strips out of his 2nd place. I finish a relatively incident free lap in 1st place at 1'28.712, while the Skyline completes a screaming :bowdown: 1'25.410 :scared: to leave the gap at -11.050s back to him in 2nd place, with 3 laps to go, and tyres which are looking much better than mine!

Lap 13:- 1st place & a clean lap of 1'29.849, and the 240SX is becoming tricky to handle on fully orange front tyres. The Skyline pops in another mid 1'25 lap and closes up by almost 5 seconds in one lap, to leave a gap of -6.945s back to him in 2nd place.

Lap 14:- Another clean lap, and I pass the Supra, to put him 1 lap down after he spins at the hairpin again, coming up the hill through T8 & T9. The Supra gets right back on the pace and steams past me again as we cross the line. The gap back to the Skyline in 2nd place is now only -2.855s, :nervous: and he's put in a high 1'25 compared with my low 1'30 on deteriorating tyres.

Lap 15:- I'm once again swarming all over the back of the Supra through most of the lap. I get a little tailslide up onto the rumble strip out of the hairpin, while the Supra gets it right for once, and moves off into the distance. Meanwhile, the Skyline is gaining on me, but much less forcefully, as his 3rd set of tyres are getting worn. The Supra pits, and goes a lap down as I head across the line for a 1'29.948 final lap, with the Skyline just coming up into my slipstream after a 1'27.840 lap, and with my right front tyre practically turning red, I win by just 0.747s! WOW!!!! :cool:

Finish:-
1 Nissan 240SX Fastback Type X(J) 22'29.650
2 Nissan Skyline GT-R V-spec II (R34,J) +0'00.747
3 RUF CTR2 +0'18.340
4 Subaru Impreza WRX STi(J) +0'47.204
5 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VII GSR(J) +0'48.378
6 Toyota Supra RZ(J) +1 Lap

There you go, very detailed, wrote it from watching the replay in various views from different cars. Hope you liked it. :cheers: Smallhorses.

Back