Cobra's '04 Mach 1 Mustang

Which car to buy?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
United Kingdom
YorkshireLand
SVTlover
Right.

I've been looking at buying a 2.8 injection Ford Capri for a while now and most of the ones I've been to see haven't been very good and I've walked away feeling disappointed.

Now I've seen there is a 1989 Pontiac Firebird Formula for sale within my budget and the insurance quote I received was reasonable for me. However the same insurance company quoted me over £200 less for a Capri.

So what do I do?

Buy a 2.8 injection Capri for £5-7k ($7-10k) and pay around £600 ($900) insurance per year
Or
Buy a Firebird 5.0 for £6.5k ($8.5k) and pay around £800 ($1100) insurance per year.

I love both these cars so that's why I'm struggling with my decision. I've drawn up pros and cons for both cars with regards to maintenance and fuel consumption/gas mileage. But I'm still stuck.

Capri. Lighter car, uses less fuel and in UK it's probably easier to find parts for Ford than any GM product.

Get the firebird, you won't regret it, if they drive very nice for the year and handle pretty well. I'd imagine they are extremely rare over there also.

Get the Capri, with fuel being what it is you'll end up putting all your money into gasoline so you'd be reluctant to drive the Firebird.

A gas guzzling 5 litre really isn't practical anymore, yeah it's novel but I'd definitely advise steering towards the Capri, plus Capri's are becoming classics and will only go up in value.

I'd have to agree with getting a Capri. As much as I love the Firebird, it wouldn't be practical over here with fuel prices and such. Plus, like @Leonidae@MFT said, you'd have a much better time finding Capri parts rather than Firebird parts.

If you do get the Capri, I'll try and keep an eye out for it this time. :P

Go for the Capri. As said, fuel is getting expensive and you need a car to help on that. Then sourcing parts on the UK for the Capri is lot easier.

The Firebird is a car to keep original and stock where the Capri has a few interesting mods for you to work on it as a project car in spare time, or at least is what I would do.

The best of luck on your new car.

I can see the trend of US members on here saying to go for the Firebird and Euro/Australia members saying the Capri.

For those who've mentioned fuel, it wouldn't be too much of an issue, it wouldn't be used everyday as I would probably make most use of the Up whilst I have 1 years free insurance on it.

I think I'm leaning toward the Capri as I've already got my hear set on some Ford shows this year and the insurance is slightly cheaper. However I think I will have to check the prices. Phoned another company and they would not insure me at all.

For those who've mentioned fuel, it wouldn't be too much of an issue, it wouldn't be used everyday as I would probably make most use of the Up whilst I have 1 years free insurance on it.

Just because something's viable, doesn't mean it makes sense - I can afford to drive my XR8 Ute every day, but that doesn't mean I do =P Spending less money on fuel means you have more money for making your car better and what could be better than that? 👍

To be honest, I doubt there's a massive difference in fuel economy between the two. The 2.8 injection isn't exactly frugal.

Well I am taking a trip down to Goodwood tomorrow where there is a silver 2.8i which has been looked after by a classic car dealer. Then looking at one in Bristol for a bit more money but with less mileage.

Then if we have time, go and look at that Firebird.

Pictures will follow next week.

If you go for the Capri you'll also be buying a car who's value is rising fast. I would imagine an immaculate 2.8i will be worth considerably more in 5 years time, whereas I wouldn't be so confident in that happening with a Firebird, especially in the UK. And there's a reason for this, 70s and 80s Fords are very cool here, they're easy to maintain, parts are everywhere and they drive well. For the money you'd also get a Capri in far better condition than a Firebird.

If it were me I'd be hunting down an A1 condition 2.8i or 280 Brooklands. Also, the MKIIs are cheaper than the MKI's, so works out perfectly for you.

Hmm, yes. That's certainly looks in good nick so I can see the dilemma. In which case it's down to how comfortable you are with driving and owning both. Have you taken the Firebird out for a test drive yet? Could be the deciding factor here. BTW, were you looking for a manual or automatic Capri?

Depends where you're driving the car a lot but left hand drive could be a pain in the back side. Capri is a British muscle car, plus like has been said before will be a lot easier and quicker to get parts for the Capri. Plus a Capri will prob be a future classic where as the Firebird I'm not so sure. Esp in this country.

Hmm, yes. That's certainly looks in good nick so I can see the dilemma. In which case it's down to how comfortable you are with driving and owning both. Have you taken the Firebird out for a test drive yet? Could be the deciding factor here. BTW, were you looking for a manual or automatic Capri?

Haven't been to see it yet, might possibly see it tomorrow after the two Capris. I'd be comfortable with owning both, I've wanted a V8 since I was 13. But since I've had my Capri I've loved them a lot. I'd prefer a manual Capri, been told that Auto 2.8s are rare but unwanted and because they're only 3 speed it's not ideal for that engine.

You can always put in a 4 speed in like I did with the beauty next to me. A lot of hassle and quite a cost but well worth it.

I could do but that would ruin the originality and I could save the time, money and effort and just buy a manual model.

Haven't been to see it yet, might possibly see it tomorrow after the two Capris. I'd be comfortable with owning both, I've wanted a V8 since I was 13. But since I've had my Capri I've loved them a lot. I'd prefer a manual Capri, been told that Auto 2.8s are rare but unwanted and because they're only 3 speed it's not ideal for that engine.

Just don't get swayed too much by what people put here. Both will be fun cars, so just get the one that you most want. You don't want to go for one based on what people have said here only to regret it and long for the other. 👍

Dude. Call it between a rock and a hard place...

For the Fuel economy, you could always go for a bio diesl or LPG conversion, as driving either one of those won't be cheap in fuel/oil :lol:
Also really depends how much you will drive it...

While I love the Capri, I would only go with the top tier model, and the Firebird, warp it Black = Knight Rider

Yep, I've had time to think about this now and my personal opinion is always going to be go with the über-cool Capri, that Firebird's styling just doesn't cut it for me, not to mention parts issues in the UK.

On the other plus side if you ever visit Cornwall you might be able to use the Capri but the Firebird would be difficult down some of those lanes...

Get the Firebird. You hardly see any of them in the UK, and although seeing a Capri nowadays is hardly a common thing, a Firebird is a far more interesting choice.

Would have to be the Capri for me. The Firebird is novel but it really wont drive well on our twisty, narrow, uneven roads. I'm not going to pretend that the Capri is the best handling car in the world either but it is at least partly tuned for our roads and as @axletramp has said, a good one should appreciate in value provided you take care of it.

Heart vs minds thing, hateful situation to be in but it'd be an easy call for me

On the other plus side if you ever visit Cornwall you might be able to use the Capri but the Firebird would be difficult down some of those lanes...

The Firebird is novel but it really wont drive well on our twisty, narrow, uneven roads.

See. This excuse has never bothered me in the slightest. I've never driven my Capri down 'twisty' 'narrow' roads. I spend most of my time dodging potholes on main roads. Everytime I hear someone say 'an American car is too big for UK B roads' my answer is always 'Barely any modern car is the right size for a B road'.

I live in Herefordshire and we have a lot of narrow country lanes. I suppose Yorkshire hasn't got the lots and lots of narrow lanes like we have down here. You have less potholes up there then we got down here I'm sure too. Like the other chap said, follow your heart rather than what anyone else says. I have a Civic as my main car because its faster than a golf, cheaper to run, better looking, easier to work on, better handling, cheaper insurance and because it's designed in Italy and built in Britain.

Back