Cockpit Commentary

• Thread starter SandStorm
  • 40 comments

SandStorm

(Banned)
Cockpit Commentary is a thread of my own where I will be posting write-ups for the next few weeks. If you check back here often, you'll find write-ups which may have some useful hints or pitting strategies in them.

I'll be starting the Vitz Pro league shortly, stay tuned for the write-up.

No, it won't finish with prize car = Vitz. I promise. Thanks for those settings, by the way.

Okay, first writeup. I decided to take the 787B to the Japanese Car Championship to see just how far I could beat the competition by. I think my lowest margini was about 30 seconds.

I found SSR11 quite challenging. It's smooth mix of tight corners and long straight make for a whole lot of fun. i think I only brushed the wall twice in the whole race.

787B@Apricot Hill is not a good mix - it doesn't turn properly when untuned, but it's only subtle, so when you realise you are not going to make the turn, it's almost always too late. So you jam on the brakes, ease it back on track and wait for the thing to go off again. i really need some settings for the 787B. :irked:

Now for the fist true write-up in this thread.

I started Dream car Cup in Pro League today with the Polyphony001, and expected to win each race by at least half a lap. I was surprised to find out exactly how far i won each race by - in each race I contested, I won by over a lap. This was just basically a whole practice session but with goodies like money and prize cars at the end of it.

First Race: Test Course
Approach to Race: "Stomp it and turn"

Well, for the first race of the Dream Car Cup I decide to go as hard as I could. I lifted all downforce and used manual transmission (only for the speed). I didn't bother qualifying.

At the start, I forgot to hit the gear-change button because I wasn't used to manual ( :banghead: ). I got it together and took off into the wind.

On lap 8 I pitted. Coming out on freshies I approached a lap car and was surprised to see my speed increase to over 385 kilometres per hour. I quickly upshifted to 6th to avoid hitting the rev-limiter, and swerved so I wouldn't smash into the car in front of me. After passing the car, my speed began to drop once more, so I downshifted into 5th once more.

I won the race by an overall distance of about a lap and a half.

Second Race: Grand Valley.
Approach to Race: "Tyre conservation? What's tyre conservation?"

This race I really put my tyres' durability to the test. I was raking in best lap times on borderline orange/red tyres.

At the start of the race I got jammed between two cars and ended up running wide at the first corner. But I gathered it up and went smoking off down the road in the general direction of the next hairpin.

Come lap 5 my tyres were so shoddy that I had to pit, I was running wide at nearly every corner. I pitted every 5 laps.

Lap 7 I started to lap cars, and a couple of times got into a bit a "mingle" with the Altezza and ZZII, resulting in me bouncing off a wall.

I ended up with a best lap time of around 1'27.0xx, which is my best lap time on this track with an untuned Poly. Hey, like I said, it's just a practice session! :D

Race Three: Trial Mountain
Approach to Race: "Remember your strategy, Tony"

I practiced my tyre conservation in this race, ie slow laps. I only pulled in lap times of around 1'18.xxx consistently. I went for a best lap on the last lap, with red tyres. I managed a 1'11.xxx.

Final win margin 1.5 laps.

More reports to come.

Sandstorm, can I suggest you do extensive testing at test track. I have and my car does close to 385 without drafting. You would find this speed handy at Formula GT.

This is by widening the gears and playing wit final drive.

I've already completed Formula GT. :D

And plus, my car's done in excess of 2K kilometres and is down on hp - 813, to be precise.

And what's this about playing with gears? Do you fu'ck around with the final gear settings to get more speed out of the thing?

What I found was that with either the auto gear settings or manually changing 6th I only got so far. Lets say 380kph. I then played with final drive and also 6th gear and for some strange reason I got it up to 387kph.

That's strange, because with me, 6th gear will drop off speed. I always use manual at Test Course so i can keep it in 5th and maintain my speed.

Originally posted by SandStorm
That's strange, because with me, 6th gear will drop off speed. I always use manual at Test Course so i can keep it in 5th and maintain my speed.

You have your gear settings too wide. Bring the ratio of 6th closer to 5th. ie 6th gear on my test track setting is only about half a gear higher than 5th not a full gear higher.

Sorry? Glaze my nipples and call me Rita, but what do you mean, half a gear closer? Do you mean I should take my 6th gear setting further towards the left?

I have a set of gears in front of me. They are not for the test track but we can use them as an illustration.

5th = 1.569
6th = 1.303 (drop of 0.266) ie 1.303 + 0.266 = 1.569

Lets say that with those gears when you change to 6th your car struggles and actually loses speed.

If you make 6th gear something like 1.439 you can get more top end speed than your 5th gear and your engine won't struggle.

You will see that 6th gear ratio in the original example drops 0.266 from the 5th gear ratio. I am suggesting drop it by about 0.130 instead. This is what I meant by it being like only half an extra gear.

I just thought I would add that you can get the same result by setting 5th gear with a low ratio ie the 1.4. Or when using auto settings try the widest possible and test. If the car can't accelerate in 6th then you go one auto setting to the left and then test. And keep moving the auto setting to the left until you get the best top end speed. This will get you roughly to the most ideal setting and you can fine tune from there if necessary.

I have only won 1 test track race with an F1 against the top cars ie R390 and it was a struggle.

I used the GT One on Like the Wind to make sure I won that on the first attempt.

Originally posted by SandStorm
I used the 'Scud. :D

I almost used a RUF. With the widest gears it went about 4??kph and it still had some accelerating in it so I was going to widen the final drive to see how quick I could get it.

With some cars, they clock over 400kph, but come the turn are still accelerating. It's annoting that you can't get to see what speed they top out at.

They must be close to 4kms. The whole track is 8.3. Actually I have just realised that test track is longer than AVUS. Test track is 10.3kms so the straights would probably be similar. And of course you need to have a parachute to stop at the end on AVUS.

Back