Colin McRae 2 (PC) vs WRC (PS2)

• Thread starter vat_man
  • 9 comments

vat_man

Staff Emeritus
Sniffing around a local game shop today I picked up a cheap copy Colin McRae 2 for the PC - for an interesting comparo to WRC for the PS2.

The games are actually quite close, although I'd be inclined to give CMR2 the nod.

Graphics
CMR on a decent PC (AMD 1600) is definitely sharper, but doesn't quite have the flowing frame rate of WRC, although at high speed through the forest CMR does a great 'oh man this is definitely far too fast, I'm gunna get hurt'. Cars look much sharper in CMR. However, you get more realistic terrain in WRC, even if it's not quite there graphically.

Damage
The CMR cars sustain more realistic damage. You wince when it hits stuff.

Handling
Okay - this will freak you. The actually physics model of WRC is better than CMR - but, the force-feedback through the wheel in CMR (thank you USB for this great GT3 Logitech Wheel gift on the PC!) is fantastic - you feel the steering get heavy as it loads up through the gravel, but if you cut across the grass the wheel becomes light as the front wheels slide across the turf. So, WRC has better handling, CMR has better steering.

Gameplay
Sorry - CMR has it all over WRC here. WRC is too easy, and the head-to-head is a joke. CMR has rally, an arcade mode, and a network gaming mode. Don't forget internet support!

So, kiddies, if you have access to a PC, I'd probably be inclined to recommend CMR2 over WRC. If you have a PS2, I'd suggest thinking about waiting for Colin McRae 3...

Colin McRae Rally 2.0 (PC) 10/10 - Though it hasn't got all the official drivers, you can downloads endless mods !

WRC (PS2) 7/10 - What I thought was going to be a decent game turned out to be the most unrealistic rally game I've ever played, even CMR1 has ambiant effects, this dosn't ! Nice graphics though :)

I'll probably get TOCA Pro Race Driver in PS2 format - bit more robust and less inclined to crash or slowdown - plus I can play swapsies with a mate of mine at work.

Originally posted by F2002
CMR3 comes out June 2002, I'm waiting for Toca Race Driver which is out next month :D

June! Yippeee!! Haven't played much GT3 recently, will have to get back on it to achieve my goal! :)

I'm very glad TOCA is coming out AFTER my grad. dip exams - I can see that game absorbing enormous amounts of my time...

Back