College Basketball: 2020-2021 Season (Men and Women)

• Thread starter JohnBM01
  • 26 comments

JohnBM01

20 years!
Premium
United States
Houston, Texas, USA
JMarine25
Time to hoop it up college style again! This is the thread to discuss college hoops in the 2020-2021 season. It has been reported that college basketball will commence in this season even with the different measures in light of the COVID-19/Coronavirus pandemic. I will be very interested to see how teams handle the whole deal. By the way, the main 68-team tournament layout will remain, as opposed to the ACC proclaiming to have all NCAA Division 1 schools (~340 D1 schools) in the March Madness tournament.

I am posting this because of an update I saw on ESPN2's Bottom Line recently suggesting the 2020-2021 college basketball season will begin November 25. Around this time normally, a lot of the early season college basketball tournaments (such as the Maui Invitational) would have concluded or still be ongoing.

So let's talk college hoops!

There will be 18 games to be played in the Mountain West for basketball starting on December 29 for the men and December 31 for the women. At least we know of one conference who will be playing college basketball. So we'll have to know how other leagues will handle what will be an unusual season of college basketball.

The NBA and NHL operated under "bubbles" during the COVID-19/Coronavirus pandemic. The NCAA too? Word has it that this season's March Madness tournament could take place all in one arena. I'm hearing either the University of Dayton or someplace in Indianapolis could host every game of the NCAA basketball tournament this season. As one would imagine, all players and staff and such will be screened endlessly to ensure safety of the players and staff.

Former Louisville coach turned Iona College coach Rick Pitino suggested the postseason tournament should take place in May to help in the surge in COVID-19/Coronavirus cases nationwide. I usually call May in the IndyCar Series as "May Madness" with the Indy 500 and the Grand Prix race at Indy. Well, Pitino's suggesting a "May Madness" for college basketball.

We'll see how this all goes. Most of the action for this season will begin later this month for men and women.

We've seen how college football has tried to manage this COVID-19/Coronavirus deal. Now starting this week, a number of college basketball teams will have their way with the pandemic. Time to see how this pandemic affects the college basketball scene aside from the various football matches.

A lot of college basketball is happening today. So now that we are seeing how college football is handling the COVID-19/Coronavirus pandemic, it's college basketball's turn now. Among some of the games on today:

* Fairfield at Providence
* UMBC at Georgetown
* Illinois State at Ohio State
* Oklahoma State at Texas-Arlington
* Memphis vs. St. Mary's (Bad Boy Mowers Crossover Classic)
* Bowling Green State at Michigan

Enjoy some college hoops this holiday week!

This is embarrassing. Did you know that Fort Hays State defeated Kansas State recently? Fort Hays State is an NCAA Division 2 school. The Kansas State Wildcats lost to a winless (at the time) Division 2 school on their floor. When I was poking around YouTube, I saw a video of Kansas State's fail hosting the Tigers of Fort Hays State. I even heard Fort Hays State NEVER TRAILED the entire game! They ended up winning 81-68. I think Fort Hays State has a football program, and I'm sure K-State would destroy Fort Hays State in football. This was a shame if you're a fan of the Kansas State Wildcats... or maybe even the Big XII in general.

Coach K of Duke was debating whether or not this season should go on any further due to so many games getting cancelled due to COVID-19/Coronavirus. I have my qualms about this season continuing myself. What say you?

It is being reported that the entire NCAA Division 1 Women's Basketball tournament for this season will all be held in one location. That location may likely be San Antonio, Texas. I think the men's tournament is still slated for either Dayton or maybe even Indianapolis.

The University of Houston's men's basketball team suffered their first loss of the season. They lost 65-64 at Tulsa today. Houston was the 5th ranked team in NCAA Division 1 men's basketball.

Besides this, welcome to Division 1, Dixie State! Dixie State University is a school in Utah that plays in the WAC in basketball. I Think they play their football in the Big Sky. I heard of Dixie State when they recently played at Gonzaga University.

No. 8 Texas destroyed no. 3 Kansas 84-59 at Kansas today. It's tough to win at Kansas in basketball. The Longhorns got something going right now so far this season in taking down the Kansas Jayhawks.

Roy Williams became the fastest to reach 900 coaching wins after his North Carolina Tar Heels won at No. 11 Florida State 78-70 yesterday. It took Roy Williams 1,161 games to reach this milestone.

...and then, there was one. Baylor University was finally bested as No. 17 Kansas defeated Baylor yesterday, leaving Gonzaga as the only undefeated team this season. Baylor went down in flames 71-58. The Baylor coach credited the loss mostly due to a long layoff from COVID-19/Coronavirus issues. Gonzaga University, meanwhile, cruised past the visiting Lions of Loyola Marymount University 86-69.

I don't know if you noticed this or not, but this basically the home stretch of the regular season. It will soon be time to start thinking about the tournament brackets.

The NCAA Tournament field has been set! Even despite the madness of COVID-19/Coronavirus, there still was quite a lot of teams that have proven themselves enough to make the NCAA Tournament. Here is this season's field.

Remember that all of this season's games will be held in Indiana with the whole COVID-19/Coronavirus protocols in play. The Final Four will be in Indianapolis, Indiana.

--- WEST REGION ---
(Saturday and Monday)
#1 Gonzaga vs. #16 (Norfolk State/Appalachian State)
#8 Oklahoma vs. #9 Missouri

(Saturday and Monday)
#5 Creighton vs. #12 UC-Santa Barbara
#4 Virginia vs. #13 Ohio

(Saturday and Monday)
#6 USCal vs. #11 (Wichita State/Drake)
#3 Kansas vs. #14 Eastern Washington

(Saturday and Monday)
#7 Oregon vs. #10 VCU
#2 Iowa vs. #15 Grand Canyon

--- SOUTH REGION ---
(Friday and Friday)
#1 Baylor vs. #16 Hartford
#8 Horth Carolina vs. #9 Wisconsin

(Friday and Friday)
#5 Villanova vs. #12 Winthrop
#4 Purdue vs. #13 North Texas

(Friday and Friday)
#6 Texas Tech vs. #11 Utah State
#3 Arkansas vs. #14 Colgate

(Friday and Sunday)
#7 Florida vs. #10 Virginia Tech
#2 Ohio State vs. #15 Oral Roberts

--- MIDWEST REGION ---
(Friday and Sunday)
#1 Illinois vs. #16 Drexel
#8 Loyola-UC vs. #9 Georgia Tech

(Friday and Sunday)
#5 Tennessee vs. #12 Oregon State
#4 Oklahoma State vs. #13 Liberty

(Friday and Sunday)
#6 San Diego State vs. #11 Syracuse
#3 West Virginia vs. #14 Morehead State

(Friday and Sunday)
#7 Clemson vs. #10 Rutgers
#2 Houston vs. #15 Cleveland State

--- EAST REGION ---
(Saturday and Monday)
#1 Michigan vs. #16 (Mount St. Mary's/Texas Southern)
#8 LSU vs. #9 St. Bonaventure

(Saturday and Monday)
#5 Colorado vs. #12 Georgetown
#4 Florida State vs. #13 UNC-Greensboro

(Saturday and Monday)
#6 BYU vs. #11 (Michigan State/UCLA)
#3 Texas vs. #14 Abilene Christian

(Saturday and Monday)
#7 Connecticut vs. #10 Maryland
#2 Alabama vs. #15 Iona

LAST FOUR IN: Michigan State, UCLA, Wichita State, and Drake
LAST FOUR OUT: Louisville, Colorado State, Saint Louis, Ole Miss

You have to feel for schools like Kansas and Virginia (among others) who had to skip such things because of positive case amnog the pandemic. I will make changes to this post if any misinformation is provided. Anyhow, that is your field for this season's NCAA Division 1 men's basketball tournament. Enjoy March Madness!

Meanwhile... my Houston Cougars knocked off Cleveland State 87-56. They will get the winners of Clemson vs. Rutgers.

Oh, and if you had THE Ohio State going far, your bracket got busted by the No. 15 Golden Eagles of Oral Roberts. This No. 2 went down to the religious non-football school from Tulsa, Oklahoma.

The Texas Longhorns are DONE. The No. 14 Bearcats of Abilene Christian University shocked the No. 3 Texas Longhorns with a 53-52 victory. Texas won the Big XII championship for the first time after winning the Southwest Conference multiple times. Now, the Longhorns, after an amazing regular season, have fallen in crushing fashion. Great job by Abilene Christian on this mega win! #NCAA #MarchMadness

One thing I feared about this season's NCAA Tournament came to fruition. You see, No. 10 Virginia Commonwealth and No. 7 Oregon were set to compete. However, because of positive COVID-19/Coronavirus cases among VCU, Oregon advanced no contest. Oregon will meet Iowa in the Round of 32 after Iowa hammered Grand Canyon. My sort of nightmare: let's say we have the National Championship game and one or both teams have positive COVID-19/Coronavirus cases. That could mean one team could win the National Championship thanks to forfeit from the other team. Or what if both teams have positive cases? We might not even have a proper National Champion!

The Tournament is still an ongoing one on the men's side and women's side. Hopefully your bracket is still intact.

Congratulations to your Cougars for making it to the Final Four, @JohnBM01! Huge accomplishment and well deserved for your team.

I hope you guys win it all. :cheers:

Last edited:
Congratulations to your Cougers for making it to the Final Four, @JohnBM01! Huge accomplishment and well deserved for your team.

I hope you guys win it all. :cheers:

Jordan, I absolutely hope so, but... I am so uncertain about this Tournament. I'm glad we made this far, though. Kelvin Sampson has been a ballin' coach for UH through his tenure. Phi Slamma Jamma was one of the greatest teams in college basketball history. The one they COULDN'T do, though, was win the National Championship. They failed against North Carolina State in 1983, then Georgetown in 1984. Maybe this UH team can do what Phi Slamma Jamma couldn't. First, they have to win their Final Four match against the Baylor/Arkansas winner.

Thanks, though! Oh, and... to correct your typo, it's "Cougars." Or "Coogs." ;)

[UPDATE] Houston's next match: No. 2 Houston vs. No. 1 Baylor. Assuring a Texas team will be in the Championship game (COVID-19/Coronavirus pending).

Last edited:
How, just how did UCLA beat Michigan? Having an 11 seed in the Final Four is nuts. This hasn't happened since what? 2010 or something like that? I want to say it was VCU over Kansas or something equally as improbable as that.

Thankfully my money bracket is 3 for 4 regarding the Final Four so hopefully, Gonzaga wins outright so I can cash-in. My work bracket though...sad Big Ten noises. I had Michigan and Ohio State for the Championship with Michigan winning. Oh well, I just miss out on the coveted team trophy and at least I faired better than all the BYU fans I work with that built their brackets on hopes and dreams (or the one Utah State fan :lol: ).

Ladies and gentlemen, we have our Final Four for the 2020-2021 season of college basketball! Here are your matches:

* MEN'S FINAL FOUR: #1 Baylor vs. #2 Houston; #1 Gonzaga vs. #11 UCLA
* WOMEN's FINAL FOUR: #1 Stanford vs. #1 South Carolina; #1 Connecticut vs. #3 Arizona

The Women's Final Four begins first this Friday from the Alamodome in San Antonio, Texas. The Men's Final Four begins Saturday at Lucas Oil Stadium in Indianapolis, Indiana. I listed the games as to which ones start first. Enjoy the Final Four! #NCAA #NCAAB #NCAAW #MarchMadness

My work bracket though...sad Big Ten noises.
I haven't made out a bracket in years, but I agree about your second sentiment being a Purdue Alum. The Big Ten put a ton of teams in the tournament this year and failed miserably. :(

I wish Roy Williams the best in his retirement. He's amassed a total of over 900 wins; not to mention 400 wins at different schools. The 70-year old coach of the University of North Carolina is surely one of the best ever.

Tonight begins the Final Four! Only... the Women's Final Four is forthcoming. Tonight's matches:

* #1 South Carolina vs. #1 Stanford
* #3 Arizona vs. #1 Connecticut

Should you be checking out the Women's Final Four, I hope you enjoy tonight's action! I am sorry I haven't highlighted on women's college basketball much during this time. I usually try incorporating men's and women's college basketball.

Final Four time! We're down to four teams on the men's side. The winners of today's games will play on Monday for the National Championship. The losers... well, they're done.

* #2 Houston will look to build upon an amazing season when Baylor opposes them in a Texas showdown.
* #1 Baylor will look to make good on their season in the men's first Final Four since 1950(?) facing Houston.
* #1 Gonzaga looks to complete their dream season and remain undefeated when UCLA comes calling.
* #11 UCLA will look to upstage and shock Gonzaga

These two games are going to be hotly contested. At this point, there are no real "upsets"- you're an established team. You may even just be lucky to get here. All that matters is that you've shown to be among the proper powers of college basketball. Congratulations if you have any or all four of the Final Four teams selected!

On the women's side, Arizona advanced to their first-ever Women's National Championship game by stunning No. 1 UConn. Paige Bueckers of UConn became the first-ever freshman AP Player of the Year. Stanford survives a rally by South Carolina to advance to the Championship game. So on the women's side, we have Arizona vs. Stanford for the National Championship.

Enjoy some college basketball!

Final Four, and no more. #2 Houston is DONE after falling hard to #1 Baylor 78-59. It wasn't like Baylor was overrated or anything. They were clearly the better team. The Houston Cougars still should be commended for a job well done all season. Players were even crying knowing their dreams were crushed. So forget a National Championship chance for UH- they're done. Baylor will get the winner of Gonzaga/UCLA in the National Championship game. But once again- congratulations to the Baylor Bears; but more importantly, congratulations to the University of Houston on a fabulous 2020-2021 season.

Great shame, but what can I do about it? Gonzaga vs. UCLA to determine who'll meet Baylor on Monday.

I was pulling for you guys but it wasn't enough, @JohnBM01. Still, what a great season for Houston. 👍

That Gonzaga/UCLA game was one of the best college basketball games I have seen in a long time. :eek:

Last night, it was the Stanford Lady Cardinal defeating the Arizona Lady Wildcats 54-53 in the National Championship game last night. Stanford earned their first National Championship in NCAA Division 1 Women's Basketball since 1992.

Tonight could be perfection for Gonzaga... or Baylor proving its men's team is just as great as its women's basketball program. Tonight in Indianapolis, it's the Gonzaga Bulldogs vs. the Baylor Bears for the National Championship. Our National Champion in NCAA Division 1 Men's Basketball will come from either the state of Washington or the state of Texas. We shall see who wins tonight.

On a different note, University of Houston head coach, Kelvin Sampson, won the Coach of the Year award. It was well deserved as the Houston Cougars have become a lot more relevant in recent times. Houston's run in March Madness ended with Baylor blitzing Houston in their Final Four match.

Enjoy tonight's action!

Baylor University is your National Champion for the 2020-2021 season! Gonzaga's bid at finishing the season undefeated and winning the National Championship... came up VERY short, losing 86-70. So no perfection for the Gonzaga Bulldogs. The religious non-football school from Spokane, Washington lost to the Baptist university in Waco, Texas in Baylor. Congratulations to the Baylor Bears on a job well done! Now I'm sure the University of Houston feels worse letting Baylor smash them and then win the National Championship.

Now I'm sure the University of Houston feels worse letting Baylor smash them and then win the National Championship.
Ah, I wouldn't say that. If you're going to lose, it's always best to lose to the best. Baylor is just an amazing basketball team this season.

Back