College Basketball 2021-2022 Season (Men and Women)

• Thread starter JohnBM01
  • 55 comments

JohnBM01

20 years!
Premium
United States
Houston, Texas, USA
JMarine25
I am sorry I have not made a thread for this upcoming season of college basketball until now! GTPlanet, this is your thread to discuss college basketball from the early games to the final game of the NCAA Tournament (and other college basketball).

Let me begin by sharing Preseason Top 25 lists.

--- 2021 Preseason AP Top 25: Men ---
01 - Gonzaga
02 - UCLA
03 - Kansas
04 - Villanova
05 - Texas
06 - Michigan
07 - Purdue
08 - Baylor <<< defending NCAA Div. 1 Men's National Champions
09 - Duke
10 - Kentucky
11 - Illinois
12 - Memphis
13 - Oregon
14 - Alabama
15 - Houston
16 - Arkansas
17 - Ohio State
18 - Tennessee
19 - North Carolina
20 - Florida State
21 - Maryland
22 - Auburn
23 - St. Bonaventure
24 - Connecticut
25 - Virginia

--- 2021 Preseason AP Top 25: Women ---
01 - South Carolina
02 - Connecticut
03 - Stanford <<< defending NCAA Div. 1 Women's National Champions
04 - Maryland
05 - North Carolina State
06 - Louisville
07 - Baylor
08 - Indiana
09 - Iowa
10 - Oregon
11 - Michigan
12 - Iowa State
13 - Kentucky
14 - Oregon State
15 - Tennessee
16 - Florida State
17 - Ohio State
18 - Georgia Tech
19 - West Virginia
20 - UCLA
21 - South Florida
22 - Arizona
23 - Texas A&M
24 - Virginia Tech
25 - Texas

So who all will be the Champions of collegiate hoops this season? We'll find out in the coming months! Tip off of the new season is NOW!

Last edited:
College is in session. College BASKETBALL, that is! We have a lot of games on the men's and women's sides tonight.

As part of the Champions Classic, we have these two matches to be shown on ESPN:

• #3 Kansas vs. Michigan State
  • #10 Kentucky vs. #9 Duke

On the women's side, we got a BIG match tonight. It's #1 South Carolina vs. #5 North Carolina State.

Enjoy whatever college basketball you get into!

The Boilers are looking good again this year. Sitting at 5-0 and ranked #3 after wins over UNC and 'Nova to win the Hall of Fame Tip-Off Tournament.

Purdue ballin' of late, eh? The Big Ten can be pretty tough. Purdue's success in the B1G can depend on how they do against Michigan, Michigan State, Ohio State, Indiana, and some of the other Big Ten powers.

Meanwhile, my Houston Cougars took down the Butler Bulldogs 70-52 today. UH is 12th in the nation in men's hoops. Houston made the Final Four last season. Their journey ended after getting smashed by eventual National Champions, Baylor.

Iowa gave a scare late in the game, but Purdue held on to go 8-0 and will be ranked #1 for the first time in school history. Woohoo! :D

Meanwhile @JohnBM01's Cougars put a beatdown on the Bryant Bulldogs (who I'd honestly never heard of) 111-44 and have improved to 7-1. Well done to them. 👍

Last edited:
Wow... UH beating Bryant was what I expected, but not by THAT much! And cheers to Purdue also!

Look at Dolph Drago's Purdue Boilermakers! For the first time in school history, Purdue is No. 1 in the nation. Not Duke. Not North Carolina. Not Indiana. Not Gonzaga. Not Michigan State. Not UCLA. Purdue University is atops the mens NCAA Division 1 Men's Basketball world. As we all know, though, college basketball is a much different animal than college football. Purdue has that No. 1 pressure on them. How will they channel that energy? Could Purdue make a possible Final Four run should they get into the tournament?

On the women's side, South Carolina is tops in the women's hoops. Seems like a changing of the guard from when teams like Stanford and (especially) UConn ruled the roost in women's hoops.

Texas Southern upset No. 20 Florida last night 69-54. The Texas Southern Tigers pulled off this big win against an SEC men's basketball power. The Tigers were previously winless on the season when they tamed the Florida Gators big time. This was supposedly the first-ever time a ranked SEC school lost to a SWAC school in men's basketball. Great job by Texas Southern on this upset!

Purdue's stay at #1 will likely be short as they fall to unranked Rutgers 70-68 on a last second 3 pointer by Ron Harper Jr.

Buzzer beater, Blitz24? Wow. Usually Rutgers is great at women's basketball. This win by the men's team, though, is pretty big. Some people still think Rutgers has no business in the Big Ten, but the Scarlet Knights did REAL good to sink the Boilermakers. The B1G is a competitive conference. We'll have to see how Purdue handles the likes of Michigan, Michigan State, Illinois, and of course- rivals Indiana.

Congratulations to Rutgers and all other winners from today (men and women)!

I saw that Rutgers buzzer-beater on Yahoo! Sports last night, and... well, that's basketball. Any loss surely hurts. I always say you are going to lose in basketball; just don't lose with regularity. Otherwise, you'll find yourself WATCHING the tournament rather than PLAY in the tournament.

Last edited:
While it is disappointing, at least it was just a regular season game and not the tournament. It doesn't have quite the sting that the loss to Virginia had a couple years ago to miss out on the Final Four.

The University of Houston Cougars were supposed to face the University of Cincinnati Bearcats soon. However, because of COVID-19/Coronavirus in the Coogs' program, they had to forfeit a loss. I would really hate for a college team to miss out on wins because of being unfortunate navigating around this savage pandemic. Even teams in the NCAA Tournament had to forfeit games due to positive virus cases. This is the Great Unknown right now.

Weird. Pretty good for Nicholls State to hang with Purdue, but you all still got the "W." Good job holding off Nicholls State!

Last edited:
History was made today! Ayoka Lee, of unranked Kansas State scored an NCAA Division 1 record of 61 points in their upset of No. 14 Oklahoma. The Lady Wildcats of Kansas State defeated visiting Lady Sooners of Oklahoma 94-65.

For the first time in school history, Auburn University is atop the AP polls in men's basketball. Here are the rankings as of today (January 24, 2022):

--- NCAA Division 1 Men's Basketball AP Top 25 (as of: January 24, 2022) ---
01 - Auburn <<< 15 straight wins currently
02 - Gonzaga
03 - Arizona
04 - Baylor
05 - Kansas
06 - Purdue
07 - (Houston and UCLA)
09 - Duke
10 - Michigan State
11 - Wisconsin
12 - Kentucky
13 - Texas Tech
14 - Villanova
15 - USCal
16 - Ohio State
17 - Providence
18 - Tennessee
19 - LSU
20 - Connecticut
21 - Xavier
22 - Marquette
23 - Iowa State
24 - Illinois
25 - Davidson

--- NCAA Division 1 Women's Basketball AP Top 25 Poll (as of: January 24, 2022) ---
01 - South Carolina
02 - Stanford
03 - North Carolina State
04 - Tennessee
05 - Louisville
06 - Indiana
07 - Michigan
08 - Arizona
09 - Texas
10 - Connecticut
11 - Baylor
12 - LSU
13 - Iowa State
14 - Georgia Tech
15 - Georgia
16 - BYU
17 - Maryland
18 - Oklahoma
19 - Oregon
20 - Notre Dame
21 - Duke
22 - Ohio State
23 - Iowa
24 - Ole Miss
25 - Kansas State

Still a lot of basketball left. Keep playing hard to hopefully make the Tournament in March!

As an extra note, ESPN announcer Dick Vitale will not be calling any action for the rest of this season. A doctor suggested Vitale rest his vocal cords. So I wish Dickie V well in recovering.

For the first time in school history, Auburn University is atop the AP polls in men's basketball.
Hope they don't lose focus. Purdue learned the hard way it's difficult to stay on top when you get there for the first time.

Yeah. but you know as well as I do, Dolph Drago, being ranked No. 1 in college hoops doesn't bear as much as weight as in college football. The SEC is especially tough in basketball. Auburn is probably likely going to drop a game or two between now and the SEC Tournament. I say the Tigers should enjoy the moment just like when Purdue was atop the hoops ranks.

No. 12 Kentucky SMASHED No. 5 Kansas 82-60 at Kansas. In this marquee matchup and with ESPN College Gameday at Kansas, the Kentucky Wildcats did REAL good hammering the Kansas Jayhawks in their house. NOT easy to do. So cheers to the boys from Lexington, Kentucky on a job well done!

Last night, No. 1 went down. The 23rd-ranked Gaels of Saint Mary's College downed the top-ranked Bulldogs of Gonzaga University 67-57 in Moraga, California.

But guess what? They weren't the only highly-ranked teams to fall yesterday. Here are some other Top 10 upsets:

• No. 2 Arizona lost at Colorado 79-63.
  • No. 3 Auburn lost at No. 17 Tennessee 67-62.
  • No. 4 Purdue lost 68-65 at Michigan State (sorry, Dolph Drago...).
  • No. 5 Kansas lost at No. 10 Baylor 80-70.
  • No. 6 Kentucky lost 75-73 at No. 18 Arkansas (sorry, Jordan...).
  • No. 9 Texas Tech lost at TCU 69-66.

All of these upsets happening on the road. Now, I was watching some of the end of the Kentucky at Arkansas game; and I saw some of the Wildcats leaving early, as if to concede. Some Kentucky Wildcats fans were wondering about why UK left the floor earlier than the official end.

As of right now, a some men's hoops games are in progress. It is currently 74-54, Connecticut leading at Georgetown. Here in Houston, it's the Houston Cougars leading 43-35 against visiting SMU. The Quinnipiac Bobcats lead the visiting Canisius Golden Griffins 40-27 at the half.

Holy crap! I had no idea so many top teams went down. The Purdue game was frustrating. They have a knack for getting beat by a last second 3 pointer at the end of their losses. But it's good to know they may keep their current ranking considering what happened around them and the fact Michigan State isn't that bad of a team.

Same ol', same ol' for Purdue. After dropping their game Saturday by a 3 pointer with under 2 seconds left, the exact same thing happens tonight against Wisconsin. Of the other 4 losses, 2 have been blowouts, one was another 3 against them with under 10 seconds remaining, and the real killer was the 3 ball Rutgers dropped on them as time expired in their lone week ranked #1.

Yup. Four times their opponent has thrown up a prayer in the waning seconds and nailed it, three of them in the final 2 seconds. I don't know how it's statistically possible. :grumpy:

College basketball musings...

* Last night, I feared Dolph Drago's Purdue Boilermakers would fall late again. This time, they were spared from another late loss on Saturday. Purdue beat their rival Indiana Hoosiers 69-67 yesterday.

* See you in March! In women's college basketball, Kentucky stunned #1 South Carolina with a 64-62 victory to win the SEC Tournament. So cheers to Jordan's Kentucky Wildcats.

* Other teams going to 2021-2022 March Madness as of the time of this post... Murray State (OVC) and Loyola-Chicago (Horizon).

It's March, folks. You know this is when college basketball is at its most magical.

* Last night, I feared Dolph Drago's Purdue Boilermakers would fall late again. This time, they were spared from another late loss on Saturday. Purdue beat their rival Indiana Hoosiers 69-67 yesterday.
I had a pit in my stomach when they were up by 2 and Indiana had the ball in their hands at the end. For once, a last second 3 point attempt DIDN'T fall in and sink Purdue.

Welcome to Selection Sunday! Later today and in another post, I will put together the bracket for this season's March Madness tournament for the men. When the bracket goes live, do NOT wait on me to post the bracket. Just check in and offer your thoughts on the upcoming tournament. I'll post the official details later.

GTPlaneers, it's time to set up some madness! The Men's Final Four will be held in New Orleans, LA. Which teams will make it all the way to New Orleans? This is how the 2021-2022 NCAA Men's Division 1 College Basketball tournament will go. The regions are set up by the announcing order:

TOURNAMENT SETUP:
  • WEST Region vs. SOUTH Region
  • EAST Region vs. MIDWEST Region

--- WEST REGION ---
#1 Gonzaga vs. #16 Georgia State
#8 Boise State vs. #9 Memphis
#5 Connecticut vs. #12 New Mexico State
#4 Arkansas vs. #13 Vermont
#6 Alabama vs. #11 (Rutgers/Notre Dame)
#3 Texas Tech vs. #14 Montana State
#7 Michigan State vs. #10 Davidson
#2 Duke vs. #15 California State-Fullerton

--- SOUTH REGION ---
#1 Arizona vs. #16 (Wright State/Bryant)
#8 Seton Hall vs. #9 TCU
#5 Houston vs. #12 UAB
#4 Illinois vs. #13 Chattanooga
#6 Colorado State vs. #11 Michigan
#3 Tennessee vs. #14 Longwood
#7 Ohio State vs. #10 Loyola UC
#2 Villanova vs. #15 Delaware

--- MIDWEST REGION ---
#1 Kansas vs. #16 (Texas Southern/Texas A&M-Corpus Christi)
#8 San Diego State vs. #9 Creighton
#5 Iowa vs. #12 Richmond
#4 Providence vs. #13 South Dakota State
#6 LSU vs. #11 Iowa State
#3 Wisconsin vs. #14 Colgate
#7 USCal vs. #10 Miami (FL)
#2 Auburn vs. #15 Jacksonville State

--- EAST REGION ---
#1 Baylor vs. #16 Norfolk State
#8 North Carolina vs. #9 Marquette
#5 Saint Mary's vs. #12 (Wyoming/Indiana)
#4 UCLA vs. #13 Akron
#6 Texas vs. #11 Virginia Tech
#3 Purdue vs. #14 Yale
#7 Murray State vs. #10 San Francisco
#2 Kentucky vs. #15 Saint Peter's

LAST FOUR IN: Indiana, Notre Dame, Rutgers, and Wyoming
FIRST FOUR OUT: Dayton, Oklahoma, SMU, and Texas A&M

Congratulations to all teams who made it into the postseason! Better luck next season if your team(s) didn't make it. Fill out your brackets, and let the Madness begin!

Last edited:
We learned the Men's March Madness bracket recently. What about the women, though? Well, here are the brackets for the women with the Women's Final Four to be held in Minneapolis, MN, USA:

TOURNAMENT SETUP:
  • Greensboro Region vs. Spokane Region
  • Wichita Region vs. Bridgeport Region

--- GREENSBORO REGION ---
#1 South Carolina vs. #16 (Howard/Incarnate Word)
#8 Miami (FL) vs. #9 South Florida
#5 North Carolina vs. #12 Stephen F. Austin
#4 Arizona vs. #13 UNLV
#6 Georgia vs. #11 (Dayton/Depaul)
#3 Iowa State vs. #14 Texas-Arlington
#7 Colorado vs. #10 Creighton
#2 Iowa vs. #15 Illinois State

--- SPOKANE REGION ---
#1 Stanford vs. #16 Montana State
#8 Kansas vs. #9 Georgia Tech
#5 Virginia Tech vs. #12 Florida Gulf Coast
#4 Maryland vs. #13 Delaware
#6 Ohio State vs. #11 (Missouri State/Florida State)
#3 LSU vs. #14 Jackson State
#7 Utah vs. #10 Arkansas
#2 Texas vs. #15 Fairfield

--- WICHITA REGION ---
#1 Louisville vs. #16 Albany
#8 Nebraska vs. #9 Gonzaga
#5 Oregon vs. #12 Belmont
#4 Tennessee vs. #13 Buffalo
#6 BYU vs. #11 Villanova
#3 Michigan vs. #14 American
#7 Ole Miss vs. #10 South Dakota
#2 Baylor vs. #15 Hawaii

--- BRIDGEPORT REGION ---
#1 North Carolina State vs. #16 (Longwood/Mount St. Mary's)
#8 Washington State vs. #9 Kansas State
#5 Notre Dame vs. #12 Massachusetts
#4 Oklahoma vs. #13 IUPUI
#6 Kentucky vs. #11 Princeton
#3 Indiana vs. #14 Charlotte
#7 UCF vs. #10 Florida
#2 Connecticut vs. #15 Mercer

Again- the Women's Final Four in NCAA Division 1 will be held in Minneapolis. Congratulations to all who got in!

Well, GTPlanet... it's time for Madness! March Madness, of course. The "First Four" round begins tonight in Dayton, OH with the Texas Southern Tigers meeting the Texas A&M-Corpus Christi Islanders. The winner of this one gets Kansas in the 1st Round.

Enjoy this season's March Madness!

Back