Coming over to iracing

Speedy10 Thanks for that info. I'm still doing my 'due diligence'... looking at various wheel stands. It is to be used at my PC computer desk and has to be folded up/put away after it is used. I'm considering this stand... quality looks to be very high, and very well reviewed. I have to further find out how easily foldable it is...https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07V8VJ193/?tag=gtplanet-20

Review...

Last edited:
@5CardMajor I had a Next Level wheel stand for a little while, I don't think it was the same one you looking at but they are definitely good solid units, I would get from them again if I was in the market.
The one I had could fold up quite nicely but wasn't the easiest of tasks with everything hooked up to it.

Edit.. This is the one I had https://www.nextlevelracing.com/products/next-level-racing-wheel-stand/
Not sure if it would be quite good enough for a DD wheel but was pretty sold using a Thrustmaster T500.

Last edited:
@5CardMajor I had a Next Level wheel stand for a little while, I don't think it was the same one you looking at but they are definitely good solid units, I would get from them again if I was in the market.
The one I had could fold up quite nicely but wasn't the easiest of tasks with everything hooked up to it.

Actually, the easiest way considering the limitations of the computer room, is to just get a Logi-G29, a block of wood to put under the computer desk to brace the pedals so they don't move, and just clamp the wheel to my desk like I did back in the day playing Grand Prix Legends. I just don't really have the room for a wheel stand. :(

I will sign up for iRacing.... psyched!! :) Damn G29 Logitech is expensive now! :(

Actually, the easiest way considering the limitations of the computer room, is to just get a Logi-G29, a block of wood to put under the computer desk to brace the pedals so they don't move, and just clamp the wheel to my desk like I did back in the day playing Grand Prix Legends. I just don't really have the room for a wheel stand. :(

I will sign up for iRacing.... psyched!! :) Damn G29 Logitech is expensive now! :(

The cost of everything sim racing related has skyrocketed now. iRacing has gotten so much hype with the TV stuff right now.

Used to see an average user population of maybe 8000 in peak hours. Now its 15000 regularly.

Hey Wilo,

Good to see you. Its definitely different to GT Sport and Project Cars. Regardless, I think you'll like it, but there will be a learning curve.

Also a word of advice for everyone, iRacing drivers seem to turn off their brains when they are close to others, be aware of that. Sometimes giving up a position quickly (not losing time) and letting them run the guy in front of you off the road is the best way to pass. I put the odds somewhere around 40% success rate.

Others,

Have you noticed that locking up the tires SEVERELY takes life out of them now? I noticed this about two patches back in the GTE cars, but I don't remember it in the patch notes.

Others,

Have you noticed that locking up the tires SEVERELY takes life out of them now? I noticed this about two patches back in the GTE cars, but I don't remember it in the patch notes.

I can't speak for GTEs, but my Mercedes AMG GT3 does seem more prone for having the rear break loose in high speed corners since the tire update. There's virtually no warning when it's about to happen, and once it does there's no saving it. The tire model seems better for the NASCAR side, the rear has gotten away from me on my ARCA car a few times but it's usually from me pushing to hard while the tires are still cold.

I can't speak for GTEs, but my Mercedes AMG GT3 does seem more prone for having the rear break loose in high speed corners since the tire update. There's virtually no warning when it's about to happen, and once it does there's no saving it. The tire model seems better for the NASCAR side, the rear has gotten away from me on my ARCA car a few times but it's usually from me pushing to hard while the tires are still cold.

For the AMG (or GT3s in total), iRacing suggested what you mentioned might be the case after the major tire update. So that doesn't come as a surprise to me, and makes total sense. Good to hear the NASCAR crowd seems to like the recent updates. I've yet to drive the newest update of the 911 Cup car but it sounds like they took away the tire warmers, but sped up how quickly the tires come on. That should make those races interesting.

I mention the lock up issue because I'm normally really easy on tires, but once I saw one tire finish a 45 Min race with 20% tread while the others were around 68%. In another race I had one tire at 48% with the others at 85% and the only constant was a single lock up at the end of the race (two lock ups on the 20% tire, both on the final lap). So I'm pretty sure that's the case, which I like, but it would have been nice to know.

Hey Wilo,

Good to see you. Its definitely different to GT Sport and Project Cars. Regardless, I think you'll like it, but there will be a learning curve.

Also a word of advice for everyone, iRacing drivers seem to turn off their brains when they are close to others, be aware of that. Sometimes giving up a position quickly (not losing time) and letting them run the guy in front of you off the road is the best way to pass. I put the odds somewhere around 40% success rate.
Been a while man! Im really enjoying it. My go to move at this point is to put slight pressure and watch them go off in a few corners. Theese miatas are fun though.

Hi Folks!

I have a question about transitioning into iRacing. 1st a bit of background: I'm a semi-pro level karter who races with a kart club. I got my own kart, trailer, kit, etc ...but I don't do pro racing as that gets too expensive. Since covid19, we can't race, so my kart club have been racing online using GT Sport. So bought the game, PS4, Fanatec elite, and Clubsport V3 Pedals last week. We race for fun, but I keep seeing iRacing is the real simulator, and I'm interested to join eventually. The only thing stopping me from going straight to iRacing is I don't have a GPU (been using the mobo).

So my question is: Is it worth spending a lot of time to be very a good driver (time trials) in GT, then go to iRacing? Or is the driving physics so different that you'll start as noob no matter how good you are in GT? Might as well spend the 'study' time in iRacing.

Last edited:
Hi Folks!

I have a question about transitioning into iRacing. 1st a bit of background: I'm a semi-pro level karter who races with a kart club. I got my own kart, trailer, kit, etc ...but I don't do pro racing as that gets too expensive. Since covid19, we can't race, so my kart club have been racing online using GT Sport. So bought the game, PS4, Fanatec elite, and Clubsport V3 Pedals last week. We race for fun, but I keep seeing iRacing is the real simulator, and I'm interested to join eventually.

So my question is: Is it worth really good driving (time trials) in GT, then go to iRacing? Or is the driving physics so different that you'll start as noob no matter how good you are in GT? Might as well spend the 'study' time in iRacing.
I'm not saying everybody in iRacing starts like a noob, but there is definitely a learning curve. Some drivers will adapt to it a lot faster than others though.

I was pretty decent at GT6 and the transition to iRacing was drastic.

Switching over and getting ahead of the learning curve is more about not being afraid to drive differently, or learn a new style of driving.

If you are the type that gets faster from driving harder... you'll have issues in transitioning. If you get faster by driving cleaner, you do just fine in iRacing.

You won't be able to get away with riding curbs or clipping the grass through the corners the way you can in GT Sport. In fact, touching the grass in iRacing is pretty much instant death, you'll be going for a spin. Once you get a feel for driving experience though, you'll find it's arguably the best of any sim out there. It's rendered GT Sport and its "Open Wheel cars understeer like dump trucks" physics all but unplayable for me.

Thanks for the feedback! Hmm, I think I won't spend time studying to be good in GT then. But, I'll keep playing with my mates 1st and see if I enjoy sim racing long term before I buy a GPU for iRacing.

I joined last week and rushed my way through rookies, I had just wrote and deleted a long post with my impressions but decided to just say, I like it a lot. Clean racing is rare, the simulation is excellent, I wish it were cheaper.

possibly the racing wouldn’t be as clean if it weren’t so expensive? If people weren’t forced to invest in it maybe they wouldn’t be so invested in making the most of it?

Interesting you bring up the quality of racing. I think the racing is the worst of any platform I've driven (besides Assetto Corsa, that was a hack fest). But its not bad because of dirty driving, its bad because of bad decisions and full damage. GT Sport had a good number of clean drivers, but it also had significantly more dirty, mediocre, and poor drivers than iRacing. But I was never as unhappy with the racing as I am with iRacing. IMO, the game is set up to reward taking risks. The FULL SEND mantra is alive and well in iRacing. There's no penalty for making an obvious bad pass attempt. 4x for everyone only matters when everyone cares. For example, I can choose the throw it up the inside from 1 second back... if we make contact, oh well. I've got SR to burn. Because of this, the game promotes bad passing with the current penalty system. Those trying to defend are usually the ones picking up the pieces when its all done, generally from wall or the grass.

Personally, I also understand this is the closest racing I've had in any game...which also contributes the number of bad decisions. Desperation is a strong driver of bad decisions.

Interesting you bring up the quality of racing. I think the racing is the worst of any platform I've driven (besides Assetto Corsa, that was a hack fest). But its not bad because of dirty driving, its bad because of bad decisions and full damage. GT Sport had a good number of clean drivers, but it also had significantly more dirty, mediocre, and poor drivers than iRacing. But I was never as unhappy with the racing as I am with iRacing. IMO, the game is set up to reward taking risks. The FULL SEND mantra is alive and well in iRacing. There's no penalty for making an obvious bad pass attempt. 4x for everyone only matters when everyone cares. For example, I can choose the throw it up the inside from 1 second back... if we make contact, oh well. I've got SR to burn. Because of this, the game promotes bad passing with the current penalty system. Those trying to defend are usually the ones picking up the pieces when its all done, generally from wall or the grass.

Personally, I also understand this is the closest racing I've had in any game...which also contributes the number of bad decisions. Desperation is a strong driver of bad decisions.

I’ve played a bit more, and specifically in the F3 car, and you’re not wrong. In my first race I had to dodge 3 stricken spinning cars on the WARMUP lap. On lap 1 I was taken about a driver attempting a YOLO overtake in turn 6 of Laguna Seca; that’s the fifth gear left hander before the short straight that leads to the corkscrew. Impossible to overtake there. Anyway after a fast repair I got back out completed one lap and was taken out again by a guy who spun on the first patch of dirt out of the pit lane.

I’m hoping that I can find better racing in a different series, I think there are a lot of people that think they can drive cars that they have no business being in. Specifically open wheelers.

I do notice the racing gets better above 2000 iRating. Strive to get there and see if you have the same experience. The only problem is... you have to win races and finish really well to boost iRating, which means you have to brave those crazy moves in one way or another.

I just had a really fun race at 1230 IR. Another chaotic warmup lap, but I was able to survive it, lost two positions bc the cars on my side were screwing aroundn so much. Lap 1 was a bit wild too but managed to stay out of the fray. The rest of the running was clean until the penultimate lap when the guy behind tried a halfhearted lungs into the same corner I talked about earlier. I knew there was no way we could both fit through there so I tried to just let him have it. Slowed way down and waited for him to pass. He had the same idea and tucked up behind me. We both had crap speed through the corner so he just slow motion pushed me off the track. Lost two places and finished 9th

At least I finally had fun in F3

Back to crap racing..

.. so what other series have people found fun. I think me and F3 are done

Last edited:
The F3's are fun, but the consequences are very high. The racing in the GTE classes is insanely hard, but it also very touchy-feely. Skip Barber is generally cleaner than you'd expect, also the Advanced Miatas. The GT3 series are incredibly close. but also very rough, contact-wise. Personally, I still say try your hardest to build up the iRating. I think that will make the biggest difference. I've notice rooms under 1700 SOF (Strength of field) tend to be really bad. One more thing, I've noticed on tracks where my confidence is very high I get hit much less. Not sure why, but that's something I would suggest, race the cars and tracks that you think are your strengths more often. This will help bump your iRating and get you into a crowd of better racers.

You also brought up my biggest peev, getting hit on the pace lap. You literally have to drive looking in your mirrors with a big gap to the guy ahead just to make the start in F3s.

I lost 400 IR just in two days in F3. The one race I finished well I only gained +2 iRating so getting my rating back up seems a little out of reach at this point.

I’m done with F3 for now. Gonna try a mixture not Skip Barber, Miatas, Spec Ford, and maybe next season’s US F2000 car.

I can’t really understand why people buy GTs in iRacing when they could just pay for ACC instead

Yeah, big point drops on the weekends are the normal for me. My worse weekend was 600'ish, this weekend was about 250... but overall, I'm numb to the weekend stupidity now.

I tried ACC for the first time this weekend, and I can say the tire model is better than iRacing, but I still feel iRacing is the better overall sim. As far as iRacing's biggest issue (to me), the tire model, ACC feels a little too grippy over the limit, iRacing feels too slick anywhere near the limit... a happy medium can easily be had somewhere in the middle. I still prefer the less sophisticated graphics of iRacing, as well as the feel of iRacing. One thing that stood out to me was the braking experience. iRacing is second to none, at least that I've used, in this category. ACC isn't bad, but is definitely a little wooden in comparison. FFB on both are good. I thought the pitstop implementation on ACC is a little clumsy, but I'm sure that will get better with familiarization. All that said, most of my GT racing will still be on iRacing.

Came back to iRacing (and pc racing) after a 5 year brake.
Must say that GTsport somehow for me had a much cleaner racing. Maybe no damage modal also works in its favor
2/3 iRacing races I get knocked out and then I play catch up from the pits.

Most of the time I just do timetrials. Sometimes track limts seam too harsh tho (don't know if its just me).

I feel that I'm getting quicker overall.

In some ways it is a bummer that physics have changed (can't compare my old times to see if Imade any progress)

Yeah, big point drops on the weekends are the normal for me. My worse weekend was 600'ish, this weekend was about 250... but overall, I'm numb to the weekend stupidity now.

I tried ACC for the first time this weekend, and I can say the tire model is better than iRacing, but I still feel iRacing is the better overall sim. As far as iRacing's biggest issue (to me), the tire model, ACC feels a little too grippy over the limit, iRacing feels too slick anywhere near the limit... a happy medium can easily be had somewhere in the middle. I still prefer the less sophisticated graphics of iRacing, as well as the feel of iRacing. One thing that stood out to me was the braking experience. iRacing is second to none, at least that I've used, in this category. ACC isn't bad, but is definitely a little wooden in comparison. FFB on both are good. I thought the pitstop implementation on ACC is a little clumsy, but I'm sure that will get better with familiarization. All that said, most of my GT racing will still be on iRacing.

I wish I was interested in GT Racing bc ACC is definitely an incredible value compared to the cost of iRacing. Unfortunately GTs just don’t do it for me.

Came back to iRacing (and pc racing) after a 5 year brake.
Must say that GTsport somehow for me had a much cleaner racing. Maybe no damage modal also works in its favor
2/3 iRacing races I get knocked out and then I play catch up from the pits.

Same here. I think its mostly the damage but, in GT Sport people must take care or they are penalized. A penalty in a short race is painful. Even if they get it wrong 30% of the time, its right 70%. In iRacing the only penalty is a licence rating hit, which many times is inconsequential. Either way, its amazing that the less invested crowd seems to drive more carefully.

In some ways it is a bummer that physics have changed (can't compare my old times to see if I made any progress)

Unfortunately, the change in tire models effect the lap times a lot... and depending on your driving style, it affects some more than others.

Back