Compulsory Licence in Gran Turismo 6

• Thread starter Castrol96
  • 143 comments

Castrol96

(Banned)
United Kingdom
Southampton, UK
In this thread you can share ideas and thoughts, news about having compulsory licence tests in GT6. Now that there is no XP in Gran Turismo 6, drivers are learnt much better than before, if we have compulsory licence tests it will be more of a skilled challenge, in the previous games licence tests were very tricky like GT3, and 4, in GT5 the most of the licence tests were easy, if you look at the special licences there different, there much easier, i completed them all at one shot, having the same in GT6 wouldn't be very helpful in ways. We had Licence tests in GT1-4, and for some reason GT5 had XP, it was a much longer way to complete the game, but a way which had easy tricks to reach top experience, now in GT6 we might have a better method, maybe Licence Tests which would be much better.

Gran Turismo 3-A Spec S Licence

Last edited:
I welcome the potential return of compulsory licenses. I like doing them and they're great for learning the new physics (and lines on new tracks). Love to start out each GT game by investing myself into them.

New drivers can learn a lot from them.

Experienced drivers who don't like them (whom I'm sure will show up in this thread) can always zip through them with first try bronzes or better in an hour or less (if GT6 will have those well anticipated quick loading times), so it's not a big deal for those who don't like them if they're compulsory.

But I hope SRF will be forced off this time around. Only in GT5 did I not look to refine my times, completely because of the SRF settings. :irked:

No thank you. Let me learn the ropes with lower level races instead of wasting my time "learning" how to stop in a straight line.

I say bring them back. They're a good bonus for Cr., they can add trophies, add challenge, earn you extra cars, etc.

They add more to the game, bring them back!

How about this:

as soon as you start the game for the first time, you will get a chance to drive a few laps around Silverstone in a car of PD's choice. Based on your lap times, you will have to take a certain portion of the license test to go on. Those who have absolutely no idea what they're doing will have a chance to brush up,and those who are absolutely good won't have to do the license tests. Not EVERYTHING will be off limits if you have to take a license test, only things like Online and special events.

It is just a rough idea, please don't crucify me. D:

We need coffee breaks, doesn't anyone else think GT5 was a little stressful with no easy break sessions but just hard racing, think about the special events, some of them were very hard, but a buzz doing them. We need motivating and fun soundtracks to listen to, like we had in GT4, and 2.

Last edited:
Bring them back in all its glory, plus the Coffee Breaks like the friend above just said. And btw, I love this song, thanks for remembering me about it. :)

Want to know? When I listen to this GT4 song, I automatically teleport myself to good memories, I remember me navigating thru the perfect and beautiful GT4 map, choosing what to do. GT5 instantly gets cold when I think about this. Of course, GT6 menus will be more modern and sleek but I really hope they have more "soul" than GT5 boring menus...

Back to licenses:

My heart felt a bit broken when I've found that you didn't need to complete the licences to access championships on GT5. So yeah, bring them back.

One thing i want GT6 to have is soundtracks for each mode, it might be a bit weird but all previous games, but not GT5. Gran Turismo 3 had good music for licence tests, i want GT6 to have the same.

GT6 Smoothness

I think they are a unique aspect of the GT experience. I say bring them back. Sure, it's a bit of a grind, but it's also kind of a fun way to earn rewards and practice. In addition, if you really are a good driver, it's a more efficient grind than grinding XP to unlock events.

As much as I like the ritual of going through the licenses to get accustomed to a new GT, I recognize it's off-putting to just as many people as it isn't, so perhaps making them mandatory like GT's one through four would be bad. On the other hand, they were essentially useless in GT5 (other than some XP boost), so maybe they should be approached differently in GT6.

Perhaps PD could have them work in a similar way to the current daily log-in bonus; toss an extra 10% credit earnings the player's way when they've received a full set of a certain level of trophy for each license. 10% for B's bronze, 10 more for silver, and a final 10 for gold? Keep the prize cars around too, perhaps sub them out for a few to round the final boost to an even 100%? Or, five licenses, have a prize car for one level for each, and 10% boosts for the rest.

If they abandon GT5's approach of having no truly exclusive prize cars (other than a unique skin of the X2010, er, and the XFR), then those cars locked away in the licenses, like GT1 and GT2, could also serve as incentive to do them.

As much as I like the ritual of going through the licenses to get accustomed to a new GT, I recognize it's off-putting to just as many people as it isn't, so perhaps making them mandatory like GT's one through four would be bad. On the other hand, they were essentially useless in GT5 (other than some XP boost), so maybe they should be approached differently in GT6.

Perhaps PD could have them work in a similar way to the current daily log-in bonus; toss an extra 10% credit earnings the player's way when they've received a full set of a certain level of trophy for each license. 10% for B's bronze, 10 more for silver, and a final 10 for gold? Keep the prize cars around too, perhaps sub them out for a few to round the final boost to an even 100%? Or, five licenses, have a prize car for one level for each, and 10% boosts for the rest.

If they abandon GT5's approach of having no truly exclusive prize cars (other than a unique skin of the X2010, er, and the XFR), then those cars locked away in the licenses, like GT1 and GT2, could also serve as incentive to do them.

I'm thinking along these lines as well. If someone chooses to not do the tests, they miss those bonus cars and get less of a payout than those that do the tests.

No license, no drive.... they're pointless unless they act as a license.

Aside from the B license, which is normally pretty basic, (and can also be achieved to a high standard in less than an hour of play) and can be pretty boring, the tests aren't so bad.. with the full lap S-license tests basically being mini time-trials.

It's a good opportunity to learn some of the corners of the new tracks too.

I think they should even extend the licensing, so if you get all golds on a license it becomes a '+' license (like B+, A+, IA+, S+).. the function of this would be for online, where you could set the minimum license to enter a room.

Bring back coffee breaks too! (and let users play them as autox tracks with randomly generated cone layouts!)

No thank you. Let me learn the ropes with lower level races instead of wasting my time "learning" how to stop in a straight line.

Yep, utter waste of time. Players learn more in 10 minutes of online racing than 10 hours of license tests.

Aside from the B license, which is normally pretty basic, (and can also be achieved to a high standard in less than an hour of play) and can be pretty boring, the tests aren't so bad.. with the full lap S-license tests basically being mini time-trials.

It's a good opportunity to learn some of the corners of the new tracks too.

Some of us already know our way around the tracks, because GT isn't the only game we play.

And some of us have done the licenses 5 times before, and think having to do them again is boring.

I like SlipZtrEm's ideas, incentivise people to do the licenses rather than using them as a timesink that you must complete before you can do real racing. There are plenty of ways to gate progression according to skill without resorting to something as crude as licenses.

I do think they should still be in the game, because they add flavour and are part of the history. But care needs to be taken that they add something positive to the game, rather than just being something that you have to get out of the way before you can play for real.

Make them mandatory, make them realy hard to get, and then give us the possibility to block online room entrace to a given licence, well, real world it´s like that....

Just like the frog man mentioned, I hate licences, they are just a waste of my time, yet I couldn't imagine a GT game without them. Each GT I must finish all of them on gold. I'm serious. Only in GT4 I found the special missions too hard to just be trying to beat them.

GT5' licences were fine IMO, but I miss special missions I want then to bring back.

Anyway, can someone tell me what does compulsory mean? Thanks

How about the GTConcept/GT3 approach?

If you completed a certain percentage of the game in GTConcept, you were awarded with all licences in GT3 (as well as Cr.10,000,000). Likewise, if someone has completed all licence tests in GT5, perhaps that should count in GT6 too.

Of course, it might be better to disregard what I've posted above due to the difference in suspension and tyre modelling between GT5 and 6.

Anyway, can someone tell me what does compulsory mean? Thanks
Must be performed. As in "compulsory pit stop". Or "Voting is compulsory". It's a rule.

com·pul·so·ry
/kəmˈpəlsərē/
Adjective
Required by law or a rule; obligatory.
Involving or exercising compulsion; coercive.
Synonyms
obligatory - mandatory - compulsive - forced - coercive

Make them mandatory, make them realy hard to get, and then give us the possibility to block online room entrace to a given licence, well, real world it´s like that....

Excellent idea.

Also, to install new parts on the car you should have to wait several days to a week for the work to be done. Repairs from a serious crash should take several weeks.

Reality is sometimes fun, but mostly tedious. There's a LOT of behind the scenes stuff that goes into racing that is totally boring. The point of games is to get to the fun stuff without letting the boring stuff get in the way.

And if it so happened that you personally weren't good enough to get even the first license? What would your opinion be then? Would you be happy that you'd paid $60 for a game you can't play because the developers have decided that you're not good enough?

I think they should still be in the game but don't make them mandatory. When I first played GT 1 many moons ago it was a blast now it feels like a chore. I just race.

Also, to install new parts on the car you should have to wait several days to a week for the work to be done. Repairs from a serious crash should take several weeks.

Actually, that was my idea :grumpy: in order to make good use of three existing game functions: in-game days, engine/chassis recycle and delivery truck and combine them so repairs and such takes actual in-game days.

I know you've been sarcastic, but I am dead serious.

And I welcome Driving Licenses, there should be some combination of existing concept of Licenses with ones seen in GT5:Prologue, Driving Missions from GT4:P and GT4 and Special Events from GT5, let's say like 200 unique tests that vary from complexity to length.

And I also welcome online matchmaking based on Licenses results.

Will be interesting to watch the development of the Career Mode, I hope we will get at least some details on TGS (but I am 100% sure we will have no idea how GT Mode will unfold in total before we put our hands on retail game).

And if it so happened that you personally weren't good enough to get even the first license? What would your opinion be then? Would you be happy that you'd paid $60 for a game you can't play because the developers have decided that you're not good enough?

Almost anyone can get a bronze. And even if someone can't, from the GT4 (IIRC) the game grants complimentary "pass license" if you fail to get bronze more then 10-times in a row (or something).

As it's GTs 15th anniversary, I can see PD returning to the original system where certain races required a certain licence. Chuck in some exclusive prize cars (like the Academy GT-R) and that would be perfect.

I would also like to see an additional 'online licence' where drivers are taught how to behave in races against real people.
Ramming and using the AI as a brake is fine, doing the same online is not.

I would also like to see an additional 'online licence' where drivers are taught how to behave in races against real people.
Ramming and using the AI as a brake is fine, doing the same online is not.

You know, that's not bad at all but, it should be an animation to stay on the racing line and not always dive bomb every corner. Plus blocking once and maintaining that line.

Off-topic: and please PD turn off horns during racing. Not at practice but when the race starts.

Back