Compulsory Licence in Gran Turismo 6

• Thread starter Castrol96
  • 143 comments
The ideas behind career mode are having a story mode, which is the main part of current videogames, and making players try bits of content they would have ignored otherwise.

Story mode starts from the bottom in order to have a sense of progression and attachment to the game, at least if implemented properly. On this regard GT5 could have done so much better with little changes, for example there's no encouragement to keep playing, like beating a rival or comparing yourself to real life people, and the Red Bull Vettel challenge is practically the final boss but to players doesn't seem that way.

As for license tests, I have always liked those in racing games because they are a way for polishing my skills, again if done properly. In GT5 it was only a matter of trial and error while abusing the physics, but in others they truly teach players how to drive faster like in GTR2, RBR and LFS. Doing them can be addicting by earning avatars when completing them, especially on the latter levels (in skill requirement compared to GT5 special events)

Last edited:
I don't know why but this makes me laugh.

Anyway, i guess GT5 was planned to have no XP in it and licence, this is suggested over a plan of how the official game menu was going to look.

gt5-menu.jpg

189197-GT%20823.jpg

gt-5-b-spec_t.jpg

CourseMaker.PNG

Last edited:
A-Spec is. Badly implemented yes, but that's it. Even Kaz refers to it as the way they intend players to play the game, the mode that holds their hand.

This is one of those aspects in which GT's competition is 10 years ahead (same genre), if not more.

I don't know why but this makes me laugh.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NealiJpIdr4#t">YouTube Link</a>

Anyway, i guess GT5 was planned to have no XP in it and licence, this is suggested over a plan of how the official game menu was going to look.

What the ****!!!! The course maker was supposed to also have point to point races?! Damn you PD...

I really miss the old soundtracks. Try running them all at the same time :sly:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAQbBDFXjb4">YouTube Link</a>

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spXbhjI6Ito">YouTube Link</a>

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oaPXXdGD1QI">YouTube Link</a>

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXBlOYypDmU">YouTube Link</a>

Yeah me too... Hopefully GT6 will have better soundtracks: all the good soundtracks from GT5 plus all the new soundtracks. The new soundtracks from the trailers sound very good! In GTA demo, there have only been good soundtracks from GT5, I found that funny and encouraging for GT6 final game. For example this is so bad soundtrack for a racing game : http://youtu.be/7mB7M0j-PLI
While something like this : http://youtu.be/83fjNU3UjpU Is so entertaining to win the race!!! (Sorry i'm on my phone i can't post youtube link)

How many times has anyone over cooked a turn at a new circuit? The licence test help us all adjust to the physics. If the GT6 demo never came out and we started playing GT6 races with no practice, do you think anyone would have a clean lap first try?

Then again, maybe there shouldnt be mandatory licensing. Learn each track with different type cars and then start A-Spec and online racing. New generation GT users could do licence tests to prepare them for the world of Gran Turismo.

Why licence tests?

Why not a driving school - totally optional and using similar techniques to the GT Academy to advance a drivers skill level. Will produce better drivers in the long term as well.

But either way, I think making it (test or driving school) mandatory wouldn't be the best choice. Some people are quick enough from the start, no need to waste their time, let them enjoy the game perhaps

How many times has anyone over cooked a turn at a new circuit? The licence test help us all adjust to the physics. If the GT6 demo never came out and we started playing GT6 races with no practice, do you think anyone would have a clean lap first try?

Then again, maybe there shouldnt be mandatory licensing. Learn each track with different type cars and then start A-Spec and online racing. New generation GT users could do licence tests to prepare them for the world of Gran Turismo.

The goal for the physics would be real life, which many people already do well in. So yes, there would be countless clean laps. My first laps in GT5 were clean. My first laps in GT6 demo were clean (not counting the intro thing where I didn't care). My first laps in a FSAE car on race slicks at an autocross were clean.

Why licence tests?

Why not a driving school - totally optional and using similar techniques to the GT Academy to advance a drivers skill level. Will produce better drivers in the long term as well.

But either way, I think making it (test or driving school) mandatory wouldn't be the best choice. Some people are quick enough from the start, no need to waste their time, let them enjoy the game perhaps
Exactly. The driving school is a vastly superior idea except for maybe nostalgia. The license tests themselves are just more content, so why not have them. However making them mandatory takes them from being an extra to being a road block.

Those people are going to overcook it regardless of whether they're in a license session or in a race. It's single player, so it hardly matters if they go off. It's not like it's other players being damaged.

All having a license does in that situation is punish the people that do already know the track, or know well enough not to drive at 100% on their first lap. Those people could just get out there and get on with it, but instead they have their hand held because someone, somewhere hasn't driven the track before.

If you want driver training (and I agree that it's a good idea to have it available) make it optional for those people that want it. Give prompts to people to seek it out if they crash too much. Whatever.

Racing Licenses are needed in the real world and should be in the game. Maybe the implementation can be improved.

It couldn't be a different way. It's a tradition in Gran Turismo and one that should've never been broken. Personally I love to spend hours or even days doing the License tests before starting the good old Sunday Cup. Hopefully we might get special prizes when completing the tests too.

Racing Licenses are needed in the real world and should be in the game. Maybe the implementation can be improved.

It'd need to be, because if you're using the real world as justification, the licenses we have now bear almost no resemblance to any real racing license.

See Tornado's quote of Famine here: https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?p=8763812#post8763812

And if licenses become something like real world licenses, a lot of the objections go away, because real world racing licenses are by and large acquired by racing.

Why licence tests?

Gran Turismo 4 Prologue was the first game to have driving school, it was long, fun and challenging, GT4 had licence tests and Driving mission, both together were driving school lessons. GT5 had basic and easy licence tests.

tinram
In the real world people with limited free time buy a racing game to race cars. Not do licence tests.

I really miss the old soundtracks. Try running them all at the same time :sly:

Snip-Various Daiki Kasho songs

There are a small handful of his songs(compositions in some cases) I genuinely like, most still have a good beat at least anyway. I prefer the 2.0 opening (Soul on Display, or 5oul on D!splay officially), minus the piano because while it is good it's not something I want to hear especially when I know there's a really good bit behind it. (2:09 in the video)

Many
It couldn't be a different way. It's a tradition in Gran Turismo and one that should've never been blah blah bleh.

Traditions are broken, constantly. I always found the License Test, back to GT1, a grind. You enjoy grinding, fine, but I'm tired of being punished for not devoting my every waking hour to gold everything to cheese the game with free cars, and they usually aren't worth it.

Qualifying is needed in the real world and should be in the game.

Agreed. Definitely.

Now, My opinion. License Test need to be much shorter no matter what. Five test per level for normal test at least, but I still don't care for that. I wan't to see the racing integrated into it. Codemasters seems to have methods I like, Jarrett & Labonte (aka TOCA World Championship) had a system where championship points were added together at regional level to advance, then again at international to reach the world championships. Then there's Grid 1. Qualifying race to get a rookie license(for each region in this case) then start earning points by finishing series. I'd need some time, but I think I could figure out something specifically for GT.

PS- I have always hated the XP system in GT5. The system in GT PSP was a better idea.

I think when it comes down to it, we make time for what we really want. Unless you're one of those guys who want to play a game for a week and then trade it in, but then, Gran Turismo isn't the series for you. GT is one of those games meant to be enjoyed until the next game comes along, which is like years away.

Anyhow, I know that the idea of driving school is appealing, in a sense, but I can't see how it would be any different.

License test: accelerate, do this, watch out for that, and you have a certain minimum you must accomplish. There are two more difficult levels, which will grant greater rewards.

Driving school: accelerate, do this, watch out for that, and you have a certain minimum you must accomplish. There are two more difficult levels, which will grant greater rewards...

Sounds familiar. ;)

I think the problem with board debates is that people get so engrossed in their positions, they react as if a contrary view will wrest control of the universe from them, and their reality will suddenly suck. Guys, GT6 will likely have License Tests, and you'll have to do them. That's just the pattern the series has always followed. Maybe heated debate will convince Kaz that an adjustment might be in order, like 5 fails grants you the option of a Pass License, a B Grade-minus license for instance. Or just asking for it from the start, and you begin with all License-minus but no rewards.

I wouldn't count on it though...

Watch at 1:29

GT5 sound so much better with the old music, what the hell a Chemical Romance, the original opening song is terrible.

In a nutshell it's when you would be, or use to be doing a lot of chemical based drugs such as MDMA on a frequent basis. It was something that was commonplace in the 90's dance music culture/ club culture.

I hope the GT6 S-License isn't the same as in GT5-a series of 1-lap races. Completely boring and easy compared to the GT4 S-License-a series of challenging time trials...
I'd like to see more licenses to obtain (typically there were 5 licenses, maybe they should add 6 or 7) and bring back the rally license from GT3

License test: accelerate, do this, watch out for that, and you have a certain minimum you must accomplish. There are two more difficult levels, which will grant greater rewards.

Driving school: accelerate, do this, watch out for that, and you have a certain minimum you must accomplish. There are two more difficult levels, which will grant greater rewards...

Sounds familiar. ;)

Except a Driving School should teach fundamental driving skills, not replicate License Tests.

What did Lucas Ordonez learn from the professionals at GT Academy? That's what would constitute a driving school - oversteer and how to correct it, understeer and how to correct it, shifting techniques, braking techniques, car setup, race craft etc.

The biggest difference between the two would be that a driving school would actually teach drivers how to/what to expect when (for example) tackling a decreasing radius corner, why the car reacts how it reacts etc. A Licence test will just ask you to complete it.

I think when it comes down to it, we make time for what we really want. Unless you're one of those guys who want to play a game for a week and then trade it in, but then, Gran Turismo isn't the series for you. GT is one of those games meant to be enjoyed until the next game comes along, which is like years away.
And licenses aren't helping. I enjoy games even after the next one comes out. They're better without unlocks.

Anyhow, I know that the idea of driving school is appealing, in a sense, but I can't see how it would be any different.

Sounds familiar. ;)

License: Do this, pass or fail

School: Get behind the wheel, drive around this track. See that corner? Brake and turn into it. Notice how the car didn't turn? That was understeer. Now brake first, blah, blah...

Instead of license i would like a sport driving course, with trajectory explanation, basic physic theory about weight transfers, how to correctly manage understeer-oversteer, and then more advanced driving techniques: like trail braking, overtaking techniques, etc

In a nutshell it's when you would be, or use to be doing a lot of chemical based drugs such as MDMA on a frequent basis. It was something that was commonplace in the 90's dance music culture/ club culture.

I'm sorry i mean't what the hell to the 'My Chemical Romance band', the singers of the GT5 opening song :lol:. But still, thanks and i appreciate learning something that i never knew before :).

Tenacious D

Sounds familiar. ;)

I think the problem with board debates is that people get so engrossed in their positions, they react as if a contrary view will wrest control of the universe from them, and their reality will suddenly suck. Guys, GT6 will likely have License Tests, and you'll have to do them. That's just the pattern the series has always followed. Maybe heated debate will convince Kaz that an adjustment might be in order, like 5 fails grants you the option of a Pass License, a B Grade-minus license for instance. Or just asking for it from the start, and you begin with all License-minus but no rewards.

I wouldn't count on it though...

Great post as always sir.

And some people are simply playing the wrong game. They want cars to be selected without having to buy them. They don't want to do license tests... Some doesn't want weak, small cars.

What they want is not what Gran Turismo is. We have some traditions and most of them work well for the last 15 years. I don't want GT to become another of those soul-less pc simulators, where you just pick and race. And unlockables and collectibles are very important too imho.

I'm happy with that and I'm not alone. Looks like millions of people that still buy the game must like these too. :)

Great post as always sir.

And some people are simply playing the wrong game. They want cars to be selected without having to buy them. They don't want to do license tests... Some doesn't want weak, small cars.

What they want is not what Gran Turismo is. We have some traditions and most of them work well for the last 15 years. I don't want GT to become another of those soul-less pc simulators, where you just pick and race. And unlockables and collectibles are very important too imho.

I'm happy with that and I'm not alone. Looks like millions of people that still buy the game must like these too. :)

I like how people choose the parts of the game that they like, and decide that they must be the heart and soul of the game. Anyone else must be playing the wrong game.

Why are some things OK to change, and others not? What's the difference between a flawed piece of design that gives character, and a flawed piece of design which is just bad?

And don't make the mistake of thinking that everyone that bought GT5 was a satisfied customer. I bought a copy, for example.

Except a Driving School should teach fundamental driving skills, not replicate License Tests.

What did Lucas Ordonez learn from the professionals at GT Academy? That's what would constitute a driving school - oversteer and how to correct it, understeer and how to correct it, shifting techniques, braking techniques, car setup, race craft etc.

The biggest difference between the two would be that a driving school would actually teach drivers how to/what to expect when (for example) tackling a decreasing radius corner, why the car reacts how it reacts etc. A Licence test will just ask you to complete it.
School: Get behind the wheel, drive around this track. See that corner? Brake and turn into it. Notice how the car didn't turn? That was understeer. Now brake first, blah, blah...
Well... believe me, I completely agree with you two on your posts. Completely 👍

However, and I was thinking this very thing as I was trying to formulate a concise post of my own, this sounds more like an online video tutorial than something you can find in a videogame. Maybe this is what should be incorporated in future GTs.

If neither of you are familiar with Ferrari Challenge, they hired Tiff Needell to do the in-voice coaching, which amounted to him blathering - in a fascinating and instructive way I hasten to add - about Ferrari's marvelous race quality brakes and to use them with authority, and shouting "Power! Power power power!" when you were going too slow. It was helpful. Would Kaz like something like that? I dunno. But I think something like you guys want will fit better into the astronomically larger and more powerful PS4. So I guess as with all things GT, we'll see. ;)

Back