Compulsory Licence in Gran Turismo 6

• Thread starter Castrol96
  • 143 comments
If neither of you are familiar with Ferrari Challenge, they hired Tiff Needell to do the in-voice coaching, which amounted to him blathering - in a fascinating and instructive way I hasten to add - about Ferrari's marvelous race quality brakes and to use them with authority, and shouting "Power! Power power power!" when you were going too slow. It was helpful. Would Kaz like something like that? I dunno. But I think something like you guys want will fit better into the astronomically larger and more powerful PS4. So I guess as with all things GT, we'll see. ;)

I remember this as well. It was at times surprisingly helpful, and at other times surprisingly unhelpful. But by the time you'd done a dozen or so laps, he would have at some point caught all your errors and told you how to correct them. It was pretty decent, and it certainly helped me get better quicker at Fiorano.

I've never seen any other game try it, which is a shame.

Something like that would be great as a track learning tool. Get Martin Brundle or some other ex-racing driver, pick a suitable car for each track and turn it into a track day learning experience. It'd be awesome. Even if it was only the real life tracks, it'd be a good start.

But the license tests weren't compulsory in GT5. Isn't that an unforgivable breaking of tradition?

I have to say yes, and IMO, not for the better.

The licenses have always been an integral part of the GT series,
and a feature that gives GT that special immersive character.

Quite frankly, if you cannot at least bronze them to achieve progression,
you either need the practice, or possibly you should be playing some other type of game.

Not to mention, golding them will fine tune your skills.

And they were still there in GT5, so nothing changed. All you had to do was do the licenses before you did races.

GT5 was exactly the same as all the past games except that not everyone was required to waste their time at the beginning.

you either need the practice, or possibly you should be playing some other type of game.
What practice? Learn to imitate some replay of some car going around some portion of track that carries barrier any relevance for what you'll do later?

For an absolute beginner, the licenses hold some tips, but most of these are in the license description rather than in actually doing them.

And no, bronzing licenses is not a requirement to play GT.

Yet my track times remained exactly the same before and after. The only method I've ever used to get better is simple: racing.

Last edited:
I like license tests.

Overall they're kinda fun, even if some specific ones (stopping in a straight line) aren't. Plus they're a fairly reasonable measurement of skill and how your driving has progressed. Back when I first started playing GT, even getting bronze on most tests was a challenge for me. Now though, I can occasionally gold a test on my first try, and frequently get silver on my first try. Rarely do I come across a test that I can't easily pass on my first try with at least bronze, and when I do, I quickly realize what I did wrong and then pass it on the next attempt.

Thus I think license tests should stay. Maybe they shouldn't be compulsory for A-spec events, but it'd be a great way to keep lesser drivers from ruining online races between more skilled drivers. 👍

Though I think a driving school feature where you're actually taught how to properly handle yourself around a track would greatly compliment the license tests. :)

Good comment. This is another thing thats been said time and again.

Bottom line is, it's an original feature and part of the GT gaming experience.

It doesn't matter if you're a fast driver whether you do tests or not, it's the game so play it.

I wonder if the licence haters play repetitive RPG games and start every incarnation from 0 without complaining? These are the games I hate the most.

Also you get 3 cars per licence so it's not a waste of time 👍.

Good comment. This is another thing thats been said time and again.

And, at the very least, I've never seen an argument that actually explains why they should be mandatory. It always falls back on "that's how the GT series has always been."

3 years and counting.

Last edited:

For you. Licenses are the least enjoyable and least memorable aspect of a GT game for me. The GT exprience from my persepective are the actual events.

It doesn't matter if you're a fast driver whether you do tests or not, it's the game so play it.

What Tornado said.

I wonder if the licence haters play repetitive RPG games and start every incarnation from 0 without complaining? These are the games I hate the most.

It depends. Do these RPGs force you to sit through glorified tutorials? Because that's all license tests are.

Also you get 3 cars per licence so it's not a waste of time 👍.

If I don't care for the cars you can win or if I can buy/win them through another method, then it is for me. Which most of the time it is.

Last edited:
I'm sorry i mean't what the hell to the 'My Chemical Romance band', the singers of the GT5 opening song :lol:. But still, thanks and i appreciate learning something that i never knew before :).

:embarrassed: and here's me thinking I was able to look cleaver for a change hehehe :dunce:

It is, and imho its one of the parts where GT5 is flawed.

Still waiting for a reason.

Huh? Go back and read the whole thing.

I'm pretty sure he did. You were the one who directly compared trudging through the licence tests to restarting repetitive RPGs at level 0. Perhaps not the best logic to present when justifying why they should be forced on the player.

Last edited:
Leave the tests in, make them optional or at least allow a shortcut. For example, get your A license by one of the following:

1. Complete all ten license tests.
2. Complete a full three lap run at track X, in car Y, below time Z in showroom stock form.

If you complete the tests you get bonus car X with custom livery Y.
If you complete the three lap test you get bonus car A with custom livery B, somewhat less cool than if you complete all the tests.

Having mandatory license test for pilots that have literally spent thousands of hours on the track over the past 15 years is ridiculous.

Last edited:
Yes, but they should have more interactive automated teaching. Like after lap you could analyse where there is room to improve.

Shouldn't there b a tuning setup class. It's great having a these amazing vehicles but, at some point tip on tunes would be great..

I welcome it. I hated the XP. License tests have always been great, if not one of the things I look forward to in a GT game. It not only gives a goal to complete the single player, but it also provides a feel of reward and a challenge.

Still waiting for a reason.

I'm pretty sure he did. You were the one who directly compared trudging through the licence tests to restarting repetitive RPGs at level 0. Perhaps not the best logic to present when justifying why they should be forced on the player.

Reasons have been given but, you (and others) deem certain reasons to be unacceptable. Who gave you the power?
Also, there was NO comparison between GT and RPGs. Read it again, slowly.

I personally hope that licences are mandatory in GT6 and, you haters hate it so much it puts you off buying or playing it. If you can't deal with some little driving tests, you're not a hardcore GT fan.

Why should we force players through a system (which will not be perfect) in order to unlock the majority of the game?

Why not let players choose to get the licences. That way, people who WANT licenses can get them, and people who don't can still have access to the rest of the game?

Just do it the old way!! It's a big part of GT tradition!
👍 👍
Bingo! That magic word.....Tradition. :)

I mentioned somewhere else that as per my tradition, the first thing I do after loading the new game, I head straight for the license tests. :sly:
I even did this for GT5, just because that's the way I've always done things.....only to find out some time later, you could completely bypass them.....What a waste. :scared: :dunce:

I only hope PD beef them up, make them challenging as per the first 4 games.
Just so pleased the XP system has run it's course...
All credit to Kaz and the team though, they tried something new, it wasn't as successful as they'd obviously hoped, so change it back.

Reasons have been given but, you (and others) deem certain reasons to be unacceptable.
Actually no, reasons are not given. They never are. Instead we get things like this:

If you can't deal with some little driving tests, you're not a hardcore GT fan.

Who gave you the power?
Common sense.

👍 👍

I mentioned somewhere else that as per my tradition, the first thing I do after loading the new game, I head straight for the license tests. :sly:
I even did this for GT5, just because that's the way I've always done things.....only to find out some time later, you could completely bypass them.....What a waste.
So basically, the license tests are boring and you don't want to do them.

I'm starting to agree that forcing players to do licenses first before entering events isn't a wise idea. :\

Sure I miss the old way but this is a new era, time to do something new?

👍 👍

I even did this for GT5, just because that's the way I've always done things.....only to find out some time later, you could completely bypass them.....What a waste. :scared: :dunce:

I only hope PD beef them up, make them challenging as per the first 4 games.
Just so pleased the XP system has run it's course...
All credit to Kaz and the team though, they tried something new, it wasn't as successful as they'd obviously hoped, so change it back.

GT1-4 tradition dictated that the game be entirely offline. Traditions change. Not everything labelled "tradition" is good. The license system is archaic, simplistic and teaches nothing about actually driving fast or racing on a track with other drivers, AI or real. It is filler and a complete waste of time IMO.

GT1-4 tradition dictated that the game be entirely offline. Traditions change. Not everything labelled "tradition" is good. The license system is archaic, simplistic and teaches nothing about actually driving fast or racing on a track with other drivers, AI or real. It is filler and a complete waste of time IMO.

Blasphemy. We need no more than 6 cars on track, no more than 8 tracks, only 3 types of tires, no damage, and no real world tracks. How can we break the tradition set in stone by the first game?

I'm starting to agree that forcing players to do licenses first before entering events isn't a wise idea. :\

Sure I miss the old way but this is a new era, time to do something new?

As much as I think licenses should be optional, people should want them to be optional for the right reasons. "Because it's new" is the same as "it's tradition". Licenses should be optional because that way, everyone wins.

Nothing on you personally, I get what you're saying and it was a short post anyway, but I just wanted to point this out.

"...and teaches nothing about actually driving fast or racing on a track..."

Not true, man.

Having to complete certain challenges without touching the AI and in pre-determined time doesn't teach nothing them?

For the some more experience GT players, it's like doing all over again sometimes (even if it shows how the new physics may be working for every GT game), but yes, it's a tradition, yes, a lot of us like it.

But it can be improved? Of course it can. It just doesn't need to be removed. It would be an important part of the game that a lot of us would miss.

The same for the completely absurd idea of removing the UCD. Change the name of the game to NFS or Forza then. Kill the soul of the thing.

Blasphemy. We need no more than 6 cars on track, no more than 8 tracks, only 3 types of tires, no damage, and no real world tracks. How can we break the tradition set in stone by the first game?

You're exagerating a bit, I think... Like some of you been doing in the last years on GTPlanet, regarding GT in general. A term that it's used in other forum: "a ton of salt" in these posts... You can improve something without having to kill it totally.

As much as I think licenses should be optional, people should want them to be optional for the right reasons. "Because it's new" is the same as "it's tradition". Licenses should be optional because that way, everyone wins.

Nothing on you personally, I get what you're saying and it was a short post anyway, but I just wanted to point this out.

No worries, it was well worth it. :) That's the same idea I had at first, to make it optional. 👍

Reasons have been given but, you (and others) deem certain reasons to be unacceptable.

Because "that's how it used to be" isn't even a reason, and to this point you in particular have failed to give any reason beyond that and the repeated "true fans" nonsense. Particularly when they would have to change it back to that way after GT5 made them optional.

Who gave you the power?

Again. I'm not the one advocating a forced tutorial on people who either don't want to do it and/or don't need to do it, so I'm not the one claiming power over others. And for a double bit of irony, who gave you the power to dictate what a "true fan" is?

Also, there was NO comparison between GT and RPGs. Read it again, slowly.

No matter how slowly I read it, it still comes up as you directly comparing licence tests to repetitive RPGs by way of wondering whether people who don't like them also don't like the other. Though perhaps I'm wrong, and perhaps you could explain why you even brought repetitive RPGs up in relation to the topic of forced licence tests in the first place if you weren't making a comparison between the two.

I personally hope that licences are mandatory in GT6 and, you haters hate it so much it puts you off buying or playing it.

Love hearing that one. Because that's the perspective PD should make towards future GT games.

If you can't deal with some little driving tests, you're not a hardcore GT fan.

Never get tired of hearing that one either.

Having to complete certain challenges without touching the AI and in pre-determined time doesn't teach nothing them?
No it doesn't, because every single time the test parameters (meaning where the AI cars are at each specific second of the test) are also predetermined, so it just becomes an exercise in avoidance that amounts to an extreme version of a quick time event. You can do IC10 a dozen times and everything will be identical each time. You don't learn how to pass the AI. You learn where to be on the track to get in the right position to get the most draft off of the mindless drones when they are in the proper position (which you will learn through sheer repetition). This carries over into the similar chase-the-rabbit Seasonal Events as well, even though the Special Events actually have AI variety.

But it can be improved? Of course it can. It just doesn't need to be removed. It would be an important part of the game that a lot of us would miss.
You're exagerating a bit, I think... Like some of you been doing in the last years on GTPlanet, regarding GT in general. A term that it's used in other forum: "a ton of salt" in these posts... You can improve something without having to kill it totally.
Making them optional is the improvement.

Last edited:
"...and teaches nothing about actually driving fast or racing on a track..."

Not true, man.

For the some more experience GT players, it's like doing all over again sometimes (even if it shows how the new physics may be working for every GT game), but yes, it's a tradition, yes, a lot of us like it.

The same for the completely absurd idea of removing the UCD. Change the name of the game to NFS or Forza then. Kill the soul of the thing.

The AI does not behave like real world drivers do so all it teaches you is how to handle the AI which is predictable as night and day. If someone hasn't learned that by playing GT1-5 yet there is no hope for them in terms of racing sims. Having said that, I don't advocate killing it. Leave it in, just don't make it mandatory to proceed through the game as I've said many times before or at least give us a single race test that encompasses everything within a license group and if we pass that test, we get the license without having to slog through meaningless tests. I'm not JohnnyBuzzKill who wants large parts of the game removed, just made optional so PD can reward the more experienced players who no longer wish to slog through tests and events that are now a waste of time to them with the emergence of online game play.

I personally hope that licences are mandatory in GT6 and, you haters hate it so much it puts you off buying or playing it. If you can't deal with some little driving tests, you're not a hardcore GT fan.

That's the kind of rigid thinking that holds the game back from finding it's true potential. Blind adherence to a tradition while turning a blind eye to it's ever growing obsolescence does not make a great game. Respecting tradition while moving forward with the changing marketplace allows certain aspects of the game to be retained while acknowledging the ongoing development of sims in general and the GT series in particular. Try to keep an open mind.

Last edited:
Back