Consciousness News and Discussion

• Thread starter Dotini
  • 18 comments

Dotini

(Banned)
United States
Seattle
CR80_Shifty
The purpose of this thread is to discuss the science and philosophy of consciousness.

Last edited:
If solipsism is real then to dream up an existence in which one's eyes bleed from reading seemingly endless online drivel seems like a poor use of the imagination.

I don't think people are more stupid with the internet and suspect there have always been stupid people. But now they have more of a voice and a means to network with each other until they become an amorphous mass not unlike the slime mould discussed upthread.

Knowing less doesn't necessarily make you smarter. It just means you know less.

If you're going to discuss the science and philosophy then you're going to want to come up with some pretty clear definitions of what you mean by "consciousness" and "intelligence" first. Ain't no discussion to be had unless you can articulate exactly what it is you're talking about.

If you're going to discuss the science and philosophy then you're going to want to come up with some pretty clear definitions of what you mean by "consciousness" and "intelligence" first. Ain't no discussion to be had unless you can articulate exactly what it is you're talking about.
I think it's a big problem, and it would be interesting to see how researchers address this.

It seems to me that they base studies on metrics of "it" (the most recognisable being IQ) rather than relying on a strict definition.

I think it's a big problem, and it would be interesting to see how researchers address this.

It seems to me that they base studies on metrics of "it" (the most recognisable being IQ) rather than relying on a strict definition.
Which is a reasonable practical solution, for all the criticism of exactly what IQ tests measure.

But really, studies of anything rely on some sort of metric. Because if you're not measuring anything then you're not studying, you're just mentally masturbating. Which can be fun, but only those with degrees from the University of Facebook think that's how new things are actually discovered.

Lol, consciousness is what you have when you're conscious, not when you're unconscious. Some real circular reasoning going on there.

What with the ever growing plethora of scientific research being done on the gut brain axis regarding our microbiome, I think we are on the cusp of a paradigm shift in medicine - especially when it comes to mental health. However, I hadn't even concieved of a hypothesis regarding it's potential involvement in consciouness itself. Very intriguing...

🤔

VBR
I think we are on the cusp of a paradigm shift in medicine - especially when it comes to mental health.
That's an interesting statement. Do you think humans have a soul and/or free will? What even are those things? Is the soul and free will related to mental health?

That's an interesting statement.
Yes, it is. What's even more interesting is that FMT is now standard practice in the NHS in my country for C-Diff infections/overgrowth, as the eficacy is proven to be superior to antibiotics (which ironically is often the cause of the condition in the first place). There are also countless ancedotal reports and case studies indicating various benefits from it, including people recovering partially or fully from all kinds of ailments. However, much more research is needed before any useful theoretical conclusions and practical applications can be made for use beyond C-Diff treatment. Whatever the case, there is a lot of signal there for scientists to work with.

Do you think humans have a soul and/or free will? What even are those things? Is the soul and free will related to mental health?
Soul and free will are more religious and philosophical questions. I understand various concepts of it from several different religious points of view, but don't necessarily subscribe to any particular one. I have no idea of it's relationship to mental health. But, back on the topic of consciousness; evolutionary biologist Bret Weinstein has some interesting concepts regarding consciousness as an emergent phenomena, but not on an individual level as most would understand it, he comes at it as being a potentially collective evolutionary emergence...

I've always liked the saying, regarding the mystery of consciousness, that human beings are more than the sum of their parts. I'm not an ideologically driven materialist, so am not drawn to or convinced by the reductionist arguments of such, and I'm also open to the immaterial although not a believer in the unproven. I think the true nature of consciouness is far beyond the scope of current human understanding to fully, or even partially, grasp and explain, which is one of the reasons it can be so inceredibly fascinating a subject.

Last edited:
@Dotini - Here's an interesting video a mate sent me by a Christian apologist/philosopher (the first two papers he cites doesn't seem to be relevant, but it becomes clearer later on in the video).

VBR
@Dotini - Here's an interesting video a mate sent me by a Christian apologist/philosopher (the first two papers he cites doesn't seem to be relevant, but it becomes clearer later on in the video).

I agree with the proposition, stated in your video, that mind precedes matter. My hunch is that consciousness (universal, not just individual) is the highest dimension, and creates, maintains and subsumes all the others.

I've been under the impression for some time now that the brain facilitates consciousness is some sort of way, but that it is not the origin of consciousness itself.

In my understanding, which is by no means universal truth, is that consiousness is the ability of sensing universal truth without being able to articulate it. As the articulation of the total universal truth is part of the total universal truth that is being articulated. For me that means that my live is a singular part of the total sum of singular parts of live. I can therefore never say anything that applies to every singular parts of live. Yet, everything I say feel or experience is part of the total parts of singular live.

But this is way to short a description to be even considered as a description of consiousness.

@Dotini - An interesting long form podcast that touches on consciousness as well as other related topics. Not a big fan of Harris, but do like to force myself to listen to high resolution viewpoints that differ from my own, which was quite rewarding in this instance. The interview was cut short, as JP got fatigued, so wasn't nearly long enough to get into the meat of things, but was a good intellectual stretch nonetheless.

Havana Syndrome currently has no medical or military explanation, so a mass psychological hallucination is still a possible explanation, I suppose.

Back