Controller setup options?

• Thread starter omniphil
  • 14 comments
Is it just me or is there no way to reconfigure the controller?

I always played GT with the right analog stick controlling gas and brake. But in prologue it default to the X button for gas and there dosen't seem to be a way to change it?

Anyone notice that?

As with life, some more important things will have to come before plopping down money for a DFP. So, I'm going to have to stick it out with my DS2 for now. The only problem that I have is that I am really partial to right analog stick for gas and brake with X for reverse and R1 for E-brake.

I just hope that I don't pick up the stock config like a bad habit.

That is about the only thing that would stop me from buying the game. If it's the same for GT4 (80% chance it won't be) then i might have to really think whether i should buy the game or not.

Originally posted by Mustang-man
That is about the only thing that would stop me from buying the game. If it's the same for GT4 (80% chance it won't be) then i might have to really think whether i should buy the game or not.

Bah, you lie ofcourse you would buy GT4, even if you had to adjust your style of driving.

I'm not giving you the satisfaction of knowing that what you just said is in fact 100% correct.

But it appears that i just have. :odd:
Bugger it! :P

Originally posted by jizzmirk
I just hope that I don't pick up the stock config like a bad habit.

I think if you play it enough you will.

I went back to GT3 with the dual analog controls (left stick = steering right stick accel/brake) and I sucked bigtime.

The DFP isn't even out where I live either and i'm still skepitkal of forking out a fair wad of my cash for it.l

Then I think you'd better stick to making avicons for everyone then. :) j/k

You bring up an interesting point, I'll have to go try GT3 again and see what damage I can do.

Yeah it sucks, that you cant use the right stick!

In Prius vers. you couldnt either use the rstick. I wonder if the Japanese prefer button pressing for brake and accelerate?!?!

Originally posted by zonekill
Yeah it sucks, that you cant use the right stick!

In Prius vers. you couldnt either use the rstick. I wonder if the Japanese prefer button pressing for brake and accelerate?!?!

Yeah, and so do most people I know that are fast with the controller. See the problem with the analogue stick is that you can't break and accellerate at the same time (or even immediately after each other). This technique, also known as left foot braking, is essential if you want to be fast.

No surprise then that all the really fast people I know can do this with varying intensity using just their thumb. Only a select few use the Analogue stick, but they use it just for steering. However, the game helps you control the car a lot more when you use the d-pad, so you can almost always be faster than analogue steering anyway.

Which means that the default config for GT3 and GT4 Prologue is so justly. Which does not mean that I begrudge people the possibility to configure the game however they like of course and I'm sure that option will return in the final game.

Arwin, I'm certain you've interacted with Honeycar (at least more than I have). I seem to recall a video of a replay by Honeycar (him/her?) of a Toyota GT-One at Apricot Hill. It seemed that the GT-One was driven with digital steering. Is that his/her style?

GT2 was the last gran turismo to have digital steering and in GT3 it's possible to turn the wheels unrealistically fast with analogue sticks so you really shouldn't use them or something.. :odd:

Back