Cool Wall: 1982-1986 Honda City Turbo (AA)

• Thread starter Snikle
  • 12 comments

1982-1986 Honda City Turbo (AA)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
United States
United States
Poll 1443: 1982-1986 Honda City Turbo (AA) nominated by Snikle
1983_honda_city_turbo_with_motocompo_159289196725da1e29e3001d-scaled.jpg

Body Style: 3dr hatch
Engine: 1.2L turbo I4
Power: 99 hp (Turbo), 108 hp (Turbo II)
Torque: 109 lb-ft (Turbo), 118 lb-ft (Turbo II)
Weight: 700-745 kg
Transmission: 4-speed manual, 5-speed manual, 2-speed +overdrive auto (?)
Drivetrain: FF
Additional Information: The Turbo II came out for 1985 and came with an intercooler and wider fenders (and a few other upgrades) compared to the '82-84 Turbo. - Each one came with a Motocompo that could be stowed in the back.
546b30be3a450_-_39402_orig-lg.jpg

honda_city_turbo_II_87-880x660.jpg

honda-motocompo-in-honda-city-hatchback.jpg

61-11-500x375.jpg

hontacityturboc.jpg

Last edited:
A while ago I saw the Honda Aria (Which is the early '00s gen of the city turned into a lumpy sedan-thing) over in car association and thought "hey, what fun SU-bait, let's make sure it's never been done before." Looking around however, showed that not a single generation of the Honda City has ever been polled here. Not even this one, a perennial hot hatch.

Anyway, I like this car. And it coming with a scooter is cool. I've got a couple Hot Wheels versions of it on my desk. Gonna give a cool here.

Easy SZ.
First time I heard about the City, was watching this BMI video( the full program on DVD) way back then.

It's so dorky looking. WEIRD TRAPEZOID, CUBE. Asymetrical face.

So dorky, yet so incredibly 80's with the stripes and turbo badging. SZ.

This Honda City Turbo (AA) is a (very) Cool car. I don't know as much as I would like to about it, but I do think this is a very cool car. It certainly isn't a plain-jane, "who cares?" econobox. There is some character to its design. Fine little Honda here.

The standard City was not cool. Competent yes, cool no. This is crazy and interesting enough to make it cool. It doesn't reach SZ because cars like the 205 GTi and Renault 5 GT Turbo really showed how to make a cool small hot hatch. Saying that having a moped as the spare wheel almost nudges it into to SZ.

A turbocharged city car that comes with its own emergency backup scooter and looks like it descends from the general aesthetic that inspired the cyberpunk genre? Yes please, more like this. No, I don't care if I most likely can't fit in it, I still want it.

Sub-Zero, because it comes from the 1980's idea of the future that was way cooler than what we actually got.

Last edited:
Hot hatches normally aren't considered cool, but this is quite cute looking. Not to mention, it was wicked fast for what it was, in large part due to how lightweight it was. Cool.

Back