Cost of going to GT7

• Thread starter HB Jones
  • 82 comments
Some online friends and I were talking about going to GT7 and the related cost. With the cost of a new PS4 console, New wheel with a stand adapter (we use the wheel stand pro) Game, plus shipping etc., you could end up paying around $800.00 to $1,000.00 when it is all said and done.
None of us have deep enough pockets to justify that kind of expense.
How many of you guys/girls are going to spring for that upgrade?

I used that money on a gaming PC, best choice i could make IMO especially with the wheel situation as it was before. I'm going to lose out on some fancy exclusives from now on, but apart from that i only see advantages in spending that amount of money on getting a PC instead of investing in a new console and all the restrictions and extra costs that come with it.
Same as Mister Dog. The cost of going next gen was the same as me keeping my perfectly good, almost new G27 and going to pc. If GT7 blows the doors off I'll consider buying it, but won't bother if it's just a mediocre game.

I live in the US of A.

-$400 for a new console (unless there is a price drop of the original model in the near future). I am not going to buy a "special" bundle.
-$60 for the game
-A wheel is unnecessary. I would love to have a wheel, but I buy physically (so I don't shop online) and wheels are scarce that way. If the PS2/3 Logitech wheels are supported, a used DFGT will do for me. If not, I would get a T300RS, at $300 most likely. I'm not certain about a stand or pedals, but I'd assume it would be $100 altogether. Otherwise, a DS4 is the plan.
-If there is a "season pass" or a "collector's edition", I would hold off on those.

However, I'm also interested in an Xbox One for Forza 6 or building a PC that is at least a little above PS4 specs for PCARS and AC. I know that both are also on consoles, with the latter coming later on the way, but I'm admittedly a little hungry for performance and a steady frame-rate and PC is the best way to go for that.

There is an adaptor for Logitech stuff to work on PS4, can't remember where I saw it though.
It allows the wheel to function essentially as a controller so no force feedback and therefore kind of pointless.

I hope so. Not expecting anything from TGS, but I think something, something, will arrive at Paris Games Week or at the PlayStation Experience. The most telling thing for me was the fact PDI announced that they were stepping seasonal events down to a less frequent schedule. Kaz also announced that the only scheduled update was the Course Maker, so no more surprises like customisable dials to put on the dashboard or paintable wings or extra tracks - in short, no more work is being done on GT6 than is absolutely necessary. This suggests to me they're in a sort of "all hands on deck" mode for GT7 development. I think Spring 2016 is a little optimistic, but I can see a late 2016 release happening (to get FM6 and Assetto Corsa out of the way and give GT7 its own time to shine), but I do think an announcement will come this year. I mean, I would be happy with nothing more than a GT7 logo and a "coming 2016" subtitle, as long as it was something official.

Yes, I sure hope we hear something by year's end. Like I said, I believe they will not tease us 1 year ahead of time for GT7, instead, when they're 100% sure it will be ready for the market no more than 6 months from the "official announcement". I was so sure they were working on a PS4 GT6, but clearly they figured out it would be an incredible task, so a PS3 GT6 was a decent thing after all. I really hope they can do it before Holiday 2016, that would be a full 3 years since PS4 launch, which is painfully close to GT5's long time wait. We don't need that again..

I live in the US of A.

-$400 for a new console (unless there is a price drop of the original model in the near future). I am not going to buy a "special" bundle.
-$60 for the game
-A wheel is unnecessary. I would love to have a wheel, but I buy physically (so I don't shop online) and wheels are scarce that way. If the PS2/3 Logitech wheels are supported, a used DFGT will do for me. If not, I would get a T300RS, at $300 most likely. I'm not certain about a stand or pedals, but I'd assume it would be $100 altogether. Otherwise, a DS4 is the plan.
-If there is a "season pass" or a "collector's edition", I would hold off on those.

However, I'm also interested in an Xbox One for Forza 6 or building a PC that is at least a little above PS4 specs for PCARS and AC. I know that both are also on consoles, with the latter coming later on the way, but I'm admittedly a little hungry for performance and a steady frame-rate and PC is the best way to go for that.

If you already don't use a wheel like a G27, then I don't see the need to build a PC "just above" PS4 specs for racing games and using a gamepad or a super crappy DFGT.. the beauty of these new games is that they were programmed for today's wheels.. the FFB and being able to feel and control he vehicles is the most important thing if you want to truely enjoy learning how to 'roughly' control these cars in real life. The new Thrustmaster T150 looks to be a great wheel for it's price, hardly could be seen as a waste of money. Hopefully you don't regret it when the bound-to-be-massive, epic, content loaded, fully overhauled GT releases and you chose to bypass it..

Yes, I sure hope we hear something by year's end. Like I said, I believe they will not tease us 1 year ahead of time for GT7, instead, when they're 100% sure it will be ready for the market no more than 6 months from the "official announcement". I was so sure they were working on a PS4 GT6, but clearly they figured out it would be an incredible task, so a PS3 GT6 was a decent thing after all. I really hope they can do it before Holiday 2016, that would be a full 3 years since PS4 launch, which is painfully close to GT5's long time wait. We don't need that again..

If you already don't use a wheel like a G27, then I don't see the need to build a PC "just above" PS4 specs for racing games and using a gamepad or a super crappy DFGT.. the beauty of these new games is that they were programmed for today's wheels.. the FFB and being able to feel and control he vehicles is the most important thing if you want to truely enjoy learning how to 'roughly' control these cars in real life. The new Thrustmaster T150 looks to be a great wheel for it's price, hardly could be seen as a waste of money. Hopefully you don't regret it when the bound-to-be-massive, epic, content loaded, fully overhauled GT releases and you chose to bypass it..
The adjustability and effectiveness of any wheel on PC far exceeds that of any console game to date, except PCars. Wheels don't become obsolete either like they do on console. A G27 is still a great wheel on PC, reliable and cheap to replace if needed, and dominates the leaderboards on Assetto Corsa for example.

The adjustability and effectiveness of any wheel on PC far exceeds that of any console game to date, except PCars. Wheels don't become obsolete either like they do on console. A G27 is still a great wheel on PC, reliable and cheap to replace if needed, and dominates the leaderboards on Assetto Corsa for example.

Even though the Logitech G's feel better on select PC sims vs GT, the FFB information is just not the same as the Thrustamster T3/500 or Fanatec CSW. In a proper simulator, there is NO way a person should get better times with a G27 over a T300.. there's too much fine detail that isn't being felt, which SHOULD aid in understanding and properly reacting to how hard you are wearing the tires. In a game with proper tire wear (hopefully including GT7), especially over longer racing distances, these new wheels, again SHOULD absolutely give an advantage (fun & immersion being the obvious bonus).. I would say that G27's showing up the most in the leaderboards is a result of 1000's having been sold and in the hands of people who are excellent drivers anyway.

Disagree, the G2X series feels obsolete when compared to the new high end wheels. They're reliable no doubt though.

Missing out on console exclusives because of a wheel you'll eventually replace isn't a long term solution though.

OP i'd look at a T150 and wait for a PS3 price drop which is coming maybe this year.

Even though the Logitech G's feel better on select PC sims vs GT, the FFB information is just not the same as the Thrustamster T3/500 or Fanatec CSW. In a proper simulator, there is NO way a person should get better times with a G27 over a T300.. there's too much fine detail that isn't being felt, which SHOULD aid in understanding and properly reacting to how hard you are wearing the tires. In a game with proper tire wear (hopefully including GT7), especially over longer racing distances, these new wheels, again SHOULD absolutely give an advantage (fun & immersion being the obvious bonus).. I would say that G27's showing up the most in the leaderboards is a result of 1000's having been sold and in the hands of people who are excellent drivers anyway.
Agreed that the better wheels give more fine detail but IMO, you don't need the fine details to be uber fast, they are more for enjoyment. Uber fast speed is a combination of innate talent and practice and the results indicate to me that in terms of ultimate speed, there really is no difference between the various 900+ degree wheels. If it's good enough for the likes of Ti-tech and Ben Cornett, it's good enough.

Disagree, the G2X series feels obsolete when compared to the new high end wheels. They're reliable no doubt though.

Missing out on console exclusives because of a wheel you'll eventually replace isn't a long term solution though.

OP i'd look at a T150 and wait for a PS3 price drop which is coming maybe this year.
The G series wheels may not be as good as the TM or Fanatec offereings, but it's far from obsolete and it wasn't my point anyway. Switching to pc when faced with a new console + wheel purchase is a viable alternative, especially when you have a perfectly functioning wheel that you really like and it works for you. You miss out on console exclusives but sticking with console you miss out on all the pc only racing games, which is a far greater number than you'll ever find on console.

In a proper simulator, there is NO way a person should get better times with a G27 over a T300.. there's too much fine detail that isn't being felt, which SHOULD aid in understanding and properly reacting to how hard you are wearing the tires.

In a proper simulator you can set minimum and maximum force values, so that all forces are felt regardless of how crappy your wheel is.

With the right setup a DFGT can provide the same information as a T300. It's just that it feels like the plastic toy it is to drive with compared to a real wheel.

To be honest, my DFGT was far better out of the box at conveying fine nuance than my Fanatec CSR, simply because it had less internal friction and the wheel rim was far lighter. But the Fanatec feels nicer to drive with, and once I bump up minimum forces to overcome the internal friction there's little to no difference between them in terms of forces conveyed.

A G27 is completely adequate to convey all forces a game is sending. All you're getting from a higher end wheel is higher maximum forces and more robust wheel construction. Both of which can be important but are not strictly necessary, especially considering the premium prices that the current high end wheels go for. There's limited value for many people paying the equivalent of the price of another console for a slightly better wheel.

In a proper simulator you can set minimum and maximum force values, so that all forces are felt regardless of how crappy your wheel is.

With the right setup a DFGT can provide the same information as a T300. It's just that it feels like the plastic toy it is to drive with compared to a real wheel.

To be honest, my DFGT was far better out of the box at conveying fine nuance than my Fanatec CSR, simply because it had less internal friction and the wheel rim was far lighter. But the Fanatec feels nicer to drive with, and once I bump up minimum forces to overcome the internal friction there's little to no difference between them in terms of forces conveyed.

A G27 is completely adequate to convey all forces a game is sending. All you're getting from a higher end wheel is higher maximum forces and more robust wheel construction. Both of which can be important but are not strictly necessary, especially considering the premium prices that the current high end wheels go for. There's limited value for many people paying the equivalent of the price of another console for a slightly better wheel.

Well true, it does seem that usually a budget wheel suffices for perfect laptimes.. I don't know, theoretically there has to be an advantage, I would actually even question how good most of our simulators are if they can't make far superior FFB hardware give a slight edge. I just got a T300 and I'm really really enjoying the smooth and more wide range of torque the motors give, however I haven't been beating old laptimes or winning more races.. but I also know there's a certain limit with GT6's physics.. I'm looking forward to trying AC soon to see this FFB difference people rave about myself.

About getting the same information from the DFGT as with the T300, that's really hard to believe, I used a DFGT for a few months coming from a G25 once and even that was a nightmare in driving feel lost... (a used G27 purchase followed shortly after)

It's pretty good for all the newcomers to wheels that now have a T150 to consider, the ISR review of it seems to suggest the FFB performance is better than a G27.

Well true, it does seem that usually a budget wheel suffices for perfect laptimes.. I don't know, theoretically there has to be an advantage, I would actually even question how good most of our simulators are if they can't make far superior FFB hardware give a slight edge. I just got a T300 and I'm really really enjoying the smooth and more wide range of torque the motors give, however I haven't been beating old laptimes or winning more races.. but I also know there's a certain limit with GT6's physics.. I'm looking forward to trying AC soon to see this FFB difference people rave about myself.

About getting the same information from the DFGT as with the T300, that's really hard to believe, I used a DFGT for a few months coming from a G25 once and even that was a nightmare in driving feel lost... (a used G27 purchase followed shortly after)

It's pretty good for all the newcomers to wheels that now have a T150 to consider, the ISR review of it seems to suggest the FFB performance is better than a G27.
I think your conflating better FFB with faster. I'm sure the T300 will be a superior experience on any game vs. Logitech wheels for example, but I think the point made is that the Logitech wheels have enough information coming from the FFB to be allow a fast driver to be fast.

I think your conflating better FFB with faster. I'm sure the T300 will be a superior experience on any game vs. Logitech wheels for example, but I think the point made is that the Logitech wheels have enough information coming from the FFB to be allow a fast driver to be fast.

No, I obviously see that you don't need a great wheel to be fast, but it just doesn't seem right... or maybe, yes, it's just me that doesn't want it to be right.. :crazy: A wheel where you can feel the forces acting on the tires via more precise FFB should give a good driver a better chance of keeping tire wear down. I also then ask why are the uber expensive wheels like direct-drive even neccessary? I doubt professional simulators run a G27..

No, I obviously see that you don't need a great wheel to be fast, but it just doesn't seem right... or maybe, yes, it's just me that doesn't want it to be right.. :crazy: A wheel where you can feel the forces acting on the tires via more precise FFB should give a good driver a better chance of keeping tire wear down. I also then ask why are the uber expensive wheels like direct-drive even neccessary? I doubt professional simulators run a G27..
I agree it doesn't seem right :lol:. I'll probably upgrade soon enough to a T300 for the higher quality (and quieter:banghead:) experience, but I don't expect to be any faster, just to enjoy it more:). The uber professional wheels aren't necessary to be fast IMO, they just make for a more realistic simulation by simulating real life levels of steering input and feedback to the wheel. They might even make you slower because the higher the forces are the slower you react. How's that for a conundrum:cheers:

I don't know, theoretically there has to be an advantage...

Why? All an FFB wheel does is push left and right with various strengths. Any electric motor can do that, no matter how cheap.

A good wheel feels more solid when doing it, and is quieter and smoother, and nicer to hold, but it can't give you any extra information that the crappy wheel isn't. There isn't any extra information to give.

It's like watching a movie on a 13 inch CRT versus a nice big screen plasma. One is a better experience than the other, but the information conveyed is the same.

Driving feel lost, or just driving feel that was different to what you were used to?

Consoles are tough, because they don't allow the adjustability to make each wheel perform at it's best. You're dependent on the dev to do it for you, and sometimes that means that they stuff up and there *are* legitimate performance differences between wheels.

But assuming that there's nothing like that coming into play and each wheel is performing the best that it could, you do not get more information through your T300 than a DFGT. Not in any sensible manner, anyway.

They might even make you slower because the higher the forces are the slower you react.

This is totally a thing. The easiest way to find time on track is to turn your FFB down.

Why? All an FFB wheel does is push left and right with various strengths. Any electric motor can do that, no matter how cheap.

A good wheel feels more solid when doing it, and is quieter and smoother, and nicer to hold, but it can't give you any extra information that the crappy wheel isn't. There isn't any extra information to give.

It's got more to do with the strength and authenticity of how it transitions and holds it's left to right forces. The Logitechs have horrible notchiness to them, I have never felt a car that relays the feel and direction of tires/car in such a cheap and erratic fashion. In that sense, there certainly is more information to give in a T300, it's much closer to a 1:1 tire angle and steering wheel position, in terms of matching speed and strength differences.

It's like watching a movie on a 13 inch CRT versus a nice big screen plasma. One is a better experience than the other, but the information conveyed is the same

Meh, I don't think that relates well as a comparison, you could say that with anything then.. if it get's the job done, then hey why buy the next newest thing??..

Driving feel lost, or just driving feel that was different to what you were used to?

Consoles are tough, because they don't allow the adjustability to make each wheel perform at it's best. You're dependent on the dev to do it for you, and sometimes that means that they stuff up and there *are* legitimate performance differences between wheels.

But assuming that there's nothing like that coming into play and each wheel is performing the best that it could, you do not get more information through your T300 than a DFGT. Not in any sensible manner, anyway.

Until now I've only had experience with GT6, and I've only used my T300 for maybe 5 hours because my setup is not where I'm temporarily living. Next week I'll be getting AC and running it at lowest graphical output and check out how that performs. All I can say is that when a T300 and DFGT are tweaked to their optimal performance (which I think is sad that the dev can't have at least 1 or 2 preset values for each vehicle that most accurately make use of a given wheel), the fact they could portray the same info while racing high powered sportscars is beyond my personal understanding, it's just not possible. Maybe a road car with power-steeering the DFGT will represent that.

The problem is that yes, we can still drive anything with the cheapest wheels because we are relying on auditory cues and the on-screen action, so we have been able to adjust and understand what we need to do. I still stand by the fact that if a higher end wheel cannot give an advantage, at least over longer distances where the smallest steering angles would make all the difference in tire degredation, I seriously question how accurate the simulator actually is.

The problem is that yes, we can still drive anything with the cheapest wheels because we are relying on auditory cues and the on-screen action, so we have been able to adjust and understand what we need to do. I still stand by the fact that if a higher end wheel cannot give an advantage, at least over longer distances where the smallest steering angles would make all the difference in tire degredation, I seriously question how accurate the simulator actually is.
The part you're missing is that while the higher quality wheels delivers a higher quality experience, the difference is in quality of experience, but both wheels and controllers cross over the threshold of delivering the required feedback necessary to be quick. In a good sim, the audio goes a long way to delivering information as to what's happening with the tires as does the video. You can usually tell when you are understeering and oversteering just by listening and looking at the screen, otherwise driving with a controller would be tough and being fast with a controller would be impossible. The wheel adds another level of information to the controller, but it's not necessary in order to be quick, it simply makes the experience better. It also changes your focus from solely audio and visual to the additional tactile, adding another layer of sensory input which aids immersion.

The wheel does help with tire wear, I don't doubt that at all. I recall a race in GT5, a 30 lap enduro where everyone but me was planning on pitting twice. I had tested quite a bit in longer runs, and found if I was gentle on the brakes and smooth with the steering, I could get 16-17 laps and save a pit stop. The controller guys were lucky to get 10 and I believe this is often the case with controller users, higher tire wear overall.

The part you're missing is that while the higher quality wheels delivers a higher quality experience, the difference is in quality of experience, but both wheels and controllers cross over the threshold of delivering the required feedback necessary to be quick. In a good sim, the audio goes a long way to delivering information as to what's happening with the tires as does the video. You can usually tell when you are understeering and oversteering just by listening and looking at the screen, otherwise driving with a controller would be tough and being fast with a controller would be impossible. The wheel adds another level of information to the controller, but it's not necessary in order to be quick, it simply makes the experience better. It also changes your focus from solely audio and visual to the additional tactile, adding another layer of sensory input which aids immersion.

The wheel does help with tire wear, I don't doubt that at all. I recall a race in GT5, a 30 lap enduro where everyone but me was planning on pitting twice. I had tested quite a bit in longer runs, and found if I was gentle on the brakes and smooth with the steering, I could get 16-17 laps and save a pit stop. The controller guys were lucky to get 10 and I believe this is often the case with controller users, higher tire wear overall.

I'm not really missing that, the experience part is of course why getting a better wheel is worth it first of all. But with higher strength and quickness in transition it should be also be moving closer to 1:1 with the tires like I said. The DFGT is the most sluggish wheel ever, most obvious when drifting or other crazy manuevering.. it's just not gonna keep up.

Last edited:
I'm not really missing that, the experience part is of course why getting a better wheel worth it first of all. But with higher strength and quickness in transition it should be also be moving closer to 1:1 with the tires like I said. The DFGT is the most sluggish wheel ever, most obvious when drifting or other crazy manuevering.. it's just not gonna keep up.
It's not sluggish though. You move it or any other 900 degree wheel 1/4 turn and the virtual wheels will all rotate the same amount. The feel is different, the DFGT is notchy and belted wheels or even the G27 is much smoother, but the result for the car on the track is the same.

It's not sluggish though. You move it or any other 900 degree wheel 1/4 turn and the virtual wheels will all rotate the same amount. The feel is different, the DFGT is notchy and belted wheels or even the G27 is much smoother, but the result for the car on the track is the same.

Well you are describing the input you are giving the wheel. I have no doubt that a DFGT/G27 will sufficiently relay information to the game, but it's the other way around that the FFB motors are simply too weak to perfectly move with what the game's physics are relaying back. Trust me I've owned them all, I bought a DFGT on Boxing Day for $99.. just to play GT6 when it came out cause my G25 took a crap.. I was flabbergasted at how people actually talked about it like it's a very decent wheel, I couldn't believe how little FFB and how slow it spun.. horrible (unless I got something refurbed with existing problems I don't know). Anyway I got a G27 a couple months later and all was back to how I remembered it but much better (likely due to the slightly upgraded physics/FFB in GT6, plus fresher motors in wheel).. but I hadn't raced for nearly a year at that point except with a DS3 because of being away for ongoing apprenticeship.

I don't want to sound like a snob or anything.. the evidence is clearly there that a DFGT will suffice for outright laptimes, but again the smoothness and the strength at which the T300 will hold and subtly start giving away as you're leaning on the tire is much more natural.. and that's 'information' in the realest sense.

And also, because I've read lots of people who are dialing the FFB down or even almost completely out, is actually a tell tale sign that something is not right, so either it's a person who can not handle/understand/react well enough to the movements of the wheel, and/or (most likely) the wheel motors themselves are literally over/under-reacting and causing un-smooth info being sent to the game.. which is of course more tire friction. Anywho, there must've been a couple discussions around this before, I used to read the sim hardware forum a lot but haven't really lately.. could have been a great talk about exactly this. 👍

Well you are describing the input you are giving the wheel. I have no doubt that a DFGT/G27 will sufficiently relay information to the game, but it's the other way around that the FFB motors are simply too weak to perfectly move with what the game's physics are relaying back. Trust me I've owned them all, I bought a DFGT on Boxing Day for $99.. just to play GT6 when it came out cause my G25 took a crap.. I was flabbergasted at how people actually talked about it like it's a very decent wheel, I couldn't believe how little FFB and how slow it spun.. horrible (unless I got something refurbed with existing problems I don't know). Anyway I got a G27 a couple months later and all was back to how I remembered it but much better (likely due to the slightly upgraded physics/FFB in GT6, plus fresher motors in wheel).. but I hadn't raced for nearly a year at that point except with a DS3 because of being away for ongoing apprenticeship.
I went through the same transition of DFGT>>G27 about 2 years into GT5. After plugging it in and giving it a few laps I was certain it would make me faster but it didn't. I thought to myself, "AHA!!! This is how I get to alien status! This is the big, hidden secret" It felt better, smoother, more refined, quieter, shift paddles were much better...but I was the same speed. So you're right, the DFGT will suffice for outright lap times and it's enough information to be really, really fast. And the T300 gives you more information at the same time, but that additional information makes no difference to outright speed. Tire wear maybe, consistency maybe, but not outright speed, at least not in my experience. Having said that, I will upgrade to a T300 when I'm fairly certain they've got all the bugs out just because I want that smoother, more refined feedback.

And also, because I've read lots of people who are dialing the FFB down or even almost completely out, is actually a tell tale sign that something is not right, so either it's a person who can not handle/understand/react well enough to the movements of the wheel, and/or (most likely) the wheel motors themselves are literally over/under-reacting and causing un-smooth info being sent to the game.. which is of course more tire friction. Anywho, there must've been a couple discussions around this before, I used to read the sim hardware forum a lot but haven't really lately.. could have been a great talk about exactly this. 👍
You dial down the force feedback to allow your responses/inputs to be quicker. This question has come up before on GTP and many alien level drivers said they turned down the FFB simply because they don't need want the wheel to be "heavy" while turning. They only need a feathery FFB to know what's happening with the car and at low levels it's more than enough and saves the "weight" of the wheel while cornering. It's easier to take an empty hand and move it left to right, than it is to move a weight in your hand left or right, simple physics. Again, it's the threshold of information. You have enough information at level 3 FFB to get the job done, although level 7 or 8 might feel more realistic and be more fun in the end. Ask any race car driver from the 60's if he'd rather race with power steering:sly:

It's got more to do with the strength and authenticity of how it transitions and holds it's left to right forces. The Logitechs have horrible notchiness to them, I have never felt a car that relays the feel and direction of tires/car in such a cheap and erratic fashion. In that sense, there certainly is more information to give in a T300, it's much closer to a 1:1 tire angle and steering wheel position, in terms of matching speed and strength differences.

No, you're just getting thrown off that the DFGT presents the information in a different way. Same information.

Meh, I don't think that relates well as a comparison, you could say that with anything then.. if it get's the job done, then hey why buy the next newest thing??..

That's exactly the point.

You don't need a fancy TV to watch the movie, but it's more fun.

You don't need a fancy wheel to be fast, but it's more fun.

Until now I've only had experience with GT6, and I've only used my T300 for maybe 5 hours because my setup is not where I'm temporarily living. Next week I'll be getting AC and running it at lowest graphical output and check out how that performs. All I can say is that when a T300 and DFGT are tweaked to their optimal performance (which I think is sad that the dev can't have at least 1 or 2 preset values for each vehicle that most accurately make use of a given wheel), the fact they could portray the same info while racing high powered sportscars is beyond my personal understanding, it's just not possible.

Well, you're wrong and you're basing this on absolutely no experience at all.

I still stand by the fact that if a higher end wheel cannot give an advantage, at least over longer distances where the smallest steering angles would make all the difference in tire degredation, I seriously question how accurate the simulator actually is.

Why? What should the simulator be able to do with the higher end wheel that it cannot do with the lower end wheel?

You're totally misunderstanding why people turn the FFB down.

Say you turn your FFB on your T300 up. I know on a T500 full power is strong enough to rip the wheel out of the hands of most people, or at least it's a serious struggle to resist the force.

That's not what you want as a driver. You want to feel the bumps, the kerbs, and the state of your front wheels. You do not want every bump and kerb to be deflecting your steering, or forcing you to let go before you hurt yourself. You want the FFB to be strong enough that you feel everything that's going on, but light enough that you aren't fighting the wheel every second and you can react quickly even against the wheel force if you have to.

This is why you won't understand if you've only been playing console games, because the adjustability doesn't exist.

Technically, a wheel has internal friction, and any forces below that won't be felt at all. This is why PC sims have a minimum force setting, which scales the "zero force" point to where friction in your wheel starts to give way. On a console you could be legitimately losing information to friction (and most belt driven wheels have a lot more internal friction than a gear drive like a DFGT), but you'd never know until you bump the minimum force.

Then there's max force, where anything above the maximum force your wheel can produce feels exactly the same. If your wheel can produce 50 torques max, then you won't be able to feel the difference between the sim telling the wheel to turn with 51 torques and the sim telling the wheel to turn with 100 torques. They'll be exactly the same. Again, losing information.

So once you've gotten those calibrated, for which there are aids to help, you then have to calibrate yourself. How much can you feel through the wheel? How much do you need to feel? How much are you willing to sacrifice so that you're not having the wheel yanked out of your hand when you rub fenders with someone? Or so that your arms aren't shaking and weak after 45 minutes of racing? This isn't about information any more, it's about physical realities of racing and making tradeoffs so that you get the best you can while still letting you use your racing skills.

To go back to the TV metaphor, a high contrast ratio is great, but it's no use if full white blinds you with the force of a thousand suns. You turn it down.

You've barely started along the sim wheel path, so you have no idea how much actual thought can be put into this if you try. Having a good wheel doesn't give you good FFB. Getting your wheel set up right gives you good FFB, and then after that maybe the wheel makes a difference. But it's less than you think. The difference in speed between a DFGT and a T300 is negligible at best, it's driver and setup.

But you couldn't know any of this, because you're playing on console. Consider yourself informed that there's a whole world of stuff out there that you haven't run into yet, and you should be wary of making sweeping statements without having a bit more knowledge than one game on a console.

Consoles are designed to be plug and play. They are not the best instruments for comparing the maximum capabilities of hardware.

PS4? I already have it since June 2014.
PS+? Recently i bought 1 year subscription.
Controllers & Wheels? I already have 2 DS4's and thinking about getting the T150 Soon.
Games? I already have games in both Hard Copy's and Digital one's including free PS+ games.

I have owned a ps4 for s long time. The only thing that i dont have is a racing wheel. I wouldnt mind a logitech g29 but will get it when GT7 is released. By then i should have enough to spend on a wheel.

No cost for me. I have a PS4 and a DS4. So I'm all ready. The only cost would be to my PS4 disk space running out due to GT7 arriving very soon but has not yet arrived, all other games are using up my disk space, and I fear them leaving no room for GT7. :( yep!

Indeed. Cost is a big concern. It's such a big concern that I may decide not to buy gt7 at all. Don't get me wrong, I love GT7 and if I only needed to buy GT7 and a PS4, I would surely go for it. But, my lovely G27 won't work with the PS4 and using the DS4 as a race game controller, is no option for me.

So lets count the expenses:
-PS4: 350-400
-GT7: 60
-G29: 400

So I have to pay 800 euros to play a console game. Thats not worth it for me. I can make a rather nice PC for that money.

Any suggestions of a nice race sim that has good physics and nice car performance upgrading options? :D

So I have to pay 800 euros to play a console game. Thats not worth it for me. I can make a rather nice PC for that money.

Any suggestions of a nice race sim that has good physics and nice car performance upgrading options? :D
Therein lies your dilemma:lol:. Sims don't generally do performance upgrading options. I'm not familiar with them all, but you won't find that sort of thing in any of the current sims like Assetto Corsa, Project Cars, R3E, iRacing etc. You'll find massive and complex tuning options far beyond GT and much more detailed and nuanced physics, great FFB, but performance upgrades are nada.

Therein lies your dilemma:lol:. Sims don't generally do performance upgrading options. I'm not familiar with them all, but you won't find that sort of thing in any of the current sims like Assetto Corsa, Project Cars, R3E, iRacing etc. You'll find massive and complex tuning options far beyond GT and much more detailed and nuanced physics, great FFB, but performance upgrades are nada.
I know, right. That's the problem. I haven't found a racing sim that lets me upgrade carparts. Arcady racing games like NFS tend to have some half decent performance upgrade options, but the physics of these games make me cry. I like the ability to upgrade carparts but I also want quite good physics. The Gran Turismo franchise was able to deliver these games to me for quite some time now. But at the end, it is still a console game. Consoles are simply less powerful than pc's and therefore I think it isn't worth the money to pay 800 euros just to play some console game. Why aren't there any PC racing sims that let me turbo a car. sigh. :D

I know, right. That's the problem. I haven't found a racing sim that lets me upgrade carparts. Arcady racing games like NFS tend to have some half decent performance upgrade options, but the physics of these games make me cry. I like the ability to upgrade carparts but I also want quite good physics. The Gran Turismo franchise was able to deliver these games to me for quite some time now. But at the end, it is still a console game. Consoles are simply less powerful than pc's and therefore I think it isn't worth the money to pay 800 euros just to play some console game. Why aren't there any PC racing sims that let me turbo a car. sigh. :D

I feel like that's a leading reason why some people stick with consoles. I know it's why I have: FM and GT cover 90% of my realism needs with regards to physics, but the PC options cover a far lower percentage of car selection and customization. While there's always the Mods path on PC, I don't have the patience for that stuff these days, and the varying levels of quality puts me off. Plus, console games tend to have larger communities.

GT7 will technically be a less expensive option for me than GT5 and 6 were, because I've already decided the current PlayStation won't be purchased for a GT game this time around. It will eventually be in our household though, for all of the other Sony exclusives, and multiplatforms I enjoy (Uncharted, MGS, LBP, MK, GTA, TLOU, etc etc). So technically it won't cost me anymore than the game, provided I do end up getting it.

A bit of man-maths there. :D

In actuality, if I were to get GT7, it would cost roughly what the OP suggested. Maybe a little less, assuming a PS4 price drop happens soon.

Back