Cost of going to GT7

• Thread starter HB Jones
  • 82 comments
I know, right. That's the problem. I haven't found a racing sim that lets me upgrade carparts. Arcady racing games like NFS tend to have some half decent performance upgrade options, but the physics of these games make me cry. I like the ability to upgrade carparts but I also want quite good physics. The Gran Turismo franchise was able to deliver these games to me for quite some time now. But at the end, it is still a console game. Consoles are simply less powerful than pc's and therefore I think it isn't worth the money to pay 800 euros just to play some console game. Why aren't there any PC racing sims that let me turbo a car. sigh. :D

For 1 game it is expensive. Getting a high end gfx card is just the same as console TBH.

Except rfactor, gmotor engine games and iracing which is subscription based game still? Pretty much all others are releasing on consoles as well. It is unfortunate that G27 is no longer compatible but that is the only difference I see.

For 1 game it is expensive. Getting a high end gfx card is just the same as console TBH.

Except rfactor, gmotor engine games and iracing which is subscription based game still? Pretty much all others are releasing on consoles as well. It is unfortunate that G27 is no longer compatible but that is the only difference I see.
For $800 you can build a pc that is far more powerful and versatile than either console. RFactor 1 and 2, Game Stock Car Extreme, Formula Truck, Race Room Experience, Dirt Rally and others are all still pc exclusives, so far anyway. "All others releasing on console" is 2 games and only one is released. The other could be delayed you never know. There are also other cool games on pc like Track Mania, SpinTires, Wreckfest, Euro Truck Simlator 1 and 2 and more. Games are cheaper to begin with especially if you wait for Steam sale. I paid $23 for Assetto Corsa for example, about $40 less than you'll be paying on console.

For $800 you can build a pc that is far more powerful and versatile than either console. RFactor 1 and 2, Game Stock Car Extreme, Formula Truck, Race Room Experience, Dirt Rally and others are all still pc exclusives, so far anyway. "All others releasing on console" is 2 games and only one is released. The other could be delayed you never know. There are also other cool games on pc like Track Mania, SpinTires, Wreckfest, Euro Truck Simlator 1 and 2 and more. Games are cheaper to begin with especially if you wait for Steam sale. I paid $23 for Assetto Corsa for example, about $40 less than you'll be paying on console.

800$ you can get 2 PS4 :P For people actively on racing leagues in rfactor, iracing PC are good and there are more wheel options. Mos othert games you mentioned are using the rfactor engine. Dirt rally when and if fully completed and released should be on consoles too. New track mania is confirmed for release as well. No one is going to upgrade their PC for Euro truck simulator games. PS4 will have at least 2 if not more exclusive racing games. Games prices are cheap on consoles too if you know when to purchase it. I bought F1 2013, Absolute supercars on PS3 for 10$. Grid2 was free as a PS+ member and can use it as long as I am the member.

If you look at it another way, you can spend as much as you like on a PC and you are still not going to get a game like Gran Turismo or Forza. I am primarily a PC gamer since the last century but always pick up at least one console per gen to play the games that interest me.

However if you are stuck on last gen and primarily a racing gamer. I would recommend buying a PC and a few sims now, continue enjoying play time with your current wheel, then upgrade current gen compatible wheel in time, then pick up the console and game in a year or two. I know everybody is not made of money but at least you are still getting value out of your current wheel, great games to play now and peace of mind that your new wheel will still be PC compatible long after the current gen has passed.

800$ you can get 2 PS4 :P For people actively on racing leagues in rfactor, iracing PC are good and there are more wheel options. Mos othert games you mentioned are using the rfactor engine. Dirt rally when and if fully completed and released should be on consoles too. New track mania is confirmed for release as well. No one is going to upgrade their PC for Euro truck simulator games. PS4 will have at least 2 if not more exclusive racing games. Games prices are cheap on consoles too if you know when to purchase it. I bought F1 2013, Absolute supercars on PS3 for 10$. Grid2 was free as a PS+ member and can use it as long as I am the member.
When I was thinking about buying a pc vs. PS4 last year, it was over $1000 for the console + new wheel + 4 years of PS+. And that didn't include 3 pedals and a shifter. Because Logitech/Sony et al. decided not to make the then current G series wheels compatible, I would have had to buy a new wheel to go next gen and at the time the T300 was the cheapest and only option. There are more options now, but the price is still approaching $500 and still doesn't include a shifter on any wheel as a standard option. Alternately I could take all that money, keep my perfectly good and almost new G27 and my backup DFGT and go the pc route. That's the part of the equation most people miss when talking about going next gen, the new wheel to go with it. If you are using a controller that's not part of the equation obviously, but once you are used to 3 pedals and a shifter it's hard to go backwards.

Sorry, but if you're trying to show value for that PS+ investment, Grid 2 is pretty much the opposite of that. The game was widely panned and mocked by the sim racing community. And I'm guessing you didn't get F1 2013 at launch for that price, whereas I got into AC last fall right before the launch of 1.0 for $23 on a Steam sale. I also got the upgrade to 1.0 for free. The only console games you get for that price are either crap or old and AC is neither.

Take a look at this, it will be cheaper than buying a new driving wheel.

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/playing-on-ps4-with-a-logitech-driving-force-gt.336625/
The calibration looks wrong. At 4:18 when he turns the wheel to the left, the gauge on screen still says 51, when it should be going 0-100 when he's all the way to the left. There has been a couple of these on the market and all have proven fake so far. When an independent third party like Inside Sim Racing reviews it and gives it an ok, then I'd say it's legit.

The irony is that I will buy PS4 compatible wheel(Thrusmaster T150 if it is reliable enough)because my DFGT is old and needs replacement but I will not buy PS4 :lol:
LFS S2 license here I come :cool:

I spent over $600 for the whole GT Package a few months before release, including purchasing GT5 and GT6. The G27 wheel was $250, the console was around $300, and the games were around $60 each. I'm aiming for paying about the same once more, keeping my old home-made wheel stand. It sounds more than possible, if not cheaper, by the time GT Sport comes out. Although I do want the T300 with the shifter and pedals, but I might be a bit too ambitious at this point.

Thankfully, I'm 99% sorted for GTS.
I bought my PS4 the beginning of this year specifically for pCARS. Thrustmaster T300RS, TP3A pedals and TH8A shifter were already being used on my PS3 as A: my DFGTwas dying and B: I knew legacy Logitech wheels wouldn't be compatible with the PS4.
All in all almost £900 including pCARS digital edition which is an expensive initial outlay for one game, but spread that out over a period of a few months and it makes more sense, rather than waiting almost until the release of a AAA driving / racing game when the prices of peripherals will sky rocket is just crazy IMHO.

Last edited:
I spent over $600 for the whole GT Package a few months before release, including purchasing GT5 and GT6. The G27 wheel was $250, the console was around $300, and the games were around $60 each. I'm aiming for paying about the same once more, keeping my old home-made wheel stand. It sounds more than possible, if not cheaper, by the time GT Sport comes out. Although I do want the T300 with the shifter and pedals, but I might be a bit too ambitious at this point.
The T500 with the excellent T3PA pro pedals is on sale at NCIX and Staples for $CDN669. It was at Canada Computers for $649 but I can't get into their site for some reason.

Also, @HB Jones, you can change the thread title.

Ps4 $350
Rseat formula V2 $1399
GT 7 $60 (probably)
I already have a T300rs with T500 pedals.
This is going to be my most expensive game to date.
Guess I"ll be eating ramen noodles for a while :D.
I just hope it is better than GT6.

Back