Could Gran Turismo Go Mobile? Sony to Adapt "Most Popular Franchises" for Mobile Platforms

Well, the latest phones are certainly powerful enough to run the games, at least graphically. And there's the option of streaming, too. This was only a matter of time. Mobile gaming makes a heck of lot more money than the traditional console market, and Sony would be idiots not to tap into such a lucrative market segment.

As far as GT going mobile, though... Personally, I'm okay with it as long as another developer well versed in the mobile gaming sector, not PDI, handles development. But I can see why some people would find the idea problematic.

Last edited:
So basically, Gran Turismo Portable but on mobile devices instead of a handheld console (Which would make it "Gran Turismo Mobile"). Interesting concept but last I checked, PD doesn't have any positions remotely capable of making a mobile title (at least one to be even remotely on the same level of visual fidelity as their console title).

Wouldn't that also require abit more outsourcing then they already do with car models?

Last edited:
Wouldn't that also require abit more outsourcing then they already do with car models?

Indeed, and unless they've changed their minds, they won't outsource or hand off the GT name to any other developer. So I highly doubt GT will be a title that is one that Sony plan to move over, because PD aren't going to have the time to make it (We all remember how long the PSP game took). Plus you have the huge increase of licensing costs for the cars and tracks with a racing game that you don't have with their other first party games.

Don't see it.

Last edited:
The licensing doesn't have to be a big stumbling block if they have planned ahead, current licenses could include all Gran Turismo games for x years or they could include the cars in GT7-whatever (usually with a time limited clause as well).

I don't really see it either though unless Sony becomes the driving force behind it and force PD's hand, that's unlikely IMO but it's not impossible.

current licenses could include all Gran Turismo games for x years or they could include the cars in GT7-whatever (usually with a time limited clause as well).

They could, but I don't think that is common. Rights holders don't tend to just hand out broad, "do what you want" licenses for their content because they then have little control over what its used for, stuff they might not like. Or like this specific example, where their product would go from exposure to ~10m on console to perhaps ~50m+ with a free mobile game.

They instead tend to be "You'll include it in X project as agreed, any further use we talk again".

Last edited:
They could, but I don't think that is common. Rights holders don't tend to just hand out broad, "do what you want" licenses for their content because they then have little control over what its used for, stuff they might not like. Or like this specific example, where their product would go from exposure to ~10m on console to perhaps ~50m+ with a free mobile game.

They instead tend to be "You'll include it in X project as agreed, any further use we talk again".
They can certainly be the case, it's definitely a mixed bag when it comes to licensing deals, what you can easilly agree with one brand might easilly be a flat no from another.

Last edited:
A few years ago : no way. The IP belongs to Kaz and Poly. Even Sony can't say a word, just look at Driveclub (it could have been GT "Horizon")
Today : anything is possible. First, first party games on PC. Now on mobile.
Sony via Fate Grand Order makes billions of dollars, why not a few millions more with GT mobile game 100% outsourced.

Last edited:
If GT goes to mobile it'll either be the full PS game streamed via an xCloud style system or be a gacha fuelled gambling obsessed nightmare that could have negative implications for the console versions going forward

Port GT for PSP to mobile and I'll shell out $19.99 for that. Even better if they allow you to connect your PS controller to your phone via Bluetooth. I know licensing could be a bit of an issue, but I'm sure they could get most manufacturers on board.

If not that, then something like Motorsports Manager but with GT would be pretty cool. It could integrate with GT7 and allow you to "play" the game while away from your TV.

With the microtransaction crap Sony already shoves into the series and the original plan for GT:HD that Sony most certainly still remembers (and knows that nowadays they could actually get away with it compared to the backlash then), a GT game for phones would undoubtedly be one of the most exploitative P2W pieces of garbage in the history of the mobile space.

Last edited:
A few years ago : no way. The IP belongs to Kaz and Poly. Even Sony can't say a word, just look at Driveclub (it could have been GT "Horizon")
Today : anything is possible. First, first party games on PC. Now on mobile.
Sony via Fate Grand Order makes billions of dollars, why not a few millions more with GT mobile game 100% outsourced.

Highly doubt PD have changed their stance on that though. GT is still Kaz's baby, he won't let another studio do a game with that name.

Of course there is nothing stopping Sony hiring another company to make a similar but not that similar game on mobile, but it wouldn't have that brand name clout.

I see some potential options:
  • GTPSP for mobile, perhaps with things added from other PS2 GTs, like Special Stage Route 11 and previously hidden content like the Porsche 911.
  • Another older game, like GT3 or GT4.
  • A new game, perhaps based on GTS.
  • Gran Turismo Sport (later 7) over xCloud.
  • A new game in the GT IP, perhaps not even related to existing GT games, like the 'B-Spec Bob Manager' idea from earlier.
Port GT for PSP to mobile and I'll shell out $19.99 for that. Even better if they allow you to connect your PS controller to your phone via Bluetooth. I know licensing could be a bit of an issue, but I'm sure they could get most manufacturers on board. If not that, then something like Motorsports Manager but with GT would be pretty cool. It could integrate with GT7 and allow you to "play" the game while away from your TV.
Well, since they kept the licenses for pretty much all cars until GT6, I don't think it would be a problem.

Last edited:
Sony better port all their exclusive games to PC because their consoles have restriction even for physical games through CMOS battery.

Last edited:
How do we connect a wheel and pedals to our cell phone? :D

To be fair, we live in a timeline where someone was crazy enough to somehow make a Microwave a controller (It has to be seen to be believed). I wouldn't put it pass someone to somehow make that work.

Couldn't be worse than what FORZA did.

With how Gran Turismo's games are accessible to controller, not requiring a wheel to feel like you can control a realisticaly modeled handling car, I can see them doing a game with controls like your typical 3d mobile racer: Steering with motion, from them I would expect the requirement of throttle AND brakes as separate commands, and doing a good job at it. GT PSP was great and adapted great to the fiddly, stubby analog of the PSP, only being let down by there not being two of them.

GT feels great on PS1, PS2, PSP, PS3, PS4, they always get it right. The Gran Turismos on PS3 are MY FAVORITE HANDLING RACING GAMES EVER. I only played the PS3 ones with a wheel to compare to controller, so on that front I can't tell, but I CAN tell that they know handling with "simpler" inputs, having used these all my life. And I really don't think they would be the kind to do a side-on drag racer, the long-lost drag racing mode of Gran Turismo, of LEGEND!

...BUT, I don't think Gran Turismo is going to be made into a mobile game. I would have hopes it would be good if it did, but I don't think that's where we're headed.

EDIT: For now, our best bet with a mobile GT is "Gran Turismo 2+" played on a phone with good physical controls (i.e. the good old Xperia Play could already get the job done, and the Moto Z Play I have my eyes on too, or with you connecting a PS3 or PS4 controller to it)

Last edited:
Being able to take Gran Turismo with me on the PSP was brilliant. No other mobile game has come close to replicating the fun, because soo many of them are utter garbage with microtransactions. Mobile games do not interest me in the slightest, and it's been that way for a while now. Bringing Gran Turismo back to a portable device will make me happy if it's done right.

Back