Counter steering

• Thread starter Loon
  • 16 comments
GTPLoon
D1 Loon
When you get into a drift, do you counter steer immediately, or do you wait a second, then begin to counter steer?

I wait a second then start to counter. If I do it immediately the rear end comes around to much to early, and I wind up losing the drift because I have to much angle.

So how do y'all do it?

I'm pretty sure you'll find this in the Drift faq. But in light of your question, I usually do what the situation requires. If I'm sliding and there is no real need I'll keep the wheels slight neutral until further notice. If I go into a drift with little real control, I'll counter immediately to avoid spinning out.

I go into a turn, right when the rear end slips, i try to ease on the countersteer, its verty difficult, and not possible while tired
but thats what i try to do.
I usually just et it slip, and slap the steerer far enough, and compensate.
nice threead.. Is that how you do it every time though LOON?

Its pretty much what I always do, unless its a small turn like a hair pin, then I'll counter right away.

Well, I make sure that the car is facing the clipping point of the turn, if not I activate the Ebrake just like what it says in the Drift Bible.

if you watch any of my videos with the wheel you can see exactly what i do. usually i feint+brake a lot so the wheel is almost always moving.

Well I know in ske's faq he says to counter immediatley but he uses a wheel so I didn't know if it was any different for those of us who use the DS2.

You just have to feel out the corner. Thats how I do it, just feel what the car is doing and react to it. There is no set method for anything.

when you 'react' to the car, you aren't truly driving it. you should be making the car react to you.

Depends on the car.. some cars need a bit of delay or twiching to kick out the rear while others respond really quickly to "preemptive" countersteer..

If you spin out when countersteering too fast, you need to practice a bit of footwork ;) It's very important to coordinate the steering and throttle/braking, as what you do with your feet have a big influence on how the car reacts to steering.

I'm with Ske. It depends on the car completely. I usually wait though. Just because I think in a lot of cases it makes your drift more fun. But that's just my personal thing. :D

I countersteer as soon as I start drifting it helps me hold my line better and negotiate the turn itself .. you want to add countersteer as you gain angle in your drift then decrease throttle input and countersteer as you come to the end of the turn.

i most often drift AWDs, but recently i've been into low powered MRs. Anywho, with MRs and AWDs i dont immediately countersteer jsut yet, depending what knid of a drift initiation is performed. If i magically pull this "fishtail", then i have to counter steer immediately, especially with MRs otherwise, the car gains too much angle and any throttle applied is futile. I have drift entry problems and fail to do liek ANY decent drift entry, EXCEPT for High Speed Feint/ Braking Drift. Then is when i wait a little for the over steer to kick in. Then I begin counter steering..

I'm surprised noone has made this thread before, otherwise you could've gotten into a big load of Poop.

LOoL @ LOON *they both have "O"s in the middel"
Suzuki does have a point...
I think it is essential to have a little counter steer throughout a drift, but I am a slacker.

Thanks for keeping the forum alive blitz, and i find it more challenging to try to make it look real, so thats why i try to get the countersteer early. It especially helps if you try to do 180* turns like in the "drift Bible"

Back