counter steering

• Thread starter GangsTaGT
  • 16 comments
i recently got back into gt4 drifting and i can never get counter steering right. even when i counter steer very little, the car starts turning around on itself, always increasing its angle. i use the analog sticks and i've tried pushing a bit, the reset to rest and push a bit more and repeat, but i always end up with the same results. this does not happen at every corner. one example is the final corner after the straight on tsukuba, i enter the drift and counter steer a bit and the car just keeps increasing its angle and i can never drift the whole thing. any ideas on what i'm doing wrong and how to fix it?

Too much angle = increase countersteering.

Not enough angle = decrease countersteering.

i recently got back into gt4 drifting and i can never get counter steering right. even when i counter steer very little, the car starts turning around on itself, always increasing its angle. i use the analog sticks and i've tried pushing a bit, the reset to rest and push a bit more and repeat, but i always end up with the same results. this does not happen at every corner. one example is the final corner after the straight on tsukuba, i enter the drift and counter steer a bit and the car just keeps increasing its angle and i can never drift the whole thing. any ideas on what i'm doing wrong and how to fix it?

Ease up on the gas, it's just as important as counter steering, it controls angle aswell. See how that does.

As Greycap says, countersteering is to prevent angle. Countersteering as little as possible will cause the most angle and spinning out.

What car(s) are you driving? How much power?? What tires?

amuse s2k street, n2 tires, stock power and suspension with oil change
i'll try easing up on the gas, i usually hold it at about 3/4 and it happens with all cars i drift with

The gas control is not as important as countersteer (however important it may be)
You need to understand the correlation between countersteer and angle before you adjust gas. From what I read in your first post I think you might have it backwards.

The gas control is not as important as countersteer (however important it may be)
You need to understand the correlation between countersteer and angle before you adjust gas. From what I read in your first post I think you might have it backwards.

Wrong..accel work is very important....In fact it is how you control how big or little you want your angle to be. Drifting is a combination of both countersteer and accel work. Just keep practicing...that's all I can say.

Yeah, keep practicing, adn learn to modulate rather than just hit the gas full-on. GT4 is the hardest GT to achieve a drift without "losing it" with front-end snapback or rear-end spin-outs, so you've stacked yourself quite a challenge unfortunately :banghead:

yes im having trouble with snap back's and countersteering i guess practicings the key
ohh and also
how do you recover from spinnig out into the corner...
i wil try find threads which relate to this

yes im having trouble with snap back's and countersteering i guess practicings the key
ohh and also
how do you recover from spinnig out into the corner...
i wil try find threads which relate to this

Well once you've "spun out" it's already too late. The key is anticipating that you're about to spin and save yourself from doom. Usually, this is done by backing off the throttle and/or countersteering--but then you suddenly risk the front-end grabbing. And then the snap-back occurs :mad:

As i said, all of this seems muted in gT2 and 3, hence it was easier to start & maintain a drift. I used to do it occasionally right in the middle or races, matter of fact. 👍 It's possible in GT4, and i'm just starting to get the hang of it in some cars (others like the Pontiac GTO Tempest are too difficult for me now). So yeah it just takes alot of practice. Go slow at first, get a partial drift (rather than going for a full-on power drift) at first.

yes ill jus keep practising
thanx for da advice mate cheers

English is your first language correct? In the AUP that you agreed to clearly states that "No slang words that promote laziness, ie; "r", "u", "plz", etc. will be tolerated. Decent grammar is expected, including proper usage of capital letters. Repeated violations will be grounds for suspension and/or permanent removal from the forums."

Yeah. For some reason drifters are notoriously bad with grammar and spelling. I don't know what it is....must be part of the laid-back culture. :)

Yeah. For some reason drifters are notoriously bad with grammar and spelling. I don't know what it is....must be part of the laid-back culture. :)

"Tru-dat", WHOA, where'd that come from? i didn't say that, haha.

But seriously though, countersteering is VERRY cruicial on the Street Version. that S2k in particular is probably the most sensitive car i ever drifted in my life. Try a regular Honda S2000 from the dealership those are much easier, in my opinion.

Back