COVID-19/Coronavirus Information and Support Thread (see OP for useful links)

• Thread starter baldgye
  • 13,234 comments
I know there's already at least one movie on the 442nd, but I'm saying there should be a new one.
Mr. Miyagi was in the 442nd. "Lost to history" in the way that Tulsa was is a bit of an overstatement.

Last edited:
I’ve never heard that many good things about that state. I only know about the Tulsa riots from a century ago, the 1995 OKC bombing, and the musical that starred Hugh Jackman.
The Flaming Lips

(Help me out here.)

Sadly, I'd not even heard of the Tulsa Massacre until about 7-8 years ago. Amazing how that got swept under the rug of history.
In the vein of musicians, Oklahoma has a bunch of country musicians: Garth Brooks, Carrie Underwood, Blake Shelton, Reba McEntire, Toby Keith, and Vince Gill. Woody Guthrie was also from Oklahoma. In addition to the mentioned Flaming Lips, the Kings of Leon are from Oklahoma.

Will Rogers was from Oklahoma. Astronaut Shannon Lucid is also from Oklahoma.

On the entertainment front, Brad Pitt, Chuck Norris, Ron Howard, James Garner, Rue McClanahan, among others.

Sports wise: Mickey Mantle, Johnny Bench, Jim Thorpe, Bill Goldberg, Blake Griffin, among others.

Wilma Mankiller is pretty awesome.

In the vein of musicians, Oklahoma has a bunch of country musicians: Garth Brooks, Carrie Underwood, Blake Shelton, Reba McEntire, Toby Keith, and Vince Gill. Woody Guthrie was also from Oklahoma. In addition to the mentioned Flaming Lips, the Kings of Leon are from Oklahoma.

Will Rogers was from Oklahoma. Astronaut Shannon Lucid is also from Oklahoma.

On the entertainment front, Brad Pitt, Chuck Norris, Ron Howard, James Garner, Rue McClanahan, among others.

Sports wise: Mickey Mantle, Johnny Bench, Jim Thorpe, Bill Goldberg, Blake Griffin, among others.

Wilma Mankiller is pretty awesome.
My memories of Oklahoma from 2012 are of a long flat drive, which we did mostly on the highway to make time (the Will Rogers highway).

We did enjoy the blue whale at Catoosa though, and the Route 66 museum at Clinton was good and entertaining.

We had been passed by a massive cold front when in St Louis though and it was far from warm, Oklahoma gets very drafty being so flat!

My memories of Oklahoma from 2012 are of a long flat drive, which we did mostly on the highway to make time (the Will Rogers highway).

We did enjoy the blue whale at Catoosa though, and the Route 66 museum at Clinton was good and entertaining.

We had been passed by a massive cold front when in St Louis though and it was far from warm, Oklahoma gets very drafty being so flat!
There are big chunks of the state that is flat and the route you took is definitely flat. I have not seen the Catoosa blue whale.

Fun fact, Oklahoma has 12 different ecoregions.

I go in for my booster tomorrow, hopefully it goes better than my second shot (nothing serious, just terrible chills, but I still missed a day of work).

On a side note I'm still surprised the government funded stuff my work does hasn't required anything besides masks yet considering it involves going into people's houses.

I found this hilarious. By acting like a petulant child it is likely he will end up dead given he's about 60 years old. But also for someone who likes to brag on an ongoing basis about how he's such an awesome scientist and that data matters, his reaction to study results are just childish. I don't know, am I missing something?
Screenshot_20220123-223251_Twitter.jpg

Last edited:
I was going to get my booster (along with my wife) this afternoon, but then my daughter tested positive this morning.

A kid from her classroom tested positive on Saturday, so they tested the remaining kids today. Sure enough, my daughter had caught it...

I know we're at a point where it's more or less inevitable that we'll get covid (especially those with children), but still it's ****ing frustrating and I can't say that I'm not a bit concerned.

I found this hilarious. By acting like a petulant child it is likely he will end up dead given he's about 60 years old. But also for someone who likes to brag on an ongoing basis about how he's such an awesome scientist and that data matters, his reaction to study results are just childish. I don't know, am I missing something?
Peterson's been on a role of "tough guy" stuff recently like tweeting "Say it to my face bucko" or, "Bet you wouldn't say such things to Joe's face".

Like you said, this guy is 60 years old & nearly died once already. Covid alone would probably wreck this guy's still recovering health, he isn't in position to be making physical threats to anyone.

"Over my dead body" could be a self-own if he's not lying about avoiding the vaccine.
It's like telling your kids they'll inherit your house over your dead body. Like, yeah, that was the entire point. Congratulations on understanding how death works. Wanna cookie for being a smart boy? It's got chocolate chips and strychnine.

since it can evade some PCR tests.
Not quite...
1643133146171.png

In short, this version of Omicron should show up perfectly fine on PCR tests, but due to the absence of one of the mutations that OG Omicron had it doesn't stick out as different to any of the previous variants.

EDIT: The tweet imbedded wrong, so I put in a screenshot. Here is a link to it (or somewhere in the thread) if you want to go down a rabbit hole.

Last edited:
Not quite...
View attachment 1108221

In short, this version of Omicron should show up perfectly fine on PCR tests, but due to the absence of one of the mutations that OG Omicron had it doesn't stick out as different to any of the previous variants.

EDIT: The tweet imbedded wrong, so I put in a screenshot. Here is a link to it (or somewhere in the thread) if you want to go down a rabbit hole.
Ah ok, that makes more sense. I'm guessing the initial reporting of the virus that I read was incorrect.

Ah ok, that makes more sense. I'm guessing the initial reporting of the virus that I read was incorrect.
No blame on you - most of the news articles I just looked at to make my post alluded to what you wrote, which is somewhere between misleading and complete BS. One of them mentioned a scientist, which led me to the lad above who works at Imperial College as a virologist.

@Joey D @Barra333 Is this similar or the same as the one described as Omicron Like discovered in Queensland back in December? Or is it another one again? It sounds similar in the way that it does get detected as Covid 19 but it doesn't get detected as Omicron.
So now we also have Omicron Like.

Chief Health Officer Peter Aitken said the scientific services team picked up the differences in the new Omicron variant.

"[They] recognised there are differences between the full and normal Omicron classification, passed it on to the international committee in a really quick time frame," he said.

"The important part is those two sub-lineages, one has the S gene dropout and is the normal means of screening for Omicron … but then this other gene then doesn't have this S gene dropout."

Last edited:
@Joey D @Barra333 Is this similar or the same as the one described as Omicron Like discovered in Queensland back in December? Or is it another one again? It sounds similar in the way that it does get detected as Covid 19 but it doesn't get detected as Omicron.
I think the sub-variant found in Queensland had a different mutation but is still considered a sub-variant of Omicron. So it's likely pretty similar.

===

The EU has given the green light to Pfizer's Paxlovid COVID treatment.

While purely anecdotal, we're seeing pretty decent success with the drug where I work even if we have a limited supply. Hopefully, we can actually get a proper stock of it and start administering it to more patients, especially now that the monoclonal antibodies don't really work for Omicron.

64k cases a day here, but most likely more as our testers can't handle the sheer amount anymore. Averaging 48% positive tests. We've seen a small rise in hospitalisations for 2 days, but it's now dropping again. 1131 total, 233 on the IC. Lowest number since the 1st of November.

Testing? What's that? I have more chance of finding a unicorn than getting a RAT, and only vulnerable people can get PCR tests right now.
Despite pretty much everything starting way too late, and questionable decisions left, right and centre, when things are in motion it really goes.

But, making an appointment for testing is taking a bit longer than normal. Plenty of self test available though.

Testing? What's that? I have more chance of finding a unicorn than getting a RAT, and only vulnerable people can get PCR tests right now.
Fortunately, we have LFTs/RATs available easily here... order online from the NHS and get them delivered to your door 24-48 hours later (if not sooner), and all for free. And there is even stalls in the street where you can just pick them up - I got 2 packs of seven from the train station on Monday. (It angers me, though, that the UK government are toying with the idea of scrapping free testing altogether, as if their fat cat contracts are not already enriching them and their cronies anyway...)

That said, I'm very uncomfortable about the way things are headed with long COVID and infections among the young - HUGE numbers of young people are getting infected now and hospitalisations among children and babies are rising... although proportionally they are still far lower than other age groups, the idea that we know much (or indeed anything at all) about the long term implications of childhood SARS-CoV-2 infections is a complete fantasy, and yet it is something that so many so-called experts and loudmouth nutjobs all over the world seem to know SO much more about than the entire scientific community... and, alas, many governments including the UK seem delighted to take the chance that infections amongst children are effectively meaningless - even though the evidence is growing that this is far from the truth.

-

On a separate note, my friend has still not returned from her Xmas holidays as her boyfriend's brother is critically ill with COVID right now. I don't know how old he is, but he must be mid to late 20's/early 30's, but has been in ICU for several days. So much for "mild".

Last edited:
Fortunately, we have LFTs/RATs available easily here... order online from the NHS and get them delivered to your door 24-48 hours later (if not sooner), and all for free. And there is even stalls in the street where you can just pick them up - I got 2 packs of seven from the train station on Monday. (It angers me, though, that the UK government are toying with the idea of scrapping free testing altogether, as if their fat cat contracts are not already enriching them and their cronies anyway...)

That said, I'm very uncomfortable about the way things are headed with long COVID and infections among the young - HUGE numbers of young people are getting infected now and hospitalisations among children and babies are rising... although proportionally they are still far lower than other age groups, the idea that we know much (or indeed anything at all) about the long term implications of childhood SARS-CoV-2 infections is a complete fantasy, and yet it is something that so many so-called experts and loudmouth nutjobs all over the world seem to know SO much more about than the entire scientific community... and, alas, many governments including the UK seem delighted to take the chance that infections amongst children are effectively meaningless - even though the evidence is growing that this is far from the truth.

-

On a separate note, my friend has still not returned from her Xmas holidays as her boyfriend's brother is critically ill with COVID right now. I don't know how old he is, but he must be mid to late 20's/early 30's, but has been in ICU for several days. So much for "mild".
Was he unvaccinated?

Latest Posts

Back