COVID-19/Coronavirus Information and Support Thread (see OP for useful links)

• Thread starter baldgye
  • 13,234 comments
Is it surprising a lot of viruses that killed off so many people all come from China.

Chinese eat anything that moves. A lot of the far eastern countries eat some awful and weird stuff.

Honestly we need to send pizzas, kebabs and burgers to these people. Send some normal stuff.

Vegans should literally use the chinese as propaganda to turn people off from meat.

Is it surprising a lot of virus that killed off so many people all come from China.

Chinese eat anything that moves. A lot of the far eastern countries eat some awful and weird stuff.

Honestly we need to send pizzas, kebabs and burgers to these people.

Chinese food is fantastic. Their cuisine hits very high levels. Even inner-city poor Chinese cook some amazing dishes to eat at home. I have been treated to what was called a "representative" home-cooked meal in Beijing.

But they also have a rather adventurous palate compared to other nationalities. People there are willing to eat scorpion and cockroach on a stick. But it seems to be used (at least in the cities) more as an interesting change-of-pace, like getting cotton candy at a fair, rather than for survival.

Is it surprising a lot of virus that killed off so many people all come from China.

Honestly we need to send pizzas, kebabs and burgers to these people. Send some normal stuff.

Vegans should literally use the chinese as propaganda to turn people off from meat.

:banghead: That is one of the most ignorant posts I have read so far in 2020.

Look up bat soup then come to me

They have pizza, burgers, and kebabs. They like traditional chinese food more (judging by the foot traffic). I had pizza and burgers in China. Pizza is not going to be widely loved by the chinese since dairy is a little harder to come by, and lactose intolerance abounds. Cheese products in general are not particularly common (in my experience).

McDonald's in China for example does a lot of business in porridge (congee).

Chinese food is fantastic. Their cuisine hits very high levels. Even inner-city poor Chinese cook some amazing dishes to eat at home. I have been treated to what was called a "representative" home-cooked meal in Beijing.

But they also have a rather adventurous palate compared to other nationalities. People there are willing to eat scorpion and cockroach on a stick. But it seems to be used (at least in the cities) more as an interesting change-of-pace, like getting cotton candy at a fair, rather than for survival.

My dad eats sheep's brains and ox tongue along with tripe soup. His Turkish and tells me it is good for you and I say no HELL NO. I never forget the days where I was forced to drink that tripe soup or have ox tongue soup.

I dont care whos culture it is i aint eating weird stuff.

Give me a Steak or a Kofte anyday of the week.

Italians eat maggot filled cheese, Moose nose in canada, Steer testicles in spain, Roadkill in the USA etc.

Every culture eats disgusting things but it seems the Chinese eat animals that are disease ridden especially wild animals like bats.

Bats again? As far as I know the original source of Ebola was also bats that were eaten as ill-cooked bushmeat in Africa.

Every culture eats disgusting things but it seems the Chinese eat animals that are disease ridden especially wild animals like bats.

So a diet with chicken (bird flu), beef (mad cow) are entirely risk-free?
You are generalising a population of 1.4 Billion. Not all chinese eat bat-soup, just like not all australians eat lizard or grub.

So a diet with chicken (bird flu), beef (mad cow) are entirely risk-free?
You are generalising a population of 1.4 Billion. Not all chinese eat bat-soup, just like not all australians eat lizard or grub.

I'm not agreeing with Sesto - and I'm no expert, but to me eating wild carnivorous animals is inherently more risky... un-monitored bio-accumulation of diseases etc.

FWIW, I'm not a vegan but most animal based products we eat are pretty weird when you think about it, no matter how socially normalised it is within a culture.

I'm not agreeing with Sesto - and I'm no expert, but to me eating wild carnivorous animals is inherently more risky... un-monitored bio-accumulation of diseases etc.

FWIW, I'm not a vegan but most animal based products we eat are pretty weird when you think about it, no matter how socially normalised it is within a culture.

Not denying that at all. Eating roadkill seems risky to me as well. However the way he worded it is kind of offensive. Especially when referring to "normal stuff".

However the way he worded it is kind of offensive. Especially when referring to "normal stuff".

I can see that.

Whilst not being one, I live with a vegan, and it's enough of an education for me to question most animal based foods equally, the culture that eats them is somewhat secondary to me.

I saw on a reddit forum that it was inevitable that meat would come up as a source of the virus, and a target for government and social censure and regulation. I guess it's not the worst conspiracy theory out there on the coronavirus.

Is eating road kill actually a thing? I know people who will take the head from road kill, but I've never heard of anyone actually eating roadkill.

I saw on a reddit forum that it was inevitable that meat would come up as a source of the virus, and a target for government and social censure and regulation. I guess it's not the worst conspiracy theory out there on the coronavirus.

It isnt a conspiracy theory. Bats, spoils from hunting or roadkill are not regulated by government or tested. Al lot of these kind of viruses originate from animal viruses.

Is eating road kill actually a thing? I know people who will take the head from road kill, but I've never heard of anyone actually eating roadkill.

In certain states in the USA it is more common then people think.

From a Yale research paper:

We estimate the basic reproduction number of the infection (R_0) to be 3.8 (95% confidence interval, 3.6-4.0), indicating that 72-75% of transmissions must be prevented by control measures for infections to stop increasing. We estimate that only 5.1% (95%CI, 4.8-5.5) of infections in Wuhan are identified, and by 21 January a total of 11,341 people (prediction interval, 9,217-14,245) had been infected in Wuhan since the start of the year. Should the epidemic continue unabated in Wuhan, we predict the epidemic in Wuhan will be substantially larger by 4 February (191,529 infections)
https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.01.23.20018549v1

If more than 3% of the infected die, or the infection rate is higher, that is not terribly good news.

Coronavirus
renderTimingPixel.png

In certain states in the USA it is more common then people think.
As common as it's made out to be, it's actually not as common as y'all think. Yeah people do pick up "fresh" roadkill or an animal they might have hit on accident but, my friend that lives in the N. GA mountains jokes about picking up roadkill but he never does. He prefers a fresh kill on his property.

As common as it's made out to be, it's actually not as common as y'all think. Yeah people do pick up "fresh" roadkill or an animal they might have hit on accident but, my friend that lives in the N. GA mountains jokes about picking up roadkill but he never does. He prefers a fresh kill on his property.

You just confirmed my statement though. Also do consider that "game" meat also has a higher risk of carrying diseases I presume. Are there any agencies that check up on these animals?

This coronavirus outbreak looks to be far worse than the SARS epidemic.

https://news.yahoo.com/health-experts-issued-ominous-warning-170400102.html

I blame social media for that, for know.

Apparently Flu kills as much as 1% of infected (that's the high point on the error bars though)

Although reporting is extremely important to make sure people are informed and to prevent the virus from spreading, I also think there is a lot of misinformation out there. I have many chinese personnel and they are scared to death by social media "fake"news. They are saying that people coughing on the public street are being quarentined, Someone puking on the street can infect as much as 15 people, 5000 people already infected, more then a hundred deaths, etc.

But I tried to explain, at the moment, the chance of getting hit by a car is 20 times higher then catching and dying from this virus.

Are there any agencies that check up on these animals?
I'm pretty sure there are. I don't know though.
The mountain he stays on is a "wildlife sanctuary". The local animal control will drop off animals(deer, bear, turkey, racoon etc...) on the mountain, that they pick up in the local town(closest gas station/convenient store is a little over 7 miles from his house). He can hunt during specific hunting seasons but can't kill anything like a bear or coyote unless it's in self-defense. He'd be fined or jailed if it's not in season or self-defense.

All that said I'm pretty sure the DNR or some government agency is keeping track of those things and probably some college is studying the local animals if the government isn't.

Yeah, I am almost positive it's more of an urban myth that actuality. But your definitely not going to a restaurant or even a market and buying it, that's for sure.
You just confirmed my statement though. Also do consider that "game" meat also has a higher risk of carrying diseases I presume. Are there any agencies that check up on these animals?
Yes, agencies check up on this and there are voluntary and mandatory checks on certain game. For instance, in lower Michigan, chronic wasting syndrome in deers is becoming a problem. It's not unlike mad cow disease, but in deer. As such, there are mandatory checks on all tagged game before its processed. Most hunters will heed that mandate. State and federal DNR, game wardens and most universities also keep track of herds and natural habitat conditions and animals found dead or sick are often turned in to or reported to said agencies for examination.
In truth, catching wild game in the states may in fact be a healthier alternative to eating factory farmed animals, which come with a whole host of other risks, that include disease. Arguably more ethical than factory farming as well.
I blame social media for that, for know.

Although reporting is extremely important to make sure people are informed and to prevent the virus from spreading, I also think there is a lot of misinformation out there. I have many chinese personnel and they are scared to death by social media "fake"news. They are saying that people coughing on the public street are being quarentined, Someone puking on the street can infect as much as 15 people, 5000 people already infected, more then a hundred deaths, etc.

But I tried to explain, at the moment, the chance of getting hit by a car is 20 times higher then catching and dying from this virus.
I hope and mostly think you are right, but only time will tell.

When I lived in Michigan and would go deer hunting, you could take any tagged deer (that's one harvested legally) to a check station. I did it with every deer I shot. I know they looked for various diseases, including TB which you can get from deers. They'd also note the kill and record information about where you got it and what not for conservation management. For your trouble, they'd also give you a nifty looking patch.

We have something similar in Utah as well.

*Tree'd

Latest Posts

Back