COVID-19/Coronavirus Information and Support Thread (see OP for useful links)

• Thread starter baldgye
  • 13,234 comments
It's always nice to see that the guinea-pigs are on an island.

Don't let that fool you, there's always the Channel Tunnel! Although that would at least be easy to block off from the zombie hordes

Don't let that fool you, there's always the Channel Tunnel! Although that would at least be easy to block off from the zombie hordes
See, this is why the Irish are safe (and don't have a tunnel).

What is staggering is just how quickly all of this has been done. The suspicion is that these vaccines will not be as safe or have not been as thoroughly tested and vetted as others, but the reality is that much of the process of getting a vaccine approved is bureaucracy and is driven mainly with a profit margin in mind. This time around, practically the entire global scientific (academic and commercial) apparatus, manpower and capital has been focused like a laser on answering this one challenge, and with (so far, anyway) stunning results...

Would i be right in saying that one of the main reasons they've able to turn it around so quickly is that its an mRNA type of vaccine and that they're much quicker to develop?

An interesting study that says if 70% of the population wore a mask, the pandemic could end.

The perspective of fluid flow behavior of respiratory droplets and aerosols through the facemasks in context of SARS-CoV-2
To further expand (and expound) upon your post, I looked this up and it looks to me that they're quoting this enlightening flu risk assessment by Jing Yan and his colleagues.

https://doi.org/10.1111/risa.13181

Yan gang
In this article, a risk assessment model previously developed in general form was used to estimate the effectiveness of different types of protective equipment in reducing the rate of infection in an influenza outbreak.

It was found that a 50% compliance in donning the device resulted in a significant (at least 50% prevalence and 20% cumulative incidence) reduction in risk for fitted and unfitted N95 respirators, high‐filtration surgical masks, and both low‐filtration and high‐filtration pediatric masks. An 80% compliance rate essentially eliminated the influenza outbreak. The results of the present study, as well as the application of the model to related influenza scenarios, are potentially useful to public health officials in decisions involving resource allocation or education strategies.

We're on the second day of the terrible breach of muh freedom mask mandate and really weird but true, everyone is wearing a mask in indoors public places. No bitching, no moaning. Nothing. I had a busy day of shop hopping and I asked in every store how it was going. People accept it.

What seems to be helping is that on every door there is not only a Mask required sign but also a No discussion sign.

Looks like my nephew came down with it, went to the ER b/c his body ached & his head hurt something fierce. They confirmed he has it, sent him home with some strong medication. Guy has asthma & smokes, not surprised he's getting hit harder than most in their 20's.

The sad thing is, it's basically a "leopards ate my face" kind of situation, except his mom & sister are the ones seeing what it does first hand. They had a family gathering for Thanksgiving, was shocked when they said if you've traveled during the holiday, assume you have it, and now her son has it. They are not out-right Covid deniers, but they might as well be making statements for months calling it into question, entertaining the Bill Gates theory, etc. Even today, still listening to some of the morons tell her, "Don't let it freak you out. Everyone will get it. Everyone I know has been okay except for 2 older people who died. We'll make China pay".... Some real, obvious Trump supporting folks on-par with being covidiots.

I hope he makes a recovery, but sorry to say, should things go south, I wonder if this will be the wake-up call they need to stop listening to their dumbass friends on FB.

My nephew got out of quarantine the Sunday before Thanksgiving as someone in his class tested positive for the virus. Just one week later, ANOTHER student in his class tested positive the day after Thanksgiving, so he's in quarantine again.

Most of N. Texas has now ordered bars & gyms closed, 50% capacity, elective surgeries postponed a day early. And of course, there's already a vocal minority of idiots crying but can't quite grasp that arguing theories about tiny percentages of deaths, only certain hospitals caring for Covid patients, different staff treat Covid patients, etc. etc. bs., all miss the obvious point: leaving the spread unchecked has put the medical resources into a costly & unnecessary spot of dictating priority care now. Thank your fellow community for being denied certain healthcare now.

Last edited:
The US is barrelling towards 3000 COVID deaths per day - and with a staggering 218,576 new cases recorded yesterday alone, the prognosis for daily deaths in the coming weeks is looking very grim.

Indeed, the US had so many new cases yesterday, that only 38 countries on the planet have had more cases in total than the US has just recorded in a single day. And with the Thanksgiving and Xmas holidays not having taken any effect yet, the death toll by the end of this month and into the new year is very likely going to be horrible. And yet, silence from Trump. But what's the betting that from Day 1 of Joe Biden's presidency, there will be attack ads decrying what a terrible state the country is in?

I only hope the GOP finally do the decent thing and denounce Trump the moment the Senate run-offs are over, and consign this odious human being to the garbage bin of history where he belongs. That or jail.

https://www.alaskasnewssource.com/2020/12/04/12-deaths-756-covid-19-cases-reported-friday/

Published: Dec. 4, 2020 at 12:13 PM AKST

ANCHORAGE, Alaska (KTUU) - The Department of Health and Social Services is reporting 12 additional deaths and 756 COVID-19 cases in Alaska Friday.

The total death count for the state is now 141 residents and one nonresident.

In a case summary for Friday, DHSS said three of the deaths are considered recent and the nine other deaths were added to the dashboard after death certificate review.

https://www.alaskasnewssource.com/2020/12/05/dhss-reports-933-new-covid-19-cases-and-one-new-death/

Published: Dec. 5, 2020 at 11:12 AM AKST|Updated: 58 minutes ago

ANCHORAGE, Alaska (KTUU) - The Department of Health and Social Services is reporting one additional death and 933 COVID-19 cases in Alaska Friday.

Saturday’s tally reflects the most new cases reported in a single day so far during the pandemic.

Anchorage Daily News

Last edited:
https://www.marketwatch.com/story/w...49?redirect=amp#click=https://t.co/vqZ6nL5s5g

MarketWatch
Frontline bank employees could get a shot in the arm in the coming months.

Tellers and other consumer-facing bank workers could jump ahead of most Americans for coronavirus inoculations, after vaccines receive widely anticipated emergency-use authorization from the Food and Drug Administration, potentially putting those financial-industry workers in line ahead of those 65 and older, other adults with medical issues and the rest of the U.S. population.

The American Bankers Association, which represents community banks, said it has asked the CDC to designate a narrow slice of the financial-services industry as “essential workers,” mainly adhering to guidelines issued by the Department of Homeland Security.

The ABA said it is specifically asking for vaccine prioritization of bank tellers and employees of rural banking branches.

I expect there will be a lot of organizations (and individuals) claiming to be more essential than others. Unfortunately I suspect these priority decisions will be based more on "financial contributions" than merit.
There may be a case to be made for rural bank tellers coming into contact with more people than isolated elderly people but if so then they need to make it clear that senior citizens aren't being hung out to dry as they're the ones who are most at risk. Health workers too.

Last edited:
To vaccinate or not to vaccinate, that is the question.
I only just got this joke.

My mum's at risk though so it's probably better to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune.

Last edited:
Back