COVID-19/Coronavirus Information and Support Thread (see OP for useful links)

• Thread starter baldgye
  • 13,234 comments
After a fast start, the UK vaccination program is slowing down...

As someone in their 40s, I currently have no idea when I will get my first shot. Even my parents who are both in their 70s have not had their 2nd shots yet, and I think they are both scheduled for the first week in May... so, I reckon I can expect to not have two shots done until September :ill:
100 million Americans have received at least their first dose, and reportedly the US is once again driving growth in the world economy. It is also reported that fewer than 0.01% of those fully vaccinated have contracted the virus.

Last edited:
And in the meantime,my 66 year old dad with lung cancer still hasn't even received the notice for the first shot.

Our government really REALLY dropped the ball on this one.

Fifteen hours post second shot and I'm dragging and sore but at work. Not sure how long that will last.
After a fast start, the UK vaccination program is slowing down...

As someone in their 40s, I currently have no idea when I will get my first shot. Even my parents who are both in their 70s have not had their 2nd shots yet, and I think they are both scheduled for the first week in May... so, I reckon I can expect to not have two shots done until September :ill:
North Dakota is begging people to get vaccinated because supply is increasing but demand has been steady. I wasn't expecting to have my first shot until June then out of nowhere my tier became eligible. Hopefully something similar happens for you and @Dennisch's dad.

Meanwhile my parents have just had their second jab (early June) cancelled, and I'm quite worried.

Understandable. Seems odd to cancel it so far ahead, makes me worry that maybe it's a sign that supplies aren't going to improve. Of course it could just be that even if supplies improve they might have realised they wouldn't catch up with giving jabs by then. To me it seems strange to have even been given a date for the second jab - I have one on my card but they made clear it was just approximate (England).

Personally I can probably live without the vaccine for a while yet, but I don't think it is fair or sensible to allow people of my age (who typically have kids at school) to go unvaccinated for too long while their unvaccinated kids are back in school... that is a recipe for disaster.

Really difficult to assess the risk/reward on this. It's probably OK only as long as we keep to (the original) vaccination targets and no variants start to spread. Seems like we're going to slip a bit on the vaccine target, although probably not enough to be a real worry. Variants are just a wildcard - to my mind it's not if but when one will spread, relative to vaccination, and then nobody knows what effect it might have - could be anywhere from nothing burger to oh ****.

I'm not sure it's wise to go ahead with this part of Step 3 even if we are not behind on vaccinations (BBC)...
But the latest DfE guidance says: "It is expected that face coverings will no longer be required to be worn in classrooms, or by students in other communal areas, at step three of the roadmap, which will be no earlier than 17 May."

Requested the day off for my 2nd dose on the 27th and of course my boss is hard pressed to let me have it. Even though emails went out months ago telling us we could. (But we have to use our vacation time...)

Total BS. It's in their own interest to have their employees vaccinated.

My wife, a 1st grade teacher, who has been in the classroom 5 days a week since late September of 2020, has been fully vaccinated for 3 weeks. She got her first jab in late February. Pfizer. She doesn't have asthma but she has very bad allergies and she takes asthma medication. She's had 7 close calls and had to be tested 7 times since September--all 7 times negative. Thank goodness. I kept saying it was just a matter of time. And she was a prime candidate for somebody who might suffer badly after being infected with Covid-19.

She teaches in a very pro-Trump district and right wing media has stirred up a war against the teacher's union. They've all been warned for months not to post anything even slightly controversial on social media. Until March, most teachers were in the school 5 days/week but the students were broken down into 2 cohorts, each in class 2 or 3 days, depending on the week. Starting last week, all the students, except those who are still fully virtual, are back in the class every day. The parents were threatening to sue, or worse, if they didn't get kids back in full time. The school is struggling. They do not have proper social distancing. Many of the younger kids, especially the LLD kids, don't have a clue about personal hygiene. We're maybe 2 months away from having the majority of the adult population full immunized. These parents have totally lost their minds. I'm just glad my wife is vaccinated.

For the record she had no symptoms after her first shot. Maybe just a little tired/exhausted. After her second shot, shew as running a temperature of 100-101*F for 3 days and she felt like she had a sunburn over her entire body and suffered a terrible, non-stop migraine. On the 4th day, all her symptoms just completely disappeared.

I had my first dose, also Pfizer, last Thursday. I didn't suffer any symptoms except I was so tired/exhausted last weekend I felt like I could have slept 24/7. I'm assuming it was a side effect of the vaccine but who knows. I should have my second shot on April 24th.

FWIW, my one sister up state NY and her husband (a dentist) were vaccinated last month. And my two older sisters, in the greater Toronto area, are both scheduled for their first dose this weekend.

Last edited:
To me it seems strange to have even been given a date for the second jab - I have one on my card but they made clear it was just approximate (England).
I have a date/time for my second jab in late July. 112 days to the minute from the first one. Important to tightly adhere to arbitrarily extended timelines...

I have a date/time for my second jab in late July. 112 days to the minute from the first one. Important to tightly adhere to arbitrarily extended timelines...

My arbitrary date is an eleven week gap, 112 days is pretty extreme! At least for the AstraZeneca I had there is data to show that an increased gap gives better immunity so that aspect doesn't concern me (and for the other vaccines, there's no reason to think it makes them any less effective), but it does mean a longer time until we get the full benefit of it.

Seeing all the issues you guys are facing, seems like US vaccination efforts are doing a lot better. Hope it improves very soon for everyone!

So it wasn't entirely a centralized, nationalized healthcare system effort then.
How so? We both got vaccinated, and fairly rapidly (along with 31,707,592 other people as of last count). I don't see how private enterprise would've made it any better. (See: UK track and trace)

Last edited:
How so? We both got vaccinated, and fairly rapidly (along with 31,707,592 other people as of last count). I don't see how private enterprise would've made it any better. (See: UK track and trace)

A centralised, nationalised system can still distribute multiple products to different places/for different demographics.

...because the vaccine comes from a private company.

If that is your criteria, then not much is truly nationalised. I think most of us are thinking of procurement and distribution at this point, which is nationalised.

If that is your criteria, then not much is truly nationalised. I think most of us are thinking of procurement and distribution at this point, which is nationalised.

I don't think it's fair to say that private enterprise wasn't what got you vaccinated when a private enterprise literally invented, tested, and manufactured the vaccine. I didn't say that the centralized, nationalized system didn't play a role. I said:

"So it wasn't entirely a centralized, nationalized healthcare system effort then."

The invention, testing, and manufacture of the vaccine itself being from a private company.

I know next to nothing about the UK's healthcare system, but here in the US, the government has pretty much made the vaccine rollout painful. While the US is doing really well, it could be doing much better and could've had far more people vaccinated sooner if the government had just buggered off. For whatever reason (ok we know the reason) the federal and state governments played politics with the vaccine because in America everything has to be political or something. You have to own the other side by any means necessary, including withholding a potentially lifesaving vaccine from them.

Also, not handing the vaccine efforts over to the health systems on day one was a tragic mistake. I know people who work in various states, all at major health systems, and we pretty much agree that the state health departments are useless when it comes to efficiency since they aren't exactly equipped for massive rollouts of anything. The states should've partnered with whatever major health systems they have and allowed them to vaccinate the population. The health departments could've then focused on underserved or rural populations that the major health systems often overlook.

Unless it's Pfizer, it was likely funded with public money though. I know Moderna took a sizeable chunk of money from the government while Pfizer pushed ahead on its own. I'm not sure about AZ since I don't know a ton about that.

Unless it's Pfizer, it was likely funded with public money though. I know Moderna took a sizeable chunk of money from the government while Pfizer pushed ahead on its own. I'm not sure about AZ since I don't know a ton about that.

Yes, it is definitely a joint effort - the UK government also funded a lot of the AZ vaccine programme.

That's why I asked. I was going to bail unless I saw Pfizer. ;) The fact that AZ was listed as being substandard kinda encouraged me to dive in.

Edit:

I actually don't know if J&J got a grant.

Last edited:
I don't think it's fair to say that private enterprise wasn't what got you vaccinated when a private enterprise literally invented, tested, and manufactured the vaccine. I didn't say that the centralized, nationalized system didn't play a role. I said:

"So it wasn't entirely a centralized, nationalized healthcare system effort then."

The invention, testing, and manufacture of the vaccine itself being from a private company.

That's why I asked. I was going to bail unless I saw Pfizer. ;) The fact that AZ was listed as being substandard kinda encouraged me to dive in.

Edit:

I actually don't know if J&J got a grant.
The NHS doesn't develop vaccines. Someone has to organise the rollout though. I equally don't think it's fair to say an entirely private system would've ensured a wide takeup of the vaccine. Our privatley run tracking system is in a bit of a shambles.

The Oxford/AZ jab isn't really substandard. Seven people died from 18 million people vaccinated.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-56620646

Last edited:
"Joint effort" is a good way to put it.
It's cerainly better than "private enterprise FTW" when it's public health employees doing the screening and jabbing. Presumably they paid for the doses with public money as well.

However, we're quite a way towards getting the vaccine out to everyone who needs it. Had distribution been left to the private sector in the UK I'm not sure we'd be in that position right now.

I know. I think I'd rank it lower than several of the other options though. Still if that was my only available shot, I'd get it.
I'd rather have it for myself if it means more vulnerable people like my mum can get the Pfizer jab.

Last edited:
TB
Fifteen hours post second shot and I'm dragging and sore but at work. Not sure how long that will last.
Twenty one hours post and still at work. My hands were freezing for a while but that has subsided. Headache is still there and is not diminishing after ibuprofen, caffeine, water, food or sugar. Looking like it's permanent now.

My wife got the Pfizer shots because that's what the hospital had available, I signed up for my time slot specifically to get Pfizer and Pfizer is the only one approved for 16+ (the other two are 18+) so Thing 1 got Pfizer, too. Despite 2/3 being out of our control, that's exactly how I was hoping it would go.

I don't think it's fair to say that private enterprise wasn't what got you vaccinated when a private enterprise literally invented, tested, and manufactured the vaccine.

A lot of money came from the British government, the rest was provided by the University itself. If anything that private enterprise has touched becomes private enterprise then where is the line for 'public' work? Milling their own paper towels? Making their own buildings and equipment from scratch?

A lot of money came from the British government, the rest was provided by the University itself.

You're probably thinking about AZ rather than Pfizer.

If anything that private enterprise has touched becomes private enterprise then where is the line for 'public' work? Milling their own paper towels? Making their own buildings and equipment from scratch?

I think, especially in the case of the Pfizer vaccine, that it's unfair to say that private enterprise should not receive credit.

You're probably thinking about AZ rather than Pfizer.

I think, especially in the case of the Pfizer vaccine, that it's unfair to say that private enterprise should not receive credit.
The question was why @Dennisch hadn't been vaccinated after so long. @Dotini seemed to think it was because of a lack of private enterprise (presumably in the rollout process). I'm trying to point out that that's not the case over here. Which kind of vaccine is rolled out doesn't seem to me to make much difference in this circumstance.

Us constantly referring to it by the brand name is not enough credit? What % of the general public do you think know the brand name Pfizer now compared to 18 months ago?

_117183867_optimised-vaccines_04-nc.png

Back