COVID-19/Coronavirus Information and Support Thread (see OP for useful links)

• Thread starter baldgye
  • 13,234 comments
The question was why @Dennisch hadn't been vaccinated after so long. @Dotini seemed to think it was because of a lack of private enterprise (presumably in the rollout process). I'm trying to point out that that's not the case over here. Which kind of vaccine is rolled out doesn't seem to me to make much difference in this circumstance.

@Dotini is always kinda tough to decipher. I might interpret his statement as cynical, sarcastic, or perhaps even commiserating. I can even interpret his statement as critical of private enterprise not rolling out enough doses fast enough. Or maybe he meant it exactly as you thought. I don't bother asking him what he means since usually the response is as hard to decipher.

Regardless, I don't think it's fair to say that private enterprise is uninvolved when it comes to at least Pfizer, and probably a major component of the efforts of other companies like Moderna. I know that philanthropy was also involved in AstraZeneca. So I suppose Dotini could have said charity FTW.

I think just about the only fair take on it is to say that the world has worked together on this, in just about every facet, from global corporations donating schematics, to profit-based efforts like Pfizer, donations from wealthy individuals, and tons and tons of government effort, both competent and incompetent.

Us constantly referring to it by the brand name is not enough credit? What % of the general public do you think know the brand name Pfizer now compared to 18 months ago?

Sheeeeesh... just saying that private enterprise was not exactly uninvolved in response to a statement that seemed to suggest it was.

Last edited:
Looking at the graph @UKMikey posted, I would like to take a second to complain about the Janssen vaccine. For whatever reason, in the US we have to brand it Johnson & Johnson, which is a PITA for my work stuff. I'd much rather type out Janssen than Johnson & Johnson every time (we're not supposed to use abbreviations like J & J). I know, I know, first-world problems.

I originally had built a bunch of my stuff to say Janssen, because that's who actually makes the vaccine, but it confused patients so I had to change it. Like come on, you've never heard of the company Moderna before but you're still OK with it and you probably think Johnson & Johnson only makes baby oil (made from 100%, free-range babies!).

Looking at the graph @UKMikey posted, I would like to take a second to complain about the Janssen vaccine. For whatever reason, in the US we have to brand it Johnson & Johnson, which is a PITA for my work stuff. I'd much rather type out Janssen than Johnson & Johnson every time (we're not supposed to use abbreviations like J & J). I know, I know, first-world problems.

I originally had built a bunch of my stuff to say Janssen, because that's who actually makes the vaccine, but it confused patients so I had to change it. Like come on, you've never heard of the company Moderna before but you're still OK with it and you probably think Johnson & Johnson only makes baby oil (made from 100%, free-range babies!).

I'm a little too close to botched J&J prostheses causing repeated surgeries and permanent damage due to cobalt poisoning to like the J&J brand all that much. Personally, Janssen sounds better. The Colorado vaccine dashboard still uses Janssen as of just now.

Last edited:

C'mon now, no more tears.

The B.1.1.7 variant, first identified in Britain, is now the source of most new coronavirus infections in the United States, the director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said.

HsOPnNJ.gif

TB
Twenty one hours post and still at work. My hands were freezing for a while but that has subsided. Headache is still there and is not diminishing after ibuprofen, caffeine, water, food or sugar. Looking like it's permanent now.
Bro, tell me you're feeling better now.

Last edited:
After a fast start, the UK vaccination program is slowing down...

As someone in their 40s, I currently have no idea when I will get my first shot. Even my parents who are both in their 70s have not had their 2nd shots yet, and I think they are both scheduled for the first week in May... so, I reckon I can expect to not have two shots done until September :ill:
Yes but when you have had the 2nd jab you're what? 95% protected from Covid? So for 20 people one will catch it? Multiply that by the numbers that go to the football at one of the really big teams. What's going to happen then. :ill:

Last edited:
Yes but when you have had the 2nd jab you're what? 95% protected from Covid?
It's more the prospect that many/most parents of young kids will be in their 30s and 40s who are not getting a first jab until the school year is over.

A friend of mine is in this exact situation and tested positive yesterday, though she is thankfully (currently) not ill.

I personally would have prioritized parents of school-age children over the 40-60 cohort because I think that the risk posed by children is much greater than is being publicly acknowledged, though in practical terms this would be quite difficult to do.

So for 20 people one will catch it? Multiply that by the numbers that go to the football at one of the really big teams. What's going to happen then. :ill:
Not quite. Technically, the efficacy of a vaccine describes how many people who would have developed COVID without the vaccine are protected by the vaccine. It's described here, though it is a little bit confusing!

It doesn't mean that 5% of a totally vaccinated crowd would get sick... (because only some of those in the crowd would likely get infected, and of those, only a fraction would get sick even if they were not vaccinated.)

If there was an equal number of vaccinated and non-vaccinated people infected at a sporting event (and the vaccine has 95% efficacy), then the unvaccinated group would have 20 people get sick for every 1 who gets sick in the vaccinated group.

Last edited:
Yes but when you have had the 2nd jab you're what? 95% protected from Covid? So for 20 people one will catch it? Multiply that by the numbers that go to the football at one of the really big teams. What's going to happen then. :ill:
AZ vaccine is showing 100% protection from serious illness so really that's what matters.

We all live every day with the chance of a bad dose of flu or a nasty throat infection or a broken limb or something that could sideline us for days or weeks. That's fine - we just don't want to catch something that will kill us.

Now I'm vaccinated (first jab) I really don't care if I get Covid because I know it isn't going to kill me or put me in hospital.

Our government is changing its vaccine rollout, with younger patients being highly recommended the Pfizer vaccine. People under 50 will need a health check if they choose to get the AZ vaccine, due to blood clot concerns.

This happened really suddenly and unexpectedly. Are any of the countries you guys living in doing similar mandates?

The Guardian Link.

• The government announced people under 50 would now be recommended to take the Pfizer vaccine, following findings of the British and European regulators over concerns about the AstraZeneca Covid-19 vaccine causing blood clots.
  • At a snap press conference on Thursday evening, Scott Morrison said he was unable to say what impact the new advisory would have on the rollout, but he conceded it would need to be “recalibrated”.
  • Overnight, a key UK government health committee recommended offering people under 30, considered at a higher risk of the rare blood clotting, the option to receive an alternative vaccine

Last edited:
Canada is only giving the AZ jab to people between 55 and 65. People outside of that age window are getting Pfizer or Moderna.
I recall hearing that the AZ vaccine is not permitted for use on anyone in the US, even though there are very large quantities of doses just sitting around in storage.

I recall hearing that the AZ vaccine is not permitted for use on anyone in the US, even though there are very large quantities of doses just sitting around in storage.
Correct on both counts. It is not yet FDA approved and there are millions of doses sitting in storage. They did give/sell (not sure which) a few million of them to Mexico and Canada recently.

Arm stiffness this morning.
Feel a bit wore out already and I just woke up.
Outside of being hot earlier yesterday to I was cold last night
I think I am in the clear for side affects.

TB
I just had to make myself get up and keep moving.

I actually have things to do today and it was like how do I start. :boggled:
Then I realize the time and then it was like okay time to do it. :D
I am getting more awake as I go.

Serious question.

Which is the best and most reliable test?
  • PCR
  • Antigen
  • Antibodies

Last edited:
@kikie
I think the PCR is the best.
Antibodies are the worst as it only tells you if you had covid but not if you currently have covid.
I don't know about the antigen.

Latest Posts

Back