COVID-19/Coronavirus Information and Support Thread (see OP for useful links)

• Thread starter baldgye
  • 13,234 comments
Fabian Delph somehow manages to become the least-liked married, 31-year old, first-team squad member at Everton* by posting this gem on his Instawhatever:

1627501011649.png

The irony of that being he's been injured for most of the last ever, and doesn't seem capable of doing the job as a footballer.

*And that takes some doing, given the stories about the other one.

I am embarrassed to admit that I stopped wearing a mask at the gym 2 months ago because I was under the impression that people would be smart and get a vaccine. I am embarrassed to admit my stupidity and that as of today, I have re-masked myself indefinitely.

Maddie mistakes vaccine for his legs.

Also...people don't say that. These sacks of **** have nothing.

Alabama now has the highest COVID positivity rate in the country.

"BIRMINGHAM, Ala. (WBRC) - Sarah Nafziger, M.D., vice president of UAB Hospital Clinical Services, said Thursday that Alabama now has the highest COVID positivity rate in the country.

Nafziger said the reasons are the Delta variant and Alabama’s low vaccination rate.

According to the Alabama Department of Public Health, Alabama’s percent positive rate is 21.5% as of July 29, 2021.

Dr. Nafziger said people are starting to fill up hospitals again and 97% of the people who are being treated for COVID-19 are unvaccinated.

The average age of admitted COVID-19 patients is about 55 years old. She said the difference is Alabama’s older population, 65 and older, took the vaccine. That is keeping them out of the hospital.

Nafziger said almost every one of the patients in the hospital who did not get the vaccine, now said they wish they had.

Nafziger said if case numbers continue to grow, UAB doctors will have to cancel or postpone elective procedures because they will need the beds.

“To me it’s like jumping out of an airplane without a parachute. We have a parachute, why would you jump out of an airplane without a parachute?” said Nafziger."

https://www.wbrc.com/2021/07/29/alabama-has-highest-covid-case-positivity-rate-us/

Let's see lowest vaccination rate in the country, highest COVID positivity rate in the country.....

tenor.gif

"BIRMINGHAM, Ala. (WBRC) - Sarah Nafziger, M.D., vice president of UAB Hospital Clinical Services, said Thursday that Alabama now has the highest COVID positivity rate in the country.

Nafziger said the reasons are the Delta variant and Alabama’s low vaccination rate.

According to the Alabama Department of Public Health, Alabama’s percent positive rate is 21.5% as of July 29, 2021.

Dr. Nafziger said people are starting to fill up hospitals again and 97% of the people who are being treated for COVID-19 are unvaccinated.

The average age of admitted COVID-19 patients is about 55 years old. She said the difference is Alabama’s older population, 65 and older, took the vaccine. That is keeping them out of the hospital.

Nafziger said almost every one of the patients in the hospital who did not get the vaccine, now said they wish they had.

Nafziger said if case numbers continue to grow, UAB doctors will have to cancel or postpone elective procedures because they will need the beds.

“To me it’s like jumping out of an airplane without a parachute. We have a parachute, why would you jump out of an airplane without a parachute?” said Nafziger."

https://www.wbrc.com/2021/07/29/alabama-has-highest-covid-case-positivity-rate-us/

Let's see lowest vaccination rate in the country, highest COVID positivity rate in the country.....

tenor.gif
All of Alabama is going for the once in a lifetime experience.

President Joe Biden on Thursday announced sweeping new pandemic requirements aimed at boosting vaccination rates for millions of federal workers and contractors as he lamented the “American tragedy” of rising-yet-preventable deaths among the unvaccinated.

Federal workers will be required to sign forms attesting they’ve been vaccinated against the coronavirus or else comply with new rules on mandatory masking, weekly testing, distancing and more. The strict new guidelines are aimed at increasing sluggish vaccination rates among the huge number of Americans who draw federal paychecks — and to set an example for private employers around the country.

“Right now, too many people are dying or watching someone they love die and say, ‘If I’d just got the vaccine,’” Biden said in a somber address from the East Room of the White House. “This is an American tragedy. People are dying who don’t have to die.”

However, pushback is certain to Biden’s action. It puts him squarely in the center of a fierce political debate surrounding the government’s ability to compel Americans to follow public health guidelines.

The federal government directly employs about 4 million people, but Biden’s action could affect many more when federal contractors are factored in. New York University professor of public service Paul Light estimates there are nearly 7 million more employees who could potentially be included, combining those who work for companies that contract with the government and those working under federal grants.

Biden, seemingly fed up with persistent vaccine resistance among many Americans, delivered a sharp rebuke to those who have yet to get shots, saying “they get sick and fill up our hospitals,” taking beds away from others who need them.

“If in fact you are unvaccinated, you present a problem to yourself, to your family and those with whom you work,” he said bluntly.

At the same time, he expressed sympathy for people who have received their shots and are “frustrated with the consequences of the minority that fail to get vaccinated.” And he again emphasized that the fight against the virus is far from over, girding Americans to remain strong in the face of setbacks in the pandemic.

“I know this is hard to hear. I know it’s frustrating. I know it’s exhausting to think we’re still in this fight. I know we hoped this would be a simple straightforward line, without problems or new challenges. But that isn’t real life,” he said.

His comments came as some 60% of American adults have been fully vaccinated. He had set a July 4 goal to get at least one shot in 70% of adults, and is still not quite there. The latest figure is 69.3%. And there remains significant resistance from many Republicans and some unions to vaccine mandates for employers.

Reflecting an awareness of the political landmines surrounding mandates, administration officials emphasize that their plan does not require workers to receive the vaccine but aims to make life more difficult for those who are unvaccinated to encourage them to comply. Biden directed his team to take steps to apply similar requirements to all federal contractors.

He also directed the Defense Department to look into adding the COVID-19 shot to its list of required vaccinations for members of the military. Service members already are required to get as many as 17 vaccines, depending on where they are based around the world.

Over and over, the president repeated that the vast majority of those falling ill and dying in the new wave of the delta virus are unvaccinated, putting others at risk and endangering the nation’s fragile economic recovery and return to normalcy.

“It’s an American blessing that we have vaccines for each and every American. It’s such a shame to squander that blessing,” said Biden.

He praised the recent increase in Republican lawmakers urging those who are not vaccinated — many of whom, polling suggests, identify as conservatives — to get their shots. And seeking to push back against skepticism among some Republicans over the safety of the vaccine, he gave a nod to predecessor Donald Trump, noting that it was “developed and authorized under a Republican administration.”

“This is not about red states and blue states,” he said. “It’s literally about life and death, life and death.”

Biden renewed his calls for schools to fully open this fall, although children under 12 are not yet eligible to receive the vaccine. And he said that public health officials do not yet believe Americans need a booster vaccine despite the highly contagious delta variant fueling the surge.

The new pressure on workers to get vaccinated could work because evidence shows people would rather get the vaccine than deal with burdens they consider onerous at work, said Lawrence Gostin, a professor of global health law at Georgetown University Law School.

“People would much rather roll up their sleeves and get a jab, than undergo weekly testing and universal masking,” he said. “In many ways, this is really not a mandate, it’s giving workers a choice.”

Thursday’s move is not just about federal workers.

The administration hopes it will nudge private companies push their workers harder to get vaccines that, while widely recognized as safe and effective, have yet to receive full approval from the Food and Drug Administration.

“I think we’ve reached this tipping point, and Biden’s announcement will provide a lot of air cover for companies and boards of directors who have difficult decisions facing them,” said Jeff Hyman, a Chicago-based business author and recruiter for start-up companies.

Some of the nation’s biggest corporations have moved to require vaccinations for their workers. Tech giants Facebook and Google announced this week their employees would have to show proof they’ve been fully vaccinated before returning to work.

Delta and United airlines are requiring new employees to show proof of vaccination. Goldman Sachs and Morgan Stanley are requiring workers to disclose their vaccination status though not requiring them to be vaccinated.

But fewer than 10% of employers have said they intend to require all employees to be vaccinated, based on periodic surveys by the research firm Gartner.

Still, there is opposition.

State lawmakers across the U.S. have introduced more than 100 bills aiming to prohibit employers from requiring vaccination as a condition of employment, according to the National Academy for State Health Policy. At least six states have approved such bills.

The Justice Department and the federal Equal Employment Opportunity Commission have both said no federal laws prevent businesses from requiring vaccinations as a condition of employment and the federal policy would take precedent. But the “medical freedom” bills underscore the resistance such guidance may encounter at the state level.

Government actions in New York City and California have faced resistance from local unions. And prior to Biden’s announcement, some national unions were speaking out against it.

Larry Cosme, President of the Federal Law Enforcement Officers Association, which represents 30,000 federal officers and agents, said in a statement while the organization supports the vaccine it opposes compelling it.

“Forcing people to undertake a medical procedure is not the American way and is a clear civil rights violation no matter how proponents may seek to justify it,” he said.
It's about time.

I keep seeing people who are anti-vaxx posting that about 10,000 people have died after getting the COVID-19 vaccine. I am not in any way believing that is true, but has there ever been any sort of calculation as to how many people have died from COVID-19 after being vaccinated? My guess is even if the number was true, 10K out of 190 million is not even 1/10,000 people.

I keep seeing people who are anti-vaxx posting that about 10,000 people have died after getting the COVID-19 vaccine. I am not in any way believing that is true,
I'd guess that 10k comes from the adverse reaction reports, which will include people who just happen to die of something medical in the month or so after having the vaccine. Almost all will have died with vaccine, not from vaccine.

but has there ever been any sort of calculation as to how many people have died from COVID-19 after being vaccinated? My guess is even if the number was true, 10K out of 190 million is not even 1/10,000 people.
We're only just finding that out now during this wave, I think. Pfizer is reported as being 95% to 99% effective against mortality (UK report), perhaps slightly less against Delta. So if a million more would've died from covid then full vaccination would reduce that to less than 50,000, perhaps a lot less.

(A million more deaths in the US, if there were no vaccines, wouldn't be a totally unreasonable guess since it's estimated that more than 2/3 of the population have not had covid yet).

I'd guess that 10k comes from the adverse reaction reports, which will include people who just happen to die of something medical in the month or so after having the vaccine. Almost all will have died with vaccine, not from vaccine.

We're only just finding that out now during this wave, I think. Pfizer is reported as being 95% to 99% effective against mortality (UK report), perhaps slightly less against Delta. So if a million more would've died from covid then full vaccination would reduce that to less than 50,000, perhaps a lot less.

(A million more deaths in the US, if there were no vaccines, wouldn't be a totally unreasonable guess since it's estimated that more than 2/3 of the population have not had covid yet).
Which makes those so against a vaccine even more ridiculous as the odds of even dying from COVID are significantly reduced.

Which makes those so against a vaccine even more ridiculous as the odds of even dying from COVID are significantly reduced.
COVID remains to them an attack on Trump. The cure is and always will be worse than the disease because they don't believe the disease is real.

Last edited:
I keep seeing people who are anti-vaxx posting that about 10,000 people have died after getting the COVID-19 vaccine. I am not in any way believing that is true, but has there ever been any sort of calculation as to how many people have died from COVID-19 after being vaccinated? My guess is even if the number was true, 10K out of 190 million is not even 1/10,000 people.
It is the height of irony that the same people who believe that vaccines are so dangerous are also those who are quick to point out that there's a difference between dying from COVID and dying with COVID. Indeed, the more people who get the vaccine, the more people who die every day will have had it, which of course is not the same thing as saying that the vaccine is killing more people, or indeed anyone.

In even more irony, the same people who are so quick to rush to conclusions and decry the vaccines as so dangerous are also making it more likely that large numbers of people, even healthcare workers, will avoid vaccination through fear of an overblown safety risk and end up getting COVID instead.

-

8000 people die in the US every day, and the US has averaged ca. 1200 COVID deaths per day since the start of the pandemic, peaking at over 4300 deaths per day at the height of the second wave before vaccinations were available. This led to a huge number of excess deaths:

The excess death rate mirrors the COVID case rate in the US (though confirmed cases in the first wave are lower than reality because there was no testing available at the time... the excess death rate, however, shows that the first wave was pretty much as severe as the January 2021/"Alpha" wave). Sadly the 'Delta wave' which is now under way in America will also result in a new peak of excess deaths, but if the UK is anything to go by, it should be dampened by the vaccine rollout.

Either way, however, what is clear is that until cases of Delta started to pick up at the start of July 2021, the excess death rate continued to fall, even though the US had already administered 95% of its vaccinations between Dec 2020 - Jun 2020.

In other words, the evidence that vaccines are contributing to excess deaths appears to be non-existent.

-

Even if 10000 people had died in the US as a direct result of vaccination (which it highly debatable), that would still only represent 55 people per day since the start of the rollout. Compare that to over 1200 COVID deaths every day for 17 months and counting...

Also, over the next few weeks and months, we should also see that link between case numbers and excess deaths drop. Here in the UK, that link has been seriously disrupted, but in the US it might not be quite so effective. But, it will be dampened, hopefully by around 50% at least. That would mean that, over time, vaccines should be able to bring/keep the death rate down to ca. 600 a day over the course of a new variant wave, or in other words, 600 lives saved a day compared to 55 lives cost per day, or 10 lives saved for every vaccine casualty, and that doesn't even consider the number of hospitalisations and cases of long COVID that vaccines will also save.

Last edited:
It's not about facts for those people though, it seems to be about who they trust, or want to believe.

I didn't go into someone's individual odds because it's so age dependant. The starting assumption though is that, without vaccines or restrictions, almost everyone would get COVID at least once over the next few years.

The brain-clot deaths after AstraZeneca were identified early, after very few cases. It affected more younger people, who would also be at less risk of death from COVID. Different authorities put different age caps on receiving it to minimise the risk. But it's important to note that their balance-of-risks calculation was one where not using AZ only meant a relatively short delay in the rollout because other vaccines were already available, and would've come to a different conclusion if looking at years of not being vaccinated rather than just a month or so. At any rate, it would appear that the risks from Pfizer have been found to be much lower than even those of AZ.

Not that it matters to them. Compared to 'stealing an election', 'hiding death statistics' is an easier sell. So explaining it rationally won't change any minds. Better and simpler to point out that Donald, Tucker, Mitch, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc... have all had the jab.

tenor.gif
Guess Alabama and Auburn fans agreed with one another to not get vaccinated. I mean I can understand the Auburn fans not getting it because Lord Saban said to get it, but the Alabama fans not listening to their Dear Leader is slightly surprising.

Guess Alabama and Auburn fans agreed with one another to not get vaccinated. I mean I can understand the Auburn fans not getting it because Lord Saban said to get it, but the Alabama fans not listening to their Dear Leader is slightly surprising.
All Saban has to do in order to ensure Alabamians get it is to ask the university or the state to require vaccination to enter any Crimson Tide game.

All Saban has to do in order to ensure Alabamians get it is to ask the university or the state to require vaccination to enter any Crimson Tide game.
Well the SEC has already said that games will not be rescheduled this year. If a team has an outbreak that causes a game to be canceled it will be a forfeit against that team. Let the Crimson Tide lose a game or games due to COVID and see what happens. You thought you saw some upset hillbillys on January 6th. Alabama fans will make that look like a Sunday church social.

Well the SEC has already said that games will not be rescheduled this year. If a team has an outbreak that causes a game to be canceled it will be a forfeit against that team. Let the Crimson Tide lose a game or games due to COVID and see what happens. You thought you saw some upset hillbillys on January 6th. Alabama fans will make that look like a Sunday church social.
No self-reflection, just anger about keeping people safe!

Today's data hasn't shown up in my favorite plotting tool yet, but it looks like Florida is now at the 2nd highest peak of cases since the start of the pandemic (for that state). Interestingly though, deaths, while going up, don't look like they're anything remotely resembling previous peaks. That really seems to illustrate that the disease is moving through a different, less vulnerable, population, and that the vaccines may be picking up some of the slack. Granted that deaths lag, so we may still see a peak out of it yet. So far it doesn't look like the others.

Last edited:
Fabian Delph somehow manages to become the least-liked married, 31-year old, first-team squad member at Everton* by posting this gem on his Instawhatever:

The irony of that being he's been injured for most of the last ever, and doesn't seem capable of doing the job as a footballer.

Bro, why are doctors always giving stitches after a bad cut? The body is clearly designed to clot the blood and close the wound on its own, eventually.

Bro, why are doctors always giving stitches after a bad cut? The body is clearly designed to clot the blood and close the wound on its own, eventually.
Until McLaren's post above, I was a bit confused and thought that the job he was referring to in the quote was in learning how to fight the virus from the vaccine. It didn't even occur to me that he meant that the job was to do it without a vaccine. I thought he was basically saying "it's a conspiracy theory to believe that vaccines work".

It's hard engage at that level of stupid I guess.

Last edited:
The US should implement a use it or lose it strategy. As in: Bubba from Alabama will have his vaccine allotment donated to Bakr in Lebanon if he doesn't get the shot.

Last edited:

In July 2021, following multiple large public events in a Barnstable County, Massachusetts, town, 469 COVID-19 cases were identified among Massachusetts residents who had traveled to the town during July 3–17; 346 (74%) occurred in fully vaccinated persons. Testing identified the Delta variant in 90% of specimens from 133 patients.

I think they lifted mask mandate before considering what delta variant variant will do and now they have to backpedal and say it’s because of delta and they are following science.

I mean, I get it, they wanted to basically try to push people to vaccinate by offering them a carrot, but they can’t be surprised about delta. There was data (maybe jot US) that delta was much more contagious and UK cases going up was another piece of data that they could easily use. Also, I highly doubt they got many people to change their mind about vaccines. Anyway, at least they are backpedaling. If it was Trump, he probably would keep denying vaccines don’t work that well against delta until the very last moment.

My office sent out an email yesterday that everyone who goes in has to wear a mask, vaccine or not. I'm still working at home, but we are currently preparing to move into a new office location so I have to go in and clear out my desk and help pack and purge files.

There are rumors starting that Illinois will announce a lockdown again, only after Chicago hosts summer super-spreader #2. (The auto show & now Lollapalooza this weekend)

Great...

The White House is unhappy with coverage of this.

"But it wasn't just The Times. The Washington Post ran a headline that read, "CDC study shows three-fourths of people infected in Massachusetts covid-19 outbreak were infected." As Matthew Getz commented, "Please don't do this. Provincetown has one of the highest vaccination rates in the country. As vaccination rates increase the percentage of cases that are in vaccinated people NECESSARILY increases." The Post's headline was later updated to note that in the outbreak "few required hospitalization."

Last edited:
It has been known for some time that vaccines don't stop transmission - they do cut transmission, but they don't stop it altogether... couple that fact with a far more transmissible variant and the overall transmission risk from a vaccinated person is probably higher than an unvaccinated person with the original strain of the virus.

Still, it's a moot point - the purpose of vaccination is to lower the risk of developing severe illness, not to stop transmission - cutting or even halting transmission would have been a game-changer, but alas it isn't turning out that way, but it was never a 'given' that this was going to happen.

The upshot is that nothing has changed - people really ought to be continuing to do everything in their power to protect themselves, protect their families and friends, and protect others by limiting their opportunities to unwittingly spread the virus and to minimize their chances of getting sick should they get infected. That messaging has been clear and consistent since Day 1 from folks who understand the grave risk that COVID-19 poses to our society, and yet it seems to be a message that far too many people still don't understand, or worse still, far too many people are wilfully ignoring it.

Last edited:
It was on the news half an hour ago.

Only 100,000 infected people and 5000 deaths in China since the beginning of the pandemic. China has around 1,4 billion people.
There is a new wave in China. 200 people were infected. Two-hundred-people! They call that a wave. Only a handful of these infected people were infected with the Delta variant.
China doesn't follow the Western world, they do their own thing. So could these numbers be the real numbers, globally?

I'm worried that my father and I get infected but I'm also very worried for what is to come.

Last edited:
It was on the news half an hour ago.

Only 100,000 infected people and 5000 deaths in China since the beginning of the pandemic. China has around 1,4 billion people. China doesn't follow the Western world, they do their own thing. Could these numbers be the real numbers, globally?
There is a new wave in China. 200 people were infected. Two-hundred-people! They call that a wave. Only a handful of these infected people were infected with the Delta variant.
I wouldn't treat any messaging from the Chinese government as reliable or as indicative of...well...anything at all.

Back