COVID-19/Coronavirus Information and Support Thread (see OP for useful links)

• Thread starter baldgye
  • 13,234 comments
It was on the news half an hour ago.

Only 100,000 infected people and 5000 deaths in China since the beginning of the pandemic. China has around 1,4 billion people.
There is a new wave in China. 200 people were infected. Two-hundred-people! They call that a wave. Only a handful of these infected people were infected with the Delta variant.
China doesn't follow the Western world, they do their own thing. So could these numbers be the real numbers, globally?

I'm worried that my father and I get infected but I'm also very worried for what is to come.

I would take the official figures from China with a pinch of salt...

You and your Dad have done great so far so there's no reason to be any more worried now - I think the pandemic has a way to run still, but a lot of progress has been made in terms of getting to the point where some countries are going to be able to cope with it.

As Matthew Getz commented, "Please don't do this. Provincetown has one of the highest vaccination rates in the country. As vaccination rates increase the percentage of cases that are in vaccinated people NECESSARILY increases." The Post's headline was later updated to note that in the outbreak "few required hospitalization."
Matthew Gertz already has enough trouble with people mistaking him for a certain Florida congressman. Don't make matters worse by leaving out the one letter that distinguishes the two surnames.

/s

I mean @Touring Mars what is to come politically, economically, .... .

I personally think that the worst will be over at the end of 2022 and life will return to normal, more and less.

Yes we have done quite well so far but the danger still exists. Knock, knock on wood.

Last edited:
My office sent out an email yesterday that everyone who goes in has to wear a mask, vaccine or not.
I'm expecting something similar this week, even though they made us jump through hoops to prove our vaccination status so we could go without. It's not going to make me a happy camper.

Matthew Gertz already has enough trouble with people mistaking him for a certain Florida congressman. Don't make matters worse by leaving out the one letter that distinguishes the two surnames.

/s

Hmmm... I didn't type that out manually. I copy-pasted it from the article. Seems to be fixed in the article.

Hmmm... I didn't type that out manually. I copy-pasted it from the article. Seems to be fixed in the article.
I was joking anyway. The primary reason for responding was to post the tweet addressing how bad fait actors like Tucker use those sorts of sensationalized headlines.

It's about 🤬 time:

Sky News Australia banned from Youtube for a week for spreading COVID lies.

I hated Sky News Australia. It was ridiculous how one of the "news anchors" was ridiculing President Biden so much, it was unbearable to watch.

I hated Sky News Australia. It was ridiculous how one of the "news anchors" was ridiculing President Biden so much, it was unbearable to watch.
Interesting. Switch one word.

I don’t remember any news anchors ridiculing Trump. I thought it was the other way around (Ali Velshi).

Last edited:
Where I work, we've gone back to daily temperature checks and mandatory mask wearing up in the customer area. In my department we've never stopped wearing masks when interacting with customers but our technicians and service writers stopped many months ago despite there being a "please wear your mask" sign on the door when they go up front.

I made a mistake. Half an hour ago I was talking to my Indian neighbor while removing weed and we were between 0.5 and 1 meter from each other for about a minute or two (max). :nervous: He's vaccinated and hasn't been to India since the pandemic as far as I know.

Off topic: the conversation between him and me is 99% of the time in English. Why is it so incredibly difficult to speak English while writing English is less difficult? When I test myself and have a conversation in English with myself, it is much less difficult.

I made a mistake. Half an hour ago I was talking to my Indian neighbor while removing weed and we were between 0.5 and 1 meter from each other for about a minute or two (max). :nervous: He's vaccinated and hasn't been to India since the pandemic as far as I know.

Off topic: the conversation between him and me is 99% of the time in English. Why is it so incredibly difficult to speak English while writing English is less difficult? When I test myself and have a conversation in English with myself, it is much less difficult.
That's cause for example, some Southerners say 'far' instead of fire.
A number of words sound the same but mean something completely different. And it also depends where you are.

Hamilton elaborating on his post-race health concern, stating he's been fighting some health issues since Covid last year.

Well I hope for two things out of this.

1) He finds a way past this and gets back to 100%; and
2) This might FINALLY convince some more of the younger generation to go out and get the vaccine.

I know he is not a teenager anymore, long since, but there arent many around who are fitter than a F1 driver.

Was notified today that my workplace (the "blue" home improvement store) has gone back to mandating masks for employees, though customers aren't under the same restriction unless state guidelines change. I would imagine any national level company that hasn't followed suit yet will be doing so pretty soon.

Just as well, the dust in the racks was starting to get to me pretty badly anyway... what is it about dust that accumulates in a warehouse-sized space that makes it so much more unpleasant than the stuff in a house, anyway?

I had some weirdness going down last night. What felt like a small fever, sinus pressure and runny nose, coughing. Didn't get to sleep until almost 2am. Decided to stay home from work for the day but I feel fine now except for a lingering cough which I assume is just crap running down the back of my throat. I had been outside working on my car most of the day so maybe allergies or something. Typically I get a sinus infection like once a year. It certainly had me googling for Delta symptoms though. 😬

Just as well, the dust in the racks was starting to get to me pretty badly anyway... what is it about dust that accumulates in a warehouse-sized space that makes it so much more unpleasant than the stuff in a house, anyway?
Based on my experiences working warehouses, I'd wager mold on pallets and forklift exhaust particulates are likely primary culprets culprits. There's also a different air change dynamic with open dock doors and the monster air handlers running.

Last edited:
So had my second AZ jab yesterday. I felt fine up until about 10am. Now just feel tired, cold and a bit of a headache.

So far not a patch of jab 1.

So had my second AZ jab yesterday. I felt fine up until about 10am. Now just feel tired, cold and a bit of a headache.

So far not a patch of jab 1.
Yep, it's jab #1 with AZ that floors you, but jab #2 with Pfizer.

Paracetamol will have you right. I was a bit fatigued for a couple of days after.

Paracetamol will have you right. I was a bit fatigued for a couple of days after.
Glad I booked a few days off work. No stupid phonecalls at 8am from my manager asking how I am (he’s also an Anti-Vaxxer, despite one of our close colleagues getting CV-19 and passing away early 2020).

I think I maybe heading back to bed in a second and popping some more Paracetamol.

It's funny, it was the first Pfizer dose that left me in bed. Second one just gave me a sore arm.

Also, does anyone know any peer reviewed studies regarding the efficacy of the Russian vaccine against Delta strain? My dad lives in Argentina and over there they're just handing out whatever vaccine they can get and he got the Sputnik V. I'm a bit worried he might not have good protection against Delta.

Just got the email from human resources, all employees regardless of vaccination status have to resume wearing masks starting tomorrow. Consider me disappointed.

Back