COVID-19/Coronavirus Information and Support Thread (see OP for useful links)

• Thread starter baldgye
  • 13,234 comments
To enter the festival, concert-goers must provide a printed copy of their COVID vaccine card, vaccine record or negative coronavirus test within 72 hours of entering.
Could be worse

Last edited:
Re Lollapalooza (and events with similar mandates): Is there any reputable and meaningful data on vaccinated-to-vaccinated transmission and the ability to transmit as a result? Or is it too specific a scenario and/or too early to compile anything?

Last edited:
Just got the email from human resources, all employees regardless of vaccination status have to resume wearing masks starting tomorrow. Consider me disappointed.
Have to imagine a few people will be let go (not you) for being "conscientious objectors".

Just got the email from human resources, all employees regardless of vaccination status have to resume wearing masks starting tomorrow. Consider me disappointed.
Is it really that disappointing? It sounds smart to me, and considering how bad Los Angeles County is doing in general right now, I wouldn't complain. It looks like we're spiking faster than when the initial pandemic even started - In one month we went from around 200-300 cases a day to 3000+(Beginning of July - Now), where as the start of the pandemic took a good 4 months to get to that daily amount apparently.

Last edited:
Is it really that disappointing? It sounds smart to me, and considering how bad Los Angeles County is doing in general right now, I wouldn't complain. It looks like we're spiking faster than when the initial pandemic even started - In one month we went from around 200-300 cases a day to 3000+(Beginning of July - Now), where as the start of the pandemic took a good 4 months to get to that daily amount apparently.
I agree. Unless I am in a family member or close friend's house that I know has been vaccinated, I am wearing a mask. People have now proven that their freedoms supersede the health of a fellow human.

The people that put these mandates into place sit at a desk all day in the air conditioning. While those of us that work in a warm shop get to enjoy swamp face for 8+ hours. A sweat soaked mask is a bit harder to breathe through.

I'll keep it around and put it on if someone is nearby, but I won't be wearing it if I'm working on a car and nobody is around.

Last edited:
The people that put these mandates into place sit at a desk all day in the air conditioning. While those of us that work in a warm shop get to enjoy swamp face for 8+ hours. A sweat soaked mask is a bit harder to breathe through.

I'll keep it around and put it on if someone is nearby, but I won't be wearing it if I'm working on a car and nobody is around.
Glad they didn't just give restrictions to some and not others depending on the job an individual person chose. I understand why you'd see it as disappointing, but I'd rather be disappointed than sick, or worse.

Last edited:
Glad they didn't just give restrictions to some and not others depending on the job an individual person chose. I understand why you'd see it as disappointing, but I'd rather be disappointed than sick, or worse.
I'm honestly not worried about it and will continue without where it's not required.

What’s with these intensifying initiatives to force strong and healthy people into getting the vaccine, especially in the US? I say “force” because in some places it’s now basically becoming impossible to avoid it if you want to carry on living a decent life. What happened to individual freedom and civil rights? I thought the United Stated wanted to be at the forefront of promoting liberal and democratic values.

Why is it so important to avoid this latest strain compared to the other corona diseases we’ve dealt with already, not to mention for centuries already? Please tell me, because I keep hearing how you’re likely to just experience mild flu symptoms. The weak and elderly already got their vaccines, so it’s not like hospitals will experience overwhelming waves of patients like they did months ago. I’ve genuinely lost track of why this disease is still something to take seriously. Long-term complications? Always been there with other diseases.

Last edited:
What’s with these intensifying initiaves to force strong and healthy people into getting the vaccine, especially in the US? I say “force” because in some places it’s now basically becoming impossible to avoid it if you want to carry on living a decent life.
Maybe because being "strong and healthy" aren't automatic immunity?

“I was strongly against getting the vaccine,” Barker said through labored breathing. “Just because we’re a strong conservative family.”

UF Health Jacksonville is once again filling up with patients battling Covid-19. They are younger — many are in their 20s and 30s, some even in their teens — and they appear to be much sicker than those who flooded hospitals in the early months of the pandemic, de la Paz said.

What happened to individual freedom and civil rights? I thought the United Stated wanted to be at the forefront of promoting liberal and democratic values.
Freedom and civil rights come to a halt when it puts others in danger. But, this is far from some new idea in US history.
But this is basically true. According to the Fred W. Smith National Library for Study of George Washington, Washington and his Continental Army "faced a threat that proved deadlier than the British" in the first years of the Revolutionary War — smallpox.

Infrequent outbreaks and wariness of inoculation made his troops very susceptible to the disease," according to the library. "After heavy losses in Boston and Quebec, Washington implemented the first mass immunization policy in American history."

1775 - General Washington uses 100 Soldiers to quarantine the city of Boston and restrict all travel.
1776 - the forced inoculation of the entire Northern Army
1777- the mandatory inoculation of all Continental Soldiers and militiamen
1777 - Thomas Jefferson drafts a mandatory inoculation law for citizens of Virginia
1770s- early 1780s - mandatory isolation and hospitalizations for anybody symptomatic.
1793 - Benjamin Rush and James Monroe assist in enacting quarantining refugees from Philadelphia. Those breaking quarantine are jailed with assistance of citizen patrols, particularly in New York, Baltimore, and Norfolk. Havre de Grace sinks anybody crossing the river into Maryland.
1780s until the end of life - Benjamin Franklin advocates for stringent public health measures in the face of epidemics. Dr. Rush pushes for government mandates on sanitation.
1813 - True to his words in the Constitution about ‘promote the General Welfare’, James Madison signs -and Congress Authorizes- the government funding of vaccines for all citizens under ‘An Act to Encourage Vaccination’ and the formation of the National Vaccine Institute
Why is it so important to avoid this latest strain compared to the other corona diseases we’ve dealt with already, not to mention for centuries already?
Because it's becoming more contagious and (as far as I've read), the Delta strain starts affecting the body quicker.
Please tell me, because I keep hearing how you’re likely to just experience mild flu symptoms.
You ever remember growing up, stories of people being warned against smoking or drugs about how not to do them b/c of how you might end up? And then you hear about some little dip **** who thinks, "Won't happen to me".

That's happening now with people who ended up in the hospital thinking it's just going to be like a mild flu. Mild flu doesn't result in a liver-transplant & 8 months of recovery.
Up until this point in my life, I’ve been pretty healthy and active," according to Byrd's statement. "Foolishly, I believed this virus only seriously affected people who are at high risk."

During his recovery this year, Byrd's liver began to fail, resulting in jaundice and a diagnosis of covid cholangiopathy, and ultimately the need for a liver transplant June 12.
The weak and elderly already got their vaccines, so it’s not like hospitals will experience overwhelming waves of patients like they did months ago. I’ve genuinely lost track of why this disease is still something to take seriously.
They literally are....
In Tarrant County, hospitalizations are trending up, public health director Vinny Taneja said Tuesday during a County Commissioners Court meeting. About 14% of hospital capacity is being occupied by COVID patients, putting hospital bed occupancy in Tarrant County at more than 85% full and adult ICU at more than 90% full.

Taneja said many hospitals in the North Central Trauma Service Area, which includes 19 counties, have exceeded their capacity thresholds, with many at 90% full.

Florida’s largest hospital systems are expanding their coronavirus units, limiting visitors and fearing staffing shortages as they deal with the statewide surge that is breaking records set last year for both cases and hospitalizations.

Hospitalizations have grown tenfold statewide in just over a month as the more contagious delta variant spreads, with more than 95% of COVID-19 patients unvaccinated, officials said.

Long-term complications? Always been there with other diseases.
Compelling argument.

Pack up the ventilators & close up the ICUs ya'll.

Freedom and civil rights come to a halt when it puts others in danger. But, this is far from some new idea in US history.

Because it's becoming more contagious and (as far as I've read), the Delta strain starts affecting the body quicker.

You ever remember growing up, stories of people being warned against smoking or drugs about how not to do them b/c of how you might end up? And then you hear about some little dip **** who thinks, "Won't happen to me".

That's happening now with people who ended up in the hospital thinking it's just going to be like a mild flu. Mild flu doesn't result in a liver-transplant & 8 months of recovery.

They literally are....

Compelling argument.

Pack up the ventilators & close up the ICUs ya'll.
No doubt bad stories, but I feel like I’ve read them all before the delta strain became a thing. People must decide for themselves if they want the vaccine or not. If they take the vaccine because some elected leader makes it impossible for them not to, then we’re heading down a path where the line between power and control gets increasingly blurred.

No doubt bad stories, but I feel like I’ve read them all before the delta strain became a thing. People must decide for themselves if they want the vaccine or not. If they take the vaccine because some elected leader makes it impossible for them not to, then we’re heading down a path where the line between power and control gets increasingly blurred.
You did because there was no vaccine, making it increasingly difficult for such situations to avoid, even with lockdowns, social distancing and masking. The problem is now that we have a vaccine that can make those challenges significantly easier to overcome, the issues are still there because of misinformation or blatant ignorance with the vaccine.

I'll agree it's up to them to take it, but it's also up to them to live with the consequences of their decision. I don't know of anyone in the US or any country that is forcing vaccines on people (military doesn't count, they have the famous Peanut Butter shot here), but I know places are now implementing restrictions to non-vaccinated people. If they don't like it, they can take their business elsewhere.

Last edited:
You did because there was no vaccine, making it increasingly difficult for such situations to avoid, even with lockdowns, social distancing and masking. The problem is now that we have a vaccine that can make those challenges significantly easier to overcome, the issues are still there because of misinformation or blatant ignorance with the vaccine.

I'll agree it's up to them to take it, but it's also up to them to live with the consequences of their decision. I don't know of anyone in the US or any country that is forcing vaccines on people (military doesn't count, they have the famous Peanut Butter shot here), but I know places are now implementing restrictions to non-vaccinated people. If they don't like it, they can take their business elsewhere.
If authoritarian restrictions encourage people to go elsewhere because they don’t play along, then the world has become sicker than the pandemic itself.

I'll never understand why non vaccinated people expect other people to accommodate them when they're not lifting a finger to help other people. To buy into their conspiracies and put themselves in danger so that the unvaxxed can go wherever they please. It seems to me like entitlement writ large, like in Hollywood sign sized letters.

I'm willing to wager that when these people become sick, they'll still expect other people to do everything they can to save their sorry asses despite their going out of their way to put themselves and everyone they come into contact with in harm's way.

It must be a Type "A"/Type "B" kind of thing.

Last edited:
If authoritarian restrictions encourage people to go elsewhere because they don’t play along, then the world has become sicker than the pandemic itself.
The places restricting non-vaccinated are private businesses which in the US, have the full right to refuse service. You're being way too over dramatic over something that's encouraged for the benefit of all.

Otherwise, there's no wonder an increasing amount of vaccinated folks have no sympathy for the anti-vaxx when a leopard eats their face.

Axios released a poll this morning that I’m still trying to fully digest. They went into the field and asked both vaccinated and unvaccinated people who they blame for the current surge in COVID cases.

You can guess who vaccinated people blame, right? Overwhelmingly they blame the unvaccinated, with a dollop of blame also going to Donald Trump and conservative media.

But who do you think the unvaccinated people blame?

No, really. I want you to guess.

You’ve got your theory?

Okay.

Well, the answer is: Foreigners.

https%3A%2F%2Fbucketeer-e05bbc84-baa3-437e-9518-adb32be77984.s3.amazonaws.com%2Fpublic%2Fimages%2F8607ff34-615b-4dde-bf3d-a20bb1061470_1516x1056.png

Yes, that’s right. Unvaccinated people blame, in descending order, foreigners and the mainstream media for the current wave of COVID. This is who they are.

There’s been a lot of told-you-so about COVID in Florida, where things are pretty bad.

Case counts in Florida are at the highest level ever—worse than the darkest period of last winter. And this is with testing at a lower level than last winter. Hospitalizations are headed way up. The deaths will follow in a couple weeks. Here’s how it currently looks:

https%3A%2F%2Fbucketeer-e05bbc84-baa3-437e-9518-adb32be77984.s3.amazonaws.com%2Fpublic%2Fimages%2F54a6f95e-fc53-4b7e-8080-64f522ce0d8a_1620x1306.png

That’s right: 39,079 Floridians have died from COVID, so far. That’s the fourth biggest total of all the states. Right now, 58 people are dying every day in Florida and that number is going to get bigger.

The conventional wisdom seems to be that this is somehow bad for the political prospects of Ron DeSantis.

I disagree.

In fact, I would propose the exact opposite: The worse things get in Florida, the better it is for DeSantis’s political future.

For a number of reasons:

• Every time DeSantis is criticized by the media, it helps him.
  • Every additional death is evidence that he didn’t cave to “the lockdowns.”
  • The more people who die on his watch, the greater a testament it is to his fidelity to the cause of modern conservatism. It proves that he’s not some RINO cuck like Mike DeWine.
  • If people really believe that COVID is the fault of foreigners, then the bigger the death toll, the more aggrieved DeSantis can be by how these nefarious foreigners hurt his state.
Let me tell you, right now, what the line will be:
Nothing bad happened in Florida. It’s all just a bunch of lies from the liberal media who want to hurt Ron DeSantis. And if anything did happen, then DeSantis did what he did because he’s a patriot who believes in freedom and keeping the economy strong. And it wasn’t as bad as what Andrew Cuomo did. And it’s all the fault of foreigners.
Anyone who thinks that failure to manage COVID could hurt a Republican with political aspirations hasn’t been paying attention. If anything, the opposite is true.

In the near term, Republican voters are going to be deeply suspicious of anyone who acted responsibly on COVID. And so the worse things get in Florida, the better it is for Ron DeSantis.

The places restricting non-vaccinated are private businesses which in the US, have the full right to refuse service.
Well, you say that, but...

"Freedom for me but not for thee."

Well, you say that, but...

"Freedom for me but not for thee."

Said last year he didn't want to enact a full state lockdown because different counties were doing better/worse than others, so it should be left up to them to manage themselves. Now, he forbids any county from doing so.

The man is scum. Any further proof is that after Abbott received a gigantic multi-million settlement from his accident that left him paralyzed, he voted to cap similar settlement costs.
When Abbott was a 26-years-old unemployed law school graduate without health insurance in 1984, a tree fell on him while he was jogging. The insurance companies for the homeowner and a tree inspection company paid Abbott a huge settlement for his claim, a settlement that would not be available today to someone who suffered the same injury but because of the negligence of a doctor thanks to the cap Abbott supported.

About half of Abbott’s award goes to medical bills according to court records. But much of the settlement came from noneconomic losses for pain and suffering and mental anguish, the same kind of losses Abbott now fights to cap, said Don Riddle, the lawyer who represented him in that case. Riddle is critical of Abbott’s pro-tort reform stance.

Last edited:
What’s with these intensifying initiatives to force strong and healthy people into getting the vaccine, especially in the US? I say “force” because in some places it’s now basically becoming impossible to avoid it if you want to carry on living a decent life. What happened to individual freedom and civil rights? I thought the United Stated wanted to be at the forefront of promoting liberal and democratic values.

Why is it so important to avoid this latest strain compared to the other corona diseases we’ve dealt with already, not to mention for centuries already? Please tell me, because I keep hearing how you’re likely to just experience mild flu symptoms. The weak and elderly already got their vaccines, so it’s not like hospitals will experience overwhelming waves of patients like they did months ago. I’ve genuinely lost track of why this disease is still something to take seriously. Long-term complications? Always been there with other diseases.
98% of the people in the netherlands that tested positive for covid have no symptoms or very mild symptoms. This includes people above 60 and people that are overweight. I'm willing to bet it goes to 99.5% when you exclude those 2. But just look online or on the news and you get the feeling that everybody is either sick or dying. Thats how you get the very insane stance where every person needs to get vaccinated and they meme'd "get vaxxed to protect others" into reallity.

I always wonder how far they can push people? They've now sold people on the idea of vaccinating ages 12 to 18 and I'm sure the vaccine pimps will sell the idea of vaccinating kids under 12 the moment the next variant hits. Maybe after that comes monthly injections to "stop the spread"? Seems far fetched but nothing suprises me anymore. The narative changes every few months and people just go along with it. "2 weeks 2 flatten the curve", "people are dying!", "hospitals are running at full capacity!", "postive case numbers are going up!!!", "this variant is more dangerous than the previous variant!!" etc..

As for the long-term complications.. I would really like to see some actual studies with supported data that shows how big of a problem this really is. From what I've seen so far, all we have are surveys and some people in talk shows sharing their expierience.

Also, the people saying "you're not being forced to take it" are being extremely dishonest because they know exactly what is ment when people talk about the vaccine being forced on people.

Did they change the definition of healthy?

I'll never understand why non vaccinated people expect other people to accommodate them when they're not lifting a finger to help other people. To buy into their conspiracies and put themselves in danger so that the unvaxxed can go wherever they please. It seems to me like entitlement writ large, like in Hollywood sign sized letters.

I'm willing to wager that when those people become sick, they'll still expect other people to do everything they can to save their sorry asses despite their going out of their way to put themselves and everyone they come into contact with in harm's way.

It must be a Type "A"/Type "B" kind of thing.
Who are you helping by taking the vaccine? You could help by keeping your distance to the weak and elderly when they awaited getting the vaccine themselves. I know I did when that was an issue in my country, and I wear face masks against my will. Besides, I always valued a good hand-wash to protect myself and others, so stop calling me entitled.

The places restricting non-vaccinated are private businesses which in the US, have the full right to refuse service. You're being way too over dramatic over something that's encouraged for the benefit of all.
This was last week:

This was yesterday:

I dread to think where it will end if people just blindly accept stuff like this. Media and politicians have manipulated the majority to be scared of a disease. Wake up and direct your fears at cancer instead.
98% of the people in the netherlands that tested positive for covid have no symptoms or very mild symptoms. This includes people above 60 and people that are overweight. I'm willing to bet it goes to 99.5% when you exclude those 2. But just look online or on the news and you get the feeling that everybody is either sick or dying. Thats how you get the very insane stance where every person needs to get vaccinated and they meme'd "get vaxxed to protect others" into reallity.

I always wonder how far they can push people? They've now sold people on the idea of vaccinating ages 12 to 18 and I'm sure the vaccine pimps will sell the idea of vaccinating kids under 12 the moment the next variant hits. Maybe after that comes monthly injections to "stop the spread"? Seems far fetched but nothing suprises me anymore. The narative changes every few months and people just go along with it. "2 weeks 2 flatten the curve", "people are dying!", "hospitals are running at full capacity!", "postive case numbers are going up!!!", "this variant is more dangerous than the previous variant!!" etc..

As for the long-term complications.. I would really like to see some actual studies with supported data that shows how big of a problem this really is. From what I've seen so far, all we have are surveys and some people in talk shows sharing their expierience.

Also, the people saying "you're not being forced to take it" are being extremely dishonest because they know exactly what is ment when people talk about the vaccine being forced on people.

Did they change the definition of healthy?
You summarized my thoughts.

Last edited:
Media and politicians have manipulated the majority to be scared of a disease. Wake up and direct your fears at cancer instead.
At present we don't know of any mechanism by which you can either catch cancer or give cancer to your friends and relatives.

Taking precautions not to spread or contract a contact-spread disease - the deadliest* disease that is this easily spread, and the most easily spread disease that is this deadly* - is not "fear" or being "scared" any more than wearing a johnny is, and that cuts out well over 90% of transmission when properly used too.

*And again, death is only about 30% of the picture here

Last edited:
Last edited:
At present we don't know of any mechanism by which you can either catch cancer or give cancer to your friends and relatives.
Which is why cancer is scarier. Most of us have probably lost three or four close relatives to cancer and nobody knows why. Most of us cannot say the same for corona disease.
Taking precautions not to spread or contract a contact-spread disease - the deadliest disease that is this easily spread, and the most easily spread disease that is this deadly - is not "fear" or being "scared" any more than wearing a johnny is, and that cuts out well over 90% of transmission when properly used too.
And I do take precautions, but excuse me for not loving the authoritarian policies being a by-product of the vaccines.

Which is why cancer is scarier. Most of us have probably lost three or four close relatives to cancer and nobody knows why.
That... is quite a statement. Nobody knows why? Really?
Most of us cannot say the same for corona disease.
And then?

And I do take precautions, but excuse me for not loving the authoritarian policies being a by-product of the vaccines.
This is also quite the statement. What policies are authoritarian, and how are they a by-product of vaccines?

Latest Posts

Back