COVID-19/Coronavirus Information and Support Thread (see OP for useful links)

• Thread starter baldgye
  • 13,234 comments
...year groups and their teachers in a bubble...basically like the compartments in the Titanic's hull...

A solid, impermeable mass at risk of suddenly sinking without a trace. At least that describes my old Year 9s.

Meanwhile in Utah...

They're managing to remain quite vocal so hopefully they're taking more comfort from their comparison than they might have.

Meanwhile in Utah... (apologies @Joey D)

This is peak southern Utah (where St. George is). It's called Utah's Dixie, which today people like to think means it's due to the mild weather, but really a majority of the residents are descendants from southerners that moved there in the 1850s.

I'm not sure how much you know about the deep south, but St. George is more aligned with Alabama and Mississippi than anywhere in the west. Utah never officially had slaves, but there are pretty strong indications that the cotton and flax fields in St. George used slaves. Not surprisingly, the Mormons here turned a blind eye to it since Mormonism is incredibly racist and up until the 1970s, believe blacks were inferior to whites and wouldn't even let them be apart of the church.

St. George was also in support of segregation and even held black-face performance, along with mock slave auctions through the 1990s. Oh, and they want to break away from Utah proper and be called "St. George, Confederate State of Dixie".

So the fact that they compare wearing a mask to the death of George Floyd is right in their wheelhouse. I'm actually surprised they didn't use some racist lingo while describing Floyd since anyone I've ever met from that area throws the n-word around like it's nothing.

Another fun fact, most of the polygamist communities in Utah are in the St. Geroge area too. There's a really good chance that a bunch of people at that rally have "sister-wives" that siphon a ton of money off the government. Shame they don't feel like stealing from the average tax-payer is against anyone's rights.

This is peak southern Utah (where St. George is). It's called Utah's Dixie, which today people like to think means it's due to the mild weather, but really a majority of the residents are descendants from southerners that moved there in the 1850s.
:eek: What a freakshow. I hope @ryzno is reading, as compared to this the effect of his migrant Californians affecting voting patterns and house prices is negligible by comparison.

Test your powers of deduction...

Situation: An obese guy is lined up to go to the same in-hospital anti-coagulation lab that I visit each month. The screener at the front desk insisted he position his mask properly over his nose (not just covering his mouth). As soon as he's around the corner, he pulls his mask down again. He is wearing a cap.

Question: Based on the above information, what is the color of the cap? For bonus points, what is the slogan on the cap?

Situation: An obese guy is lined up to go to the same in-hospital anti-coagulation lab that I visit each month. The screener at the front desk insisted he position his mask properly over his nose (not just covering his mouth). As soon as he's around the corner, he pulls his mask down again. He is wearing a cap.

Question: Based on the above information, what is the color of the cap? For bonus points, what is the slogan on the cap?
For extra credit, he's someone who doesn't like the rules. As a result, he shouldn't be allowed at the hospital unless he learns to act like a mature person.

LOL. May I suggest putting some posters up?

FB_IMG_1595087986076.jpg

Just to speak to the point about UK schools - I have a job at one. We're an independent school and ran our summer school almost as usual with a sizable intake of kids from other schools (and made a pretty disgusting amount of money off it).

We have a face scanning temperature reading camera on reception and everyone has to enter this way. Arrival times are staggered over a full hour (the school isn't particularly large) so we don't get big clusters. Everyone including staff has to get the double thumbs up from the temperature scanner (hey, that's my job!).

"Bubbles" are the thing and there are multiple break and lunch slots to stop them mingling. We've added several temporary classrooms/spaces/marquees to keep bubbles far apart.

We aren't keeping kids at home for a cold. Our current advice is a kid should stay home if they have fever symptoms, a new and continuous cough or a loss of taste and smell - and preferably at least two of the above.

I haven't seen a dangerous temperature yet. My main problems are -

Some junior school kids build up momentum coming through the door and sprint through the camera's zone, so I have to call them back.

For some reason, the camera takes longer to detect the faces of brunette girls whose hair covers their ears. It struggles with those of darker complexion too... Think a racist might have made it.

And of course the year 11 boys walk in in a scrum of 9 all blocking each others' faces.

The ones it sucks for are some of the boarders - stuck in near total isolation for two weeks trying to keep up with schoolwork without any contact time, and some of them in a new country for the first time.

Tough year for these kids, but I'm not concerned schools are going to capsize the boat here...

...provided the state schools are as on it as we are ;)

We are well and truly riding the second wave. 1753 confirmed cases in a single day. 3.9% of the tests is positive, the R number is now 1.4.

Looks like the government will start throwing around restrictions again.

News about schools in Israel, which is about to enter a strong lockdown for three weeks. No more than 500 meters travel from home. The author calls out the opening of schools as being a significant part of the massive recent upsurge in cases.

"Looking back, as several of the experts warned, the primary contribution to the current jump in the numbers comes from the schools. After a sharp rise in the incidence of infection that resulted from the reopening of ultra-Orthodox (Haredi) yeshivas in mid-August and from the large weddings in the Arab community, there was another uncontrolled opening of the state and state-religious schools.

The relaxed Israeli interpretation of study “capsules,” in which pupils and teachers move between several classrooms daily, children play together at recess and travel together in vans and buses, has crashed on the rocks of reality. The source of some 20 percent of the infections over the past week was the education system."

Here is the full article - https://www.haaretz.com/israel-news...oronavirus-will-continue-its-spread-1.9162781

News about schools in Israel, which is about to enter a strong lockdown for three weeks. No more than 500 meters travel from home. The author calls out the opening of schools as being a significant part of the massive recent upsurge in cases.

"Looking back, as several of the experts warned, the primary contribution to the current jump in the numbers comes from the schools. After a sharp rise in the incidence of infection that resulted from the reopening of ultra-Orthodox (Haredi) yeshivas in mid-August and from the large weddings in the Arab community, there was another uncontrolled opening of the state and state-religious schools.

The relaxed Israeli interpretation of study “capsules,” in which pupils and teachers move between several classrooms daily, children play together at recess and travel together in vans and buses, has crashed on the rocks of reality. The source of some 20 percent of the infections over the past week was the education system."

Here is the full article - https://www.haaretz.com/israel-news...oronavirus-will-continue-its-spread-1.9162781
It's not just schools. It's the entire country from what reports I have been hearing.

Further to our discussions about testing capacity in the UK, the Westminster government have reached out to some old friends who are sure to help us with additional lab capacity.

They said no? The Irish? I am not believe.

Talking of testing... the government appears to be using its emergency powers to flout EU law again, this time to turn the UK into a giant vaccine trialling laboratory.

https://inews.co.uk/news/politics/coronavirus-vaccine-uk-emergency-powers-approval-government-652850

i
However, the plans also include invoking a separate emergency power which would give the government and all firms, organisations and people involved in the supply chain, from manufacture to administering the jab to individuals, immunity from being sued in the civil courts if someone becomes ill or dies as a result of an unlicensed vaccine.

The conspiracists will have a field day with this.

Last edited:
The numbers for CV-19 in UK cases are wrong. https://www.youtube.com/embed/Ch7wze46md0?autoplay=1

But, he is. Getting a PhD is a pretty exhaustive peer review process. Very few qualifications require the approval of your peers to obtain. @Touring Mars's PhD might not be in epidemiology, but his background in a fairly closely related field make him more than qualified enough to point out the flaws in what you posted.
Says the guy who used lockdownskeptics.org as a source. Excuse me while I go erase that link from my browser history.

Paranoid are we? Too big of an ego?

Paranoid are we?

...Nope, from the looks of it, only you are.

Seriously now, what are you trying to achieve by all these "Hah, look over here! Got ya!" posts?

I come here to get information on this deadly pandemic that I otherwise might have missed elsewhere, yet you're making it harder to sift through endless posts debunking your less-than-honest "findings".

I won't tell you to stop, but maybe it's time you take a hard look at what you're doing right now first.

33267168-8739493-image-a-11_1600281003527.jpg

33257838-8739493-image-a-2_1600273064541.jpg

32975294-8739493-Data_from_the_Covid_Symptom_Tracker_app_run_by_King_s_College_Lo-a-7_1600280994279.jpg

33257838-8739493-image-a-2_1600273064541.jpg
What would you expect to happen after a school holidays, would you expect the number of teenagers testing positive to come down or go up? The "cases" numbers are perfectly expected and nothing to freak out over.

Prediction: You'll say it's from the Daily Mail, and that isn't peer-reviewed so it doesn't count.

...Nope, from the looks of it, only you are.

Seriously now, what are you trying to achieve by all these "Hah, look over here! Got ya!" posts?

I come here to get information on this deadly pandemic that I otherwise might have missed elsewhere, yet you're making it harder to sift through endless posts debunking your less-than-honest "findings".

I won't tell you to stop, but maybe it's time you take a hard look at what you're doing right now first.

Okay sonny. Show me one thing you've learned about Covid-19 from the wondrous posts that don't belong to me.

Last edited:
I have no idea what you are trying to prove, but the second graph is flat out wrong. The UK has never had more than about 6,000 new cases in a day (check any of the links in the OP, including wiki), much less 264,000. Then the axis of the graph is showing something in the millions??

No opinion about Mike Yeadon though.

Dr. Yeadon is an Allergy & Respiratory Therapeutic Area expert, developed out of deep knowledge of biology & therapeutics and is an innovative drug discoverer with 23y in the pharmaceutical industry. He trained as a biochemist and pharmacologist, obtaining his PhD from the University of Surrey (UK) in 1988 on the CNS and peripheral pharmacology of opioids on respiration. Dr Yeadon then worked at the Wellcome Research Labs with Salvador Moncada with a research focus on airway hyper-responsiveness and effects of pollutants including ozone and working in drug discovery of 5-LO, COX, PAF, NO and lung inflammation. With colleagues, he was the first to detect exhaled NO in animals and later to induce NOS in lung via allergic triggers. Joining Pfizer in 1995, he was responsible for the growth and portfolio delivery of the Allergy & Respiratory pipeline within the company. During his tenure at Pfizer, Dr Yeadon was responsible for target selection and the progress into humans of new molecules, leading teams of up to 200 staff across all disciplines and won an Achievement Award for productivity in 2008. Under his leadership the research unit invented oral and inhaled NCEs which delivered multiple positive clinical proofs of concept in asthma, allergic rhinitis and COPD. He led productive collaborations such as with Rigel Pharmaceuticals (SYK inhibitors) and was involved in the licensing of Spiriva® and acquisition of the Meridica (inhaler device) company. Dr Yeadon has published over 40 original research articles and now consults and partners with a number of biotechnology companies. Before working with Apellis, Dr Yeadon was VP and Chief Scientific Officer (Allergy & Respiratory Research) with Pfizer.

Talk about cherry picking. I accept your comment about the graph being wrong. I should have included this.
Data from the Covid Symptom Tracker app, run by King's College London, shows there were days in March and April when more than 100,000 cases of coronavirus were estimated to have been caught in the UK. But testing figures were showing fewer than 6,500, meaning that the numbers of cases now cannot be compared like for like, because the currently estimated number of new cases is around 3,200 and many of them are now being picked up by tests, whereas only a vanishingly small number were at the start

This is the correct graph
33261056-8739493-image-a-2_1600270360725.jpg

Last edited:
Okay sonny. Show me one thing you've learned about Covid-19 from the wondrous posts that don't belong to me.
How about YOU show us one thing you've learned about COVID-19 from the wondrous posts that don't belong to YOU? You don't seem to want to ever acknowledge points anyone has made that go against yours, or even read your entire sources before posting them.

No opinion about Mike Yeadon though.
It would help if you took the time to write a paragraph or so explaining the point that you are making with the video link, rather than just dropping a link in the post. Based on the rest of this post now, you are saying that there are way more cases being reported right now than before because there are false positives? That is fine, and I'm not going to try and dispute that, but you could also argue that if there was near as much testing in April, the case numbers would have ballooned for the same reason. If all of these extra cases are false positives, then we shouldn't see any change in the death count over the next week or two (remember it takes time for people to die after getting tested). Head count in hospitals, ICUs and morgues should be a bigger concern than case numbers anyway.

There's plenty of reasons why the number of cases/day now can't be compared to cases/day at the first peak, but with roughly the same amount of tests using roughly the same methods being done daily over the last few weeks it is pretty clear that there is an increase in cases over recent weeks, regardless of false positives or whatever.

Hospital admissions are far better defined over the whole duration, but for some reason we don't have any data for England or Wales before March 19th. I suspect the beginning of March looked a lot like the beginning of September does, deceptively calm.

As expected from the increase in positive test results, with an expected delay, hospital admissions are also increasing:

covid_hospital_admissions_2020-09-18.png

https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/healthcare

Last edited:
Back