COVID-19/Coronavirus Information and Support Thread (see OP for useful links)

• Thread starter baldgye
  • 13,234 comments
Here's a key question and answer from the above video - once again, Prof. Pagel bats it out of the park with a single, devastatingly accurate comment.

Last edited:
Kids... they’ve already worked out that fruit juice gives a positive test on a lat flow :lol:

Got my Pfizer shot yesterday, what a disappointing experience it was, I did not get a lollipop after my shot despite my boo-boo. ☹️

Anyway, I feel no side effects except a sore shoulder, could not sleep on my left side last night, but that's about it.

Friend of mine got her second Pfizer shot and she feels like crap, lots of headache and flu-like symptoms, but as I said, 2nd shot.

Last edited:
Anyway, I feel no side effects except a sore shoulder, could not sleep on my left side last night, but that's about it.
Is that your preferred side to sleep on? I sleep on my right and asked to get stuck in the left arm, and they obliged.

Last edited:
I haven't found any information about this in this thread. Maybe it has been posted yet?

Ok so I have a question: i have vaccine appointment like in four days, and I have strong doubts if I should go and get it. Like, if there's gonna be next wave and restrictions will return anyway, if the vaccines will not work for long according to what some people said, and there's gonna be need for next vac-shots, not to mention the whole mutation of virus thing, honestly, what's the point of getting vaccine now?

Here's a key question and answer from the above video - once again, Prof. Pagel bats it out of the park with a single, devastatingly accurate comment.
Another good presentation. Prof Pagel puts her view very succinctly and I agree with her manner of stating it, however, Hanlon's razor looms...

Effectively they started it in September and it's been running since then (with a break and a short period of masking). Yet there's still enough kids without immunity to have large outbreaks happening and driving the current wave of cases. How long will it take for kids to reach herd immunity? Nowhere near quick enough it seems, and slowed by children being absent from school and other precautionary measures. So not only has it not worked, it was probably a/the cause of the winter wave and quite possibly the source of the alpha variant.

So... intent, or just a symptom of the same old blind optimism that Boris defaults to?

---

For long covid stats, I think it's unwise at this point to give it as a percentage. The best one could say is that the quoted figures are the maximum %, since undetected asymptomatic cases cause considerable under-reporting of overall case numbers. That said, even halving the given percentages would still be worrying numbers.

Ok so I have a question: i have vaccine appointment like in four days, and I have strong doubts if I should go and get it. Like, if there's gonna be next wave and restrictions will return anyway, if the vaccines will not work for long according to what some people said, and there's gonna be need for next vac-shots, not to mention the whole mutation of virus thing, honestly, what's the point of getting vaccine now?
Absolutely worth it, IMO.

Right now nobody knows how long the vaccines will give protection for, but the estimates seem to keep rising as time goes on - bear in mind that any estimates (e.g. those that make the news) are nearly always looking at the worst possible outcome.

The next round of vaccines don't have a launch date yet so it's a bit of a moot point! If you take what you can now (with the exception of sinovac perhaps), and get the next when it comes, you'll likely have a broader level of protection in the end than just taking the next one. Here in the UK, it's not clear at all yet which groups of people will actually be offered the next vaccine - they would rather not pay to give it to everyone.

Do you know which one you're being offered?

Is that your preferred side to sleep on? I sleep on my right and asked to get stuck in the left arm, and they obliged.
Yes, sadly it is. I tend to get heartburn during night, but if I sleep on my left side the stomach is not elevated and acid is less likely to pool into my esophagus. I simply didn't expect the pain to be bad enough to prevent me from sleeping on my left side, for me it feels like I got one hell of bruise there.

But that's really a very minor issue, what annoys me more is that I have to lay off weight lifting that targets/includes shoulders for a couple days. ☹️

Sorry to hear that. There are reports today in the UK of a surge in non-COVID respiratory infections in young children already (i.e. not normally seen at this time of year). This was largely anticipated, but it is problematic given the strain on healthcare providers already due to the on-going COVID situation and a massive backlog of non-COVID medical care.

TB
Fingers crossed for her and you. 🤞

How long until you get the results?
On the bright side, the test was negative. Doesn't make her not sick, but at least it's not that. I guess it's interesting that she got something without getting covid. I know a bunch of kids in our area got strep throat recently, but I don't think this is that either. Non-covid stuff is spreading in our area again for what seems like the first time in over a year.

Last edited:
The question is: will it be solution?
The chance of it being the solution if everyone thinks it isn't worth it, is Zero. The chance of it being the solution if as many people have it as possible, is higher. If you don't get it, and your only reason is a doubt of it's effectiveness, you have no right to complain when your restrictions are lengthened or reintroduced because you didn't take action when you could.

.. I mean, I've had my first shot and already my 5G signal is better .. win/win!

Pfizer.

The question is: will it be solution?
Look at it this way: it's got a fair chance of being the solution, depending on uptake, and an even better chance of keeping people out of hospital. For you individually, it's got a great chance of stopping you from getting COVID and keeping you out of hospital. Choosing not to have any protection at all doesn't make a lot of sense, particularly when you've got Pfizer on offer (which still works against the South African variant, and therefore Delta Plus or whatever else comes along with the same mutation, unlike AstraZeneca).

That's specifically why I posted the video. The chances of a child dying might be slim but playing fast and loose like that is despicable.

Last edited:
Scottish health expert "baffled" by alarming rise in COVID cases among young Scottish men...

BRovZ8eCYAEuw02.jpg

An estimated 20,000 mostly young males travelled from Scotland to London and back, mostly via bus or train, from 17th - 20th June, congregating and mixing for hours on end, singing, chanting, hugging etc., with zero social distancing, precious few masks, and practically no protection from vaccines (as under 40s are still only now receiving their 1st vaccine doses)...

6-7 days later, 23rd - 24th of June, Scotland records the most positive cases ever, with almost 3,000 positive cases on both days - a massive increase since last week - more than double the 7-day rolling average from just three days ago. Now that cannot just be down to surge testing...
Suddenly I'm not so disappointed about Ireland's toothless attack.

On the bright side, the test was negative. Doesn't make her not sick, but at least it's not that. I guess it's interesting that she got something without getting covid. I know a bunch of kids in our area got strep throat recently, but I don't think this is that either. Non-covid stuff is spreading in our area again for what seems like the first time in over a year.
We had something going around here again too, other than covid.

I'm amazed at how fast it has picked up once the masks get tossed. People going maskless is still so new that it's jarring to me, and yet illness is suddenly spreading like it's 2019.

I'm amazed at how fast it has picked up once the masks get tossed. People going maskless is still so new that it's jarring to me, and yet illness is suddenly spreading like it's 2019.
We have an unusual outbreak of the RS-virus, as it is later than normal. Should be a winter epidemic. It does spread with the same speed as it normally does.

I think we're getting close to dropping the masks, but I'm keeping my mask on for now, at least until I get my second shot, and most of the population has been vaccinated.

Finally had my first shot, just now. Pfizer, it was.

The process took nearly two hours, which is something I can't understand, given all the time for planning ahead that we had and that we've been doing this for some months now.
Also, schedules are made with minute precision... Go figure.

Anyway, second shot is scheduled for July 24th.

DK
Just 10 days after ditching their indoor mask mandate, Israel has reinstated it after recording 100+ cases on successive days.
We've dropped ours today! Still wearing mine. I no longer trust my fellow country dwellers after the **** storm of stupidity I've seen this pandemic.

In other, somewhat excellent news. For the first time since September 7th 2020, we've had 24 hours without a confirmed kill for Covid.

The Delta variant of the virus had been floating around New South Wales for a few days and because of the premier's refusal to lockdown her own state, it's spread to most of the other states now - https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-06...-lockdown-wrap-restrictions-borders/100246662

This is basically the Ruby Princess incident all over again, all because of the NSW premier's continuous attack on other states going into lockdowns last year, and not wanting to back down. Sigh...

The Delta variant of the virus had been floating around New South Wales for a few days and because of the premier's refusal to lockdown her own state, it's spread to most of the other states now - https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-06...-lockdown-wrap-restrictions-borders/100246662

This is basically the Ruby Princess incident all over again, all because of the NSW premier's continuous attack on other states going into lockdowns last year, and not wanting to back down. Sigh...
Typical idiot politicians. Over here they knew the Indian variant, as it was known then, was an issue and yet they allowed flights to continue arriving from India. Then gave a date when they'd have to stop. When they'd already seen the total and complete stupidly of giving notice of these things. They did it with advance warning that the south east was moving into a harsher lockdown group so everyone tried to get out of the area. They were packed into train stations like sardines. I can't imagine the trains themselves would be any better. That was at a time when 1 out of 68 people had the disease. If you'd seen the news footage of them in the station... Anyway they fled the capital and headed out far and wide to relatives all over the place with their new, at the time, more transmissible variant..

Now they are directly responsible for the latest outbreak. Among school age children, and the adult population who happen to be the age group that makes them the parents of those kids. After they'd removed the requirement for school children to wear masks. They've not bothered to give them a jab even though that would probably be quicker that the two Covid tests they have to do each week. To be fair there wasn't much data of the vaccines and children at the time but there is now.

There's getting things wrong because you don't have the experience of this sort of thing, and there's utter wilful stupidity. The only other choice would be that they've done it deliberately. What's the law say about a government again? ...

Last edited:

This is what astounded me several days ago:

Chief health officer Kerry Chant said a three-day lockdown — like those seen in some other capital cities dealing with COVID-19 outbreaks — wouldn't work in Sydney.

She said such a short lockdown would not protect the community as the virus was already spreading.

"Three-day lockdowns don't work if you've got distributed disease," Dr Chant said.

"Three days is not long enough."

So they chose to do JS instead!!! 🤬

If three days wasn't long enough then surely it doesn't take a brain surgeon to realise that you just increase the time to whatever is needed. That's what the other sensible states do!!! It's called short term pain for long term gain for a reason Gladbags!!!! And now Sydney has a two week lockdown 🤬

Last edited:
Portugal will make unvaccinated UK visitors quarantine on arrival for 14 days...

Meanwhile, German tourists in Portugal are racing to get home before midnight tonight as Germany introduces a compulsory 14-day quarantine period for everyone entering the country from Portugal, whether vaccinated or not.

-

Someone I used to know managed to jump the vaccination queue in their country because they used their Ph.D title to classify themselves as a healthcare worker, even though they haven't worked in the healthcare sector in their entire life. :rolleyes:

-

Scotland has also just set a new record high 7-day average for positive tests - an average 2,663 new cases per day for the last week, 15% higher than at the peak of the second wave.

Last edited:
Finally had my first shot, just now. Pfizer, it was.

The process took nearly two hours, which is something I can't understand, given all the time for planning ahead that we had and that we've been doing this for some months now.
Also, schedules are made with minute precision... Go figure.

Anyway, second shot is scheduled for July 24th.
That's precisely how my first shot went, too.

For the second one, I was in an out in 20 minutes.

TB
That's precisely how my first shot went, too.

For the second one, I was in an out in 20 minutes.
My first one took less time than my second one. My first one took under 45 min. My second one took nearly 90 minutes.

Back