COVID-19/Coronavirus Information and Support Thread (see OP for useful links)

• Thread starter baldgye
  • 13,234 comments
My first one took less time than my second one. My first one took under 45 min. My second one took nearly 90 minutes.
My first one took less than 30 minutes and the second one probably only about 20 minutes total. When I arrived for the first one there was about 7 or 8 people waiting so it took about 15 minutes after I signed in to get the injection. Second time there might have been 2 or 3 so I got my injection in about 5 minutes from signing in.

Its been 5 days since I got my first Pfizer shot and I think I'm noticing some mild side effects, I've been feeling kind of hot (body heat) and super thirsty for 24 hours now (without excessive sweating), also my heart rate is slightly higher than usual and couldn't sleep very well last night, but I do not have an actual elevated body temperature. Guess that's a mild immune response, I cannot link it to anything else, have not been doing anything unusual in the past couple days that could lead to those symptoms.

Its been 5 days since I got my first Pfizer shot and I think I'm noticing some mild side effects, I've been feeling kind of hot (body heat) and super thirsty for 24 hours now (without excessive sweating), also my heart rate is slightly higher than usual and couldn't sleep very well last night, but I do not have an actual elevated body temperature. Guess that's a mild immune response, I cannot link it to anything else, have not been doing anything unusual in the past couple days that could lead to those symptoms.
I've had quite a few moments in the last 2 months where I've felt like the vaccine (or indeed the virus) may have been having an effect on me, but fortunately I am still mostly well.

I get my second shot (Pfizer) on Thursday afternoon, but the last couple of days I've had an annoying pain in my left shoulder, and even got a similar twinge of pain in my right shoulder last night too, which suggests that there's maybe some inflammatory thing doing on, hence a second dose of the vaccine this week might be fun.

Still, with cases skyrocketing here in the UK (and in Scotland in particular), I'm not taking any chances and will happily receive my 2nd dose.

So far so good here.
Since April I have been fully vaccinated with Pfizer and so nice not having to wear a mask.

As for vaccines it appears that those of mRNA versions have a 78-94% efficacy rate on the Delta variant.
Also have been saying that the vaccines may provide protection for years, where any new booster will be variant based not based off on decreased immunization.

I keep reading and I keep getting a bit more excited when where I will visit this December is slowly accepting reduced quarantine for vaccinated people starting July 1st. (Will review every 30 days) so maybe just maybe it will be where I don't have to quarantine. 😁

So far so good here.
Since April I have been fully vaccinated with Pfizer and so nice not having to wear a mask.

As for vaccines it appears that those of mRNA versions have a 78-94% efficacy rate on the Delta variant.
Also have been saying that the vaccines may provide protection for years, where any new booster will be variant based not based off on decreased immunization.

I keep reading and I keep getting a bit more excited when where I will visit this December is slowly accepting reduced quarantine for vaccinated people starting July 1st. (Will review every 30 days) so maybe just maybe it will be where I don't have to quarantine. 😁
I've read that same report about mRNA vaccines offering potentially years of protection. The issue is if herd immunity needs to be reached for this to be achieved. If it is needed, then the protection might not last as long.

Today I finally got the appointment to get vaccinated. I was offered the choice between Pzifer or J&J and I chose the latter just because it's 1 shot only and I'm done with it. It's due this Thursday.

My first one took less than 30 minutes and the second one probably only about 20 minutes total. When I arrived for the first one there was about 7 or 8 people waiting so it took about 15 minutes after I signed in to get the injection. Second time there might have been 2 or 3 so I got my injection in about 5 minutes from signing in.
My first jab took 10 minutes. I arrived 15 minutes early so I got the jab 5 minutes before I should have. The second one was quicker.

It took them a bit too long but the vaccinations here go smooth like nothing I've seen before. You go in, report to the front desk, a minute later you are seated near the poking booths and within another minute you have been vaccinated and you can take your 15 minute wait to see if any allergies pop up.

The physical therapist who got his two vaccines some time ago got very sick and had to call off the appointment on Monday. He said he would contact us again when he is better. He's in his twenties, with a good stamina (he runs a lot). So far we haven't heard of him.

He had to throw up and had a fever when he called. I hope he's all right.

Well both my children back home isolating again for the 2nd time in a month (3rd time in total for my son) due to a Covid case in their school bubbles. The isolation rules for children in England (similar in Scotland, Wales and NI as well) are unsustainable. I really hope that come September (the start of the next school year) these isolation rules are a thing of the past.

Last edited:
Well both my children back home isolating again for the 2nd time in a month (3rd time in total for my son) due to a Covid case in their school bubbles. The isolation rules for children in England (similar in Scotland, Wales and NI as well) are unsustainable. I really hope that come September (the start of the next school year) these isolation rules are a thing of the past.
Sorry to hear that. I can sympathize with how hard it is to deal with kids being sent home for quarantine. I've done it enough.

It took them a bit too long but the vaccinations here go smooth like nothing I've seen before. You go in, report to the front desk, a minute later you are seated near the poking booths and within another minute you have been vaccinated and you can take your 15 minute wait to see if any allergies pop up.
This was my experience. I showed up early for my appointment, provided my ID and insurance info, went through a general health checklist, waited a minute for the person ahead of me to get stuck and for the chair to get sani-wiped, got my arm wiped, stuck and bandaged, and headed out to the empty-but-for-the-person-before-me holding area before checking in fifteen minutes later to let them know I was good.

The second dose was a little longer on the front end because they wanted my other vax record (and didn't inform me), but they didn't push it and I got stuck and left.

Well both my children back home isolating again for the 2nd time in a month due to a Covid case in their school bubbles. The isolation rules for children in England (similar in Scotland, Wales and NI as well) are unsustainable. I really hope that come September (the start of the next school year) these isolation rules are a thing of the past.
Fortunately for us, Scottish schools broke up last week and hence a few more weeks of disruption have been averted up here.

-

Meanwhile, Scotland hit 3,887 cases yesterday, a 7-day average of 2,930 and a test positivity rate of 9.4%... a rate not seen since about a week after full lockdown was reimposed (on Boxing Day, 2020). The positivity rate in the second wave peaked a week later at 12.1%, but that was with a full lockdown. In contrast, there are currently no plans to reimpose any previous restrictions and the UK as a whole still looks set to fully lift restrictions on July 19th (though Scotland is scheduled to do so a couple of weeks later).

According to my Excel graphing skills, Scotland could be looking at some 16,000 cases a day by the 19th July. I hope that for some reason this is totally wrong - I guess that immunity levels may well prevent cases from reaching that high, and also schools are closed now so we could hopefully see this current peak (thanks partly to schools, Euro 2020 and pubs reopening) start to reverse the current trend soon... but even if the numbers only increase at the current rate for one more week, that will still be almost 7000 cases a day by next weekend.

-

I get my second shot this afternoon 🥳 - though I am a little apprehensive as this week has seen me suffering slightly from weird pains in my shoulders, similar to something my Mum had that was basically caused by an inflammatory disorder. Needless to say, I'm not expecting the vaccine to improve this situation, but hopefully it will be fine.

The rise in cases does not seem to be tracking with any serious (yet) rise in deaths and hospitalisation - a sign that vaccination and natural immunity is working - most of the UKs vulnerable population have had both doses of a vaccine.

7 kids in my son's school bubble have now tested positive for Covid - don't know which variant but it is safe to assume it is Delta given the trajectory. None of them are ill as you'd expect. My son's test is this afternoon - he has a slight temperature so I'm guessing he will test positive too. He's done all his home work for the day so now kicking back with some Apex Legends.

Last edited:
The rise in cases does not seem to be tracking with any serious (yet) rise in deaths and hospitalisation - a sign that vaccination and natural immunity is working - most of the UKs vulnerable population have had both doses of a vaccine.
I'm not as optimistic about the hospitalisation data as all that.

Looking at the data for Scotland only, the hospitalisation rate per case has definitely dropped significantly, and that is great news... but...

If you look at the 7-day average of both cases and hospitalisations (delayed by a week) for the peak of the second wave, you get the 'hospitalisations per case' rate. If you do the same with the current numbers, you get a lower rate - and that is the good news.

The bad news is that the ratio of these two rates is about 3:1. In other words, vaccines and immunity are seemingly cutting hospitalisations by 2/3rds. That's huge... but it is not massive.

At the current rate of increase in cases, Scotland will be looking at 3x more cases per day than the peak of the 2nd wave by the end of next week... and, unlike the 2nd wave peak, there's no plan to lock down again. Indeed, the peak of the 2nd wave happened well after full lockdown was reimposed across the entire country. Not so this time around.

That being the case, and with a week delay between cases and associated hospitalisations, we could well be back to 150-200 hospital admissions per day in around two weeks' time.

The data I'm looking at is here:

Last edited:
I haven't been able to find a direct answer but is it true that the EU is imposing those who got vaccine of other brand (Sinovac and others) are being denied entry? I read similar thing for the US but I later found out that was just false information.

What I'd like is for government to be upfront about what the "acceptable" level is for hospitalisations and deaths from Covid. We will never be at zero Covid, so there has to be a number that society will tolerate and allow society to return to normal. In the UK for example we tolerate 27,000+ people being killed or seriously injured on our roads every year and we tolerate 10 to 30,000 deaths in a bad flu season.

So what's the number for Covid?

Last edited:
What I'd like is for government to be upfront about what the "acceptable" level is for hospitalisations and deaths from Covid. We will never be at zero Covid, so there has to be a number that society will tolerate and allow society to return to normal. For example we tolerate 27,000+ people being killed or seriously injured on our roads every year and we tolerate 10 to 30,000 deaths in a bad flu season.

It's very difficult/impossible to put a direct number on it, but what has to be avoided at all costs is crippling the NHS.

The more COVID cases requiring ICU, the more people will die from non-COVID illnesses too.

Unfortunately, even that is hard to put a number on, because the capacity of the NHS is not a static quantity.

COVID has already caused a tonne of excess deaths (both directly and indirectly), but it has also caused significant damage to the UK's professional healthcare community, which in turn reduces the capacity of the NHS as a whole.

Another big wave of COVID cases is already on us, but this time the last resort protection of lockdown is not going to be used, so the NHS will face the full brunt of whatever the virus can do to our partially vaccinated population.

Sadly, the true toll may never be known, but I would expect to see not only another large wave of excess deaths to happen between now and next spring, but probably also much longer term impacts in terms of availability (and cost) of healthcare, waiting lists, lower life expectancy etc.

there has to be a number that society will tolerate and allow society to return to normal
But therein lies the problem - there must also be a number by which point the situation cannot be considered "normal" any more.

Last edited:
I'm not as optimistic about the hospitalisation data as all that.

Looking at the data for Scotland only, the hospitalisation rate per case has definitely dropped significantly, and that is great news... but...

If you look at the 7-day average of both cases and hospitalisations (delayed by a week) for the peak of the second wave, you get the 'hospitalisations per case' rate. If you do the same with the current numbers, you get a lower rate - and that is the good news.

The bad news is that the ratio of these two rates is about 3:1. In other words, vaccines and immunity are seemingly cutting hospitalisations by 2/3rds. That's huge... but it is not massive.

At the current rate of increase in cases, Scotland will be looking at 3x more cases per day than the peak of the 2nd wave by the end of next week... and, unlike the 2nd wave peak, there's no plan to lock down again. Indeed, the peak of the 2nd wave happened well after full lockdown was reimposed across the entire country. Not so this time around.

That being the case, and with a week delay between cases and associated hospitalisations, we could well be back to 150-200 hospital admissions per day in around two weeks' time.

The data I'm looking at is here:

Last time I looked at the ratios of admissions to cases it seemd pretty erratic! So this time round I thought I'd take a look at the rate of change, since the adage is "increasing cases lead to increasing admissions". I've taken 7-day averages, and then traced the increase compared to a week before, for cases and admissions separately. What this ought to do is mostly remove the effect of vaccination, which changes the admissions/case ratio. It gives quite an interesting chart:

1625145825910.png

It sure looks like the admissions could easily spike up to follow the cases, and they might well do that, but by this metric they haven't been tracking particularly closely recently, unlike in the autumn and winter. Eyeballing it, I'd say cases have increased at roughly 40%/week on average for the last month, whereas admissions only maybe 20%. I think this indicates that the admissions/case ratio is changing much faster than can be accounted for by increased vaccination, so some other factor is dominating. My first thought was demographics, somehow, but again can't think of a simple explanation that accounts for the continuing change.

Last edited:
There's this thing that's been bugging me for a little while now.

I know that you shouldn't go and get vaccinated if you're suffering from Covid already, and wait until you're out of the woods, but that's when you know you've been infected through the manifestation of symptoms.

What about the asymptomatic cases, though? What if you don't know you have covid currently, yet still go and get vaccinated? I was checking out CDC's FAQ page earlier but they don't seem to have any info or advice regarding this scenario.

There's this thing that's been bugging me for a little while now.

I know that you shouldn't go and get vaccinated if you're suffering from Covid already, and wait until you're out of the woods, but that's when you know you've been infected through the manifestation of symptoms.

What about the asymptomatic cases, though? What if you don't know you have covid currently, yet still go and get vaccinated? I was checking out CDC's FAQ page earlier but they don't seem to have any info or advice regarding this scenario.
I'm not a doctor, so take my advice for what it's worth.

I'd say that if you (somehow) know you have covid and are asymptomatic, you should quarantine until it's over. If you don't know you have covid, you should get vaccinated. It's probably not terrible advice for everyone to get a covid test regularly, but if supplies are limited it could cause problems.

What I'd like is for government to be upfront about what the "acceptable" level is for hospitalisations and deaths from Covid.
Well, we know from the Prime Minister's comments that he's happy for it to be in the thousands so long as they're piled high...

In the UK for example we tolerate 27,000+ people being killed or seriously injured on our roads every year and we tolerate 10 to 30,000 deaths in a bad flu season.

I don't think we can answer that until we get an idea of what the R number is like in a vaccinated society. Taking the worst example given of 27-30,000 deaths per year, that's about 84 people a day. We've now seen that 84 people dying per day with Covid, even under semi-lockdown, leads to 5 times that number within a month and 10 times that within about 3 months. I think we'd tolerate 20,000 Covid deaths per year whilst we go about our (old) normal lives, provided it was a fairly consistent number, and not spikes that lead to full-scale lockdowns. Road KSI figures simply aren't comparable, there is no R number and there's decades of data to forecast from for a given local authority to plan for.

We've now seen that 84 people dying per day with Covid, even under semi-lockdown, leads to 5 times that number within a month and 10 times that within about 3 months.
To relate that to my previous post, what you're describing there is an increase of about 50% per week. We aren't seeing anything like that currently in admissions, let alone deaths. Of course, having a 20% increase in admissions each week will still get bad if it goes on for long enough, but it gives us a lot more time.

I think we'd tolerate 20,000 Covid deaths per year whilst we go about our (old) normal lives, provided it was a fairly consistent number, and not spikes that lead to full-scale lockdowns. Road KSI figures simply aren't comparable, there is no R number and there's decades of data to forecast from for a given local authority to plan for.
The expectation seems to be that eventually it becomes another winter wave like flu, and perhaps those extra deaths spread over the winter months would be 'manageable'. I hope not - theoretically I think we have a much better chance through further vaccination of making COVID have far less of an impact than Flu, but I fear that not enough will be done.

To relate that to my previous post, what you're describing there is an increase of about 50% per week. We aren't seeing anything like that currently in admissions, let alone deaths. Of course, having a 20% increase in admissions each week will still get bad if it goes on for long enough, but it gives us a lot more time.
No, indeed, but we didn't see that kind of increase between lockdown 1 and lock down 2 either... but the second - larger - death spike still happened, eventually. I'm not saying we're not nearly there, simply that it's too soon to tell, based on what we've seen.

No, indeed, but we didn't see that kind of increase between lockdown 1 and lock down 2 either... but the second - larger - death spike still happened, eventually. I'm not saying we're not nearly there, simply that it's too soon to tell, based on what we've seen.
I'm not sure I follow you, or which months your referring to. For a while back in August we had low numbers of cases, and obviously low numbers of hospitalisations and deaths. Come September cases increased, followed by admissions, followed by deaths (and the same again from a higher starting point in December). But what I was looking at is rates of change. They used to match up quite closely - say, from end of Sept to end of Feb - and any deviation would get caught up with within a week or so. All I'm pointing out is that no longer appears to be the case, since Scotland has had a month of cases increasing by 40%/week or more yet admissions have increased at a distinctly lower rate, 20%/week or so.

So not only are vaccines having the desired effect of reducing admissions per case as expected, it looks like there's something else significant helping us as well. Yes it's too soon to tell for sure, but not because of the lag between cases and admissions (and then deaths) unless that lag has somehow become much bigger than before. We can't look at the data as we used to and say this number of cases is going to lead to some number of admissions - it's become less predictable.

(The number of deaths is too low at the moment to get useful statistics from, so I'm just looking at admissions for now).

Last edited:
Last time I looked at the ratios of admissions to cases it seemd pretty erratic! So this time round I thought I'd take a look at the rate of change, since the adage is "increasing cases lead to increasing admissions". I've taken 7-day averages, and then traced the increase compared to a week before, for cases and admissions separately. What this ought to do is mostly remove the effect of vaccination, which changes the admissions/case ratio. It gives quite an interesting chart:

View attachment 1064234

It sure looks like the admissions could easily spike up to follow the cases, and they might well do that, but by this metric they haven't been tracking particularly closely recently, unlike in the autumn and winter. Eyeballing it, I'd say cases have increased at roughly 40%/week on average for the last month, whereas admissions only maybe 20%. I think this indicates that the admissions/case ratio is changing much faster than can be accounted for by increased vaccination, so some other factor is dominating. My first thought was demographics, somehow, but again can't think of a simple explanation that accounts for the continuing change.
I was able to recreate this graph, but I don't think the interpretation of it is that simple.

Looking at the new 'wave' only, I took the cases data (rate of change of the 7-day average) and looked only at the data from the point where the rate of change starts to increase (6th May), and then took an average of those numbers (basically the average of your blue line from 6/5/21 onward. BUT, in order to compare to hospital admissions more accurately, you need to account for the typical lag between cases and admissions, which I agree is ca. 10 days. As such, I deleted the most recent 10 days of cases from the count, and get a value of 28.5%. (Note: it's 36.2% including the last 10 days data)

Do the same for hospital admissions, but this time you don't need to delete the most recent values, and you should get roughly the same percentage, and indeed you do... 26.5%, which is likely within error.

Fortunately, we will be able to test this for accuracy, as if the hosp. admissions are keeping pace with the rate of change of cases, it should increase over the next 10 days to about 36% as well.

-

I'm still trying to get my head around why there isn't more urgency in the media about the rise in hospital admissions in Scotland. I reckon that even if my sums are wrong, they can't be that far out that we are not still facing a big problem within weeks unless something changes, and by 'something' I don't necessarily mean more vaccines.

Clearly, hospital admissions are not all the same, and hence more people being admitted for less serious issues for shorter periods of time means a big difference in terms of capacity, but at the alarming rate of new cases being reported and a seemingly commensurate rise in hospitalisations (which implies that these people, while from a fitter cohort to begin with, still need medical help) is giving me serious cause for concern.

I was thinking that my figure of 33% (i.e. 1/3 of cases becoming hospitalisations compared to the previous wave) might be out because of increased testing (i.e. double tests = double cases)... but, if anything, that would surely mean that the case->hosp. conversion rate (that I've calculated at 33% of the prior rate) should be even higher, not lower - so I'm a bit confused. Suffice it to say, testing rates don't affect hospitalisation numbers anyway, but it does affect the case -> hosp. rate.

Last edited:
I was able to recreate this graph, but I don't think the interpretation of it is that simple.

Looking at the new 'wave' only, I took the cases data (rate of change of the 7-day average) and looked only at the data from the point where the rate of change starts to increase (6th May), and then took an average of those numbers (basically the average of your blue line from 6/5/21 onward. BUT, in order to compare to hospital admissions more accurately, you need to account for the typical lag between cases and admissions, which I agree is ca. 10 days. As such, I deleted the most recent 10 days of cases from the count, and get a value of 28.5%. (Note: it's 36.2% including the last 10 days data)

Do the same for hospital admissions, but this time you don't need to delete the most recent values, and you should get roughly the same percentage, and indeed you do... 26.5%, which is likely within error.

Fortunately, we will be able to test this for accuracy, as if the hosp. admissions are keeping pace with the rate of change of cases, it should increase over the next 10 days to about 36% as well.
The problem with moving admissions back 10 days is that it doesn't match up to cases any more, with admissions leading cases both when rates were rising and falling - across the whole trace! There is already some lag in to the reporting of cases I guess, whereas admissions are for the day stated.

Whether we shift the data or not, to get a reasonable comparison we should take the same number of days for the average. The most recent 30 days of admissions increases average to 17%. The most recent 30d of cases are already ahead by 2 days, and average 53%. Move back 8d, and the average is 34%. That's still significantly different, even though it includes the big dip around 11 June and excludes the big spike after.

Perhaps better than taking averages of weekly % is to chart the monthly % increases:

1625224957360.png

Again the admissions increase has remained below the cases increase for much longer than it ever did before. And partly that's what we would expect given increasing levels of vaccination. Maybe that's all it is or maybe there's another factor as well, I don't know, but it's interesting in either case.

We'll also soon see what happens in England as the wave hits the rest of the country. London has some of the lowest vaccination levels, so that's unlikely to go well.

I'm still trying to get my head around why there isn't more urgency in the media about the rise in hospital admissions in Scotland. I reckon that even if my sums are wrong, they can't be that far out that we are not still facing a big problem within weeks unless something changes, and by 'something' I don't necessarily mean more vaccines.

Clearly, hospital admissions are not all the same, and hence more people being admitted for less serious issues for shorter periods of time means a big difference in terms of capacity, but at the alarming rate of new cases being reported and a seemingly commensurate rise in hospitalisations (which implies that these people, while from a fitter cohort to begin with, still need medical help) is giving me serious cause for concern.

I was thinking that my figure of 33% (i.e. 1/3 of cases becoming hospitalisations compared to the previous wave) might be out because of increased testing (i.e. double tests = double cases)... but, if anything, that would surely mean that the case->hosp. conversion rate (that I've calculated at 33% of the prior rate) should be even higher, not lower - so I'm a bit confused. Suffice it to say, testing rates don't affect hospitalisation numbers anyway, but it does affect the case -> hosp. rate.
Well the media are not the brightest, and mostly seem to be talking about where people might be able to holiday to ☹️

Given variations in testing and vaccination rates, I'd say the best way to estimate future admissions right now is to assume the current rate of increase will continue. Whether it's 20% or 40%, it ends up being a bigger problem the longer this wave is sustained.

Last edited:
So I had my vaccine (J&J) yesterday and it was pretty smooth. I did it through my company so there was no one in the waiting line. I got in, handed over some papers, went into the doctor's office, took the shot, waited for 15min and got out.

Today I woke up with a headache, some pain in my right arm and some oscillations in my body temperature so I called in sick. Hope to be better tomorrow to go to work.

This morning I read an article reporting that the J&J vaccine is effective agaisnt the Delta variant (and some others).

Last edited:
Today I woke up with a headache, some pain in my right arm and some oscillations in my body temperature so I called in sick. Hope to be better tomorrow to go to work
This is why I don't want the damn thing.
I'm out of PTO and PPTO and used both rona 2 week quarantine allowed due to others and still tested negative for the umpteenth time.
Still begrudgingly wearing my face condom at work but I pull it down the second I'm not around someone at work.

I still think this a big nothing burger.

Back